Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year olds able to change gender in Scotland

Options

Comments

I suppose it really depends on your definition of "transphobe" which seems to run the gamut from "hates and despises trans people" to "does not believe that humans are sequentially hermaphroditic".

While I agree that gender is "trivial" in the grand scheme of things, in terms of individual identities, it is only trivial in the main in a world when charities permitted into our schools and able to lobby government policy makers are not trying to convince children and young people that it is a solid, intrinsic and important part of everyone, that everyone has something akin to a gendered "soul", and that gender traits can indicate anything to do with sex, which can be changed.

There are not two genders. There is a spectrum of gendered behaviours that run from masculine (i.e. more commonly found in males) to feminine (i.e. more commonly found in females), which can exist in people of any sex.

There are two sexes (and a small minority with chromosomal disorders that fall outside that binary) and no matter what you say, you will always be the sex that is written in your DNA. Maybe one day that will change and genetic editing will be able to make males female and vice versa, but as of right now and for the foreseeable future, that is impossible.

Since no person can change their sex, and only a minority of trans people will "pass" well enough that they will be seen as the opposite sex by other people, the resulting psychological pain regarding the difference between the self-perception of the gender dysphoric or trans person and the reality that is perceived by other people is a matter for psychologists and psychiatrists. I can think of no other psychological disorder where we expect the world to alter itself around the individual, rather than treating the individual. We don't agree with dangerously thin anorexics that they are fat; we give them counselling and help to try and gain weight and resolve the issues that cause their eating disorder. We don't tell ADHD people that the world needs to organise itself around their lack of executive function; we give them therapy, coaching and tools to help them compensate for their deficits in executive function. Similarly, we should help gender dysphoric people (however they choose to present) come to terms with the immutability of their sex, instead of insisting that it's the world (and their DNA) that is wrong and sending them on their way with hormones, surgery appointments and a pat on the arm so that they can feel forever marginalised when the world at large does not conform. If someone's day or week can be completely ruined by being called "sir" instead of "madam", or by believing that someone, somewhere in the world might be referring to them by the wrong pronoun in their absence, and our mental health guidance does not see that as an area to build resilience in the individual, then those people are being failed.

It may be possible, for a short time, to draw the majority of a given culture into a belief in some supernatural "gender identity" that exists apart from the organism and culture, and to give certain identities a higher status than others and enforce deference. Religion is as old as humanity, after all. But expecting that you will be able to build a culture where humans eventually and permanently do not recognise sex—something that everything from fruit flies to mice to chimpanzees recognise instinctively and easily—is wishful, deconstructionist thinking. Which means that in addition to getting people to mind their business when adults are living their lives as they wish to and not hurting anyone, we should also be helping trans and gender dysphoric people build resilience such that when their sex is noted by someone else, it is not a devastating experience for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I have children.

The only thing that should be said to a small child that says they're the opposite sex/gender is something along the lines of "Okay, that's nice, what will we have for dinner?"

If it's persistent, then you might get a referral to a CAMHS psychiatrist/psychiatric nurse (my wife is the latter) for assessment.

At no point should transition be discussed with a small child, and no way should anything like this ever be kept from parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Morgans

I would class your post as pretty transphobic. It does "sound" like you have an appreciation of the dilemma that some people face, in believing that their gender does not match the biology they were born with. However, it progressed into highlighting how the use of pronouns is trying to shape our society to their unfortunate deformity. Like the earlier scenario re the midwife, i believe trans people must be willing to meet people half-way, the vast majority of those who are trying to understand, who carry no intent to diminish, should be accept that well-meaning people and shouldn't be made an example of if they use the wrong pronoun or call them sir rather than madam. I would think most reasonable people feel this way.

Intent is critical and pretending that there aren't out and out transphobes who use reasoning like yours above to deny any change to society to accommodate their experience, who act with disgust when people add pronouns to their twitter bio, who claim that they are only against transitioning because of the mental health issues that it causes. Just like the now-forgotten trans people at Olympics was about to cause the world to collapse. That the real issue is the unfairness to female athletes. Its all part of the bullshit, and while you might think you are not part of it, you are.

The world would be a better place if people whose 'deformity' was catered for, whether it is physical or mental. No one is losing anything by having a ramp before public buildings. If more public environments were autism friendly, it certainly wouldn't be a bad thing. Dementia-friendly environments is going to be a far bigger issue in the future. Yet somehow you and society is so inconvenienced by the use of pronouns and how people are referred to. There was never an issue in changing how a married woman is referred to from Ms. to Mrs. or to a completely different surname. That doesn't seem to be an issue for anyone. What people are referred to is only an issue in some cases. There is something far deeper at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bewareofthedog

There's a big part of the equation you guys are leaving out imo, which is that there has to be x amount of people claiming to be transgender who aren't genuine and are using the title as some sort of narcissistic power play. It's not outside the realm of possibility that people get off on it when they feel power over others because they're forcing others on how to address them and the consequences that may bring if they disobey. There's probably countless reasons why some people jump on the bandwagon, e.g. lonely outcast type sees the opportunity to join a protected group.

If everyone was genuine it would be a different story, but human nature cannot be blindly trusted. If someone wanted me to address them differently, I would want to meet that person and find out for myself whether or not they seemed genuine, if I thought they were I wouldn't have a problem with it. If I thought they weren't genuine I wouldn't entertain them. Imo there's a subset just reveling in the weirdness of it all like the goth movement but with the added benefit of being in a protected group which linguistically and to some extent professionally can exert control over other people. I don't think my stance is transphobic at all, I just have a low opinion of people in general and respect should be earned, anything else is respect through fear.

I see these videos on youtube now of people behaving like teachers almost in a smug tone explaining whatever new dozen pronouns we have to learn that popped up in previous days. They believe they're smart people and roll their eyes a lot but IMO they're the dumbest of the dumb just masquerading intelligence whilst talking about made up nonsense terms. The scary thing is millions watch and like those videos, it's like a cult in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

Definitely post of the thread so far - and you're spot on.

Many people ignore the power play of many within the trans-movement. Jordan B. Peterson explains this at length, by the way. He makes precisely the same kind of argument that you've made.

• Advertisement

There is something far deeper at play.

Of course there is. There always is. However, when the term "transphobe"can be applied to anyone who disagrees or criticises the trans movement, that can cover a lot of ground. The problem with transgender as a term is that it includes everything from the use of pronouns, being gender fluid, right through to actual physical transitioning, and cross-dressing. It's a term that has a massive range of beliefs and behaviors assigned to it, with the term transphobe being assigned to anyone who is even remotely critical of one part, even if they're not critical of others. And I am critical of the overall trans movement.

And by now, I don't mind being called a transphobe (I used to dislike it, but now it has little impact). I believe it to be a badly thought out series of beliefs with little consideration for how it affects people in the long term, and how it impacts on other people. I genuinely don't like the aggressiveness of the advocates (not necessarily transgender themselves), and that plays heavily on my overall position. I find the pronouns argument to be a way of downplaying the rest of the movement... but it still comes down to transpeople expecting others to conform to their expectations, whereas continuing under others expectations (with regards to pronouns) is cruel and unreasonable.

There is always something far deeper at play... but that works both ways. For all of us "transphobes", but also, all the advocates of the trans movement.

There are as many videos of people thinking they are smart explaining why using pronouns is an existential threat to society. If you are to go by boards, many many many threads on the dangers of it - the dumbest of the dumb just masquerading intelligence while talking about made up nonsense terms. The scary thing is that millions watch and like those videos. Its a cult in my eyes.

At least you recognise the nonsense of the pronouns. I would never consider myself a trans-activist, not even close. But the pseudo-intellectual bullshit being used to deny people their rights is too stinky.

I'm sure actual trans-activists would educate me on plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

And you know the internet is radicalising kids, giving them a framework which seems to explain their situation but in most cases don't.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The ones denying that there's 40 different genders, not believing in made up words which have no scientific evidence backing them up are the cult like ones?

The point you're trying to make sounds very silly to me.

• Advertisement

Have you seen boards After Hours/Current Affairs recently? Page after page of how granting rights to people (immigrants, trans issues, feminism, climate change activists) the is bringing the world to collapse. Page after page after page of the same motif.

What rights? What about other peoples rights? I've heard so much about rights, and yet, it usually means someone's rights being trampled to elevate another persons rights.

I've encountered trans people who refused to call others by their preferred traditional pronouns, instead being assigned a designation from the trans ideology... because many trans people/advocates have assumed some strange kind of holier than thou attitude to pronouns or terms of description. Honestly, I find it all rather hypocritical and superficial.. "we won't be labelled, but we'll create a wide range of labels that must be used instead, and if you don't then, you're not respecting me".

As I said earlier, society used to operate under the majority rule. What the majority wanted, society did. Now that's been turned on its head, and what a minority wants, society does. Makes little sense to me, but I'd guess society is under some kind of misplaced guilt trip for the last few decades with one movement or another.

I wouldn't use words like "deformity" to refer to trans people, myself, but you carry on if you wish.

I'm not honestly that bothered if you think I'm transphobic, nor if anybody on the internet thinks I'm "using the language of transphobes" or whatever to make points around this issue. The safety of children is, quite frankly, far more important.

Trans women in sport is a danger to women's sport, and it is unfair to women to have to compete professionally with males in sports where being physically male brings a strong advantage. That's not for this thread though, and there is another thread running on the issue.

As for the "changes to society" to accommodate trans people, well, it depends what the accommodations are. I will never support males being in places where vulnerable women are, such as women's refuges and prisons, because it is just too easy for predatory men to gain access to those places under the guise of being trans and abuse and rape women. I understand that this makes trans women feel bad. I do. But I cannot and will not say that the feelings of trans women about the societal affirmation of their inner gender identity are more important than the potential (and actual) rape and abuse of vulnerable women. And yes, if a "trans woman"s favourite hobby happens to be getting their dick out in women's and girls' changing spaces, I am going to view that with a lot of suspicion.

As for pronouns, I will generally use whatever pronouns someone asks me to, within reason. I will not be "ze/zir"ing anyone. But the only time I've ever been corrected on pronoun use is by a (non-trans, male, straight) woke warrior objecting to me referring to a (newly out) male celebrity a few thousand miles away as "he". Nothing about me referring to him in that way harms anyone, this guy just wanted to throw his woke cred about and expected me to be terribly sorry about it instead of laughing in his face. I will not play those games and I am not sorry.

You've already been told what the "deeper" thing at play is. People cannot change sex and there are safety and safeguarding issues, as far too many women and girls can tell you, around men being allowed into women's spaces, and around children being set on a path of irreversible and potentially damaging alterations. Many, many trans people understand this. It's TRA extremists who have trouble with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I honestly didn’t know how to approach Cymro’s previous two posts because I found a lot of points contradictory, eg: Unicorns are aesthetically pleasing and she wouldn’t make any assumptions about gender (I don’t know has she ever come across bronies, but if my son were ever to give any indication of an interest in unicorns, I’d be steering him away from the idea pronto 😂), but then girls developing an interest in makeup isn’t something which shouldn’t be celebrated, but boys taking an interest in makeup is no doubt worthy of celebration because they’re not conforming to gender stereotypes and boys who want to be called girls names and wear girls clothes ARE conforming to gender stereotypes…

Honestly I couldn’t keep up 😳

But, even though you said intent matters, you still regarded her post as being ‘pretty transphobic’, which is a rather unkind interpretation when it’s clear from the context of the posts there was no intent to convey transphobia, or the idea that they had any prejudice against people who are transgender. Her overall point was (and to be fair always has been), criticism of gender stereotypes in society. I don’t agree with much of it as it appears to be not much more than “society would be much better if everyone agreed with me and those who don’t just aren’t resilient enough!”. It’s self-contradictory, but I don’t think that’s intentional either.

The reason I picked up on your post is because of your suggesting that intent is critical, which is a good thing I share your view that intent is critical because initially upon reading your use of the term “unfortunate deformity” in relation to people who are transgender I thought I must be misreading that 😂

It did raise an eyebrow, but I understood the intent of the point you were making, and surely if your point is that people should be able to meet halfway, doesn’t that require you to lead by example and give other people the benefit of the doubt that they are not intending to cause offence by stating an opinion which differs in some cases vastly from your own?

You make good points too about things which society should concern itself with from your perspective, but that too isn’t much different from anyone else saying that society should concern itself with issues which matter to them from their perspective, in this particular context that of children in schools in Scotland who are identifying themselves as transgender, and guidelines for teachers from the DOE in how to cope with that reality.

(fwiw in any case the guidelines shouldn’t be read as suggesting that teachers are not to tell parents that their children are identifying themselves as transgender, it’s making the point that is not their role as the child’s teacher, recognising that the child has rights which must be respected, and their duty is to respect the rights of the child)

Still doesn't mean we should entertain falsehoods as truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

Let's not forget that many trans- men and women agree with views such as yours.

There's this myth that trans- is somehow a uniform belief system. Often, as in the case you cited, it is woke warriors speaking on behalf of a minority they themselves are not members of.

Similarly, there will be many trans men / trans women out there who disagree with what's happening in our schools, particularly in the context of what is being discussed in this thread. You never get to hear their voices, though.

Instead, it's always self-appointed spokespeople who speak ex cathedra on these matters, as if what they say carries the most weight.

"I honestly didn’t know how to approach Cymro’s previous two posts because I found a lot of points contradictory, eg: Unicorns are aesthetically pleasing and she wouldn’t make any assumptions about gender (I don’t know has she ever come across bronies, but if my son were ever to give any indication of an interest in unicorns, I’d be steering him away from the idea pronto 😂), but then girls developing an interest in makeup isn’t something which shouldn’t be celebrated, but boys taking an interest in makeup is no doubt worthy of celebration because they’re not conforming to gender stereotypes and boys who want to be called girls names and wear girls clothes ARE conforming to gender stereotypes…"

You'll disagree, but it's more the absence of the middle-ground that bothers me, with regard to gender. In popular culture, particularly aimed at young people, we have very few examples of women who don't conform to the Kardashian-esque stereotype and the same goes for GI-Joe men. But very few of the men and women I know show traits from only one side of the "spectrum" of gender behaviours. I think it's perfectly fine for girls to be "girly girls" and boys to be all about the gainz with a side of alligator wrestling or whatever, as long as we're not sending a message that those are the only correct ways to be a girl/boy. It seems to me (albeit on a purely instinctive basis) that culturally prescribing overt and extreme femininity for women and overt and extreme masculinity for men in a culture that's having a collective identity crisis about gender identity is likely to lead to confusion.

Unicorns are awesome.

What’s actually a myth is your idea that we never get to hear the voices of people who are transgender who disagree with current policies and the way they’re going. They’re being paraded, lauded and celebrated by other people whose opinions they share, so to suggest we don’t hear them when they’re in a far better position to make themselves heard, is just nonsense.

You wouldn’t happen by any chance to be referring to Debbie Hayton, whatever their opinions are now, they are not the same as the opinions they held when they were given an opportunity by Buzzfeed to have their opinions heard -

That’s both from their perspective as a teacher, and the perspective of the children in the schools they taught in, at a time when teachers were calling for more help to support children who are transgender in schools, which is why the guidelines from the Scottish DOE came to be published.

Yes. I said deformity. I honestly thought i was mirroring the language you used in your post - you used disorder. I've worked for charities for a long time and deformity would definitely have been seen as a word that was a no-no and doesn't reflect my own thinking. It was being used as a shorthand to work from the same page.

You were not working from the same page.

Gender dysphoria is a disorder. Take it up with DSM5.

• Advertisement

Yes, genuinely thought I was mirroring the language re deformity. But the problem is that there is sadly little point in meeting people half way in these matters. Most are not good faith actors and attempting to come to a genuine agreement, with compromise on both sides, isn't the game for most. I don't know cymro, didn't know if she was male or female until you mentioned it, and as I said there appear to be good faith arguments in what she said - an appreciation of the difficulties that is felt is more than most show. But for me, it ended up in much the same place that admitted transphobes end up.

I dont think I gave any prescription of what society should concern itself with (other than autism or dementia friendly environments). I'd have plenty of thoughts on these things but its not really the thread, and there isn't ever really a thread where its relevant. What is interesting is that if there was such anger against accommodations for blind people - can't believe they are forcing us to walk over bumps on the footpath - as if it was to be an existential threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The trans lobby itself has been sending out contradictory statements about what transgender is. Some posters here have explicitly stated that it's nature gone wrong and one trans poster said in the gender identity thread that she wouldn't wish it on anybody.  

A concurrent explanation is gender is on a spectrum for everyone and those are that gender fluid/ non-binary / trans are those that simply exist on a more rare part of that spectrum. This is hardly nature gone wrong then, it's just a natural characteristic of us humans. 

Your harsh interpretation of @[Deleted User] comments does't make any sense if you go by first explanation, because they only commented on how to deal with it from a health issue perspective. Your comments make sense in terms of the more recent newer explanation...but most people do not accept this new explanation. So clearly you thing everyone who states gender is not on a spectrum is a transphobe.

As far as pronouns are concerned, this is a classic example of Lefty political shenanigans. They know perfectly well that by declaring pronouns on their twitter pages, ostensibly done to show solidarity with trans folk and to agree with the idea of a gender spectrum that this will illicit a backlash and they will use that backlash as an example of widespread transphobia. I can't put into works my boiling contempt for the way those people operate.

@[Deleted User] point about wider society changing to accommodate transgender people is right because it has to the potential to create the most ludicrous situations like this one:

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/news/20210616/remove-sex-from-public-birth-certificates-ama-says

June 16, 2021 -- Sex should be removed as a legal designation on the public part of birth certificates, the American Medical Association (AMA) said Monday.

Requiring it can lead to discrimination and unnecessary burden on individuals whose current gender identity does not align with their designation at birth, namely when they register for school or sports, adopt, get married, or request personal records.

So, do you agree with the above? Because if you don't you are a transphobe by your own definition of transphobe.

I'd also say that that recommendation shows what @klaz was saying earlier is right, which was that what the trans lobby are asking for today is by no means the end of it from them. And also it shows that this general issue does concern kids of 4 years old and even younger than that.

Yes. I think that if you deny a person's belief that there's a mismatch between their gender and their biological sex at birth you are a transphobe.

Why does adding your pronouns to your bio inevitably illicit a backlash?

Ayyye, and Blindboy was just reclaiming the word spastic 😁

In any case, seeing as you brought them up, the people you’re referring to would experience the same resistance if they were attempting to place an equivalent imposition on society. As it happens, they’re not, and that’s why people tend to be far more reasonable in accommodating them.

Anyone who expects their unreasonable demands should be met, is likely to be met with an equal and opposite resistance in equal measure in being told that their demands are simply unreasonable.

And referring to them by their preferred pronoun is unreasonable?

I don't think being trans is a deformity, and i'd hesitate to call it a disorder, even if its a currently medically accepted term. I could see why some would see that as problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@Morgans I'm sure actual trans-activists would educate me on plenty,

Here is one of the issues Tra's a self appointed title used mainly on twitter , people in a lot of cases are not themselves trans or person who self identifies as something else , don't have the first clue what they are actually doing they act like rabid dogs attacking anyone who they doesn't subscribe to their agenda ,and tend to fake offense on others peoples behalf who have not asked these self appointed people to do so,

Or you have people who self identify themselves but go looking for posts or discussions and claim this discussion is offensive ,that discussion is offensive ,I don't want the words, mental health , medical or psychological condition ,groom , women's rights, because they find them offensive to other trans people ,only trans men or gay men should get to discuss the topic in LGBT forums with strict criteria who can post ,

So nobody but 3/4 people can post on the subject , because they want an Echo chamber discussion not a free open discussion where their Ideological views cannot be challenged.

Thats not quite what happens though, is it? Anyone demanding or attempting to compel anyone who doesn’t share their beliefs to act as though they do, IS being unreasonable.

Gender dysphoria is the currently acceptable medical term which Cymro referred to, referring to people who experience gender dysphoria*. Transgender is an umbrella term which describes a social and political phenomenon.

*Transsexual is also an acceptable medical term which describes people who’s gender identity is not congruent with their sex.

Yeah, good luck to them. I've never referred to a trans person by anything really. I'd call them by their name if I had to. I'd only personally know two people who identify as trans (one in pretty regular contact with).Both are sound and have always understand when people aren't precise. it appears that there are some trans people being extreme has given an excuse to damn and deny the experience of all trans people.

So, asking to be referred to by your preferred name is unreasonable? And there is no such issue with women changing their married name. What is the threat to society?

Surely refusing to refer to someone by their preferred name is unreasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Nobody has suggested discussing transitions with children.

Advertisement