Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Also in UK, Shell aim to install 50,000 on-street charge points. Earlier in the year, they bought Ubitricity, who are a supplier of local authority charge points. They currently have a network of 3,600 in lamp posts and bollards. This is to expand that. The government pay 75% of the installation costs of these for local authorities. Shell/Ubitricity will pay the rest (subject to commercial terms, of course).

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/01/shell-on-street-ev-charge-points-2025

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

“The site is strategically placed on the A56 and has eight dedicated ultra-rapid 150kW EV charging bays”

Is J14 Mayfield still in testing? Esb rollout seems to have slowed to a complete halt, especially when it comes to hubs.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Sure they got Mayfield rolled out. They'll be talking about that longer than Arsenal talked about being "invincibles".

Rollout has certainly slowed this last few weeks.

* only 5 months for slow units. About 6 months ago they removed about 60 3rd party units from their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

J14 is not sorted. I see on plugshare people reporting slow speeds. I noticed when a car is connected on the 350kW side the 200kW turns red. I bet we won't hear anything about a new hubs unless these issues are resolved. Also there is one smaller hub with the units installed since March and not powered up. https://www.plugshare.com/location/34914. The Porlaoise 150kW unit still limited @50kW.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Unreal, are eCars not in the real world where we have Operational Qualification and Equipment Qualification before let loose on the public, what a crowd of amateurs

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The fear I have is... I seem to remember watching a Bjorn video where he was showing some of them new units that the ESB have installed in Mayfield.. the Hyper speed units, and saying that they were having some issues with them.....

So if the Norwegians are/were 'having issues' with those units, you can only imagine that the same issues will be cataclysmic for someone like eCars..... and they'll never be working right. (I just looked at the app again, and every time 1 side is being used, the other side goes offline!!)

Something tells me they'd have just been better off installing 6 of the 150kW units, with 5 of them being single CCS, and the last one being twin CHAdeMO, and then just a bog standard 50kW triple head (with AC43).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That must be a recent development. I used one of those about 2 weeks ago and there was an ID.4 on the 350kW side and I was on the 200kW side and we were both charging. It was busy the same day with some of the other units with both cables being used too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I pulled in a few weeks ago, and tried to use a 200kW cable where a Model S was using the 350kW side and it wouldn't work.. I should have checked the app first as it showed as unavailable. I moved down to the 50kW unit and plugged into it, and about 2 minutes lates saw th e1st 200kW I tried was back available again, so moved on down to it.

The Model S driver came out (a German guy) and was shocked that I got it working, as he couldn't get it working when he first arrived while another car was using the other side, and only started the charge when that car left... so it really seems to be hit and miss as to when it will and won't charge 2 cars at once....

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

How many years does a battery on an EV last? Will it just die eventually like a phone? Does that render the car useless or is getting a new battery installed simple?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Depends on a lot of factors, including how much the car is driven, how often it's charged and to what level it's charged and discharged

To give you an idea of what to expect, most EVs now come with a battery warranty of 8 years and some mileage limit, 160,000km seems standard

The warranty is that the battery will not experience higher than expected degredation over this time period. If that does happen then they need to replace the battery at no cost to you

At the end of this period, the car will likely still have the majority of its battery capacity, assuming it's been reasonably well looked after. So it's far from useless, if you started with a 400km range EV, and it loses a fairly drastic 20% over 8 years, then you still have a 320km EV

Another way of looking at it is to check older EVs. The Leafs from 2011 are largely still going but many have lost a good bit of capacity, close to 40% in some cases. They're pretty much worst case as the Leaf doesn't have battery cooling that most modern EVs have.

Older Tesla's are also generally going strong without any real degredation issues. Tesla are talking about batteries that can last for over a million miles on some of their cars

To answer your question of "is it like a phone battery?", the answer is no, phone batteries are treated way worse. Batteries in phones are typically exposed to hot and cold temperatures, they have no real cooling systems, they're charged to maximum capacity and discharged to empty.

All of this accelerates degredation and means your phone battery often loses a big chunk of capacity after 3 years. Having said that, I'm typing this on a 5 year old phone which usually lasts the day on a charge 😁

EV batteries are basically the same technology, but they have way more safeguards to stop them overheating, freezing, being discharged to empty of charged too fast. This is how they last much longer than typical phone batteries

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

And to add to this, phones are designed to live fast die young. using all of the battery capacity all the time.

Most cars have a hidden buffer too so even if you do charge to 100%, its not really at 100% and that allows the battery to last longer.

If you do want your phone battery to last longer, Charge slowly (new pixels have an adaptive charge rate, so it will charge at a slower rate to be ready at a certain time), Only charge to 80% etc.

I sold our 2016 Nissan Leaf with 9% degradation at 5 years old, our Tesla has 8% degradation after 6 years and our Kona has a brand new free replacement battery.

our Tesla has 8% degradation after 6 years

Really?! Thats a surprise.

I thought the Tesla batteries were meant to be the best in class and the Leaf batteries were terrible.... or at least thats what some on here would lead you to believe anyway. Your experience is they are much the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

Thanks folks, appreciate the info

And the other one the same

I never answered your second question about getting a replacement battery

Short version, unless it's a warranty replacement, it's not really worth it

In technical terms, replacing the battery is simple enough:

1. Lift car
    2. Unscrew battery bolts under car
    3. Battery drops out (have something ready to catch it, it weighs 200-300kg 😀)
    4. Put new battery in and connect it
    5. Reprogram BMS for new battery via CAN Bus adaptor (there's programs to do this via a laptop or phone)
    6. Drop car

Obviously lifting a car and heavy battery isn't easy, but it's something most mechanics could potentially do, there's no great science to it

In addition, battery packs are often compatible between cars of similar brands

• All Nissan Leafs have the same size and shape pack, there have been examples of older Leafs being upgraded to 40kWh or 62kWh pack
    • All VW ID cars use the same battery pack, the only difference is the number of cells. In theory you could take a small battery ID.3 and add more cells to bring it up to the biggest battery size

Now comes the tricky question, is any of this worth it?

Unless you get the new battery for a low price and are willing to do the work yourself so the labour is free, then it isn't worth it

There are companies that will replace and upgrade battery packs for you. Cheapest seems to be €6,990 to upgrade a Leaf 24kWh to 30kWh, that's if you let them keep the old battery to resell

Considering you can buy a 24kWh Leaf for around €5k these days, and a 30kWh one for around €11k, that doesn't seem like much of a bargain. It also probably wouldn't raise the resale value and would have insurance implications since the car has been modified (some companies say a battery replacement is minor works but that refers to the 12v battery on all cars)

So unless you really like your current EV and want to give it a longer life, and have access to a car lift and you're fairly handy with mechanics, then battery swaps aren't really worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere.

"BMW wants to encourage its customers to make full use of its car’s part-electric power. As long as the car in question is part of the BMW PHEV range, and is using the BMW Operating System 7 software, it will automatically switch to all-electric power when it enters an eDrive Zone. That assumes, of course, that there is sufficient charge in the battery to do so, but the software can help manage that too. Enter a destination into the car’s sat-nav, and if the route includes an eDrive Zone the hybrid system will automatically save sufficient battery charge to make sure you can enter and cross the zone under zero-emissions power."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,508 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have discovered an issue with work chargers, and was wondering if anyone would have any thoughts on what might be causing it?

We had a single charge point installed a few years ago, a ChargePoint one. It's display says it's an 11kw one and I noticed it charges my Leaf at 3.3.

Have now got more points in, and their display shows them as 22kw ones. But my Leaf constantly interrupts charging after a minute or two. Seems to start ok. Tried couple of the chargers and all doing the same.

The old one still working fine. So that would rule out the timer charging that I am overriding etc. If it works on one, should work on the other. Talking to work colleagues the new chargers are working for them without issues.

So why might the new ones be interrupting?

Post edited by NIMAN on

• Advertisement

So for the 11kW, it makes sense that you'll only get 3.3kW. It's 11kW 3 phase, so 3.6kW per phase. Since your Leaf only charges on single phase, it'll just use one of the 3.6kW supplies. I'm guessing it's dropping to the nearest charging power it has available which is 3.3kW

As for the other chargers, sounds strange alright, maybe a bad connection. I'm guessing they're untethered chargers? If so then maybe borrow a cable and try that, perhaps one of the control pins is losing contact

Does your car beep when the charging gets interrupted? If it does the single beep for cable connected then that would indicate a connection issue

Based on what you’ve described I’d say it’s the charge points, not your car.

is your leaf 6.6kW? Maybe the new charge points dont like that being pulled on one phase.

any of the others users got a Leaf? If not, do you know anyone that could try one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

But my Leaf constantly interrupts charging after a minute or two. Seems to start ok. Tried couple of the chargers and all doing the same.

Possibly connected - plugged our Model 3 into a new EasyGo 22kW AC in Lidl & it kept intermittently stopping the charge. The car said something like "charging interrupted due to high voltage". It would restart & stop again.

Maybe a site issue with too high a voltage & your car being more sensitive to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭denismc

How are you guys measuring the degradation on your batteries?

I just got an OBD dongle to use with Carscanner and according to the app the SOH of my battery is 100%.

Is that it, or am I missing something?

Is it a Leaf, and is it new? SOH of 100% would make sense on a brand new car, might even be higher because they often add a kWh or two into the battery to cover any early life degredation

If it's over a year old, then you'd expect some degredation. Sometimes you need to go for a long drive to calibrate the battery before taking a reading

Also I have some recollection that my Leaf was giving weird battery readings on leafspy for the first few minutes...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

Depends on car, ioniq typically shows 100% up to and above 160,000km but that can't be 100% true as there has to be some degredation, Hyundai and presumably Kia hide the true value and use some of the extra battery buffer. It's like the car starts with 110% and only drops below 100% when it's actually degraded 10%. I am typically a bit suspicious of reported by car degredation as it has warranty and reputation implications and Nissan released BMS updates which suddenly reports the battery improved, which can't be true, but they claim they just fixed a bug. I would say the truth is that they decided to show higher values to prevent battery warranty claims, and allow the battery to drain more to zero % so giving a bit more range. I know Tesla have different battery sizes in the exact same cars, so the extra buffer can vary depending on the exact pack installed the day it was built with many standard range cars often having long range batteries, but software restricted. The only real way to know would be an independent discharge test and measure the amount of energy supplied before the battery management system shuts off the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Comer1

I assume a dealer has a way to accurately measure it when you bring your car in for trade?

That's a good one....

Vast majority of dealers quite in the dark on EVs. There is specific Apps to determine battery degradation eg scanmytesla.

What make and model have you in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,508 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah there's another couple of Leaf owners. Only spoke to one, he has 30kw car and his works fine on the newer chargers. Funnily enough he said he had issues using the older charger.

I will give it another go, and actually sit in the car to see if I notice anything on the charger display. Outside of that, always got the old one to use since I know it works.

• Advertisement

What charger is in your Leaf and in his Leaf... are they 3.6kW or 6.6kW?

Maybe also try his cable on your car on the new charge points.

Advertisement