Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What’s to explain? I’m not putting the statistic forward as evidence of anything, and I’m not sure what your point in putting it forward is either to be honest? You want to cherry pick statistics and then play the victim by claiming at any point I accused anyone of racism?

There’s that whole concept of guilt by association you don’t appear to be familiar with. If however you were interested in putting your cherry picked statistic in its proper context, then it portrays a very different picture of reality where the vast majority of criminals in the UK are more likely to be of the same ethnicity as your good self -

Statistics on Race and the Criminal Justice System 2018

You can also read the explanations provided for yourself and draw your own conclusions rather than expect I’m going to waste time arguing a point I never made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

That's clearly because of the racial profiling! /s

Really now, given that it was proven that police are actually LESS likely to go against muslim men out of fear of being perceived as racist, imagine how much higher the real % really is.

And that’s all anyone could do - is imagine. That’s what you’re expecting people to do when you present a stereotype which suits your narrative, but you shouldn’t expect that anyone else who doesn’t care for your creativity is going to agree that what you dream up in your own mind IS reality. It’s kinda like expecting that anyone is supposed to entertain “700,000 Pakistani immigrants in one year” nonsense.

I’m curious about your assertion that it was proven that police are less likely to go against Muslim men out of fear of being perceived as racist though? The police officers in question would have to perceive themselves as racist first in order for them to justify their reasons as to why they do not go against Muslim men on the basis of their race? Are you asking me to imagine how prevalent racism is among UK police officers? I suppose I could ask them individually, but they’d probably see me coming a mile off 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

In order for PC - WOKE theology to succeed , truth and common sense must often be slayed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Yep, never happened.

A senior police officer admitted that his force ignored the sexual abuse of girls by Pakistani grooming gangs for decades because it was afraid of increasing “racial tensions”, a watchdog has ruled.

After a five-year investigation, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) upheld a complaint that the Rotherham officer told a missing child’s distraught father that the town “would erupt” if it was known that Asian men were routinely having sex with under-age white girls.

The chief inspector is said to have described the abuse as “P*** shagging” and to have said it had been “going on” for 30 years: “With it being Asians, we can’t afford for this to be coming out.”

His incendiary language features in a confidential report by the watchdog

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/police-chief-we-ignored-sex-abuse-of-children-hgrhc358v

• Advertisement

Head in the sand fingers in the ears, it all good, all this never happened and even if it did it will never happen here in Ireland because if I am to admit that I'm concerned that will mean I'm racist and we really can't have that. We can have rapes and bombings and beheadings, but that's a small price to pay in order to preserve the non racist all welcoming image because that's all that matters.

Did I say it never happened? Don’t be putting words in my mouth and trying then to pretend I said things I didn’t. I told Cordell I was curious about what they were referring to because it seems as though they’re making out that UK police officers are racist, and I don’t think that’s the case, and the case you present above is insufficient to support tarring police officers in the UK with the same brush in the same way as you’re eager to tar immigrants with the same brush.

That’s not sticking my fingers in my ears or any of the rest of it, it’s pointing out that you’re desperate to make a greater issue out of something on the basis of little evidence to support your claim, “sky is falling” if a bird shìts on your head sort of mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

But many of the people coming here can be coming here because we're more liberal when it comes to sexuality, to be gay in Brazil or Iran is hard, so many come here to escape it.

I love to see the mix of people in Dublin, I feel it brings different ways of thinking. I don't think everyone coming here is getting low paid jobs, they are just the ones that are more visible, if you want evidence that there are people coming here for better-paid jobs, go to the pride parade, many tech firms had staff march in the parade and it was great to see the mix of people in the company's groups marching.

I for one love to be among people from different backgrounds. I was cycling home yesterday and could see some couples who were quite possibly from different countries, Irish and non-irish, it just made me smile.

To say this multicultural thing is destined for failure depends on what you'd set as failure or success. Just that I can mix with people from different countries when I'm out and about is a success of kind for me alreaady.

Sky is not falling. Id did fall for some of the parents that lost their children in the Manchester Arena bombing but everyone else is just fine. You know, like they used to say about smoking, 1 in 4 smokers die because of smoking, but that's nothing, the other 3 are just fine.

No, it means the two ideas which you’re so determined to conflate are unrelated. It’s absolutely plausible to be in favour of immigration AND abhor the ideas of rapes, bombings and beheadings. You’re arguing as though through immigration they’re an inevitability, and they’re not, and they never were, and they never will be.

That’s happening only in your imagination, and you need other people to believe it in order to convince them that immigration is bad, whereas what’s actually bad are rapes, bombings and beheadings, regardless of the ethnicity or sex of the perpetrator(s).

• Advertisement

UK police admitting to 30 years of Pakistani men having sex with underage white girls, with their knowledge, is pretty much the definition of a great issue!! Your attitude towards the victims of these attacks is disgusting.

It appears that much like your inability to distinguish between immigrants and criminals, you don’t appear to be able to distinguish between a senior police officer, and UK police.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

There's nothing to distinguish; it's the same culture no matter what label you apply.

There clearly is plenty to distinguish between immigrants and criminals? There’s you applying the label of culture to two distinct groups and then saying it doesn’t matter what label is applied! Clearly it does matter - one group has the presumption of innocence, the other group have been found guilty of criminal offences.

You want to differentiate between the two groups on the basis of ethnicity to support your argument against immigration, so don’t tell me it doesn’t matter what label is applied!

You still haven't answered this one, it's only about convicted criminals.

C'mon jack, explain this one away for us, if u can't just keep shouting racism etc. It'll have to do! -

12% in UK prisons for rape are Muslim men. Muslims are 4% of the population and men are less again

Wait a second, are you seriously arguing that women are not treated as second-class citizens in Muslim-majority countries?

They are treated as the property of men, and that's putting it mildly. Violence against women is on an unimaginable scale compared to Western countries.

Why do you deny reality?

Accept it. And then perhaps you can understand why we don't want that culture mass imported into countries with progressive, Western values that took long enough to achieve.

I’m not denying reality at all simply because I don’t have to justify arguments I’ve never made in relation to multiculturalism and immigration. YOU want to argue using a stereotype that immigrants think a certain way and that’s why they shouldn’t be permitted to enter Ireland, but don’t call that reality.

I’m not even going to ask what “Western values” you think you fought for when it’s apparent that the vast majority of people in the West clearly do not share your values with regards to immigrants.

"it’s apparent that the vast majority of people in the West clearly do not share your values with regards to immigrants." - The only way to gauge that is to have a vote on immigration. The last time we did, it was extremely clear that the people wanted the immigration loophole ended. Brexit was also based on immigration, amongst other things and also passed. The Poles voted for a leader who keeps their borders closed, same with the Hungarians and Orban.

I am in favor of immigration as long as it's done properly, only welcoming people that belong here, that are happy to contribute and integrate and be grateful for what they find here. I should know as I'm an immigrant myself.

And no matter how hard you find it to accept, with a certain type of immigration there's always a certain type of problems, it is a fact and it happened everywhere, in every western country that had this type of migrants. You can't call me a racist for stating the facts.

It’s curious how you don’t apply that same rationale to the argument you’re making when you try to portray immigrants as criminals? Notwithstanding the fact that I can support my perspective with surveys too -

People outrightly opposed to immigration are in a minority in most countries in the West (the survey above only concerns Europe), and of those people opposed to immigration their major concerns are economy and security. From that we can say with confidence that the vast majority of people in Western society do not share Anne’s ideas of “Western values”. I have no idea what Anne’s ideas of “Western values” are specifically that they claim to have fought for, but given their opinions are in a minority, it’s safe to say their values whatever they are, do not constitute Western values.

• Advertisement

A three year old poll. Well, can't argue with that.

Well, you can, if you want to, while keeping in mind that I didn’t argue with the dates of your examples. Go back and look at the dates of your own examples if you want to make the point that the standard everyone should be held to is only what’s happening at this present moment in time. I’d think you were being silly and dishonest, but feel free to make that argument if you wish, as long as we’re all being held to the same standard.

The examples I gave were literal votes given to the entire populations of countries. The one in Ireland was the highest a referendum had passed by for a long time, it passed with more of the popular vote than the recent gay marriage vote.

Brexit was also put to the people of England, Scotland, Wales and NI. It too passed.

Neither was a straw poll of 1000, or whatever number of random people. My examples were real world, actual votes. Your example was a polling company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

"Immigration concerns fall in Western Europe, but most see need for newcomers to integrate into society" Integration is antithetical to the creation of a multi-cultural country so thats not really a counter argument.

To say this multicultural thing is destined for failure depends on what you'd set as failure or success.

I'd go with the economic cost and social stability.

In every western nation where the multiculturalism experiment has been encouraged, it's resulted in divisions in society with each minority seeking a piece of the pie. All with their own individual views on the place of women in society, how children should be treated, homosexuality, etc along with the perceptions on corruption in society and authority. Just as in every western nation, at the bottom of the economic groups in terms of wealth and employment, you will find migrant groups. That includes migrants who have been in a country for two or three generations.

Yes, there are many skilled/educated migrants who either come under limited visas (and leave) or a lesser group who come here and stay. There's others who gain an education here, and leave or stay. Indeed there are.

This is not an all or nothing proposition. That's the problem on this thread. The belief that when posters criticise multiculturalism or immigration, then that must mean we want a completely white nation or not immigration at all... if you go through the thread, there is extremely little of that going on. In fact, skilled immigration is well supported here regardless of where the migrant comes from..

However, there is a cost.. and it's a cost that has been deferred by our governments for decades. It's the rising welfare costs, the costs allocated to migrant groups and NGOS, the costs separately assigned to poverty related organisations, the upsurges and change in the manner of crime in Ireland. Not it's not all about the migrants, but they are part of the overall problem.

Let's not forget that Osama bin Laden had a degree in Civil Engineering.

Crackpot ideas, attitudes, and behaviour is not limited to uneducated migrants.

Err.. Let's not go there. That's American bs..

I'd be more concerned with rising foreign populations and the taking over of suburbs or depopulated towns, similar to what's happened in France, with the enforcement of their own cultural/religious customs on the local/native people (or pushing them out). Educated migrant groups are just as likely to have strong religious/cultural beliefs, as the poor migrant groups. IF anything, probably stronger beliefs, because they would have moved here due to economic considerations, and have less reasons to feel grateful to Ireland for settlement.

Well you brought up the integration aspect, I didn’t, and in any case integration does not mean assimilation, as some posters here appear to think it should on the basis that they imagine everyone in society already shares their values. They certainly do not. Multiculturalism is not necessarily all about immigrants.

Marine Le Pen has some good points on this question.

She doesn't desire integration on the basis that it creates communities within the national community, so to speak. Le Pen argues for assimilation into the French national identity, being absorbed into the identity rather than living as separate communities from it. And I think she's bang on, too.

Yes, we can take in migrants from different countries. But we should strive for assimilation with manageable numbers coming into our country, and not integration that creates separate national ghettos where different communities live alongside each other rather than together.

• Advertisement

Probably did fall for some of the 200 + injured in the Manchester bombing in 1996 also.

Do we believe Irish people should have been banned from England after that particular attack?

Advertisement