Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year olds able to change gender in Scotland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭archfi

Your thought process on this very easily and established definable word ending in phobia does not surprise one tiny bit.

There is virtually zero fear or hatred expressed on this thread. There is debate on what is the best way to deal with young children who, whether temporarily or permanently, don't fall into gender stereotypical behaviour.

If you want an infinite number of ridiculous definitions without even skimming the academic or NGO sphere, look at the various UK political party websites.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There are all manner of rights which conflict with others - the rights of people who are religious for example, and the rights of people who are not. Nobody is suggesting that anyone’s rights are being compromised, everyone is entitled to equal rights and protection from unlawful discrimination.

We’ve been introducing four year olds to religion for generations now and it’s not as though they are expected to have the same understanding of religion as adults. Ideas in relation to gender are delivered in the same way, recognising that children do not have the same cognitive capacity as adults (I often find myself questioning the validity of that assumption tbh as though the reverse might well be more accurate 😏).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Morgans

Doesnt sound like there is much debate. It is not compelling people who are not religious to believe in religion. A better analogy is if someone lives their life as a muslim, you do not get to overrule them and choose otherwise.

I think those people who are determined to state that the only two genders are those which match their biological sex are transphobes. There are several in this thread.

On rights, was it that if trans people gain rights, someone has to lose rights. I reject that premise as nonsense. But if you can copy it again, I'd be happy to talk through.

Where is fear and hatred in my definition?

Unless it seems you are suggesting that using my definition there are so many that could be called transphobes.

Interestingly, a couple of posts before felt that no one on this thread was a transphobe using that definition

• Advertisement

That’s not the analogy I was making. But if that’s what you’re giving me to work with - it would be unreasonable for an adherent of Islam to expect that they should be able to compel anyone else to behave as though they too are an adherent of Islam. It would be equally unreasonable to expect that an adherent of Islam could be compelled to behave as though they are not an adherent of Islam.

In either case it could constitute harassment were anyone to continue to try and coerce or humiliate another person who does not share their world views or beliefs. These protections exist in a democratic society for good reason, with the aim of treating all people as equals before the law, or as you suggest - people maintaining the right to advocate for whatever is in their own interests, while harassment of anyone is still unlawful.

I don’t know am I sufficiently making the point that you cannot force people to behave as though they share your beliefs, but at no point whatsoever does anyone have the right to harass another person. These are laws which apply to all people in society equally, regardless of what their beliefs are or who they choose to advocate for.

No one is forcing anyone to become a muslim. They are requesting that being muslim is recognised as a way to live.

Denying that being muslim exists, or is labelled as a personality defect, is understandably hurtful. If the requests to be recognised are ignored, it needs activists.

e.g. Muhammad Ali faced a lot of deniers back in the day. He didnt want people to convert to the Nation of Islam or believe its tenets but he was understandably aggrieved when people continued to call him Cassius Clay.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Standard "mermaids fare "

Lump in 700 LGBT teens ask questions around transphobia experiences and link that to mental health and then lead the discussion to 700 trans teens in school that we are aware of ,

But in truth they interviewed 700 teens who are likely predominantly gay and lesbian with a tiny minority of that figure identify as trans or other covered by the umbrella , which then allows the authors to say that there is thousands of trans children in schools when in fact it could less than 60 children out of 760,000 school aged children in Scotland ,

I think those people who are determined to state that the only two genders are those which match their biological sex are transphobes. There are several in this thread.

Then you've just labelled most of those who are critical of the trans movement, since we tend to value biology/science over feelings. In any case, I stated that there would be four main genders.. Male/Female Trans-male/Trans-female. But then, I still don't see Trans people as Male/Female (past their biological sex, so I guess by your standards I'm still transphobic)

Your belief of what constitutes transphobia is not what I would consider any kind of phobia. As I said, a very black/white perspective of the situation. With us or against us. Support us or you are a transphobe.

On rights, was it that if trans people gain rights, someone has to lose rights. I reject that premise as nonsense. But if you can copy it again, I'd be happy to talk through.

You reject it without any clarification or reasoning... which you're not extending the same entitlement to other people. So. Double standards. Basically, trans people and those who support that agenda have rights and others don't. Oh, they're allowed rights as long as they don't interfere with yours. I'm not exaggerating... your posts over the last page have reinforced this impression.

I shouldn't need to copy anything since any of my objections are within the last two pages. That doesn't take long to skim, especially since I posted it more than once.

You're either deliberately changing the argument, or you’re not fully grasping it, and I’m leaning more towards the idea that you’re not fully grasping the idea that being expected to behave as though one subscribes to an ideology they do not, is unreasonable.

I’m not questioning the idea that the ideology exists, I’m not questioning that adherents of that ideology exist, or that people who share in and believe in the fundamental tenets of the ideology exist. I’m not questioning that they have that legitimate right as recognised in law.

The point I’m making, is that people who do NOT subscribe to a particular ideology, cannot be compelled to behave as though they do, regardless of how hurtful or unreasonable it is to anyone else, regardless of how much of an activist they are. It’s why I don’t take any notice of activists or give them the recognition they crave - I choose to ignore them because I do not subscribe to their ideology.

I’d take your point if anyone were harassing someone who did not subscribe to their world view and they were trying to compel anyone to do so. That’s certainly the argument that Muslims who withdrew their children from schools in the UK chose to run with, and I expect similar scenes outside schools in Scotland where these guidelines are implemented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Prove me wrong. Show me where in the guidance it recommends that teachers discuss social transitioning with children.

Hint: it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You obviously don't understand the meaning of social transitioning at all .no point you saying where in the guidance it says it .

It's social transitioning .

Nothing more to add on it

Speak more fluently rather than accusing me of deliberately changing the argument. Having to repeat this a third time makes me think you dont understand what you are saying.

You do not need to be a believer in trans rights (such as gender is a spectrum) to accept a trans persons belief about themselves. In fact, by denying to recognise a trans person's identity you (the transphobe, for short-hand) are imposing your belief upon someone. Yet, somehow the transphobe is the victim here.

You do not need accept the tenets of the nation of islam to show the respect for Muhammad Ali to call him by his name that makes up his identity. You do not need to accept all what trans activists adhere to to show respect and call the trans person by their name or refer to them as a she/her/they.

In fact, refusing to do just makes you the asshole. An asshole with a transphobic standpoint who doesnt own it but twists themselves into all sorts of loops to justify it.

Maybe you just dont get it.

Granting basic human rights to individuals does not take away basic human rights from others. I do not believe that certain groups racists, homophobes, transphobes have basic human rights to discriminate or cause harm to others. Dressing up racism, homophobia, transphobia and any other form of discrimination as human rights is disingenuous. Believing transphobes are the actual victims in society is part of that ridiculous narrative.

That again is obfuscation.

Nobody is taking away an individuals right.

To state loudly and with confidence that a boy is a boy and a girl is a girl, and no amount of wanting, surgery or medication will change that is not transphobic.

Do you hold the opinion that people can self determine their age? Their race? Their height? Their weight? If not, why not?

Identify as as many genders as you want. Regardless of what "gender" you are, you will either be male or female and that isn't a choice.

They don't recommend that teachers discuss social transitioning. They recommend that teachers aid the children in the process of socially transitioning, by using their preferred name and pronouns, etc. That is social transition. And on top of that:

"The guidance also includes a recommended reading list for primary schools, designed to promote trans inclusivity, and calls for posters which "challenge gender stereotypes" to be put up in classrooms.

One book included tells a story about a blue crayon which suffers an identity crisis because it was mistakenly labelled as red.

Another features a primary school-age narrator who says she has “a girl brain but a boy body” and claimed she knew that she was transgender as a toddler.

The character claims “pretending I was a boy felt like telling a lie” until an “amazing day” when she went to a doctor who diagnosed her as transgender."

Quite why the guidance would seek to "challenge gender stereotypes" when the entire premise of trans ideology is build upon them I don't know, but it's no surprise any more when these logically inconsistent, quasi-religious ideologies make no sense.

The recommendations tell the teachers to "be affirming", and not to tell the parents if the child doesn't ask them to. So you'll have gender-confused children being "affirmed" by teachers who are told not to question them about their confusion, and not having the support at home (because their parents are in the dark) that they may need to figure out their confusion, which was probably caused in the first place by reading about such absolute codswallop as "girl brains".

If this were anything other than the topic that is currently subject to a mass hysteria, everyone would recognise it easily for the indoctrination that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

Religion is another example of how bad ideas can be sewn into the minds of children re: homosexuals, treatment of women etc.

You couldn't have provided a better example of how childhood indoctrination can have devastating consequences.

The sad thing is that you don't even see what you're doing. You've decided a definition of what a transphobe is, that is pretty vague and yet, can cover just about any criticism directed towards the Trans topic. You then went on to mention the other phobes, and ists, which I suspect will have the same vague definitions, but in the context that their rights aren't important. So... you're labeling others and taking away their rights, so that you can elevate your own interests above them.

You contradict yourself. "Granting basic human rights to individuals does not take away basic human rights from others". And yet, that's what you've just advocated above.

BTW.. being able to become transgender and be accepted as such, is not a basic human right. No more than becoming a smoker and being accepted as such, is not a basic human right. Transgender people will be protected in society due to their choices, but that's not the same thing as having certain rights... especially rights that are more important than the will of the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭archfi

Exactly, where is it in 'your' definition?

When you make up your own, you (in your head) can accuse anyone and everyone of it which is handy when you flounder.

Luckily, most people can see through that. I'd suggest abandoning that tack, it's so 2015-2020.

You're accusing another poster of being unclear when you yourself are either genuinely or deliberately missing the point of several arguments on this one thread.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

You contradict yourself. "Granting basic human rights to individuals does not take away basic human rights from others". And yet, that's what you've just advocated above.

Where?

The whole point of rights to protection against the will of the majority.

Re the definition of a transphobe - you said yesterday that No one on this thread would fit as a transphobe by my definition. And then accuse me of contradicting myself.

• Advertisement

I've presented my definition repeatedly four times. What's your problem with it? If you don't like it for being too broad, fine. Your opinion. It includes those who do have a fear and hatred but also includes those who more tacitly support the transphobe arguments - transphobe adjacent.

But you can't say that its unclear.

It does seem that people come with lots of bluster with their 2015 arguments, but when questioned, just go back to gaslighting, and wait a few days before coming back with the 2015 bluster again.

Is the statement, "Trans women are not women", transphobic to you or not?

Is it transphobic for a straight man to not want to sleep with a trans woman (with or without surgery)?

For all your certainty (and I think you are wrong) i think you are one of the better posters on the thread. You at least own your opinion.

Regardless of what 'gender' you are, you will have been born with a male body or a female body. That isn't a choice.

That's not in dispute. Anyone claiming otherwise is misguided. The issue is when the gender that a person believes themselves to be, or identifies with, does not match their biology. You don't believe this should be recognised, and they must adhere to the identify of what they were born with. I dont.

I think that's a pretty fair representation of my position.

I don't see how we can recognise gender when gender itself is unable to be defined. As far as I can see, there are seemingly an infinite amount of genders. To recognise all of them and to allow children to define their own genders is a nonsense.

I have no issue with anyone defining themselves as they wish, but sex and gender (in this conversation anyway) are intrinsically linked and children should not be told that it is possible to change from a male to a female/boy to a girl etc, simply by "feeling that way".

1) This is shorthand and is one of the tropes deliberately trying to be provocative. Trans women cannot deny the historical fact of the biology that they were born with. Many are happy classifying a woman or a man as being synonymous with the biology they were born with. A black and white issue. One or the other. Its the historical standard. Trans people are compensating for the fact that their identity does not match their biology. Part of that is how they are referred to, part may be undergoing chemical or physical changes to help their gender and physical appearance better align. If you decide that you can only refer to them using their sex that they were born with, you are being deliberately insulting, and all the while dressing it up as a burden that you have to carry. So yes, if you want to go out of your way to highlight the fact that Trans women are not biologically born women for whatever purpose, yes it is transphobic.

2) No. Its not homophobic not to want to sleep with a man as a man.

I dont think sex and gender are as linked as you do. So be it. I am willing to respect that trans people do. And they are free to take actions to make their life easier. Others want to prevent them from doing that. I think that is denying them a basic human right.

I get it alright, you’re advocating that anyone should have the right to behave like an immature child when they’re not getting everything their own way. “Be kind and understanding” but only with people who share your beliefs - everyone else is a transphobic asshole. You’re in no position to school anyone about the meaning of respect when your definition is predicated upon people seeking your approval.

For example, the belief that gender is a spectrum has nothing to do with the rights of people who are transgender, it’s a belief which is part of your own ideology. I cannot be compelled to respect that belief, I cannot be compelled to behave as though I too SHARE that belief or support it in any way.

The point you keep missing is that fundamental and all important right which everyone has already -

I explained to you already that I choose to ignore activists, and your attempts to coerce anyone who doesn’t support your ideology or share your beliefs is exactly why - you say everyone should meet halfway, and the halfway point as far as I’m concerned is your right to hold your beliefs, and my right to hold mine, and we both accept that everyone has the right to hold beliefs which we do not share, support or subscribe to.

Going beyond that halfway point is your attempt to undermine my beliefs which are part of my identity, which in my view is an unreasonable imposition on anyone. What you’re doing is rather like calling someone frigid because they don’t want to have sex with you. It might be effective if I were insecure enough about myself that I felt I needed your approval, but seeing as I’m not and I don’t need your approval, then when I make it clear that I do not support your ideology, the obligation to respect my decision is on you, not me.

I’m perfectly prepared to own the consequences of decisions which are my responsibility, however it appears you’re unwilling to do the same, and instead you’re trying to shift responsibility onto me for the fact that you’re put out by my unwillingness to support your ideology.

Re the definition of a transphobe - you said yesterday that No one on this thread would fit as a transphobe by my definition. And then accuse me of contradicting myself.

Except that you changed the scope of what a transphobe entailed.. That tends to alter where and how it would be applied.

You're repeatedly shifting goalposts and deflecting.

TBH, I see little point continuing this since I've repeated my points multiple times, and you've shifted away from them each time, either ignoring them completely or misrepresenting them in your responses.

• Advertisement

I absolutely do not want to make anyones life harder. But I am steadfast in my opinion that as gender is so indefinable and open to so much interpretation, I can't give it much credence, especially when a trans person would claim to identify as the opposite sex and demand to be treated as such.

Identify as what you want but I will not kowtow to a demand which I do not believe to be right.

Thankfully, in my personal experiences with people who identified as trans, I have only met a hand-full of people like that.

But it is such a confusing topic for many adults, many of which can't separate their "gender" with their biology, which is why I think that it should be kept out of schools and biology, which is teaching children about their bodies, should be adhered to.

Not telling a child that they can be a boy or a girl if they feel like it.

Advertisement