Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Would that not be similar to the Airlines moving air crew "base locations" to cheaper countries but still flying the same routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

SNIP. No snappy comments please.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,341 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Irish that for me a bit, Im in my D4 bubble and I go to my office park bubble, its only ever when I cycle to work I go through places like Drimnagh, Ballyfermot etc. I see the local kids there, call me a cynic or classist but the idea that they will in any numbers be off to Trinners wont be happening, but they certainly have a path to being useful to themselves and society if sectors like construction,logistics include proper training and upskilling. Yes there will be an explosion in AI, give it 10 years you will walk into tesco fill up your bags and simply walk out and the shelves will be restocked by robots, same with lower end restaurants. At the same time populations are naturally falling so the absolute numbers of people looking for work will drop too so should be scarce in theory. A robot cant do house or car repairs, farms and food production cant be totally run by robots though I think Japan may almost get there.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But higher wages for staff also means higher prices for customers. I see Brexiteers on social media gleefully stating that Brexit will force up wages for British workers and how this is a huge win, but not realising this will entail price hikes for already cash strapped UK customers and an increase in inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Christy42

The issue is that the UK is running out of workers to these jobs today so the notion that robots will do it in 10 years is not helpful. Indeed it may be a pretty serious ring around the neck of those trying to get truck drivers. A lot of people expect automated driving to take off and lorry driving is the obvious first step there. It will take a lot of cash for people to train up in a job that might not be there in 10 years time when they are looking at career options. Of course this does not help the issue of getting goods on shelves tomorrow.

• Advertisement

its worth it, its not a spiralling factor its just an adjustment. if we were talking zero hour contracts I'd be happy if they were done away with, even if its just the market cos less people want to work retail, if prices go up they go up.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

thats its own thread, i'd imagine there would be an enforced transition phase where trucks are automated but still has a driver or they are automated on motorways but drivers take control off them. I doubt truck driving is anyone's first career from school they might transition from the army, public transport, commercial vehicles, construction etc. pay enough and people will show up at your door, that's basic economic incentives. If you can go from 30K driving a London bus to 60-70K driving a rig people will change careers

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Higher prices also means that exports from GB are less attractive to the recipient countries. Which can lead to a loss of competitness and higher unemployment, etc.

Yes, it's just basic economics. I'm not sure how the Brexit fans are not aware that companies being forced to raise raise wages for their staff will have no choice but to raise their prices as well to compensate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Given that Brexit itself represents horrendous economics, I would say that this is a logical corollary.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Christy42

I still disagree with this. I see it a lot for the US and it never really holds water. Companies have a lot of inefficiency as is and plenty of money goes to bonuses etc. that can go first. Plus raising wages by say 20% does not mean a 20% increase in prices since it is far less than a 20% increase in total costs so even then a raise in wages won't see a ridiculous increase in prices. There will be some increase but not enough for me to be worried about that side of Brexit.

But this is a situation where pay rises have been forced on the company to try and stay competitive. The companies that can easily afford to give pay rises will probably give them anyway and don't need the Brexit shotgun pointed at their head to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

"Posted workers" is a thing. There's an obvious issue about whether I can recruit a worker in (say) Poland on a Polish employment contract at Polish rates of pay, and then post him to work in another member states where he will be either working alongside or competing with locally-recruited and employed workers who are getting local rates of pay. There is a framework for controlling and regulating this, and deciding whether and in what circumstances it is acceptable, in the Posted Workers Directives. Not saying that it's perfect, by any means, but the point is that it exists and the UK could, if it wished, have sought to get the matter of HGV drivers addressed through that framework, rather than by Brexiting.

Well, perhaps.

But the point to grasp here is that improved pay for UK lorry drivers doesn't come at the expense of the Polish, etc, drivers who are now excluded from the UK market, as a Brexit voter hoping for better pay might have assumed. It comes at the expense of UK businesses and their customers — many of whom may earn less than the lorry drivers.

What's happening here, in other words, is a transfer of wealth between different people in the UK. There isn't a net increase of wealth in the UK; in fact the opposite.

see how it goes, one of the problems of the neolib economies we live in is corporations wanting to pay the lowest they can which generally targets the working class of these countries because they are both vulnerable to tech changes, open migration, a black economy and a welfare system on the other side which creates poverty traps. So if I see in this case a small example of earning power going back to a tiny group of people like transport workers, its a positive

I'm not unsympathetic. But we need to think this through. If earning power is going to this group of people, who is it coming from? We know that it's coming from someone, given that there is no net increase of wealth here. And if we don't know the answer to the "who is paying for this?" question, then we cannot say that this shift in earning power is making the world a tiny bit more just; it may in fact be making it a tiny bit more unjust.

You and I might like to think that this increase in drivers' pay comes out of the pockets of the fatcat capitalist oppressors. But our liking to think this doesn't make it so. And, if we're honest, considering the context in which this is happening and the people who are driving it it is probably very unlikely that this is so because, if it were so, none of this would be happening, or at the very least it would be fairly rapidly reversed.

So I'm kind of sceptical that, if you dig into this, you'll find that the lorry drivers are gaining at the expense of the corporations. It will be just one group of workers being played off against another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

According to various sources on the internet,the shortage of hgv drivers is Europe wide,not just the UK.

There are shortages in other countries, but the shortage is exacerbated in GB by Brexit, which (a) has excluded a significant number of previously active HGV operators from the UK market, and (b) has made HGV driving in the UK less attractive/remunerative even for those qualified to do it. Brexit-cause delays and congestion mean that journey times are longer, which means that drivers earn less, because they are paid by the kilometre, not by the hour.

It's really only in GB that the driver shortage has been severe enough to lead to supermarkets running out of produce items, pubs not having beer, filling stations closing, etc.

According to this Irish article there are European countries as bad or worse than the UK which suggests brexit is only a part of the UK shortage.

https://www.hgvireland.com/

• Advertisement

Slightly confusing post,where is 'us' exactly as you refer to the EU (and us)?

No! I know exactly who pays for increased pay but in this particular case a driver transports millions of £ of goods a year, maybe 10's of millions so even doubling their pay wouldnt make a notable impact to the price of anything, so your flat screen tele costs 401 quid instead of 400 if its even that, not a big deal. The point is do you only see things from the perspective of the unthinking consumer who naturally wants stuff at the cheapest or from the people who make up the society and that includes the people grinding it out that one would rather not think about.

While I think its perfectly ok for there to be a certain amount of "mcdonalds" jobs done by teenagers or other young people where everyone agrees its not meant to be a career choice, systematically turning industries like animal processing for example into low paid jobs that require several people living in small accomodation doesn't seem "fair" . Difficult physical jobs deserve a premium in a society where people aren't queing up to do them, basic demand and supply

not everyone is a software engineer, there is a class thing going on here that you are papering over, why did brexit go through? because more people in the north of england (not software engineers) and I assume on lower pay felt disconnected and felt they had nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think in reality it's quite difficult to give such a pay-rise to just the HGV drivers. Everyone else in the chain will want a similar rise as well.

Take the person who rosters the drivers and coordinates their routes - might currently be on 10% more than the drivers. Give the drivers 20% and that person is now on less than the drivers and is unhappy. Give that person a similar rise and then his/her line managers want the same.

Meanwhile in the warehouse the people who load and unload the trucks - the forklift drivers, the paperwork checkers, the warehouse manager. They see that the company is clearly able to give 20% rises and aren't going to settle for 2%.

In such a strongly unionised industry, I'm not sure that your 'just pay the drivers extra and it won't impact too much on the overall costs' plan is going to work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I agree with everything except the last paragraph. There's a palpable sense of hypocrisy here from wealthy Brexit voters who were happy to strip away others' rights to remain here and everyone else's right to move about Europe but were outraged when they'd have to pay a visa fee to go to their Spanish villas.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

nobody is arguing for 0 migration but it should be legal and the numbers/skills should be a best guess at what a particular country needs and in the round the US if it outperform China one of the reasons will be because it has access to a talented pool of migrating workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

EU rules on cabotage restricts hauliers to a maximum of three cabotage operations within the seven day period following the delivery of an international load (Unlimited in the Single market).

Post Brexit limited to 1 in GB and 2 in NI

A journey to the GB by EU hauliers is now meaningless

It always was legal, that's the thing. Instead of an incompetent government with a record of venality where Brexit loyalists are only allowed to fail upwards, migration behaved according to the market with people moving to the UK for work for the most part. What's odd is that while free movement is a central tenet of the single market the UK lobbied so hard to create, non-EU migration outstripped EU migration in the years leading up to the referendum. Why this was allowed to persist when conservative media constantly demonises migrants is something I don't get unless of course, it was beneficial to the country.

The gaping hole in your thesis is that most migrants from the EU come to the UK for the opportunities that are here. HM Government has shown no sign whatsoever that it can respond rapidly to the evolving needs of the skilled labour market. Instead, what's like is a tedious visa system which puts off talent. I knew someone in Manchester who was a manger of clinical trials and studies. He was in the process of moving to Australia for well over a year before giving up as he correctly deemed it to not be worth the trouble.

It’s frightening to see the level of poor analysis and blind ideological nonsense being pushed in the U.K.

They’ve a modern, services based economy that’s driven by having high quality education.

If you cut the university sector by half, you'll simply make a whole generation of people unable to compete in the global market place, shrink the British economy and destroy the progress made since the 1960s.

Modern Britain was built on access to quality education. It was the very comprehensive schools the Tories hate so much and the access to 3rd level that turned it from a relatively mediocre blue collar industry focused place into a modern economy.

You can’t turn back the clock and become a mid 20th century industrial society because the circumstances that economy exist in no liner exist end cannot be just returned to.

The world has changed, wages for those kinds of jobs have dropped due to the rise of places like China, and there have been massive technological changes due to automation that have made a lot of older jobs far less relevant and far less valuable.

If they keep listening to this imagined golden era nostalgia, nationalism and jingoistic nonsense they’re going to sink their entire way of life.

You can’t run a country and a complex society and economy on dogma and misinformed fantasy.

• Advertisement

See, the problem isn't so much that the UK is a services-based economy. The problem is that both major parties fully embraced neoliberalism and dodgy laissez-faire economics. The tenets of this ideology were to shrink the state, outsource as much as possible, embrace free trade and burn regulations. The proceeds from a service-based economy could easily have been used to invest in poorer areas but were instead just handed to the 1% via tax cuts and tax evasion. Vast swathes of the country have been allowed to rot for the benefit of a microcosm of society and only with this sort of chasm could you get people to repeatedly vote against their own interests (though FPTP helps).

Advertisement