Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Of course they found no evidence, it was destroyed!

You'd have to be particular bad at covering your tracks to be caught out by GSOC, who cannot question retired Gardai.

35 pages were removed from the evidence book, if this is typical in straightforward cases, why would GSOC have considered referring it to DPP?

In its report, GSOC says it is most concerned with pages that went missing from the original garda ‘jobs book’ while in the custody of gardaí.

The commission said it had considered whether the interference with the Jobs Book warranted sending a file to the DPP, but they had chosen not to on the basis that one of the main gardaí who had responsibility for the documents had since died.

There was no explanation offered by gardaí for the missing pages. GSOC concluded that there was “a lack of administration and management of the incident room” during the murder investigation, but found no evidence of malpractice or corruption.

In the report, GSOC says its deliberations had been hampered by the refusal of a number of garda detectives involved in the case to co-operate with them and the fact that some of the gardaí who investigated the murder have since retired or died... It is interesting to note that a number of members of the guards were able to shield behind their retirement as a way of refusing to co-operate.”

Also speaking to this paper, Mr Bailey’s solicitor, Frank Buttimer, said: “The reality of the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission as an organisation is that it is powerless, in any meaningful way, to carry out any form of proper investigation into garda corruption."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30859712.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mossie

If the man died in 2001 he was probably quiet old and frail just four years earlier?

Not necessarily. He could have developed a terminal illness in the course of those 4 years and died as a result but been in prime health in 1997. The whole scenario is unlikely anyway but there's no reason to suppose the (probably mythical) Guard would have been frail 4 years before his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Are you sure Bill wasn't the one projecting and Ian accusing him?

Or was it perhaps the simplest explanation. Two people after a night in the pub, a few more drinks at a house party. After a night of baiting in the pub and Bill repeating rumours that were being spread in the area, Ian giving a sarcastic retort to Bill saying he (Bill) did it.

How anyone can construe it as a confession baffles me.

It seems there's only one type of projection going on - convolutedly twisting the most innocent of events in the most negative way remotely possible to fit a preconceived guilt.

After all if Ian Bailey wasn't locked up immediately there was sure to be a string of similar murders and soon there wouldn't be a woman left alive in West Cork.

Bailey is a "violent madman" apparently, he is so good as covering his tracks he has murdered 6 other women and left no trace. Destroyed all evidence the person existed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

The High Court could subpoena any of the gardai involved, retired or not. At least two of the detectives I've seen mentioned in the proceedings were retired but still had to give evidence in the High Court. So that criticism no longer applies to the case as a whole.

When you put the statement in its full context you can see why Bill Fuller considered it to be IB talking about himself. After IB said this Bill Fuller says he said 'that sounds like something you would do' and IB replied with something like 'that's how I met Jules, but she let me in'.

Bill Fuller would have no way of knowing that Sophie was hit on the back of the head as she tried to escape either, and he never previously claimed to have seen her in the Spar himself that day. In one of the statements, which JT says she did not actually say, the garda report says JT said IB had told her he had seen Sophie in Spar that weekend. Ceri Williams gave a statement that she saw Sophie coming out of Spar and IB was across the road. The gardai just joined the dots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"You saw her in Spar and she turned you on, walking up the aisle with her tight arse. You went to see what you could get and she was not interested."

When I first saw this statement I was convinced it was Bailey repeating to Fuller what the interrogating Garda said to Bailey,

and Fuller mishearing or misinterpreting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Don't know if your naive or deliberately being silly. There is a history of AGS corruption. The recent Dublin gangwar led to 3- 4 corrupt AGS members being unearthed. One committed suicide in a police station before being found out.

There is police corruption in almost every country. Why do you think Drew Harris was appointed in the first place??

Even with this case from what we know we've evidence being stolen from evidence room and being used to bribe a member of the public. We've tampering with case files removal of witness reports, loss of evidence. This isn't negligent either as its selective. This is covering up.

I suspect Jim Sheridans season two will go this route and cerain members of AGS will be begging for impunity. As detective Dwyer said himself "there's no timelimit on justice".

i would be happy to but don't know how to edit or delete the quote or delete the post with the quote?

• Advertisement

Fyi you cant delete and can only edit it for first 24 hours.

IB's first arrest was after this though, I think it was only a few days afterwards. Bill Fuller said he went to talk to IB to tell him there were rumours going around that he might be a suspect. His arrest and release were publicised so there would be no reason for Bill Fuller to got to Ian to tell him there were rumours after he was actually arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Sophie's son on the Late Late tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Not surprised hes on and nobody on from Baileys side, wouldn't expect anything better from that cretin Tubirdy. Expecting to see another Netflix style hatchet job on Bailey while simultaneously completely disregarding our own legal system & endorsing the French kangaroo court. Might as well get Detective Dwyer on too to say how superbly the Gards handled the investigation.

Expecting Tubs to wring every last drop of emotion out of this. Even though the murder was 25 years ago, and lets be honest, Mum wasn't exactly around all the time. She wasn't even planning to spend Christmas with him.

He was spending Christmas with his father, it's not like she abandoned him.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CowgirlBoots

Do you have children? Are you divorced? Usually, in such situations, the years alternate - one Xmas with Mom, the next with Dad. No reason to disparage Sophie in this manner.

Not disparaging her, just being realistic. I suspect she would have been the first to stand up and say she was no saint. As for her son, I have every sympathy for a child who loses a parent, especially in such circumstances, but he is not a child anymore and he can process logic as well as anyone else. Let's wait and see what he is trying to achieve with this interview tonight.

More unlikely than a drunk bailey walking an hour each way in the dark, removing every trace of dna, fingerprints from the scene, blood off himself, then cheerfully waking Jules with a cuppa after his perfect crime?

Right-O then.

You suspect? Were you a personal friend or are you just randomly hypothesizing?

• Advertisement

Do I have kids? Am I divorced? Was I a personal friend? Keep walking CowgirlBoots, I'm taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

No intention of changing my writing.. Ignore my posts!

Do you not see the irony of the term 'The Babe Farrell' ??

Let me enlighten you..

The star witness in this which hunt was a married woman of five. During the daylight hours she ran a retail business, and one would assume the maintaining of a house, Husband and five children would also consume her hours after the working day was done..

Instead of that, we are led to believe that she was our running around the beaches of West Cork at the dead of night with some squeeze from Longford...

I have no doubt that a rendezvous with the Babe Farrell on a winters night, is enough to send any mans testosterone levels through the roof.....

But..... We are talking about a man's freedom here, and the spot light being turned away from the real murderer.

Although she would never reveal who the mystery man was, and he would have been able to confirm the sighting of the man in black by the bridge, no action was ever taken against her..?

She is the only person that ever placed Bailey in the vicinity of the murder - Does that not tell you how important her testimony was at the time??

Instead of cooperating 110% with the investigation, she threw a spanner in the works, and basically collapsed the whole investigation by her imaginary Walter Mitty horsesh*t about romancing around the murder scene with the invisible man.

She has done diddley squat to help the Garda Siochana investigation. She has lied profusely from the first time she picked up a phone and used an alias name. The amount of false statements she has gave is outrageous... She has single handedly warped an entire murder operation from the get go.

She wanted to feel important.. Wanted the attention.. Wanted too be seen as an object of desire....

Well she certainly ticked a lot of them boxes before her world crashed and burned around her.

But do not fear, I will still address her as her alter-ego would have liked

The Babe Farrell.

OMG, you're way off. But thanks for the laugh.

I think you are reading more into my comment than is there. I don't recall comparing the likelihood of this Guard doing it or Bailey doing it (in fact I tend more to thinking he (Bailey) didn't do it) but at present the mystery Garda theory is pure conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Caquas

Jaysus, you’ve cracked it! Any decent man within a 10 mile radius would have been tucked up safely in bed, getting ready for Santa the following night. And that scratch on his face is a sure sign of guilt. One look at IB and the jury must see he’s a violent madman. Who needs forensics and witnesses when you have brilliant insights into his madness? If we dunked him a few times, would he float?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

Read my post again.....I never mentioned corruption. I said coverup. There is a difference. The only good conspiracy is a conspiracy of one. The idea that there are a number of Gardaí covering for one of their own is nonsense. So is the unsubstantiated story of the blue Fiesta from Gemma Wotsername. Furthermore, Farrell didn`t have a cop in her car on the night because if she did she would have said so by now, particularly as she now seems to be working at getting Bailey off the hook.

He had about seven hours to do all that. He may well have left some DNA. Where would you expect to find his fingerprints? The bloodstained clothes and shoes were burned in the Xmas fire.

• Advertisement

Your just quoting a load of conjecture. There's no proof for any of that. It's the same rubbish as the famous coat story. Behave.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement