Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Some Muslim majority countries, yes.

but not all.

And what do you believe to be the culture that these immigrants have to be a part of exactly?

would they be allowed to speak their own language? Listen to their own music? Eat their own food?

Or what type of Irish culture should they assimilate into?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭newhouse87

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

First and foremost, we must limit all migration - not entirely, but to the minimum possible levels needed for economic purposes.

Unless you control the numbers that come, there's no point discussing the question of the quality of person you want to attract to our countries.

TBH I think assimilation is no longer an option. It was possible when countries were more isolated, and populations didn't move around so much. But with the scope of telecommunications, the internet, the media, etc people are far more connected than before, and it's easier to maintain connections with your native culture while living abroad. I spent over a decade in China, and even with internet restrictions, I could keep in touch with family, and Ireland easily.

The point is that there's no benefit to assimilation anymore. Previously, as a migrant even if you gained citizenship, you were still a foreigner, lacking many of the protections and benefits of being a native person. Assimilation was the way to gain acceptance by your neighbors and your local area, in addition to the legal benefits. Now, there's no need for that because we're multicultural (whether we want it or not). People are expected to be different... and the sense of community that used to be so common, is dead in most towns/cities. It's just not there anymore.. except for tribal groups of migrant cultures.. so again, no reason to assimilate because that would mean losing access to your own cultural connections.

• Advertisement

I take your point, and it's a fair critique.

I think a reasonable counterargument is that you can at least strive for some form of assimilation, that there are gradations of what can and cannot be achieved. So, whilst we cannot expect to achieve the purest form of assimilation, we should at least approximate in that direction. Limiting numbers that come, especially from cultures whose values are antithetical to ours, is one step in that direction. Better to aim for assimilation and fail than to encourage integration en masse, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Would you say the majority of Muslim countries or the minority of Muslim countries treat women equally?

Of course not. To the multi-cultists that question doesn’t even exist.

More accurate to say not all, but the vast majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No, first and foremost you should be able to define what constitutes an Irish national identity. THEN you can, as Marine Le Pen suggests, decide who gets to be Irish.

You raised the point, but now it appears you wish to address something else entirely about the type of person you wish to attract to Ireland to be assimilated into Irish society in order to be considered Irish.

• Advertisement

Assimilate into what though? Western culture is under attack from within. Our values, and beliefs are no longer fashionable, and common sense is essentially dead. We're all on the guilt trip train... and very few of our cultural values remain untarnished.

You see, the question about Irish culture tends to bother me, because I don't know what is Irish culture anymore. TBH, I don't know what is any individual western nations culture is anymore. From living outside Europe, I learned the difference was more to do with values. A perception about honesty and a dislike of corruption. That's common in northern European countries, but the opposite in Mediterranean countries. The importance of individual rights and expression. Sure, that's a part of western culture, and so on.

That's what I tend to think of when it comes to assimilation. What is different from other cultural groups? The values we place importance on, not just publicly (which is often bs) but what we hold to be important on a local level. However, I see our values declining in importance over time, and there being very little actual difference with other continental groups. But maybe, that's just me.

In any case, my original question remains... assimilate into what?

Culture is tied up with other factors, though - such as a shared history, common identity, familiarity with established norms and values, use of language (including colloquial language), and a sense of belonging (a national 'home') to that nation.

Of course, the above can and does evolve, and that's not a bad thing. But it's incremental.

Foisting multiculturalism on the above does nothing but harm, in my view.

If the above is to be valued, as I believe it is, then efforts should be made to preserve that (insofar as it is possible). I wouldn't go down the nihilistic route and argue that it's all pointless and doomed to fail in the end.

Only yesterday I mentioned the need to control borders to ensure that terrorists / or those likely to become sympathetic to it, are not permitted into our countries.

Having seen what happened in New Zealand, that point has been reinforced.

Multiculturalism can lead to ghetto-isation. We see much of this kind of ghetto-isation in France and, surprise surprise, they have had one of the worst rates of Islamic terrorism in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

I don't think it's that bad though. There may be some vocal minorities doing just that i.e. what we can see in the Woke thread, but I doubt that most people think the same way.

Perhaps, although I'd say the evolution and growth in influence of the social sciences has shown that we no longer have any real connection with the attributes you listed above. They're all under attack, whether that's under the guise of race theory, gender theory, feminism, etc.. and those attacks are expanding in scope. Sure, we could say that's just the US, but it's not anymore.

TBH I barely recognise Irish culture now after living over a decade abroad. I don't see the values that we used to hold so dear as being important anymore. They've given way to various groups "rights", or the destruction of various institutions that previously served to provide boundaries on behavior, and the enforcement of codes of morality. It's all connected.

And I'm not saying it's all doomed to fail in the end. Cultures go through cycles, and reversals of change. In many ways, western culture has become less individualistic and more collectivist over the last two decades. In pushing for individual rights, the rights and beliefs of others are being trampled, and that encourages a range of bitterness/anger which can only manifest in a pushback. TBH I suspect within the next 2-3 decades, we'll be seeing a return to a much more traditional and controlled society/culture, more in line with pre-WW2 cultures... simply because there's been too much change without real consideration for what comes after.

However, it comes back to what people are supposed to assimilate into, and what motivation exists to do so? (when they can get all benefits and privilege without needing to assimilate) (and there being no agreed framework for the culture they're supposed to adopt)

BTW, I'm not against assimilation. I believe it's the only real answer to immigration in large numbers... but realistically, I wonder if it's even possible anymore.

We live in an age when minority groups have more influence than the majority.. if they gain the support of the media and political groups.

Good job we control our immigration here in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

And as members of the European Union, an open door to southern and eastern Europe.

• Advertisement

And with an open border with UK, we have anyone and everyone who wants to enter freely, no matter where they originated.

Do posters think we should close the border with the UK?

It should be monitored and regulated the same as any other border. Covid has reinforced the need for this considering the lack of measures in place to prevent the spread of the virus during periods when Ireland was locked down, but the North wasn't, and had elevated numbers of people with the virus. Similar problems with Irish people going to the UK, or British people coming here for sports events or entertainment. The same counts for immigration.

TBH I've never agreed with there being a soft border with the North, and we should be examining every person who seeks to enter the Republic (while also keeping note of those who leave).

I would tend to agree, however the issues it would cause for the peace process would be enormous!

I think one way of solving this issue and the issue of any EU immigrants into Ireland, is to require all persons living in the country to register as residents.

This is a massive omission by the Irish government

A border would be very hard to police. I believe there are 130+ roads that cross from ROI to NI. But if stopped by police and it’s found that someone entered illegally from U.K., they should be arrested and returned ASAP. No appeal, no bleeding hearts, no nothing. Arrested and released into the custody of the PSNI to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I'd ask you what is your measure of being Irish, and by extension how you determine someone is "100% Irish" but I'm fairly certain it would be a useless exercise. You have no objective measure, right? If my views and analysis were just "fearmongering" you'd be able to present an objective argument against them. But you cant. The grim reality for people who have a concern for the Irish people is that you actually don't have to present an argument. The policies you support are being imposed top-down regardless of the negative impact on the Irish people. So, I can show why your views are incorrect and harmful. But they still get implemented anyway.

The 1 in 5 foreign born is actually conservative. It doesn't consider the children born to migrant parents in Ireland. So the ethnic Irish could reasonably be expected to be less than 3 in 4 of the population within their own homeland.

Post edited by Sand on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Sand

You're right that the question of Irish culture - or indeed Irish "values" - is vague and hard to define. Ultimately, there is no set of values that 100% of Irish people subscribe to and are unique and different from British. French, German, Italian or Spanish "values". What I find is that when people try to define <insertnationhere> values, it's basically neoliberalism clothed as nationalism. A trojan horse, trying to convince the vast majority of any given nation that their interests are inherently the same as the wealthy and powerful who rule over them. That to question the interests of the elites is a form of treachery.

Irish culture and Irish values are organic, constantly changing and the individuals who form the ethnic Irish learn, challenge and adapt to changing circumstances. A thousand years ago, the ethnic Irish spoke Gaelic. Now the ethnic Irish speak English. 100 years ago, Ireland was renowned for the grip the Catholic Church held over society. Now it is utterly powerless, routinely demeaned and held in contempt as a public virtue. The language and religiosity changed, but not the people. The Irish people today are still overwhelmingly descended from the inhabitants of Ireland 1,000 years ago, let alone 100 years ago.

If you ask what are migrants supposed to assimilate into, its is the Irish people - not something so variable as the culture or values they hold. If you then consider if its non-viable for that to occur, well that is a real concern to hold.

You're right that the question of Irish culture - or indeed Irish "values" - is vague and hard to define. Ultimately, there is no set of values that 100% of Irish people subscribe to and are unique and different from British. French, German, Italian or Spanish "values".

It's interesting to me because, in terms of values, there are distinct differences between the Northern European nations and the Southern European nations. All under the umbrella of western culture but there's still very strong differences that can be recognised once you shrug off the superficial cover of marketing/propaganda. The corruption index is a pretty good example of this when you compare countries, but also consider how that is shown in the way people live their lives on a local setting. With Spain, I was shocked at the amount of corruption and lying that was a daily part of peoples lives, with anything from the casual expectation that people were cheating on their partners, to the about of Bad debts (credit control/debt reconciliation) that goes on at every level of business. It's worse in Italy.

And while it happens in Ireland, its only in recent years that it's become more common, but still hasn't reached the acceptance that goes on elsewhere. I'd say, from living abroad, and looking back at Irish people, that our culture is was one of naivety, and that most Irish are were pretty damn direct in their behavior. There's very little of the scams that you see elsewhere, and while people do lie to each other, it's almost as if most them were white lies, with few really bad consequences. The same with the type of crime, and violence that happened here until the 90s, where truly brutal violence was rare (compared to what happened in France or Greece), and our crime was very tame in comparison. I can remember when murder was extremely rare, and managed to shock the nation. Compare that with other nations in Europe..

That's all changing now, of course. I don't know if it's the internet, globalization, new generations, or multiculturalism (where Irish people are adapting to their neighbors), but the change is happening regardless. Irish people are losing their innocence, and I guess, if I was to talk about Irish culture, I'd say that that innocence would have been a core part of it. The rest of Europe always seemed more sophisticated, and rougher. The silk glove over the mailed fist. So, if we're looking at a distinct Irish culture that foreigners could have adopted to become Irish, they could have embraced that innocence, and the honesty that most Irish had. (oh, before anyone goes nuts about the honesty reference, think back to any experiences in southern Europe.. and if you have none, then you really need to get out more).

Being 100% Irish means being born to two Irish parents. Not that being born to one means someone is less irish, if that what they consider themselves.

Irish culture is whatever people believe it to be. We can claim Irish music, dance, food etc but as you point out, these things change over time. Some Irish people have no interest in traditional 'Irish culture' that doesn't make them any less Irish then someone who plays the bodhran while dancing the siege of Ennis.

There are non Irish people living in Ireland that embrace our traditionally irish culture, are they more Irish then those who dont?

I still don't understand what the issue is if 3 out of 4 people living here are ethnically Irish? What difference does it make? Sounds like something that is said to scare people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

@Sand, @[Deleted User]

It sounds like what you’re describing is not a unique Irish phenomenon, but there is a unique name for that kind of person and that kind of behaviour in Irish society -

Advertisement