Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

But you seem to be indifferent to the number of people who will die if Covid restrictions are lifted before vaccination is sufficiently far advanced. Do deaths only count if they are useful to your point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So you think they should do less have a few more people dying every day? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

They should never re-open their internal borders between states, so more people would stay healthy and alive

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Ah yes nice, completely worth ruining peoples lives to save a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Nobody was talking to you.

Does the ignore function not work on new boards.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Frank12

When do people think that international borders will reopen realistically ? As i cannot wait to emigrate. Christmas time? early - mid 22?

I agree with your statement.

Though thier success also led to their vaccine problems.

Vaccine hesitancy is bound to be high when there was such low covid cases and normal life.

The cases now might tell people covid is going nowhere and you need a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Realistically, never. I wouldn't take a chance to emigrate to Australia anyway. Only if people fine when they detained.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

“Realistically, never”, you’re some fruit loop (and that’s being polite). Such a shame you won’t be gracing us with your presence 🤣

Mid next year is my hope/expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Are you trying to escape Australia? Surely trying to get into it?

The longest lockdown measures in Europe not enough for you, you need a top up? Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm not convinced a 'zero-covid-to-vaccine-immunity' plan is going to work. Around my part of Texas, we're 87% of 12-and-over with one shot, 70% fully vaccinated, and the infection rates are still far higher than they have been for most of the last year and a half. We'll see what happens when the other 17% get their second shot, but if the plan is to lock down every time there's a case, and bearing in mind that we're still getting cases even with vaccinated people (to include our governor), and I recall nobody ever saying that vaccines are 100% effective, I don't see how it would be possible to maintain a 'zero covid' strategy. Eventually the balance of benefits is going to have to shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Really there are different experiences when you talk of 'Australia', during the pandemic its been more like a nimber of countries. NSW and Victoria have accepted that zero covid is not going to be achievable as cases are climbing still in both. WA, QLD are different in that there are no cases of the virus so maintaining zero covid is their priority, they seem like they'll have shut borders, both internally and internationally, for awhile yet. If you listen to the rhetoric from Mcgowan it seems even with everybody who wants to be vaccinated done he will not be tolerating a case of covid so shut borders for quite a while yet there. In the case of QLD their premier has said that she won't open up until all children are 'protected', whether that means she wants under 12's vaccinated, when its not approved anywhere else in the world, i dont know but if she's talking like that they will have shut borders for a long time too, or until their tourism industry says enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I've never said restrictions in aus "should" be lifted. All I've ever said is my opinion that you guys have painted yourselves into a corner. The vaccine doesn't stop transmission, and it wanes within months, not just for transmission but disease severity too (see israel). People are still going to die from covid, and a lot of them, with practically zero acquired immunity, which is looking superior. You can't lift restrictions without a lot of deaths. Like are you not following the rest of the world? Vaccination isn't the way out.

The only way out of it is through it IMO as I've been saying on this thread for months. I'm sure your healthcare system prepared though, right?

Also, nothing to say about the babies left to die, which is the comment you replied to?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yeah hurr durr, I'm just a big dumb idiot. Ffs.

Good luck to everyone in Australia, hopefully the dystopian police state is just a temporary state of affairs 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A poster expressing dubious opinions you don't agree with is not trolling. Learn to love the ignore function! If you have a great life I'm happy for you but this puerile attempt to rub people's faces in it makes you little better. Enjoy your match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ah yes but that wasn't a covid death, so it won't count for the leaderboards. Nor will the families who haven't been able to see eachother for 18 months due to border restrictions. The Australians who can't even afford to return home due to the cost of hotel quarantine. The families who have missed funerals etc. etc.

The Covid obsessed only see the leaderboards, not the other impacts.

Given that you advocate not bothering to count Covid deaths at all, so that we can pretend they aren’t happening, I’m inclined to doubt the sincerity of your concern for the “babies left to die”. But, since you, and giving you the benefit of the doubt:

1. I don’t pretend that all Covid precautions are perfect and beyond improvement. If the events you describe are actually happening, obviously that’s deplorable and it should be changed. But...

2. I’m sceptical that the events you describe are actually happening.

3. The South Australian travel restrictions do allow for exemptions for cases of medical necessity. I’m open to correction, but the reports I have read about these deaths (a) do not assert than an exemption was sought and refused; and (b) do not quote any medic as saying that, if these babies had been evacuated to Melbourne, they would have survived.

4. The issue that the babies families and their treating doctors have been complaining about is not the travel restrictions; it is the absence of paediatric cardiac facilities in Adelaide. This long predates Covid. The availability of medical evacuation to Melbourne is at best a band-aid, not a solution. 

5. If, as I say, medical evacuation was sought and refused, that’s outrageous. But I’m not going to take your word for it that that happened, and what I have read elswhere doesn’t suggest that it did.

On the wider issue, you seem to think because vaccination isn’t perfect, it’s useless. This is of course nonsense. It may well be the case that vaccine efficacy starts to fade after 6 months, booster shots are required, etc. It still remains the case that lifting restrictions after you have vaccinated your population will result in many fewer deaths than doing so before; surely the experience of the UK after its “freedom day” proves at least this? Australia would be made to lift restrictions while the population is largely unvaccinated.

I don't think we can say that Austrlian success in limiting infection "also led to their vaccine problems". They have vaccine problems because they don't have enough vaccines. That's because they stuffed up the procurement project. That wasn't a conseqence of succesful infection controls.

You mention vaccine hesitancy. We don't yet know how big a problem this might be in Australia yet, because the limiting factor has been constraint on supply. As supplies have increased, take-up has increased and, so far, as fast as the government can shovel it out, people are taking it up. So, whatever amount of vaccine hesitancy may or may not be out there, it hasn't yet had any practical effect - which means we are unable to measure it.

There's anecdotal evidence which is hard to evaluate, and there are surveys, etc, about attitudes to vaccination. But experience elsewhere suggests that these tend to be unreliable; French surveys a few months ago were suggesting something like 35% of the population were expressing vaccine hesitancy, but France has now outstripped the UK for percentage of the population vaccinated. It seems that what people say when asked in the abstract is not necessarily a reliable guide to what they will do when actually offered vaccination. We'll have to wait and see how this plays out in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Zero covid is definitely not going to work. But restrictions in Australia will probably remain quite stringent for a while because:

1. It's been shown that the amount of fear people have about covid is linked to the stringency of the measures imposed by their government. The public generally believes "the government wouldn't do something as drastic as X unless it were necessary", which in turn gives their government license to impose more measures (or at least damps any pressure to remove measures).
    2. Australians have not really faced covid in their communities. If you have lived in Ireland, or the UK, or New York, then you have known in your own life that deaths from Covid are pretty rare, that most people recover after a week or so, and that deaths are heavily concentrated in the very sick and/or elderly, many of them in nursing homes. Australians, meanwhile, according to a poll back in June, on average believe that they're chance of dying of the contract SARS-CoV-2 is 38%.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Gosh. Noted right-wing commentator on noted right-wing TV channel mentions survey to which no link is provided and of which no details are given to enable those with an interest in the matter to inform themselves and make their own judgments.

Do you not recognise when you're being played, MilkyToast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Hah! Sky news is about as trustworthy as a fart after eating a tin of prunes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

So they have abandoned zero covid and say they will reduce restrictions when they hit 80% vaccinated, they are gonna **** the bed bigtime when they see that vaccines only last about 6 months.

God, It is so sad, I had hoped to visit Australia one day, not a hope in hell they will be letting any tourists in there in the next decade tho ..

About the only trustworthy source in all this that is being honest about covid and not creaming themselves over lockdowns and calling for more and longer restrictions.

I see you work in an industry that is unaffected by all this and are making plenty of $$$ ....

Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The problem is that Australia failed completely regarding the handing of the Coronavirus. They believed that the virus can be beaten only by quarantine and travel restrictions. They even went so far as to discussing jail time for Australians wanting to return from India, a proposal which was later scrapped.... ( This whole idea sounds even a bit fascist to me, as it sort of criminalizes returning citizens into their own country or sort of declaring your own citizens as persona non grata...) Also forbidding their won citizens and permanent residents to leave Australia is something I only knew from Eastern Europe under communism and behind the iron curtain.

On the one side, one can always argue that the virus was new, and nobody new, and better safe than sorry. The geographic location of both Australia and NZ make that thinking of isolation also possible.

However this would or may have worked with something like the Spanish flu or other strong flu-like viruses. The Coronavirus especially the Delta variant is totally different. Even more Australia failed in handling the Corona-crisis as they don't vaccinate the population or failed to vaccinate by the time every other developed nation would have. The population size of both Australia and NZ is not that high that one can't vaccinate 70 to 80% of the population, the only challenge is probably only going to be the vast distance.

I've never been to Australia, but always held a high regard for the country. However the handling of Coronavirus has put Australia way down on any ranking for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Australia won't be letting any tourists in for the next ten years? I don't think you even believe that one yourself now, in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Apparently it's until the end of 2021.

I would largely believe that they would allow tourists in from 2022 onwards, if they are double vaccinated and the last vaccine is at least 2 weeks past.

It would seem practical to upload documents of vaccination into some online account and later on, get some kind of travel authorisation to enter.

Whether politicians and law makers would go along with that, is another debate.

Economically they would only hurt themselves if they keep to isolationism.

I absolutely DO believe that !

For the average Joe I mean, elitists can just swan in and out as they please - look at Natalie Portman or Mat Damon atm...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I would have thought their first decision would be how to allow their own people home rather than how to bring in tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Jaysus dont tell gral6 that! Theyre convinced that the border will be stricter than north korea for the next 100,000 years, give or take.

• Advertisement

Australia never believed that the virus could be "beaten only by quarantine and travel restrictions"; the long-term plan was always herd immunity through vaccination. Auarantine and travel restrictions (and other pandemic control measures) were interim measures until that could be achieved. The problem is that through a combination of bad luck and incompetence they stuffed up the procurement of vaccine, which has left them reliant on quarantine and travel restrictions for longer than they would have wished or, I think, expected at the outset.

The thing is, the quarantine and travel restrictions have worked pretty well, and they continue to work well. Over the course of the pandemic Australia has had much less Covid infection, and many fewer Covid deaths, than comparable countries, and it has achieved this at a much lower fiscal and economic cost, and with much less limitation of people's lives. (Sure, our international travel has been heavily restricted, but in other areas of life we've had much less restriction than other countries). There's persistent denial about this in this thread.

But once you look at the facts openly and dispassionately, it's clear that, however poor Australia's vaccine procurement has been, (a) its pandemic control has been, and continues to be, very good, and (b) given its current situation, the rational choice for Australia is still to maintain its pandemic control measures until it achieves much higher levels of vaccination.

Advertisement