Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink Chimney Install.

Options
  • 02-09-2021 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all.

Just posting this image of my install as it may help someone in the future who is looking to install Starlink on a chimney.

Any questions just shout.

Regards

James.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Wow. Fair play to you. This will no doubt be very helpful for people going forward as more people sign up.

One question though, how well do you think it will hold up in typical Irish stormy weather?

I remember watching the Linus Tech Tips video when they first started sending them out for testing, and I wasn't sure how well it would hold up in our climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tubbritt

Personally, I think it’s engineered far beyond my best expectations. I don’t have a single worry with it to be honest. There’s a very good teardown video on youtube actually that’s worth looking at. It gives great insight into just how well built the dish actually is.

Given it’s a motorised dish and the satellites fly over very fast, people maybe expecting to see it move while satellites pass over, but that’s not the case at all. I haven’t seen ours move once since I installed it.

All in all, I think for Irish weather it's perfect. That being said "Winter is coming".. lol.. Oh I miss Game of Thrones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭circadian

I haven't seen the LTT video on it but if it works in the Lower Mainland then I'd expect it to work in Ireland since the weather conditions are similar enough although Ireland does tend to get a bit more wind)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

How have you brought the cable in to the house? Is it running down the slates, over the gutter and in through the soffit?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Great to hear that. It's fantastic that people denied decent broadband access will now have an option. I hope it works out well for you.

Can I ask, are you in an area with poor broadband or did you decide to get Starlink rather than Eir/Vodafone etc? What sort of speed do you get from it?

• Advertisement

I lifted up a small part of the lead skirt around the base of the chimney. This allows you to get past the roof tiles without having to break any. I popped a hole in the felt and passed the cable straight through directly down into our attic. Pretty simply actually.

Thank you. Fingers crossed here too, but so far it’s light years better than everything else we have ever had.

Yes we are in an area of poor service for any other options. There’s no fibre, or old school copper options even suitable. Eir did attempt a copper install but the engineer refused to complete the work because he was unable to complete the work due to bad signal. We are in an intervention area, but that could be years waiting to see fibre pass our door.

Other options we have used over the years, 4G Networks and Imagine Broadband which we just left.

The white pod shaped device on the right is a 4G Antenna. Got quite a few years out of that one on the Three network. Speeds were “ok-ish” to manage during the day time, in the evenings it was a struggle but it worked. The biggest problem was the monthly bandwidth limits at the time were impossible to deal with. Our Kids caused us to go over our monthly limit a few times and we got badly stung a few times for nasty bills. The per MB charge on three jumps so much that it’s like being mugged by someone you know. Something as simple as the child's game console downloading a game update at the wrong time of the month could cost you a few hundred Euro in bandwidth fees.

In around this time Imagine Broadband became available so we jumped over to that. (white box on the left). To be fair that worked great right up until the first Covid lockdown hit. Imagine posted signs everywhere here and I can only assume, over subscribed people to the network. The quality of service plummeted to the point where come 9 pm, your speeds dropped below 1meg every single evening without fail. It was so bad nobody in the house would use it and we would start using our mobile’s, even tethered. Truly a horrible service in the end.

Working from home, this simply couldn’t continue so I paid the deposit for Starlink the moment they started taking deposits from Ireland. Think it was back in very early February. And... months later, we got the email saying we could order a dish.

With nothing to loose given Imagine Broadband had gotten to horrendous levels of poor quality, I paid for the Starlink Kit and a few days later it arrives. My very first speed test standing in my garden, 327 down, 69 up...lol... We have had it 6 weeks now and it’s been flawless. The best service we have ever had here by miles.

For the first time ever it feels like we have a real professional premium broadband service

Speeds are consistently very high. Hard to give an average, but I’d guess in around 250 down / 40 up. That being said, it quite often way faster than that in the 300+ down 70 up range. Fastest I’ve ever got was 417 up / 79 down. Haven’t seen many of those though.

Rare slow speeds, the worst 120 down 10 up, but you could try again 10 seconds later and you would be back up way into the 200+ down range. It’s almost like the satellite has almost fully passed over, and starlink is about to jump to the next one coming in.

I zoom call a lot for work and stability has been flawless. It's funny really as the people I’m talking to often apologies about their broadband connection being so bad. ..lol...

Starlink from the Kilmeaden area, Co. Waterford.

Ran a few test, but this kinda where it's hovering right now for 11:40am

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

consistent with what i'm getting in rural co. limerick. Thanks for teh chimney diagram, that will come in very useful when i decide to put mine up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Tow

Is there any particular reason you put it up on the chimney? For most people it would be easier to install and maintain if installed at a lower location.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

Technically you can install it anywhere you like so long as there’s clear line of sight across the exact path the satellites take across the sky. The starlink app allows you to see this path with your phone.

I’ve no problem going up a ladder, so for the best uninterrupted internet connection, the side of the chimney simply works best for me. The dish has a 100% clear view across it’s entire path.

Also, being able to run the cable into the house under the lead flashing of the chimney without having to drill anything is a massive bonus. If you do have to run the cable through a wall, you could be looking at trying to drill a 20 mm hole as the connection on the integrated cable is pretty big.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Great thread, really helpful! I signed up in Feb but waiting to get confirmation I can order the dish, am just up the road from you. If you see a cable tethered to your satellite running across the fields and cows off into the distance, ignore it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Make sure you have a long enough loop of cable coming down into a long U shape before you go in under the lead. Water can make its way vertical up a cable relatively easy with any height above the cable. A longer loop prevents this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

Impressed with the latency for a sat service with a ping time of 39ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Good work, few things of concern would be that the pole doesn't appear to be galvanized and that looks to be at least one working chimney pot, would be interesting how the heat particularly in winter would affect it , apart from that good job

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Messer1

Here is my chimney installation. Paid €120 to get it installed. The 2 white wires are nothing to do with the antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

thanks to OP for post

ordered mine tonight as my cell went live today

will be a gable end wall bracket install which i will do myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Tubbritt quick question for when you said to pop the starlink quick release button. Had you any way of doing this in particular or was it just a bit of force to pull it out so another pole could be pushed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Insert just pulls out. Its a press fit.

compress the 2 x buttons and the insert will pull out of the pole

Hey @Tubbritt, how did you fit the pole? I got the same one from Screwfix but it has a kind of indentation on each side that means it doesn't connect to the Starlink pole. Presumably, in your case, the wider diameter of the pole fits around the Starlink pole with a bolt to secure? Did you have to apply much pressure?

• Advertisement

Trying to remember exactly but, I think the two sections of the screwfix pole were different. One section has a crimp on both ends, and the other has a crimp only on one end. That's the section I used. The Starlink dish pole fits perfectly down into the screwfix pole (the end with no crimp) and the hole I drilled is to just secure the connection. I did tighten it just enough that it ever so slightly bends the screwfix pole for a very secure solid fit.

You can also cut the crimped section off if you like. The key point is that the inside diameter of the screwfix pole is a perfect match for the external diameter of the starlink dish pole.

Hope that helps.

James.

Thank you very much! Jaysus, it never even occurred to cut the pole! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Crumble50

Hi, Just ordered mine 😀 can i ask are you still getting similar speeds?

thanks

Yes, speeds are at this point pretty much always 300+ for me down, and 40 up. Here's a speed test from right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Crumble50

Hi thanks for the update.. impressive speeds.. I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭pms7

Hi,

saw the following on a site about chimney mountings

Drill fixings should never be used on chimneys stacks. This is because the vast majority of chimneys are a single skin brick and together with wind-loading placed on the aerial or satellite dish is likely to rip the bricks clean from the chimney.

What do people think, is it an issue? There are proper chimney brackets available that go around the chimney

I don't imagine the Starlink really catches the wind much with it's horizontal orientation.

Advertisement