Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and Nato withdrawal from Afghanistan...- threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

If they were exploding equipment in the airport there would be sizeable blast berms with evidence of activity. Surely that'd be reported by now?

And what about reporting of actual explosions going off in the airport's area at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Well take your pick, burn or explode,,there's no doubt that they are beyond repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Exactly, setting off explosives In a volatile situation as we seen last week could have opened up a massive gunfight that could have left many innocents dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Well at least some good news in that Pen Farthing got his rescue Dogs and Cats out despite all the begrudgery and abuse from cnuts who think Humans only should get 100% of the rescue effort.

He says he successfully completed the mission by negotiating with the Taliban, after getting nothing but hindered by the British government.

My respect goes to this guy, he is the only one in the whole sorry debacle who deserves it.

• Advertisement

Well apparently thats exactly what they did..

Quote " Troops likely used thermate grenades, which burn at temperatures of 4,000 degrees Fahrenheit, to destroy key components of the equipment," USA Today reports, citing a Pentagon official, while "some pieces of equipment were likely blown up" at the airport." UN QUOTE , .

( Excerpt taken from one of Timberrrr's post's )

Yes, but salvageable for parts, and thats the difference, like the one beside the dog kennels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Strange how all those Empires on their last legs seem to go to Afghanistan when in their death throes 😒

Jesus it shouldn't be this hard.

You have twenty helicopters, you smash the control consoles or even just take out the CPU on all twenty, now you don't have helicopters anymore you have expensive junk.

You have all the salvagable spare parts you want but without that console or that CPU then those piles of junk are never leaving the ground again, now do you understand?

Post edited by Timberrrrrrrr on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Advertisement

Its not hard Timber..at least for me, but the whole thrust of this conversation as far as I'm concerend anyway, is to try and find out out exactly what the Taliban have, and is servicable. And one way to do this is to see whats beyond use. And trust me, I'm fully aware of what it takes to make something beyond repair....I've come across plenty of them. Now do you have any idea of what the Taliban actually have?

But you're the one claiming that they will have usable military tech (planes, helicopters etc) when its pretty clear that they will not.

🤣🤣😂🤣🤣🤣😂

I'm sitting in a airport, waiting for a flight to be called, with time on my hands, Loafing. Enjoy, with my blessing.😀

Post edited by jmreire on

I commented on one particular helicopter that according to the pic had repairable external damage. I also mentioned that without interior pics, it was hard to see if it had been completely destroyed or not. One aircraft, not multiple ones. And I also mentioned that in another hanger there were aircraft that were clearly beyond repair. Now do you have any idea of the NR of Aircraft, Humvees etc that the Taliban do have.. because, these are the Aircraft / Vehicle's that are important. The ones proven to be beyond use can be subtracted from the total list to make a definite list.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Biden's name and presidential term will always be dogged by this enormous failure. The US literally got their arses handed to them on a plate by the Taliban. I can't stand Islamic extremists like them and everything they stand for but you can only admire their fighting spirit and perseverance against western empires. Tough mothertruckers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Your implication was that the US was doing a poor job by not putting old equipment out of commission, using a picture of a helicopter with external damage as evidence of that, then it was explained that you may not be able to see the damage that makes the helicopter a pile of steel and cabling rather than a military weapon.

Then somewhere the point of your post was lost as Timberr explained in different ways how they could be put out of commission without fire and explosions (thermite not being an explosive).

So, starting again, what point are you trying to make?

I would imagine the main 2 points in history will be the Bush/Cheney decision to go in and nation build and then the trump peace deal with the enemy they were trying to defeat.

The ending of "over the course of a week, over 100,000 people were safely evacuated by the Biden administration" will be barely a footnote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You are not in Kabul airport by any chance?

Because if you are then that flight aint going to be called so you might as well mooch round and get photos of all the kit that is left just to confirm to some people that some shyte was indeed left.

On a more serious note there is loads of kit left as the equipment given/sold to Afghan army is all nearly there.

And as I said before a lot of the stuff can indeed be used.

Even the more technical stuff like aircraft can be used, parts can be gotten by cannibalising other non flyable aircraft if you have the technical know how to do it.

But eventually the US made kit becomes an issue because they won't have the parts and probably the skills to fix them.

But all the Soviet/Russian kit (Mi-8, 17, 24, 35) will be usable.

They just need to "convince" some pilots and engineers to work with them.

Also those humvees are shyte, they are probably better off sticking to the Hi-luxs.

Supposedly the US troops disabled or demilitarised 73 aircraft in Kabul airport.

Oh and they disabled the C-RAM system just before they left.

But remember that is only Kabul, all the other bases just fell into Taliban hands without really a fight.

BTW the Taliban reckon they can repair the blackhawks, chinooks, etc.

Maybe they reckon they can fly with a Toyota 4litre Hi-lux engine 😁

I am not allowed discuss …

No I'm not in Kabul Airport right now, but I've been there many times before when I lived and worked in Afghanistan. I've also flown in the Mi-8's. and a couple of STOL's. Plus more standard passenger type aircraft. I'm pretty familiar with what its like to keep road vehicles operational. in the Afghan context, and I'd imagine that it takes a whole lot more to keep aircraft operational. What I was wondering about was what was left operational in Kabul ( or not ) so that Nr can be subtracted from what is the total that was handed over/ donated to the ANA etc. That whats left in Kabul and can be used for parts etc. for sure !!!. I'm not talking here about Avionics etc, its well understood that these are well and truly "put beyond use" But there has to be some amount of gear left in locations outside Kabul.Its a big deal now, propaganda-wise for the Taliban, but as you have said, and I agree,,give it time, until the lack of maintenance kicks in, then we will see how much will be indeed operational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

That evacuation will be remembered as much as the Siagon one, maybe even more so as people fell from the planes and then you have suicide bombings. You can’t blame the previous administration for an evacuation you are in charge of.

a) Of course you can blame a previous administration, whether you're successful in placing that blame depends upon how inept the previous administration was and your own level of ineptitude.

b) The news cycle has already moved on and it's not on the front page of most news sites, Saigon was era defining, Afghanistan has been flagged years ahead and compounded by a peace deal made with the Taliban, the zeitgeist isn't there for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

He’s going to get blamed for the evacuation mess. These days the news moves faster but this will still be brought up. I don’t know if it intentional but he’s not in the news much. It as if they forget about him.

What tough mothertruckers????? Sending brainwashed suicide bombers into crowds of innocent men women and children???? Beause thats what they have been doing the last 20 years,,,,and now, give it a bit of time, and you will see ( or maybe not, as it may well become an information black hole) There are reports of Bagram being a 2nd Abu Ghaib under the US / Afghan Govt...just wait and see what it will be like under the new "management", with the tough mothertruckers in charge....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Believe what you want. But thats not what happened. The US and Allies left. That's only reason the Taliban are back.

While I might disagree with the how they did the withdrawal, fact is was done with a minimal loss of life to the US troops and others military on the ground. That's not to ignore the terrible loss of life among civilians. But historically withdrawals have often been far worse than this.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

None of it is important. Because its not important, we don't need a list.

Maybe not to you Flinty ( or me either, under the present circumstances} But I guarantee you this much, there's people burning the midnight oil at this moment trying to find out exactly what the Taliban now have....and what condition it is in. And not just the Americans either. For this, a list will definitely be needed, especially if some of it starts to turn up in the west.

Post edited by jmreire on

Yes, Thats what happened,,the Taliban did not have to fight at all, regardless of all the talk about defeating and driving out the Great Satan..the mightiest military power in the world. Which goes down great in Islamic countrys. But if for some reason the same military decided to return, they would make short work of the Taliban. And there are stories emerging about the Taliban tracking down Government officials, police and military, and killing them. So the real bloodshed may be only starting. Not good for the Afghan People no matter which way you look at it, and maybe not good for the west either.

Curious how you think they will get a Humvee from Afghanistan to Ireland for example in such a way thats its threat to someone in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Where did I mention anything about moving humvees to Ireland? ( or Europe either ?) and what would be the point of even moving them? But Weapons, explosives etc. Theres a very strong possibility that at some stage we will see them being used in Europe

Advertisement