Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year olds able to change gender in Scotland

Options

Comments

I said vague and it gives you the ability to label anyone who doesn't agree with your stance on trans issues.

It does seem that people come with lots of bluster with their 2015 arguments, but when questioned, just go back to gaslighting, and wait a few days before coming back with the 2015 bluster again.

You haven't countered anything I've said. As for the part bolded above, are you sure that's about me since I haven't insulted/abused you at all, and I've been constant on this thread while you've been posting. I haven't disappeared at all. So... Still I am getting the feeling that your application of double standards extends beyond the trans debate.. and no, that's not an insult or an attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You appear to be using a rather unique understanding of gaslighting that I’m not familiar with? As I understand the term, it is the idea of making someone question their reality, and I can’t think of many better examples than trying to coerce someone to behave as though they believe something they don’t -

Gaslighting is a colloquialism that is loosely defined as making someone question their reality.

The term is also used, informally, to describe someone (a "gaslighter") who persistently puts forth a false narrative which leads another person (or a group of people) to doubt their own perceptions to the extent that they become disoriented and distressed. This dynamic is generally only possible when the audience is vulnerable such as in unequal power relationships or when the audience is fearful of the losses associated with challenging the false narrative. Gaslighting is not necessarily malicious or intentional, although in some cases it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Morgans

Where have I changed the goalposts? You say continually...should be easy to find. You are just weaseling out of a debate that you are losing. I accept your surrender.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

As an aside, people often disparagingly use the word "gaslighting", as if it were some sort of moral evil. When used correctly, it's a fantastically pragmatic tool to get what you want. It has gained too much of a bad reputation in recent years, often because of extreme examples dragged onto the conversational table.

You do not have to support my ideology. As a basic human right, you should be allowed do what you like to make you happy, as long as it doesnt interfere with another's ability to pursue their happiness.

Why should trans people need to seek your approval? Why is it something that you have that they need from you? Who gave you that power?

Again, fourth time, you do not need to adhere to the nation of islam's tenet to respect Mohammad Ali's desire to change his name. By refusing to call him by his identified name, you are denying his right. You are being the child and stomping your feet. And it isnt whether you have justified grievances with the Nation of Islam, what it espouses, and its tenets. Its a respect given to the individual that thats how he lives his life. Anyone who is deciding to prevent that is being an asshole. If it coming from a position of denying trans people their rights, then its transphobic. You can do the sums after that.

• Advertisement

That’s not the whole point of rights at all, it is the point of one right - the right to be protected from unlawful discrimination.

I don’t think you’re advocating that anyone be deprived of the right to freedom of thought, but rather you appear to be arguing that anyone should have the right to compel other people to behave in a manner which is inconsistent with their own beliefs, which isn’t a right that anyone actually has, and certainly it’s not a right that people who are transgender are entitled to without granting that same right to everyone in society.

However, because the point of human rights is recognising human dignity and respect for all humans equally, this means that “trans rights” and whatever you wish to assign to that idea, are not more important than recognition of human rights.

I don't think you are deliberately trying to make anyone's life harder.

If gender is so indefinable and open to so much interpretation, as you state, then I would think the only person who can say for certain what their gender is, is the individual themselves.

Despite that belief, you skip that and force one of two options on the person. Its why their is a conflict.

I don’t think you’re advocating that anyone be deprived of the right to freedom of thought, but rather you appear to be arguing that anyone should have the right to compel other people to behave in a manner which is inconsistent with their own beliefs, which isn’t a right that anyone actually has, and certainly it’s not a right that people who are transgender are entitled to without granting that same right to everyone in society.

Can you not have so many clauses in your statements?

So, do people have a right to be called by the name they wish to be called by? And referred to the pronouns they wish to use? I'd certainly wouldn't agree with any trans activitists that demand non trans individuals to go by cis, if that is what you are talking about. I don't think that what is being wished for.

And I do not believe trans rights are more important than human rights.

I repeat. You have failed to counter any of my points. So, why would I be losing any kind of debate?

As for showing where you've shifted goalposts, a read over the last page can easily display a variety of efforts.

Now.. weaseling. I haven't used any offensive, dismissive or derogatory language when debating with you.. but you have not extended the same respect to me. Which is a sure sign of someone who is losing track of a debate, and wants to turn to emotional triggers rather than deal with what's written.

So.. I'll leave it at that. Scroll back, and deal with the points I made earlier (without further deflections or snide remarks).. or we can end it here. Simple enough.

You are slightly misrepresenting me there, although I admit I probably phrased it clumsily.

I believe gender, as it is today, is an absolute nonsense. It has been hijacked by egomaniacal idiots who desperately want to be individual.

I do believe that there are people who genuinely believe they were born the wrong sex and they deserve help, and while they are a relatively tiny number or people, they do exist and deserve to be helped. As to what that help is? I'm unsure.

Unfortunately, they are lumped in with polymorphicgendered, agendered, nonbinary otherkins, who think they should have, no, DESERVE, to be referred to as whatever they choose and by not doing so, their "reality" is being compromised.

It is this tomfoolery that I want kept away from children.

I would not teach a child their gender or impose one on them. Because if gender can be anything, then quite frankly it means nothing.

A child should know the difference between a boy and a girl. They do not need to be told that they can change by virtue of belief.

• Advertisement

Precisely, because otherwise you're teaching children that evidence and reality can be thrown to one side whenever they want something / want to believe in something.

Your first point I think we agree on as it applies to anyone, that’s just standard stuff.

But then you go on to ask why do trans people need to seek my approval which isn’t something I’ve ever argued? They don’t need to seek my approval, and the point I was making is that I don’t need theirs either. If anyone’s idea of respect is predicated upon only respect for those people who agree with them, then that’s not respect, it’s coercion.

I’m not denying anyone their rights at all, they’re perfectly free to refer to themselves however they wish. Nobody has the right to compel anyone to agree with them or to support them or anything else. I’m not interested in denying anyone their rights, regardless of whether they’re transgender or not.

It really is simple stuff, but you appear to think the same standards which apply to everyone, don’t also apply to you. Whatever happened to -

You do not have to support my ideology. As a basic human right, you should be allowed do what you like to make you happy, as long as it doesnt interfere with another's ability to pursue their happiness.

It doesn’t matter that you contradict yourself and think it only applies to people who live their lives according to your standards, because human rights law recognises that the same standard applies to everyone.

It comes down to necessity.

I don't walk around Ireland calling myself "male". I just live the way I do, and adhere to whatever social expressions I choose. My biological sex happens to be male.

But if you have someone who doesn't identify with masculinity, all that makes them is a non-masculine male. They are still male, they just don't conform to the social stereotypes associated with masculinity.

Why is a label required to describe non-masculine male? It's entirely redundant.

By all means live and dress and express yourself as you want, but why do you need a label to describe this? The same principle applies to pronouns.

It's totally unnecessary.

And all the above does is confuse children. It confuses adults, too, no doubt, which is why we should warrant added caution when trying to introduce this ideology (and that's what it is) to children.

Teach children biology and the two sexes. Leave personal choices regarding gender identity, including choosing to live as the opposite sex, until a much later date.

The answer to your question is yes, they do. However the point I am making is that nobody has the right to compel anyone to do so. Everyone also has the right to tell someone who tries to compel them to do something they don’t want to do, to jog on, and let that be the end of it.

However, if a person persists in demanding that another person adhere to their beliefs, then that can constitute harassment.

Have you changed your mind on trans- or something?

I recall an earlier thread where you were very vocal in favour of trans- and gender identity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

You obviously don't understand the meaning of discussing something with a child. Respecting a child's wishes is not the same as discussing something with them.

Nope, I haven’t changed my mind on trans- anything. If you remember the framework I work from is human rights, which is much broader than just trans- anything. It’s why I don’t bother arguing with the “gender is a spectrum” stuff either - people are perfectly entitled to hold and to express that belief. I don’t have to legitimise it by entertaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

This is where the topic gets interesting/confusing for me.

In the UK (where I live, I appreciate most on here are in Ireland) the Maya Forstater judgement a few months ago ruled that Gender Critical beliefs were protected in law. However, the judge was keen to point out that this didn't give a licence for anyone to misgender others in the workplace with impunity and that employment tribunals would decide on a case-by-case basis of where the line goes in terms of what constitutes discrimination or harassment (if I interpret the judgement correctly, which I may not have: point b top of page 4 here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/60c1cce1d3bf7f4bd9814e39/Maya_Forstater_v_CGD_Europe_and_others_UKEAT0105_20_JOJ.pdf)

So it would seem that, in the UK at least, people are somewhat compelled to toe the line in a workplace setting, if they want to keep themselves out of trouble. I'd think this is quite easily avoided since it's easy enough to just refer to someone by name without any mention of sex, gender or pronouns. Not that I want people to be getting into barneys about this in work, but I would be curious as to how these employment tribunals would shake out if and when they take place.

Open to correction on any of the above - you seem to have quite a good knowledge of the law and have always appreciated your input on that side of this topic. It's greatly amused me seeing you labelled as some kind of gender ideology fanatic in previous threads because of your steadfast dedication to the legal sides of these arguments, when I'm fairly sure you've told me in other threads you're both a conservative and quite religious.

Challenging gender stereotypes is a bad thing now?

This whole thread has featured anti-trans posters telling us that TRAs entire belief system is based on gender stereotypes and gender stereotypes are bad. (of course they misunderstood TRAs beliefs but that's another point).

Now apparently books challenging gender stereotypes are bad.

So gender stereotypes are bad but we mustn't challenge them.

Ok...

Your definition of transphobe is perfectly reasonable and completely aligns with how the majority now use "...phobia".

But it's not surprising that it offends the people it describes.

• Advertisement

Um there's been always been labels that describes non masculine males.

The most common current one is "camp".

But nobody is saying that camp men are trans.

Nobody is saying that non-masciline men are trans.

I have clearly outlined my stance on the subject.

Would you consider me transphobic?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I didn't say anything with certainty, you did.

I simply asked you to explain your claim that it was "basic biology" that trans people exist: so I'm asking you what basic biology, exactly?

For instance, it's basic biology that people with Down syndrome exist, but not that Irish people do: you can't explain using biology why someone is Irish. That doesn't mean Irish people don't exist, but rather that nationality is not a physical characteristic, more a social and legal one.

I'm racist. I believe that white people by their biology are better than black and other races. I believe skull sizes allows for their greater brain development and superior intellect as a consequence. Civil rights activism demanding that blacks are viewed as equal is transgressing my basic human right as someone with an proud racist ideology.

The civil rights activists even are exceeding the most basic human rights as they are compelling me to buy into their ideology.

That is your position re trans rights?

No, that appears to be your position regarding race and civil and human rights and activism? I don’t care much for the idea of “trans rights”, or what that means to anyone else who considers whatever views they hold to represent “trans rights”.

Could get into all sorts of dodgy territory with such an ill-defined concept where anything can be perceived and advocated for as a right which should be recognised in law as opposed to being confined to the weirder corners of the Internet where it actually belongs -

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Yeah no ,

You were wrong and no matter how you try to twist and turn ,it doesn't change that fact.

I'm ignoring your replies from this point ...

Gender identity is about stereotypes and norms re: masculinity and femininity.

That kind of deliberate obfuscation is infuriating.

And 'camp' proves my point. You don't need a special gender label. We already have personality descriptions such as 'camp' and 'butch' and 'tomboy'.

No. It clearly is not my view on civil or trans rights. You are just pettyfogging and not answering the question. I'll rephrase.

I'm racist. I believe that white people by their biology are better than black and other races. I believe skull sizes allows for their greater brain development and superior intellect as a consequence. Civil rights activism demanding that blacks are viewed as equal is transgressing my basic human right as someone with an proud racist ideology.

The civil rights activists even are exceeding the most basic human rights as they are compelling me to buy into their ideology.

How does the above differ from your contention that those advocating for trans rights are compelling you to buy into their ideology?

Perhaps because there is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that racial superiority is arrant bunkum.

And there's quite a lot of evidence that biological men competing in biological women's Olympic divisions is unfair and objectively wrong.

• Advertisement

Depends upon the specifics of each case really. In Maya Forstaters case she wasn’t being unfairly discriminated against by her employer who based their reasoning on the fact that she was creating a hostile work environment. In any case employers are responsible for preventing bullying and harassment in the workplace -

It’s also easily avoided by making it clear to the person that one does not subscribe to their ideology or share their philosophy or beliefs. It’s up to an employer in those circumstances to determine the next course of action, and depending upon the outcome of that action, an employee has the choice of whether or not they wish to pursue a case against their employer on the basis that they are being treated less favourably or unfairly in those circumstances.

I wouldn’t encourage anyone to interfere with the rights of anyone else to be provided with a safe working environment and so on, but every employee has that right, not just particular employees on the basis of any particular characteristics or philosophical beliefs. The judgement in the Forstater appeal also means that anyone who does not share or subscribe to or hold gender critical beliefs is also protected from unlawful discrimination on the same basis.

The decision with regard to whether or not ethical veganism is a philosophical belief worthy of protection is a far more interesting case IMO than the decision in the Forstater case tbh -

Advertisement