Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This x1000

I love it when some journalist asks, "Are you going to resign over this incident because it's overshadowing the work of the government"

Eh, love..... it is YOU who keeps asking about it. No one, not ONE person I know personally has commented on this story. They are all delighted that the worst of covid is behind us though and are focused on being back to school, getting on with their lives as best they can after the past 18 months.

I would not be Michael Martins's biggest fan but he was dead right in taking on some of these journalists head-on and calling them out on it.

It is the Twitterisation of journalism, where the story is only hours or minutes old until something else needs to be feasted on.

Covid x Silly Season = Melodrama

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭alexv

The former Minister for Children exercising her freedom of expression:

Is this literally not the journalists job,to ask questions of em??....you goys have lost the plot,wanting the government to go fighting journalists for doing their job.

What next a boycott?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Apart from the absolute glee in Opposition, well Labour circles, and vain efforts by the media to keep the story above the fold where does this actually go? It's not a resigning matter and Coveney really should have known better and may end up with a severe finger wagging. It's ultimately a three day story that has dragged on for weeks after anybody cared about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Can someone explain this Piglet sh1te to me? Does she fall herself Piglet or is this some pet name she has or some sort of deep undercover secret agent name. It's all strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I just hope it runs and runs because it is doing reputational damage and the longer that goes on the more likely the chaos of the power merger will be remembered in the ballot box. I don't think Coveney will resign, he should, but he won't. Relations will be fruity at the top in FG for the rest of the term I'd imagine.

It'll limp along but voters generally don't reach that level of complex thought when the vote - it's their views on big ticket items, economy, health and housing. As for the reputational stuff, was Coveney ever really a possibility for the top chair? Sure he's well-liked within the party and briefly competed for leadership but he seems to have settled for a secondary role and was previously seen as a safe pair of hands. This will make no difference to his seat and he'll he shuffled around in just over 12 months' time.

The 'damage' adds up.

I said Leo would lead FG back to GE levels of support and I think by the time we get there (to a GE) he will pull it off.

Coveney was elected leader by the membership of FG.

FG, through their own version of democracy, have a system that denies the memberships choice if the party elders/backer don't agree.

BTW, 'limps' is a curious definition, given it has dominated the news cycles several times now and even after that dies down a bit, Coveney has to embarrassingly go back to the FAC to 'explain' some more, PAC have to have a look at the actual appointment process.

Plenty left in this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, it's dragging on cos they're continuing to lie about and then being caught out in their lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No, I'm actually comparing "GDPR" and that of a private citizens passport application, and what appears to be lobbying of the current Tánaiste, for a government appointed role, therefore making it subject to Freedom of information.

Katherine's name was already publicly linked with this role. There's no comparison with a private citizens passport application FFS, you know that, I know that, but you'll double down and obfuscate rather than admit the whole GDPR thing you threw out was a brainfart.

If Katherine makes a statement, stating she did not consent to Leo releasing her texts - do you think Leo should resign or be prosecuted? You've been asked this on numerous occasions now and not yet answered btw.

• Advertisement

It strikes me as another drama that nobody outside of politics and some sectors of the media has any interest in. It's almost as if the media were desperate to find a non-COVD story to run with. The minister made a complete balls of the nomination of a person who was probably perfectly suited to the job are the facts. That she chose to decline that job is the saving grace in it. There's not much more to it than that and TBH a combination of committees and the Dail itself should address this.

This is just the same handwaving and 'nothing burger' stuff pushed out when ever there is a **** up by the government.

We saw it with Golfgate, Maria Bailey, the Leak, etc etc and now we see it being pushed out again. Tired stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This sounds to me like FG supporters just wishing this story would go away and pretending they are above it all. You can bet your last cent that if the shoe was on the other foot they would be crying about from the rooftops.

The funny thing is that FG can make it go away come out and be completely honest and hold up their hands and that kills the story but they can't they think they are above everyone else and can do as they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Did they not mean it?

Microsoft Word - New Politics.doc (thejournal.ie)

The New Politics is designed to tackle head-on the major weaknesses in our archaic system of government, so that the huge policy mistakes of the last few years will not be repeated. It will:

End “Crony Government” in Ireland by opening up government and giving the Dáil, for the first time in its history, real power to hold ministers and public bodies to account; and

The expressions “Golden Circle”, “Crony Government” and “Cosy Capitalism” all describe the same thing: The abduction of our Republic by both public and private sector vested interests, aided and abetted by the present Government. 

Who decides who is the best person for public jobs now?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Don't forget Dara Murphy...FG were fine with him getting his job in Europe after ripping off the taxpayer for years.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Of these three I only immediately recognised the Bailey one. That's about as much an average voter could do, if even that. It's the big stuff they care about - currently that's housing but health will be back. My take on this is that he was completely obtuse about this, but saved by the common sense of the putative nominee. If people want to perpetually rage about this that's just fine. For some there's political capital in this, which is equally fine but it dilutes any sense of principle they might claim. Ultimately it may mean that Simon will get a quieter and smaller office in 2023.

Minister behaves stupidly is not in that document!

Hadn't he already been given the job when this stuff emerged?

??? You don't immediately recognise 'Golfgate or the Leak' controversies?

Ok, whatever you say.

With a bit of thought yes they came back, there's been other stuff going on in the world, but I'd expect very few of your average voters to nod at that list. Those who'd still be annoyed by them probably have plenty of other reasons to have a poor opinion of them anyway.

• Advertisement

So, the Tanaiste/Taoiseach gets embroiled in a lengthy controversy and ends up the centre of a still ongoing Garda Criminal investigation in which he could technically get jailed, and you have to 'give a bit of thought' to remembering that?

I am not sure why you are implicating the general populace in this extraordinarily convenient forgetfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Golfgate was one of the biggest stories in the country at the time.

A load of politicians and a supreme court judge go for a big dinner when there were lots of restrictions on the average voter.

It lead to a minister and EU commissioner losing their jobs and calls for the supreme court judge to be sacked. Some (apparently not so) average voters I know wouldn't have felt sorry for him if he had been.

You've got to worry about the country if the average voter can't remember that story. I thought it was better known and annoyed the average voter more than swinggate a.k.a Maria Bailey.

Maybe they meant the average FG voter.

Yes and they've had outcomes but most people move on once that happens. It might sway some voters in their choices but the big items will move them more and how good TDs are for local politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Economics101

If we didn't have the Covid restrictions, it may well have been the case that Varadkar and Coveney et al might have had their chats over a cups of coffee in a Ministerial office or the Dail bar, instead of conversations by text. In that case there would be nothing to see. I never thought that virtually private conversations would be subject to the full rigours of FOI.

To be fully consistent maybe all ministers should be permanently wired up so that everything hey ever say to anyone would be subject to FOI. (Except at Cabinet meetings of course). This is all getting a bit absurd.

"I never thought that virtually private conversations would be subject to the full rigours of FOI."

That's pretty much your very first, and fatal problem right there then so. Just because you "didn't think" govt business conducted via text was subject to FOI , is meaningless tbh. I wouldn't be sharing that lack of knowledge online either, not on a current affairs forum, if you wanted to be taken seriously.

Brendan Howlin getting in now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Well if they aren't aware of golfgate I can assure you that they're even less aware of what good they did unless it's something done personally for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Well, thats most political dramas tbf but this has breaking covid guidelines, political crap like lobbying, government disregard for FOI, breaking FOI rules, a minister saying his phone was hacked, ministers throwing each other under the bus etc. There's a lot wrapped up in this particular issue outside of Zappone being given the position.

Advertisement