Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Stop talking about it and close your account then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

That's a question that those who are in a position to support can't as they already left, they will not actually be here. You're free to leave any time you want, nobody is forcing you to stay here. I've absolutely no problems sticking around.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi folks

We made a few small updates today - one of those was post numbers are showing on Desktop now. We also will work on getting them over to mobile also. We are also working on amongst other things:

• Bookmarks icon on desktop (like mobile)
    • Time stamp
    • Most thanked
    • Mod utils
    • Notifications
    • Popular Forums
    • My forums
    • Our staging environment is out of sync
    • Moving all css updates off 'pockets' and in
    • Adding an additional new post above fold on mobile
    • Investigating reports of deleted threads - this was resolved and not an issue
    • Ad placements - currently in pockets which do not work so need to be hardcoded to site

Some of the above need to be hardcoded and submitted for approval and we try to get as many of these in at once.

We have the old top nav built but decided not to push it since the right hand panel has been there for sometime. We will however utilise the drop down and share here over the coming weeks. We want to add in a few more ways to get too popular forums too which will help users find areas that are not logically found in search at the moment.

We have been working with Vanilla on resolving issues with search performance / speed. We have reindexed lots of times now and its still pretty poor to say the least and there seems to be some pretty big issues here. The Vanilla CTO is investigating and we will be following up again over the coming days. Currently search relevance is set to give weight to the title of the discussion and much the search term(s) are mentioned within the discussion which means we get back results from 10 years ago that don't make sense. There currently is a drop down menu to select results populate which we will look to setting at newest by default as a short-term fix.

The above are just some of the things we are working on. We also have plugins to create for various items - modtools, gdpr, homepage updates including timestamps etc - so these things take a little bit longer to complete and as you know we have a very small team working through a long list.

Over the coming weeks after we get some more of the bigger ticket items sorted we will share some data around posts, traffic etc. We are certainly down in some areas ie new post count vs pre-migration - a lot of that is down to issues that have been raised here... some fixed, some being worked on... but we are starting to see some positive signs there and hopefully that continues.

We are collating all feedback that is posted here and adding it to a master list and have a lot to do so please don't take us not responding to every reply as not listening... we just have to prioritise a lot of work in the background that consumes a lot of time... and we are few. You will see from a lot of our fixes / updates have been flagged here - so thanks again for that it is really helpful.

We are getting to a better place everyday. Slower than I hoped and it goes without saying that we are not happy with how the migration went or the pace of change - that is on me. But I have said a few times that we had a to make this change or there would not be any Boards.ie anymore and I stand by that. We will never be the Boards platform of old I'm afraid - We are trying to get to a place where its similar and we will get there are getting there through your feedback.

I have taken note of a few issues noted around bookmarks & notifications. We had several fixes roll out on this so will PM some of you directly to see if there are still problems.

Thanks,

Odhran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Neowise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 40,408 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

@Boards.ie: Niamh @Boards.ie: Odhran can somebody in charge comment on my post? Is it now boards.ie policy to delete posts that mention certain words?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Twitter, Reddit, Instagram, TikTok next on the hit list. Can't be having people linking to those sites daily like we have done for decades if we want consistency. But boards don't really want consistency do they? They just block one particular site, just because. Not like Voat which was an abusive cesspit, and the reason they justified that, or gearbest for actual shilling with money involved but this time it's just a little forum with 500 members.

I'd hazard a guess there were dozens more links to twitter every single day than the forum they've decided to block. Go figure eh?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

it is not even that they blocked a link to the other site. I used the words that are in a particular acronym that matches the other site name and the post was deleted. The post wasn't even about the other site. The post was about a current political situation and the words were totally cromulent to the discussion. the post was deleted nonetheless. I want @Boards.ie: Niamh or @Boards.ie: Odhran to confirm if those particular words are now justification for a post to be deleted. I will not let this go. I am seriously pissed at how pathetic the actions of the mods were.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

I’m not aware of what happened here @ohnohedidnt. This was neither myself or Niamh but we can check with the forum moderator and have the conversation there.

• Advertisement

I would have checked with them myself but I haven't a clue how to find out who they are on the new site nor the name of the mod that actually did the deletion. the md deleted 4 posts in total on the coveney thread. No notice, nothing on thread to say why, nothing. Not good enough.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Other users have also had this issue and it seems to relate to an extension or plugin added to the browser. Can you check those byt switching off one by one to see which one is affecting you? Or try a different browser? Thanks.

Tables are on the list of features that Vanilla are working on but we don't have a date for when they will be available yet I'm afraid. The suggested workaround is to copy and paste a table from elsewhere like Excel but that cannot be edited in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭mossie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Neowise

Thanks Niamh, as you can see in posts #1262 of that thread, (post numbers, so glad they are back) we have used the picture method as of july 16th, adding the table contents into a spoiler so they can be edited by other users, so, this was just making sure its was on the list, as quotable editable sortable tables were great for displaying and sharing info in FGs.

Happy that its on the list and will be gotten to.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you can drop me a PM detailing the thread in question I can have a look at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Oh come on, just because the little “hate site” is small doesn’t mean the admins should tolerate its shilling on here.

That site is actively looking at trying to entice regular boards.ie users over with the idea of no moderation and all “opinions” welcomed, and we all know what that means.

Thankfully, so far it has only managed to attracted mostly already banned users and a number of malcontents. Most of whom spend their time “attacking” boards, itself. I see no reason why anyone in charge of this site would want to be associated with that.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 11,815 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

still having trouble pasting in links and text from elsewhere and then getting above that to write some more text, (above and between the quote you made and the quoted post) you used to be able to switch modes in order to fix problems like that.

such basic things are still a pain.

I've seen very little attacking of boards there, in fact it was actively discouraged by the person who set up the site, and I don't see any more"hate" there than Reddit, Twitter etc. etc. For god sake the Current Affairs forum here has as much/more hate, and that's been like that more or less since it's inception. That supposedly has moderation.

I still continue to post here, like I have for 15 years and still hope for improvement in the site and posting numbers but clampdowns and adding site names to swear filters? Embarrassing stuff.

I get it though, you're happy with things, and that's good too, just some of us appreciate other places to discuss things as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You must be joking. There are posters over there knocking Boards as a site, the Moderators and the members. It's rife with people banned from Boards calling for extremely lax moderation because they'd never survive otherwise. Berties Horse and a couple of others can hardly string three words together without getting a dig at Boards users. There were several there openly saying how they were hitting Boards with as many mentions of the new site as possible and PMing people to leave Boards and join them. I liked it there, as there were some decent threads starting but there's definitely a toxic tone from some that drove me away from it.

• Advertisement

And stopping that, banning people who abuse pm shouldn't be difficult.

If it is such a terrible place why does Boards allow moderators here to continue to moderate while using that site?

It's because, despite what some there might be like, just the same as here, most posters have no interest in shīt stirring and just want some kind of useable site to discuss things on. Go looking hard enough for arseholes you'll find them anywhere on the internet.

But I've said enough on this subject, I'm sure the powers that be think I've said enough too so I am happy to leave it there. They don't change their minds on these things and as I said before I'll continue to plod away here, more in hope than expectation, I'll continue to use that other site in the hope in thrives and hope we all end up with what we want.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

As @Tom Mann Centuria has undoubtedly put better than I'm about to, you're wrong.

Not a "hate site" (LOL). It's not MySpace FFS 😂

Not comprised of 'banned users and malcontents'. There are many good, solid posters over there, some of whom I definitely recognise from here.

There is some complaining about Boards (mostly the revamp), but it's a fraction of the complaining about Boards HERE on Boards itself. Also the odd arsehole over there, but as stated, they're everywhere including here.

But if you want to tell yourself all the above is true, you go right ahead. There are obviously alternative places for people to chat, and no one place are likely to suit all users, so it's good to have the options.

In my opinion, it's a shame when a certain site(s) is specifically targeted for censorship, especially at a time when the community here has been absolutely battered by the Vanilla revamp, but Boards will do as Boards will do, as is their right and perogitive.

Evening everyone, just a couple of small updates here today.

A new 'New Discussion' button has been added to the top of the homepage on mobile in response to users who were unsure of how to post. There had just been one at the very bottom of the page which wasn't too easy to discover.

When logged out the 'New Discussion' button was cut off (just said 'New Disc') but that button has been fixed also.

Edited to add that there is now a new Top Forums box on the desktop homepage to direct you to the busiest of the forums without having to go via the Categories menu. We hope this will help a lot of you until My Forums are up and running. We'll replicate this function on mobile but it's not live there yet.

That's all for today folks, have a lovely weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭mossie

When I'm reading a post on desktop neither the "Categories" or "Top Forums" boxes are visible. Neither are they visible in my bookmarks page or what passes for "My Forums". These (particularly categories) need to be visible on all pages not just the front page.

If you're signed out you shouldn't be able to start a new discussion or see the new discussion button at all though.

The difference being that the complaining on “there” is incredibly spiteful and coming from, previously, banned users if this site.

I’ll grant you, there are one or two, more, normal users who seem to be, somewhat, active but, for the most part, it’s the “Current Affairs” type poster who wants to be able to spout their vicious, and nasty, opinions unchecked.

Just had a look there and they’ve even got a copycat ‘Late Late Show’ thread. It’s ridiculous. Boards shouldn’t entertain this pale imitation and any further shilling of it should be dealt with harshly.

For what it’s worth, this site is running well now. Any “issues” users could have at this stage must be minor, dark mode etc.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Imagine being annoyed that posters on another site are discussing The Late Late Show. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

We're drifting off topic but you know rightly the point being made was an awful lot more than than.

• Advertisement

Either way, doesn’t look like the copycat “version” was up to much anyway.

As the fixes roll in you’re only going to see the banned, and the perpetually miserable, users on there.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement