Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Exactly. This is the most worrying aspect for me, these idiots Coveney and Varadkar bending over backwards for some yank that has all the actual political nous and importance that's akin to a character from Fawlty Towers. Who or what are these lads bending backwards over elsewhere for christs sake?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Blanch stick with me here, Katherine Zappone contacted Leo about government business.

Wouldn't that mean their exchange was literally subject to freedom of information.

I wouldn't fancy Katherine's chances at pursuing a GDPR claim, and that's putting it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,178 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

My opinion is, and it's only an opinion, is that she was owed for something. The way they tried to do it on the last sitting day etc they knew it was dodgy. Only thing that explains it all for me. No matter what happens, Coveney is seriously damaged goods now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

I posted this earlier.

Varadkar lying:

On Thursday Mr Varadkar said the first he had heard of the Zappone appointment was in a text from Mr Coveney on July 19.

The messages begin on Friday July 16 when, Ms Zappone texted Mr Varadkar:

“Hi Leo, from the Piglet [a Dublin bar]! I was expecting to hear from Simon C about my appointment as Special Envoy for Human Rights and LGBTQ+ issues. Have you heard anything? If you around next Wednesday hope to meet you.”

Varadkar's defence was he didn't know about the makey-up job beforehand. Coveney supported this. Then Varadkar released the texts hanging himself and Coveney. Coveney says he didn't have the info to hand so was guessing...when he 'misinformed' the committee. What will Varadkar's story be?

If you want to get pedantic, here's 'the paper of record'.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Did you even read the links before posting?

Zappone asks Varadkar does he know anything about a post for her on July 16. He answers NO. Then a few days later, he texts Coveney about it and gets a reply on July 19 telling him about it, exactly what he said.

Of course, you could be the type of person that believes everything that they are told without checking it. In reality, Zappone mentioned something to Leo that he didn't know anything about, and he checked, and found on July 19 what exactly she was talking about, fitting in fully with what he already said!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

You haven't answered my last question to you yet.

Eh, if I apply for a passport, my passport application is subject to FOI, but the Department of Foreign Affairs won't release it to you because it contains personal information relating to me.

IF you are correct, and Leo and Zappone's text exchanges formed a record within the meaning of the FOI Act (and I don't necessarily agree that they do), then, at best, they would be heavily redacted, to exclude the personal information of Zappone and Matt Barrett, if they were released to you

Did you notice the bit about " My appointment" as if this was already a done deal.

You wouldnt refer to a new position as your appointment if you hadnt already been told you got the job.

How much exactly was she being paid for this role and how much were the expenses to be.

Why should she be entitled to this role over any other person, are the Irish taxpayers already paying her pension and how much would that be.

Has she already moved ppermanently to the States and if she has why would we want to appoint her to the UN, would she be an Irish representative at the UN if she got the gig,I thought "canvassers will be disqualified" is the rule when it comes to public service appointments, this whole saga stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

She lives in Seattle so the gig would have given her free travel, at our expense, to the UN and then to Dublin, all first class, with chauffeur collection etc.

The 15 k wages was the small bit

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Why wasn't the role open to others? How was she determined to be the most qualified for the role? And why didn't they tell the Taoiseach about the crony appointment.

It absolutely stinks and FG's 'New Politics' absolutely stinks now.

2011 Fine Gael document - Microsoft Word - New Politics.doc (thejournal.ie)

End “Crony Government” in Ireland by opening up government and giving the Dáil, for the first time in its history, real power to hold ministers and public bodies to account; and

Utter nonsense FG. Shame on you for damaging our democracy.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

You're actually going to compare a private citizens passport application, with a former minister enquiring with the current Tánaiste, about a government role she is expecting to get?

What personal information was divulged about Zappone that should have been redacted.

And lastly, if either Zappone or Matt Barrett did not give Leo permission to release these texts that their names appear in, to you think Leo should resign?

“Hi Leo, from the Piglet [a Dublin bar]! I was expecting to hear from Simon C about my appointment as Special Envoy for Human Rights and LGBTQ+ issues. Have you heard anything? If you around next Wednesday hope to meet you.”

The My Appointment bit indicates that she thought she had the job in the bag.

I am dumbfounded that she thought it would be ok to organise a gathering of fifty people in the Merrion Hotel, it shows how out of touch she is regarding the curtain twitching that has been going on in Ireland since March 2020. The rest of us were still bringing people into our gardens by the side entrance to the house and telling our children that they couldnt bring friends to the garden for drinks for fear the neighbours would disapprove.

Its even more incredible that the Deputy Leader of this curtain twitching horrible place to live actually asked was the gathering "legal", this shws how out of touch he was with the public too.

And all the while NEPHET were going on about keeping contacts low, Philip Nolan is still going on about that this week, telling parents not to let their children mix after school and yet weeks ago the elite mingled together in the garden of the Merrion, how big is this garden by the way and how long did the gathering go on for.

Are you seriously going to suggest that there are differences between private citizens based on their past?

Seems to be,one private citizen can throw leo a text there and organise a job for emselves....while this isnt an option for private citizens outside of the so called golden circle

Same as 50 years ago here,nothing ever changes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Who cares about this? There are actually major issues out there in Ireland and the World that need addressing. Opposition trying to stop the Government doing their job at every turn with this utter nonsense. No one give two hoots it.

The Opposition seem to be allowing Leo, FG and others to occupy their every thought. The sheer amount of hashtags and abuse Leo is subject to on Twitter is ridiculous - perhaps some people are using it to channel their racist and homophobic views through other means. There doesn't seem to be the same abuse levelled at Mícheal Martin, Eamon Ryan, or other Fine Gael party members in prominent positions. From talking to people, it's doing a great job turning everyone against the Opposition, well done. Keep it up tomorrow and ruin Leaving Cert results day with another Leo hashtag and people will really turn off in droves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Thinking back on her tenure, nothing sticks out as her acting as a lightning rod for FG. Tuam and the exhumation was probably the largest controversy she was involved in.

It may well just have been reward for propping the government, or perhaps she kept the independents in line at cabinet. It could be perhaps as simple as that she was liked by both factions in FG.

We will likely never know the motivations for her bizarre appointment. Simon Harris has gotten off fairly lightly though hasn't he.

lol

The others aren't under a Garda Criminal Investigation? That the activity that leads you to that juncture is going to attract more comment than somebody whose behaviour hasn't landed them in the middle of a major and lengthy Garda Criminal investigation? And is now embroiled in another controversy?

Just a guess. 🙄

"Who cares about this?"

Well, Charlie Flanagan seems to care about it. Or is that Lord of the Bluebottle dynasty now suddenly up in the 'opposition' too?

Knock yourself out - try a few more hashtags tomorrow too. People will really appreciate it.

• Advertisement

So whadda ya think?

Is that the reason he attracts more comment? Or is it somebody else's fault he is where he is?

Wht has the Leaving Certs results day got to do with anything.

Unless you are a teacher or you have a leaving Cert student in your house then you wont give two hoots about the leaving cert.

Why cant Vradkar and Coveney just tell the truth, who created this role and how come it seems only one person was considered for it.

Why hasnt Zappone made any statement about the job and how come she was referring to it as my appointment if Simon Coveney hadnt actually got back to her about it.

When you are in trouble stop digging.

Surely people are allowed qs government spending and crony appointments along with continued erosion of standreds in public office?

Personally,i feel these are relatively serious issues to sort out 1st....ffg are openly laughing at electorate and treating us with contempt with their carry-on

The storys and excuse provided for a long long list of incidents now,simply arent credible and i for one,dont like being taken for a mug

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it's interesting that KZ chose to contact Varadkar seeking an update on the appointment, rather than texting Coveney directly.

I also note how Coveney waited a few hours to respond to Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The story is getting boring now. Nothing to see here. The opposition need to start focusing on real issues affecting their constituents instead of going on about "I can prove he said she said" ad verbatim.

Boring story, boring opposition. Boring media.

Pity the government never starts focusing on real issues affecting their constituents but instead bends over backwards and makes fools of themselves for a person with nothing to show for themselves but an american accent

You are so bored, you came onto a thread about it?

Ok.

They tried today with the housing plan but stupid carry on over this Zappone thing were what journalists were asking at the press conference.

Honestly, New York is flooded. Afghanistan is descending into Civil War, the Government finally makes a blueprint re housing & all the Opposition care about is Leo, Zappone and a wine bar. It almost seems like they don’t truly care about the housing crisis & are just using it to score political points. Which they’re struggling to score today - queue a few more hate hashtags Leo’s way & more Zappone nonsense.

The precedent being set by Sinn Fein in particular engaging in a hate campaign against an individual is extremely dangerous. It seems to be generating & promoting sheer hatred in people against an individual who has a high public profile.

Sure, it would have to be somebody else's fault, nothing to do with his own activity landing him in the middle of a Garda Criminal Investigation on two counts.

The Housing Plan got major coverage today, maybe it's because people weren't out saying how brilliant the government were is what is causing a bit of angst?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

How do you know (or how did Varadkar know at the time) that the Piglet referred to a location? She said in the text "Hello from the Piglet", that can be interpreted two different ways. Given her previous of dipping the taxpayer for 80,000 in travel expenses that she wasnt entitled to would it be any surpise that she jokingly refers to herself as a piglet with her nose in the trough? Thats Leos defence right there, 'I thought she was calling herself a piglet because she is mad for the expenses'. The RTE reporter interpreted the Piglet as a nickname ascribed to herself.

We really need a statement from Zappone to clarify this Piglet business 😂

Advertisement