Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

Dealers can buy VAT qualifying cars and basically only pay the 10% customs duty whereas private buyers have to pay the full 23% VAT and 10% customs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

You will also need proof of nox. Depending on year last registered it may be on the V5-C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Thanks

Car was registered in uk 2008 so I am hoping that will be on the reg doc

Downloaded a revenue aporoved uk document stating the co2 emmissions

Fecks sake - all this because I got bored one night and started browsing donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Exactly, i could handle/justify 10% plus a handling fee if I found the right car, no way with another 23% on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Are the majority of them passing that saving on to the customer though? Used car prices have rocketed recently and imports still being sold by dealers here don't seem to be any different.

• Advertisement

Well the additional 10% that dealers now have to pay is definitely being charged directly to the customer and is not being ‘absorbed’ by the dealer at all so that explains the increase in prices here. Also the fact that supply is low is pushing prices even higher. Even the Nox charge introduced last year has increased the value of older diesels here. But still if you look at UK prices and do the sums you will see that dealer prices here are a good bit less then if you were to import the car yourself.

So I don’t think dealers are saying “Well it would cost this customer 23% more to import, so I’m going to charge 23% more”, if that makes sense.

To be fair tho why would they source you a car from the UK and only get paid a ‘handling fee’ when they could sell the car to a retail customer with a 20% profit margin or whatever. If you want a car sourced you will probably be paying close to full retail price for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Sorted ,sorry for deleted post

Post edited by cajonlardo on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Allinall

I have heard from a dealer here in Dublin, who deals in high end cars, that the vast majority of qualifying cars in the north are being snapped up by dealers here.

They’re now making nice money due to the lack of supply to the general public.

Because I want that particular car? I source it and they acquire and deliver it to me. I haven't seen one of them on sale in the country in 18 months so it's not like there's truck loads arriving every week, e.g. Car Store and 330e BMWs, fair enough if i'm trying to buy one of them.

• Advertisement

I don’t think you get what I mean. Why would they sell you a car and only be paid a ‘handling fee’? If they are going to sell you a car it would need to be at full retail price or else they are just throwing money away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Not sure you get what I mean either, they'll be making money from whatever they charge me for "handling it", they're not buying the car and giving it to me for less than what they paid for it, just the vat is taken out of it so i'm not paying 23% vat on top of the rrp, duty and VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Quick question in relation to importing electric cars from NI: am I correct in assuming that importing a fully electric used car that's already registered in Northern Ireland will not incur any VRT, VAT or Customs Duty and the total cost would be just the price of the car in NI? Or am I missing something? Looking into importing a small electric runaround like Leaf from the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

If the car am buying from NI / Mainland UK is brand new (less than 6000km & not 6 months old) am I still liable for 10% customs duty + 23% Irish vat + vrt? Kindly advice please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

VRT will still be payable in accordance with ROS calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭sligopaul

Folks

Looking for benefit of experience of members, looking at second hand car at NI at a dealer. Car on a UK plate however has been in NI most of it's life and the V5 states the current owner ( With NI address ) and date acquried which is pre Brexit ( Jan 1 2021 )

My understanding is that I only pay VRT as before and no further charges are payable, is that the consensus here ?

Also is that sufficient to make a VRT appointment or do the VRT people need some revenue sign off before I can VRT the car, they will see full V5 doc with details above

Thanks in advance P

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

For the A6 linked below - do I only have to pay the VRT and Nox charges which the seller has stated in the ad?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-audi-a6-auto-ultra-s-line-black-edition/29096929

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aidan.c25

I have been looking through as much of this as I can and probably missed it but what are you paying the vat on? The price of car now or the price of when it was new? I am looking at buying an e92 m3 but none down south and I am trying to find out if there's any loop holes with purchasing one from NI instead of the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

That looks like a UK mainland reg, NI ones generally have three letters, where as Uk have 2 letters then numbers. In saying that it may have been imported from UK prior to 1st Jan 2021 and often reg is not changed, making it ok to import with just VRT and Nox. In saying all that I would look for something in writing from the dealer, plenty of scammers on Donedeal or get one of those paid checks done on the car if serious about buying it, it could still be under finance etc. Most genuine dealers/sellers will be happy to provide same anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

NI residents don't need to change the reg from GB to NI to register the car in NI. They can register the car in NI alright and keep the GB reg if they want. Just do proper background checks and make sure the car is actually registered in NI and don't just accept the seller's word because once you hand over the money and take the key's then VAT and import duty become your problem when you go to register it down south.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Wow, I've been blissfully looking on Autotrader for a new car to import from the UK all week, found one I really like and even started to price out some loans, completely unaware of the Brexit changes to importing a used car. Then I thought it would be a good idea to check the VRT FAQ to see if anything had changed since I last imported a car (back in 2017), whoa, what a disaster!

This is a real kick in the nuts to consumers - it's completely killed importing cars from the mainland UK. I swear us consumers in Ireland get screwed more and more every day with banks leaving etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Car prices are just out of control right now here.

Nuts.

As a high level example using napkin math, for a car from the UK costing £18,500

car: €21,700 (£18,500 converted)

travel: ~€250

import tax: (10% of 21,950) €2195

VAT: (23% of car+import tax) €5495

VRT: ~€3500

total: 33,140

total before brexit: 25,450

difference: €7,690

So brexit has increased the cost by 30% in this example

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Just to add to that.

Dealers can claim back the 20% UK VAT on qualifying cars, but they don't seem to be passing on them savings

Still, there is still plenty of imports coming in, but it's a dealer market now.

Without going full keyboard lawyer seems a little against the EU anti-competition law?

What constitutes anti-competitive behaviour?

e.g. if you can increase your prices because you know that your customers have very few alternative sources of supply and so will have little choice but to pay the higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Since when did anyone bother what happens to motorists, all the fanfare about a Brexit deal or no deal, not a bit of difference to the motorists, still hit with 10% customs duty.

Also paying VAT twice on a car seems to be a method to gouge more money out of us, I cant see how that is legal in the first place,

To be fair, dealers are passing on the 10% customs duty to customers, but are certainly not passing on the 20% that they are not even paying. Car prices have risen in the UK as well so dealers are paying more for their cars at auction which is where the additional price increase is coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Prices here are up way more than 10 percent of the UK price.

They are charging what they can get away with and that is basically just less than it would cost private person to bring it in.

There has to be a business in importing to order at the minute with slim margins. An admin facility really to avoid double vat.

• Advertisement

I really don’t think thats true. If you find a car in the UK and calculate the true cost of importing it you will find that dealers here are charging a lot less than it would cost a private person to import with the double VAT etc

Advertisement