Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Why does it matter what the team were "traditionally good at" it's not the same players and we haven't been good playing 4-4-2 hoofball in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

All the positivity goes out the window for me if we don't beat Azerbiajan and get a result against Serbia.

It really is time for results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Irish players, Connolly in particular, were faking injuries in order to waste time in the second half. This is one unwelcome development under Kenny. I have never seen this happen under previous managers and, also, if he insists on his defenders playing out from the back it will this team's and his own ruination. Bog standard championship level defenders are simply incapable of doing this. Even the likes of Maguire and Stones are uncomfortable playing in that fashion, looking awkward and under pressure and, generally, ending up passing back to the keeper who hoofs it upfield. Kenny must organise his defence to play to their strengths. The reason we lost against Portugal was because of rank bad defending and not because of the brilliance of Ronaldo. He had two free headers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

After the first leg of the WC playoff against Denmark, one of their players said playing against Ireland was like trying to open a tin can with your bare hands. We've often lamented this defensive rigidity because it offers little attacking threat, but it's not a bad tack to switch to if players are tired and more wont to make mistakes if playing short passes out from the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

If the ref feels that there’s timewasting by the players then he’s free to warn/book them and add on what he feels is necessary, which is what he did, no issue there. But that doesn’t excuse the other refereeing issues, and it doesn’t give him free reign to be easier on one side than the other.

And we lost definitely because we were tiring and started making mistakes, but both goals were influenced by poor officiating-Kenny wanted to get 2 subs on at 1-0 but he couldn’t do that because the 4th official didn’t do his job.

And the winner came about with additional time added on because VAR had a potential penalty check for Portugal( which would be fine if they could do the same for Ireland) and then they were given a free kick for the flimsiest handball decision you’ll ever see. It really felt like Portugal were being given every opportunity to win the game.

If you don’t like having the team play out the way they do I can understand that, and there’s an argument to be made for getting this team to see games out which is an issue, but I wholeheartedly disagree that the only reason we lost is due to poor defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Is the Ireland U21 match at 15.30 today available on any format ( YouTube, UEFA stream etc) ? I can’t find any information about it anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Kenny is learning on the job and adapting the play to be alot more practical. Great to see Duffy and Coleman back in the team I'd imagine even Kenny would admit dropping them was his biggest mistake so far.

We're seeing alot less faffing around at the back although we were nearly caught out messing against Portugal. Alot of our play was the long ball upto Idah and hope he can hold it up. I'm OK with that as it was working a little.

We've stopped trying to beat teams on possession as it was getting us nowhere and actively looking to progress forward as quick as possible.

Kenny has realised our best weapons remain down the flacks, getting crosses into the box and set pieces, this is where we're most dangerous and most likely to score.

The fact that he's willing to change and learn I'd like to see the contract extended to give him the Euros and then take stock after that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

As silly as it may sound the only negative I take from the Portugal game was the result.

Don't think I've enjoyed an Irish game as much in years. First half especially but even the second half there was some decent football played and we could have nicked a second.

Heartbreaking stuff in the end but I've always said I'd rather lose every match trying to play proper football. No point qualifying for tournaments playing like $hit. Hopefully this is the start of Kennys era. One good thing is the lads get to put the result behind them quickly.

Agree with other posters, a win and a draw or 2 wins are the only acceptable results now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Terrible, but that's because the team completely lost all its discipline after scoring first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I still scratch my head thinking of those half time changes MON made. Yeah we needed to score, but the guy ripped the centre of midfield out and gave Eriksson free reign to do whatever he wanted.

Honestly think MON would have lasted longer if he used 2018 to change things up but the minute the first Nations League game rolled around it was 4-4-2 and hoofing it to a crocked Jonathan Walters who was clearing finished as a player. Though the Keane stuff probably helped just as much.

All the way back to Trap I have been screaming for Ireland to be more proactive with bringing in new caps.

It's the main reason I am happy to cut the current team some slack

Everyone knows it's more attractive to watch and there is less of the trauma for fans of the team being pegged back under relentless assault game after game.

But it's still a fact we have no good result yet.

It's only working when we see results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Nice business for Rovers...

Shamrock Rovers are quids in after Gavin Bazunu’s swift elevation to become Ireland’s first-choice goalkeeper.

Mirror Sport can reveal that Manchester City are paying the Hoops a tidy six-figure sum for EVERY competitive international appearance he makes up to a set limit.

It was one of the clauses inserted in the transfer deal when the Premier League champions signed the now 19-year-old from Rovers for €500,000 in 2019.

Rovers are already guaranteed almost half that figure again following Bazunu’s two competitive senior outings to date under Stephen Kenny.

I disagree with the idea that Kenny needs at least 4 points out of the next 2 games. What he needs are 2 good performances, and a win (preferably comfortably) against Azerbaijan.

Serbia are a better side so it’s not a massive failure if they beat us(and have 2 competitive games to our 3), but would like to see us give them a decent game. A point or better would be brilliant but it shouldn’t be expected.

I think the most important game for this campaign will be Luxembourg away. We were so ponderous against them in Dublin, and we should be looking to beat them by more than 1 goal away. We are third seeds in the group, so if we finish third in a campaign where Kenny got to grips with his squad then I’d be happy enough with that going into the euros campaign.

Didn't say MON should have down a 180. He changed things for the first couple of friendlies, even had Callum O'Dowda playing as the the advanced midfielder in a 3-5-2. But the minute the first somewhat competitive game came around he reverted back to 4-4-2 with Walters and McClean up front and made a bunch of Welsh youngsters look like world beaters.

I saw this posted over on the YBIG forum, will link the forum but said maybe add it here for people to discuss, or maybe add their own points if they feel something's missing because not sure how many here would use that from.

https://forum.ybig.ie/ireland-v-azerbaijan-match-thread_topic57943_post2405501.html#2405501

Pros:

We're scoring goals now.

3 goals in 2 games against bigger sides.

Young lads like O'Shea, Molumby, Connolly and Idah are either in double figures in terms of caps or are fast approaching it.

Cullen looking like establishing himself and adjusting to what's expected of him.

We haven't lost a competitive game by more than one goal.

We've been in every competitive game right to the end.

Defensive solidity married with a gradually increasing goal threat.

Players look more comfortable playing with ball to feet and in confined spaces.

Proof that Doherty and Coleman can play in same team.

Found our best formation.

Clear and gradual improvement in set pieces, even without Brady & Hourihane.

A significant amount of goals resulting from individual errors rather than our tactics or setup being found wanting/something that can be ironed out and worked on.

Mixing things up more when Plan A is not working/no longer passing futilely to our opponents content see Wales/Finland.

Kenny coaxing more consistency out of Hendrick than McCarthy, and O'Neill towards the end of his reign.

Showing less rigidity to one system and specific players.

Adaptability in the face of numerous Covid and injury setbacks and off-field distractions.

Players clearly playing for him and believe in him.

Cons:

Still making unnecessary individual errors, some of which go unpunished.

Bazunu still looks error prone; Randolph, too, in a way which went unnoticed under Kenny's predecessors; Travers selection against Serbia was a crucial error in judgement.

Idah doesn't get into positions where he can score.

Connolly does but can't finish his breakfast, chooses the wrong options.

Struggle to break down smaller sides, something which hopefully reached a turning point against Andorra.

Knight/Molumby/Idah/Connolly/Parrott still look like they're one or two years away from maturing fully in a way we'll get the benefit of.

Still lack the focal point of a Walters/Murphy/Doyle/even McGoldrick to send in crosses from open play.

Need to get a midfielder (Browne looks the best bet) to anticipate and get on the end of breaking balls in/edge of six-yard box.

Need to be more wily about attracting fouls in the opposition half to break up play and regroup/Kenny matches have been more frenetic to watch which makes for a more entertaining, albeit stressful spectacle.

Stressful spectacle? Don't agree with that.

The only thing stressful is the playing around at the back in our own box. Plenty of times on Wednesday it would have better getting rid of it. The penalty showing how risky that is.

Overall atm it's far less stressful to watch than under the 3 previous mangers imo where the likes of Georgia or Kazakhstan routinely had our goal under siege after we knicked a goal from a hit and hope. Or when Amenia played us off the park in a crucial Euro 2012 qualifier at home, a game we were ludicrously fortunate in.

I could on. So many games we were outplayed by weak opposition as a tactical choice.

We just don't have results which is a hurdle we need to get over tomorrow and Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

i still scratch my head how fans and media thought we could score 2 goals in the second half of that game when O’Neill’s team almost only ever scored one and only one goal in so so many games they played.

the World Cup was dead long before Denmark ran riot

Id agree for the most part. I don't think anything less than 6 or 4 points is abject failure. As you say performance is a big part of the picture. But I do think results need to start to drip in now or the wheels could come off as far as squad psyche and pressure on management etc.

Excellent news for us.

Edit:

Fantastic to see Robinson, Browne, and Scales brought up. Think it's good to have another LWB option that likes to get forward and is good technical in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Dan McDonnell reporting that Robinson is back in the frame for the Azerbaijan game. Huge news, he's been excellent for West Brom so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Anyone showing the U-21 game this afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The magic plane across the Irish Sea working wonders again.

• Advertisement

Only foreign broadcasters I think, there's links over on the YBIG U21 thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Have we had a comment about Liam Scales travelling on the magic plane yet!!

Yep, results would be great for the team, but I think it’s okay to prioritise performances for this campaign. The team should take a lot of positives from how they played against Portugal.

The Euro campaign is when he’ll be under far more pressure to deliver, but by that time the squad should be in a far better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I whacked it in above. From what I've heard he's a quality player who has all the ability and attitude in the world to make the step up in fairness.

• Advertisement

If he can have the same impact as Jamie McGrath in Scotland then that's great for us. Celtic aren't stocked at LB, and fans have been critical of Greg Taylor and Montgomery only has just over 200mins for senior football I think. Not even 3 full games. That LB spot is there for Scales to make his own if that's where he'll play.

Thanks, i'll give it a watch.

Who would be regarded our genuine future prospects from the U21s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I don't know guys. People saying all that matters is the performances, but if we're failing to win against Azerbaijan tomorrow, we're getting into the realm where we could end up finishing bottom of the group. Would anyone fancy going to Luxembourg and Azerbaijan after failing to beat either at home and needing 6 points?

People are also forgetting that poor results now will also impact our FIFA World Ranking which is used to determine seedings for the qualification groups stages of Euro 2024. As of right now we are ranked 27th of all the UEFA nations. If we drop below 30th, then that will mean we're in pot 4 for the draw and is likely to make qualification very difficult. The draw will be next year and between now and then, our five remaining qualifiers carry the most weight in how many ranking points we can gain/lose. If we can finish this qualification campaign strongly and get 3 wins, we should be safe to retain our third pot status. Any further defeats to Luxembourg or Azerbaijan would put us in serious jeopardy of dropping into pot 4.

Not screwing up these remaining qualifiers is critical.

3 points against Azerbaijan is definitely the bare minimum. A draw or loss against them would absolutely destroy any preceding positive moves. But a loss against Serbia with a very good performance could be forgiven imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Along with beating Azerbayjian would be good to see us bang in a few goals and start opening up defences and creating more, we're still mainly reliant on crosses into the box and set pieces.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Thought it was nation league rankings which determine seeding for Euro 2024 qualifiers and not FIFA rankings. It's why we were third seeds for 2020 qualifiers because we finished as one of the four bottom teams in League B.

I think performances are definitely most important as I think it’s unfair to ask the team to have a massive change in personnel and philosophy and go out and get something out of a side that are a few years further down the road in terms of development. 13 UEFA teams will go to the World Cup and it’s a pipe dream to think that we’d be in the mix while giving the squad such a significant refresh, regardless of who they got to manage the team.

But a result against Azerbaijan is vital I think. They’re the bottom seed so they should be beating them regardless of the changes Kenny has been making. We need a high tempo performance and ideally a win with at least 3 goals. And the reason I think that is that they need to follow up the performance in Portugal to show its progression and not a one off.

I personally wouldn’t get rid of him either way because I don’t think there’s anyone out there who would be better for the team long term, but it’s not my decision and I would completely understand if they decided to part ways with him at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

I've 1 single ticket spare for tomorrow lads.

Face value obviously.

I'm going myself so you'd be sitting beside me!

Block 506

€44

I don't think talk of progress would outweigh even a draw tomorrow. We have to win.

If we don't the knives will be out.

Agreed, when I said result I meant win!

We’re at home, they’re the weakest team in the group. It will be a different challenge because we have to go and break them down. But it cannot be a repeat of the Luxembourg game, we need to be aggressive and more direct. Look for an early goal and press home the advantage. Another struggle against lower opposition and there’ll definitely be pressure for Kenny.

• Advertisement

Well we hope they are the weakest team in the group 😂

Rightly so. There has to be a floor at some point and a loss to Luxembourg and Azerbaijan at home in the same group - he's not coming back from that. He'd have to go if we have any standards at all.

Hopefully that won't happen and we'll get the right result.

Honest question, how would the FAI afford to pay his remaining wages, Robbie Keane wages, and a new managers wages?

Another important question.

Who would the new manager be ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You'd like to think so, but there are some who have backed him to the hilt to such an extent that they will never be able to admit it's not worked.

If a foreign coach, without his media connections, had a record of 14 games managed, 1 win, 5 draws, and 8 defeats, and a win percentage of 7%, they'd already be toast.

Kenny should be giving till the end of this campaign regardless of results imo. But if we were to lose/draw tomorrow I'd be way less optimistic about our future under him then I currently am.

Well for me, I'm hoping Anthony Barry throws his hat into the ring whenever the job comes available. But are they gonna go with someone whose experience is only as a coach.

Jim Goodwin has expressed a desire to manage his country but he's in contract with St Mirren until 2024. A possible contender come then if Kenny is still around and fails to qualify for Euro 2024.

Tony Mowbry could be an option. Out of contract next summer I think and someone here often passes comment that Blackburn try to play possession football, and he's often played three at the back at times I believe. The average age of their squad is 23.9 so he's working with younger players so would be a good indicator he wouldn't abandon the young lads in our squad for the older players.

He'll be given till the end of his contract, didn't the new FAI also change his job title to incorporate the younger age groups. So his involvement isn't just with the senior team.

Well yes but part of that would be because the foreign coach who let's say got the job instead of Kenny would not have worked with the Irish underage set up and probably would not care about the Irish team or players long term other than getting results to keep his job.

Also it's a sign of just how crap we have been. It's only at this rock bottom point that people are willing to make such a long term gamble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I have two spare tickets for tomorrow. Block 507. Happy to sell them for €60 for the pair of anyone wants them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement