Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and Nato withdrawal from Afghanistan...- threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Did they not have any weapons and explosives before or something?

Let China take center stage and let's see if the Taliban actually care about their Uyghur "Brothers and Sisters"...

"Mr Mujahid told Italian newspaper La Repubblica "China is our prinicipal partner and for us represents a fundamental and extraordinary opportunity because it’s ready to invest in and reconstruct our country. Beyond that, we have rich copper mines which thanks to the Chinese can be brought back into production and modernised. China represents our passport towards the markets of the whole world.”

IS have just carried out a terrorist attack in New Zealand. Under surveillance and known to the prime minister but still managed to carry out the attack.

"The prime minister said she was aware of the man prior to Friday’s attack, and he had been under surveillance for some time."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No, they didn't...but nice of you to jump in with that.

IS inspired attack as they all are. They don't have a database of members. Nice of you to rush in as usual to deflect.

"Jacinda Ardern says attack was carried out by a ‘violent extremist’ who followed Islamic State ideology and was being monitored by police"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

regarding all the military stuff which is obiously being left from the US in Afghanistan, it's mindboggling. I saw a documentary kind of 2-3 years ago how the germans, meticoulous as they are😁, got every tank, van and other piece of military stuff into this huge cargo planes and flew it back to Germany. I don't know from where, I think the germans had a partly withdrawel already 2-3 years ago maybe from Masar, but doesn't matter. The question is why the US is not able or obviously was not willing to do the same? I remember that documentary very well because I was so gobsmacked about the immense effort and surely what it will cost. (the taxpayer...).

Instead they leave it there like they want the Taliban to have it or what? It's not explainable otherwise. If the US wants something done they do it, no matter about the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Because they were leaving it to the Afghan Army. By the time it became clear that that so-called army was

it was too late to get the stuff out without getting into pitched battles with the Taliban all across the country

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yup, he was known and being followed by the police and he was shot dead within 60 seconds of the attack happening. Shouldn't have been in the country and should have been deported years ago.

I can't believe the US people in charge didn't anticipate the Taliban would take over. They knew. They knew probably after a few years in they would never get rid of the Taliban and they knew they will always be there, in the backgroung maybe, even in Kabul, waiting for their time. I remember reading or hearing from an old Mujaheddin, probably in the R. Stewart documentary: The US have all the money in the world, but we have all the time...Proved to be right.

The more I think about it the less I can't get my head around why the US left at all. Hearing about the Taliban all buddying up with China to start digging for the seemingly vast resources hidden in the ground, very much needed especially for the new digital world, it might have been their own biggest mistake to loose their status from being the super power and the world police. As somebody here already wrote, there will always be a super power in this world, no matter what, and as much as I dislike what the US did in the centuries after WW2, I woud always prefer them to China.

But then, we, the ordinary people, will never really know what's really going on. My guess is the US had to admit to themselves they had no chance at all, they knew the Afghan people/Taliban would never work together commercially with the US after the twenty years of suppression, the opposite, they would never give up demoralise the US, like they did with Russia. There are most probaly also money issues, they don't have 'all the money in the world' anymore, it's somewhere else..Fmpov this is the turning point for the US.

So, it's China-Time, them taking over, like it was always predicted to be happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The countdown is on for the first terror attack by a refugee from this mess.

• Advertisement

The more I think about it the less I can't get my head around why the US left at all.

Because it's what the majority of Americans want, and ultimately political elites can only frustrate the will of the people for so long.

Costing too much money and costing US lives. For no real gain to the US.

Another issue, is there is growing threat from other militaries, China, Russia, and others etc.

The US wants to redirect its money from these wars to replace its aging worn out equipment, and us it to maintain a technology advantage over everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It's really strange that islamic fundamentalists are considering firendship with a nation that holds muslims in camps and forces them not to practice their religion.

It's almost like they dont actually care about the muslim faith at all.......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ahh FFS we all know what the poster meant, but we have the usual shyte trying to deflect.

War actually pushes innovation not the other way around.

Look how they have moved on from humvees to something better able to handles mines and IEDs like the Cougars, RGs, International MaxxPros, Oshkosh MRAPs.

Look how there has been huge growth in special forces numbers over last 20 years.

Look at the developments in drone technology.

People seem to forget what keeps a lot of America ticking over, it is their military and their military industrial complex.

The more armoured Oshkosh JLTV vehicles built the more jobs in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

Hell they just got a $152 million deal last July.

The more UH-60 Black Hawks sold to Afghan's or fecked up in combat the more sales for Sikorsky and the more jobs in Stratford, Connecticut.

When the cold war wound down the number of aerospace and defense companies went from 51 to 5 through mergers and acquisitions.

The aerospace and defense industry in US have revenues in the hundreds of billions.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Well, what ever they did have before, its been multiplied now x 1000 of times's. Oh, I'm pretty sure that the world will find out soon enough what they have, and how they plan to use it. Humvees will be the least of their worrie's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Not strange at if they know that all that "muslims in camps and forces them not to practice their religion" stuff is nothing more than American propaganda shite.

And the Taliban are in a position to know the truth as I'm certain they don't rely on America and western MSM for their 'news'.

The reason they were caught flat-footed with all the weapons, was it was never in the plan that the Govt and ANA would collapse, and least of all, in the manner in which it did fall.....I imagine that in all of their planning of possible outcome scenarios, this was not even included...a 100% collapse. And had the US started to withdraw vehicles earlier, it would have sent all the wrong signels I think. There would have been a normal rotation of vehicles etc. from some of the NATO members. They plan X nr of vehicles, for replacement or total removal after a specified time. This is normal for all operators there, and not only military. Afghanistan is a hard country on vehicles, even purpose built ones. And it could also have been used to show good faith during the talks with the Taliban. It will go down as one of the biggest blunders in American military history. Also, I think that given the vast amount of equipment ( 20 years worth.) it would have been prohibitly expensive to transfer all of it back to the US. And the Americans are very cost sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Money talks this is case and point the Taliban and Chinese in a cosy bed together ,as repeatedly shown in Islam they are only happy enough wipe out other sects of their religion ....

People are so very singular about faraway countries. We debate abortion law in America in its minutiae whilst casting an all-encompassing net over our understandings of middle and Eastern politics. Like if you know Sunni vs Shia, you're a scholar.

The withdrawal from Afghanistan has definitely shown me that we know feck all. If America's military was fooled by it, what chance do the rest of us have debating it.

good point.

But then, I havn't actully heard or read that it's fixed they will do business with China, I think it's all speculation at this stage. I will believe it when it becomes a fact. Or has anybody any trustworthy links to it, like from the guardian? Had a quick research and I could only find unspecific articles, often with the important word they MAY do business together.

• Advertisement

Yes but being at war for so long is wearing out things like airframes far earlier than expected or budgeted. So it's not that want to spend less. They just dont want to spend it in Afghanistan.

At the moment, its a case of "Look..New Management, Looking for Business, All applications welcome " But for the sake of argument, lets say the Chinese do one of their famous " we will build your Airport, Motorway, Ferryport etc. and all we want in return are guarantees that in default, we will have complete control of the facility for 100 years, all nice and legal. But when the Country does default, thats exactly what they do. But how would that work in Afghanistan?? If the Afghan Govt defaulted on the loan, and the Chinese decided to protect their investment by moving a large military force into the Country. What next??? Jihad again? We live in interesting times......

China has a policy of not getting involved in the politics of foreign nations, it just does business with them.This is a policy thats totally alien to the western imperial mindset and so they assume that China will behave as they do..they won't!.

And as for paying for any infrastructure projects, Afghanistan has vast untapped mineral resources, which they can also get the Chinese to develop.So there will never be any payment issues arise.

The Chinese will get on just fine in Afghanistan.

Will be interesting to see just the same....The Russians and the Americans were there for years,and they were well aware of what was there mineral-wise, and yet they did not attempt to recover these mineral riches. Unless they will rock the boat of the old cliche " Afghanistan is the gravyard of empires."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Taliban, a force estimated at 70k men with no heavy weapons conquered a country of 40 million, a country where ownership of military rifles, usually AKs is normal for a family, a given. Where those who declared themselves it's opponents were given a never ending Stream of the world's best military hardware.

They walked through the country with hardly a shot fired.

They have the support or tolerance of by the majority, otherwise they would not have had the barest chance.

They walked in because the ANA did not feel that a corrupt government was worth dying for....and when the US handed everything to the Govt, inc, full responsibality for the ANA, ( including salarys) after the first line of defence fell ( not having been resupplied with arms, food or salary for several months) the rest fell like dominoes. If the majority of Afghans supported the Taliban, they would have been restored to power years ago. The held elections, and Loya Jirga's to confirm the kind of Government they wanted, and that was not the Taliban. Quite the opposite in fact, and that was no surprise given their brutality the last time they were in power. and to reinforce that statement,,,just look at the Nrs trying to leave. During their last term in power, out of a population of 20 Million at the time, 4 million were refugees in other Countrys. No they do not have popular support....they rule by force of arms and terror.

The Russians and Americans could never recover the mineral wealth because they went in there with guns blazing and earned the enmity of large segments of the population.

It was nigh on impossible for them to be able to carry out activity such as mining in remote areas if they were daily going to be encountering roads strewn with IEDs, rocket attacks, snipers and suicide bombers.

Those that go in there without that kind of enmity can just get on with their job

I guss, if you put it like that, it might work and asuming 100% suport by the Taliban, who in turn will need 100% support and co-operation of all the various factions that are there. The next 6 mths will be crucial.

• Advertisement

I am pretty sure the Taliban were barred from running for election at that time..I think the rules were the Afghans could have any government they wanted..as long as it wasn't the Taliban.

It would have been a complete joke at that time if the Americans had just invaded with the stated goal of ousting the Taliban...and then allowed them to get elected back again!.

Advertisement