Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus tables conditional pay offer of 12%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭drivingmissdaisy

We know exactly what it is, and it was totally rejected.

We where told its not up for negotiation "Take it or leave it" so we left it, and surprise , surprise new talks in October to try get a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

The whole "one big roster" thing is baffling. With such a diverse workforce in DB nowadays, no sensible person could possibly think that was a good idea. Staff retention in DB is poor enough already without forcing everyone onto a single one-size-fits-all roster. I wonder is it just a bargaining ploy so they can ultimately get the drivers to agree to something along the lines of what GAI already have (a load of different rosters - mostly working different groups of routes based either on proximity to a general location (Blackrock, Liffey Valley, Blanch, Bray, Dun Laoghaire, the Airport, etc) or the type of duty (splits, bogies or whatever you want to call them).

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

5h45? Must be without walking time to the garage. Anyway, not gonna fight over fifteen minutes.

Still, if that's actually the case, then the entire proposal document is self-contradicting, or simply not clarified enough, or simply not thought through enough. Pages 17, 19, 25, and 26 more or less support my understanding, but at this point I actually want to see the proposed material properly.

It would appear that only the most intransigent of the DB haters can’t see these proposals are ridiculous.

The media will be pushing lies about greedy drivers wanting more money, totally ignoring the fact that the deal was rejected because of the roster changes.

There are currently several different rosters in DB and drivers move to the one that best suits their life, and in fact have made life decisions based on the rosters they are on.

I will try explaining in the simplest terms so all can understand the issue that drivers have with these proposed changes

4 day drivers work only late duties, start at 15:00 and finish at 00:00, either Thur-Sun or Fri- Mon, so many of these drivers mind the children while the wife works M-F,  an example is a drivers wife who works from 0800 to 1700 on the day the driver does not work and on the Thurs/Fri/Mon if the driver is at work she works from 0800 to 1300 and comes home and driver goes off to work, do you see the problem here if the new roster system come in?

We have M-F drivers and Bogey drivers M-F, and many have a spouse who works the weekend, go on guess who minds the children at the weekend?

We have the 84 based out in Bray, all the marked in drivers are on that route because it suits them, not worth a curse to a driver commuting up from Carlow now is it? But the new roster will see all drivers in Donnybrook doing the 84.   

The 5 over 7 drivers don’t do bogies and many have moved house back to where the wife is from (Gorey, Carlow, Mullingar and so on) they currently work 3 shifts, 0600-1500, 1200-2100 and 1500-0000 they have decided that the commute and the total time away from home is okay, but not happy with the prospect of doing a 0600-1800 12-hour bogey.

If you think these proposed roster changes are Okay, there is zero point in continuing to debate with you as I can guarantee you would not be happy with them in your job and are just a anti DB zealot.

Why would drivers vote to change their work contract to worse terms? I doubt any of the haters will be able to answer this

It cant be any clearer, no more bogey, no more M-F, no more 4 day week, just ONE big roster with all drivers working every single duty in the depot on every route.

That its, no other reason for the total rejection, posters trying to come up with a convoluted anti DB reason for the rejection where none exists.

Hand on heart none of you who post here and actually work can say you would have no problems with these changes.

Justify the changes if you can and let us know why you think they are okay and why you would be happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

To be honest with you this whole thing is a matter between you and your employer, and personally speaking I don't even see why the document was uploaded here - I wouldn't expect to discuss my conditions of employment in detail openly on a public forum.

You aren't going to solve it here and expecting people to offer informed opinions on something like this is nonsensical. Most people do not have any idea of how the business of public transport operates.

The only place it will be solved is in the industrial relations negotiation process.

What people are however entitled to care about is that the service is expanded with longer operating hours, more 24 hour routes, and that as taxpayers, they are getting value for money for the PSO subsidy through the service being operated efficiently.

But expecting people to comment in detail on rostering is daft. That's for your representatives and management to solve in the talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭StreetLight

There have been demands here for the offending document to be uploaded so that the problems drivers have with it can be explained.

Even after that, some anti-transport worker observers still aren't happy. They are only exposing themselves as obvious trolls and then the 'ignore' option becomes useful.

Post edited by StreetLight on

Well as I said - personally speaking I think that the issues drivers have with it are best discussed in negotiations with the company.

No industrial dispute is ever solved on public forums.

Unless people work in a company, they are never going to have a clear understanding of the issues involved in any dispute, but rather have their own notions, and that’s been present here too.

But at the same time these boards have been full of posts over the years by a small minority of drivers which have painted a very one-sided picture of things.

In any dispute and negotiations, there are two sides, and the truth is generally somewhere in between.

As I say, personally I think it’s best left to the talks to hammer some form of compromise out that can deliver an efficient expanded bus service that meets customer needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Wasn't going to post but here I am now anyways

Yes I worked in Dublin bus many years ago and I bailed very shortly after joining.

I think the issue with the company now is very much that it's just not sustainable anymore going forward and change is very much needed to make it viable to operate upcoming routes/expansion. The company aren't making any profit anymore, and with airlink, nitelink etc gone, go ahead coming in and many many other operators around the country, I hope drivers start to see the writing on the wall, that it's going to come to an end at some stage.

I saw people on marked in status who think they have a handy number, they don't. They are delusional, the roster is crap for work life balance as is, rest time between work quite bad and shift work not being great as is.

The spare drivers do have it worse too. Was spare myself and I tried hard to stay on the 4 day week and so a rest day every week but I got fucked off it and well I didn't last long after that.

The new roster system I don't think is unfair, everyone on one big roster all work spread equally. Just because a driver is there 15 year, doesn't give them an entitlement to a handy duty and to hell with the new drivers as if they are above them. You're all the same, drivers in the same job doing the same work, get over it.

If there is a genuine reason not to be on particular route because of an attack etc then I'm very sure the company will make accommodations.

There is a bigger picture going on and I still get word of mouth of NTA plans from different sources and yes I do very much believe a lot more of Dublin bus routes won't be given back in the near future so I do agree that turning down reasonable offers over selfishness will have very negative results.

I'm very much of the opinion too that if there is any official line on strike action that the public won't be in any way supportive.

The commute argument is invalid, everybody commutes one way or another, if you live in Dundalk and drive a bus in Dublin well you'd want to reassess your personal situation and if that commute and shift work isn't working then a job closer to home will probably be a better option. And hell, even if it did pay a bit less you'll save on fuel and vehicle maintenance.

Having being there myself and gone, I do agree it's very much about you satisfaction and if the job is causing stress, unhappiness, marriages to break up, no time to see kids etc then again you as a driver need to take a step back and reassess your overall situation.

All I'll say is I left the job years ago and I haven't looked back and it just faddams me how drivers there are so blind to the outside world, other jobs etc and what they are missing. I feel sorry for drivers in that respect because that's not a life.

Anyway there's my 2c.

TL/DR :

1) unhappy in home/work = move

2) Pay deal will be got one way or another weather you like it or not with agreements you won't like, if you are not happy with pay deal then see point one.

A logical, well written, commonsense and fair response to some of the nonsense posted by drivers here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

realistically the deal has been rejected, it is gone and will not be coming back and the drivers will not be accepting it, that should be clear given a 97% rejection rate, which is huge.

drivers aren't just going to move rather then try to keep the terms they have, if all drivers decided to simply move on we would be up the creak, so that is just not realistic.

a very vocal minority of the public never support transport strike action anyway, either way it will do nothing as the only way to solve disputes and end strike action is talks, not bashing a keyboard.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

As with any negotiations , the first offer is never agreed on, that's fine and that's regardless of what it is, but my point will be when it comes to the second or even the third offer you'll have to accept it, threatening strike won't do any favours at all. And that second or third offer that is accepted won't be pretty either, the company are going to get a lot this time round weather the drivers like it or not.

This time it's not going to be a small minority, if there is a strike and people have been cooked up for over a year and want to get back to normality and the offices etc then a bus strike will push everyone over the edge. When you see the country wants to get back to normal and the country wants to recover with everyone back at work, people out shopping etc again, tourism back open, a bus strike will bring most of that to a halt again and greatly effect any recovery. And the vast majority of the public will lose all respect for the drivers in this case.

I'm not here to driver bash or company bash either btw, I can see both sides of the coin, some points like the route blocking I personally think drivers need to get over, other points there too I could comment on either way but there's no point. The fact of it all is change is coming, it will be big and it won't be very favourable to the driver. And I'll say again if these changes make you unhappy in your job or cause hardship / stress etc then rather than spend the rest of your days moaning about it, do something about. I'd ask each driver to look at their life situations and fully reassess what they are doing , where they are living, working for Dublin bus and really explore any other possible options , because as much as drivers will hate to here this, it'll be gone before you know it.

Back in 2014/2015 when this was all being discussed the line I kept hearing from senior drivers was "it'll never happen, they have been talking about privatization for years" . Well sorry but open you eyes , it is happening right in front of you, bus Eireann crumbling away to nothing, routes from Dublin bus gone for the last few years and more to come in the near future, private operators getting new PSO licences around Dublin and the country when before these would've been handed to Dublin bus or bus Eireann are being handed to private operators. You don't need to be intelligent to see what's going on there.

Again I give my sympathy to a certain extent to drivers , having been there myself, yes it might not be the job you signed up for and it's changing but moaning won't fix it. Crying over a marked in status on a particular route is an old outdated system that no longer works and it needs updating.

realistically any changes will absolutely be almost favourible to the drivers, because the reality ultimately is that no matter who operates the routes, terms and conditions will not be allowed to go down, any other operators will in the end have similar conditions to db, look at transdev at the luas operation, look at GAI.

not perfect just like db, but seem to have reasonable enough terms because they want the staff, and it was expected that terms would be crap at those operators.

nobody gets 100% of what they want, i have no doubt db drivers are aware of that and don't expect it, but a rostering system that is working well being replaced with a rubbish one that puts the company at risk of potentially losing staff is just not ever going to get support from the staff there, and saying they should just move on is not realistic and doesn't ultimately solve the issue, just creates more.

i don't know who has said there would be no privatization/whatever, they certainly didn't do so publically to my knowledge, in fact many have been saying it is coming for a lot longer then 2014/15.

either way, the good news is any attempt to drive down terms and conditions for transport staff will fail, whether bus eireann or dublin bus exist in the future or not, because we are a small market with a small population and realistically, few interested in transport work, and while different, the hgv driver shortage in the uk at least, will focus the minds of the uk bus operators.

if a strike happens it will just go the same way the others have, as i said the public generally don't support transport strikes and support or lack of has never solved a dispute within that field within recent years at least.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I’d add that a strike today would be much less impactful then it might have been just 3 years ago.

I know it isn’t possible for some workers, like retail workers, but for most office based jobs, they have adjusted to being able to work from home over the last year and a half. Staff have laptops and decent home broadband and IT departments have rolled out or upgraded VPN servers, and remote working tools like Zoom, slack, etc.

If a strike was to happen, most office workers who commute will just shrug their shoulders and go back to working from home.

That will mean there would be far less pressure on politicians to get involved and resolve a strike. It would likely end up just like the last BE strike, go on for a few weeks, but end with the two sides coming to an agreement with no government involvement.

BTW I fully support every workers right to go on strike. But it isn’t some silver bullet that some seem to think it is. It is usually a final resort, if all other negotiations fail and isn’t always successful and can have long term damaging consequences.

Post edited by bk on

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kyriakos

Well was told a few weeks ago that there would be trouble before Christmas but now with the country looking like another lock down on the cards it will probably be in the new year, anyway some of the things rejected in the vote are being sneaked into the busconnect changes happening right now, not contusive for a happy workforce to say the least.

Anyway here are a couple of pictures of the original pay deal that where totally rejected.

As stated in this thread all marking in as we know it, gone and drivers do all duties in the depot, neither spare or marked in are happy with this

we seen in the media talk of a 15% pay rise, it was posted here as 12% but as we can see its was only ever 11% and only 5% was guaranteed the rest relied on conditions, and we all know that aint worth the paper its written on, whats inflation running at currently in Ireland? well its 5.5% just for this year, so we would be earning less. https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/inflation-cpi

Its a bad deal, that obvious and no one here can argue its not.

We where then told after the total rejection of this deal that the unions have identified several issues as to why it was rejected after a consultation and survey of drivers, only problem is not a single driver know anything about a consultation or survey, to say this as furthered angered drivers is a understatement, most are ready to go on strike if its forced through.

keep a eye on new hires at the WRC and NTA in the new year

Roll on automation is all I'll say

there will still be maintenence and other staff to strike, so it won't be the silver bullet that some would like to believe.

And there are other companies out there waiting to run the routes at less cost than Dublin bus too.

If the NTA threw Dublin bus out the door tomorrow there wouldn't be a major issue getting drivers and mechanics, admins etc but there'll be about 3 thousand of them unemployed looking for the job they just lost.

The NTA aren't playing games that Dublin bus used to 15 - 20 years ago. This is the real world now. They aren't even being buddies with go-ahead anymore, they do give them a hard time.

I got wind recently that Go-ahead are under threat of losing routes because of under performance and they have another company waiting to take over (after tendering of course!) And it's not Dublin bus either.

Sure remember, for a new company to come in now and take over these routes won't cost a lot at all. The vehicles and equipment are bought for them, they rent a depot get some fuel and off they go and the tender price pays for it. Sure there's a few admin things too but I bet a private like National Express who kept his nose in the country and Dublin airport and even did Dublin bus out of the airlinks did so for a reason

Can I ask what has any of this to do with anyone here?

This is a pay & conditions negotiation between your employer and their employees, and frankly the terms of that are none of our business unless we work in the company.

It is only going to be resolved by talks between the employer and the employees, through the unions, and frankly nothing anyone posts here is going to change that.

I can never understand why some people feel a need to post this sort of thing online.

at less cost for now while dublin bus exists, once it is gone they will be looking for real money, all of them and why shouldn't they? they are commercial businesses not effectively a charity with a couple of commercial bits like BE, or dublin bus who once had a small commercial bit.

not a chance are privates going to put up with the pennies db cost in subsidy long term, they will be wanting proper payments and boy they will be getting them and the NTA will have to pay up.

and realistically it will be about 2/3 operators, dublin in the great scheme of things is a tiny city, probably a large town really in a european context.

oh and there will still be industrial relations issues and even strikes from time to time so the whole thing will all be for nothing but new operator so no more problems until they are.

national express are in ireland for the same reason as first, because the commercial routes they operate are profitable and therefore why not? if it stops being profitable for them to operate here they will be off.

they can replace GAI but we will probably be back here again with the next operator and the next, no doubt GAI are doing their best with what they have been given and whatever issues there are won't just go away with another new operator, just like they obviously didn't with GAI taking over from db.

• Advertisement

Costs will always change with several different factors from new routes, changes, service required and other factors such as inflation, running costs etc. So yes very possible even likely that cost will go up in future to run public transport and that'll be with or without Dublin bus.

Proper payments that Dublin bus already get you mean. Having several union admin staff that under work at less than 30 hours work a week, or several inspectors, chief inspectors, revenue inspectors, driver inspectors, depot Inspectors and so on, all on over €80 grand a year plus whatever overtime they do at a rediculous wage rate but will never drive a bus in service if it ever had to come to it ?

I'm sure a private would do just fine with the money Dublin bus get at the moment to slim line it down and probably make a few euro from it too.

I would say Dublin is a terrible small city too and probably 3 or 4 operators at most. But I don't foresee industrial action from them in the same way as Dublin bus. Afterall, Go-Ahead have siptu in as their union and they have not gone on strike or the likes since they started up.

A lot of companies, not just National Express want in on tenders, if it's from a school run or a PSO tender etc. They'll make it work.

The issues they suffer are the very same issues Dublin bus are suffering, which is a shortage of drivers , so yeah it'll probably pass on. But Dublin bus won't fix it either. Dublin bus are under the very same threat as Go-Ahead because of these issues, but the difference I see is Go-Ahead are trying to make a good fix at it by putting supervisors out in buses and getting them running etc. Where as the attitude in Dublin bus is there's over time there if you want it but if nobody does it they'll call it out on the radio last minute begging drivers to do it as overtime on double rate. Again pushing costs up.

I think it's people working there just admit and accept this is happening weather they like it or not. The sooner they admit it then the sooner they can make peace with it and get on with it or move on.

they don't really get proper payments though, they are always a victim of the famine and feast funding of pt that this country has always engaged in.

but dispite that they are still able to keep services going in the worst of times when the likes of the UK end up having to cut hard because they can't pay the high costs that private operators quite rightly expect to be paid for operating services and it would be interesting to see how that would play out here, i suspect we would end up the very same in a hypothetical non-db/be world.

there will always be a requirement for inspectors of some sort and similar wages will be paid regardless of operator because UK type wages won't cut it in ireland and even in the UK wages are going to only go one way, up just like will have to happen with HGV driving and associated support staff.

there hasn't been a strike at db for quite a number of years either, so the fact there hasn't been a strike at GAI yet isn't something i would read into in terms of how strike action would operate beyond dublin bus.

a lot of companies may want in but only a few will realistically be staying and i suspect those will be the big 6 and they will be wanting proper payment and not a chance will they put up with the government/NTA's nonsense of famine and feast funding.

and yet dispite goahead putting supervisers out in busses who's job it is to supervise rather then drive the bus they are under threat for issues probably beyond their control, which says as it has always said to me that it's not the operator who is the issue here and the same thing will happen again with the next and the next operator and so on because whatever the actual issues are, they won't be solved because the NTA think that they can just change operator and those issues will go away or are automatically gone.

i think the staff at dublin bus are well aware this is happening but realistically if they stay in the bus industry they will be on similar terms or if they get out they can sit back and enjoy the drama of the NTA changing operators over and over again only for the issues they removed the previous operator for to not get fixed, so either way it's a win win for them.

That's not true either, every year here Dublin bus introduce the summer timetables with reduced vehicles to lower costs. When covid hit the drivers were only doing half duties and there were plenty of buses off the road. All the euros, bogies, Universal's, the xpresso routes etc , extra workings were all taking off the road nearly immediately, so we are already in that world.

€80,000 a year for an inspector is a joke for a lads job, I won't go into it because there's so much in it from nepotism to corruption and all sorts there but them jobs won't last and there won't be inspectors again with that kind of money. A waste of taxpayers money they are.

Going on your previous comment of issues and strikes getting worked up at me companies it's almost as like you expected one from Go ahead by now but there isn't a whiff of one. Or then again, maybe the drivers that were there had the right ideas, if they aren't happy, go elsewhere.

It's a tender, it's a set amount paid in increments agreed on a contract. It's not a guess or surprise when the operator gets paid. They know when they get paid and they budget accordingly.

Go ahead asking supervisors to cover runs and then agreeing to suggests they don't mind getting the hands dirty. Why can't a Dublin bus inspector do that ? I'll tell you why, because they think it's below them. They think that's it now they have the cap they don't have to work anymore, leaving the company to sink.

Great, so it's win win and terms and conditions are only getting better along with pay. So why are we here ? The deal by Dublin bus you might not like but it's the way forward and that's it now. They'll have to accept whichever way it presents itself now soon because the drivers have very little say anymore

large redundancies coming 2024, there will be no shortage of drivers taking this option

You no longer work at DB, you have no idea what the atmosphere is like at the moment, redundancy is the hot topic of talk, there would be a mass exodus if offered tomorrow, and its coming 2024

..and you still felt the need to comment, interesting.

The point is you and others, if believing the media would still think it was 15% or 12%, which is not true, you all refused to believe that drivers would have to do all duties in the depot, including bogies, well now here it is in black and white. you would only ever get one side of the argument , and that is the one full of lies and half truths. I suppose anything that puts the drivers in a good light is not welcome around here

For transport enthusiasts there are HUGE gaps in the knowledge around these parts, just trying to enlighten posters

It has nothing to do with any of us outside of the company, that is my point.

This is something between you and your employer.

I don't see anything to be gained in posting things like this in public.

the deal has been rejected and by the sounds of it the staff will not be excepting it.

it's a crap deal and anyone with pride does not except crap deals, so no it won't be the way forward.

yeah the drivers at GAI have db to go to thankfully, so that is where they go and GAI will have to up their terms if they know what's good for them otherwise they ain't getting the drivers.

i don't sit around expecting strikes here there and everywhere, they are as they have always been, a last resort and i expect management to be communicating effectively with their staff.

• Advertisement

The thing with DB, GAI & the NTA is DB/GAI will have to tender for routes into the future. Those tenders will be based on their costs and DB's will be vastly higher than GAI or any other operator for that matter, so its likely they will lose out on a lot of tenders going forward as they simply won't be able to compete.

Until they can automate out the drivers role of course. Once that option is open to companies, expect them to embrace it with gusto as it will allow them to be far more profitable. Sure the redundancies will sting, but they'll make it back tenfold within a few years as they'll have eliminated the bonkers salaries.

It can already be seen where HGV companies are chomping at the bit to use point-to-point automation due to the massive savings and chronic staff shortages. Same with shipping companies, with trials underway in several places around the world at the moment.

In 5-10 years, point-to-point (depot to depot/port to port) transportation is going to look very, very different in terms of staffing/automation. For inner city routes (last mile deliveries, public transportation) I'm guessing 10-15 years

Advertisement