Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

I've always liked McGregor the fighter, though I never bothered watching his weigh-ins, pressers, or anything like that. Just never really cared, just as I never cared what he did in his own personal time outside the octagon either, whether good or bad. I just enjoyed watching him fight.

Lately though he's been an asswipe of unprecedented magnitude, it's impossible to seperate the fighter, from the person he pretends to be, or the person he really is. I don't know what's up with him or how much of all the recent vitriol is "real" or designed to keep him in the headlines and maintain his $$$ power despite the twin losses, but I find it hard to understand how anyone would continue to support him at any level.

There was a time when it was relatively harmless schtick for the most part, and he was good at selling it. The bus incident was obviously different, but however inexcusable or criminal that was, at least there was some sort of credible "sellable" context behind it with the whole Artem thing. With all that in mind, even with how outrageous (and no doubt calculated) it was, that would've been forgiven with time.

The last while though it's like he's completely unhinged and really going down a one way street. It's not funny, there's zero intelligence on display, just bitter, sad, kinda pathetic ramblings of someone who's not with reality - starting with the bewildering Octagon death threats, to the cringe-inducing Twitter rampages.

I would maybe understand if it's a calculated effort to maintain his star power and relevance - realistically McGregor is still making major news every other day with his tirades, so there's that.

But it's so dumb, unfunny and self-incriminating as same, I can't really buy into that theory. The nature of the messages reads more like someone attacking the keyboard at 3am after a feed of substances. If maintaining relevance and generating headlines was the plan, there are slightly smarter ways to achieve the same goal without painting yourself as a contender for the world's biggest sore loser/ass-wipe.

Dunno, rooted for him (as a fighter) in the Dustin rematch, was a bit put off by his resurgent a-hole attitude in the trilogy fight but still felt like I'd like to see him capture the magic again. In the aftermath of that fight and other recent behaviors though, honestly I just want to see him retire from the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Can't wait for this encounter to play out. DC just like his teammate Khabib is a proper no nonsense man's man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭xtal191

Isn't DC working with Kavanagh on Wimp2Warrior now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

Yeah, that's actually a really good point and hilarious when you think about it. Must be a bit awkward for Jk, especially considering DC is probably doing him a massive favour by endorsing W2W and the only reason John has any platform is because of McG.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Someone take his phone off him, he's worse than a child

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Time for him to throw the phone away and be done with MMA & Boxing, al

He was a brilliant fighter up until the Mayweather fight , Then because the money & time away form MMA before & after that fight the world of MMA just passed him by, Look it happens sure look at Khabib he himself got out on the top , Sport evolves quickly ,

Time to step away form fighting and rebuild his brand & do something else

One thing he can be proud of is he took "prize fighting " to a new level, some achievement for a lad from Crumlin

Really turned into such an unlikable fella over the years no idea how his missus sticks him , (Even with the cash)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DC getting paid to be a ambassador for W2W, isn’t doing it as favour, and certainly not for Kavanagh. I’d guess he was signed through the link with AKA.

JK might have some interaction with DC through W2W but it’s not like they’re coaching together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Surprised nobody mentioned his tweet with the pic of Diaz and himself and talking about packing on 30 pounds of muscle and then ding ding ding.

Looks like the penny has dropped that he needs a punchbag to get the show back on the road, its a risk with his cardio though - Diaz sells more but Ferguson is the safer option. Suppose the best option for McGregor is the one that will make the most money and its a guy who will stand and bang with him.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

He'll fight Diaz next I reckon, I'm not even sure he would beat him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

What's his motivation for fighting now?

He has more than enough money to live 10 lifetimes now.

It's definitely not the love of the sport.

Is it ego and the need to be centre of attention all the time? That's what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

I think Diaz beats him with ease in the trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Marketing, his other businesses will live or die on the back of his brand. Once he keeps himself in the spotlight he keeps attention on him and the UFC provides a huge free advertising platform for him.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Big time.

Seems to be a case of:

"Look at me, I've bigger muscles than you, f&@k you"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Nate Diaz? who's fought even less than McGregor since that fight in 2016...with a worse record, that Diaz? beats him with ease

ok your dislike of McGregor is just pure fking blind hate 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

Nate is an awkard match-up for Conor simply because Nate has good cardio and can take damage like a champ.

I don't think in any world he beats him with ease though. However, the Leon fight proved that he's always potentially dangerous for those reasons mentioned previously despite the inactivity and record.

The only "easy" match-ups for Conor in the rankings are orthodox one dimensional strikers and/or past it fighters.

Someone like Tony is the ideal return fight if they want to give it to him on a plate. I mean, no certainty he would win, but that's about as favorable as it could get for McGregor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Trans Humanist

I must say Boards is just a fúckéd as it was before.

Moderators who have little or no control over the events in their real world lives have some 'power' 😅 ove people in this virtual cesspit.

Particularly Axwell (moderator (aka idiot)) you absolute tool and Beasty (moderator(aka - didn't get enough love from mommy growing up so feels validated telling people to shut up - maybe you'll get noticed some day)) - 2 absolute imbecilic idiots.

Got warned for expressing an opinion that Alberta64 - yes the dumbcúnt troll of this thread who knows fúck all about MMA, is on the same good **** that McKncker is on (druggie fool).

Here is the interaction :

Beasty; "If you are incapable of being civil to other posters do not post. If you have a question about moderation take it to PM. Never raise it in thread"

Me: " Ohhhh, I am soooooo sorry.

Get a grip and grow up.

I was not uncivil. The poster is expressing a deluded perspective called out by many, many poster in the thread.

We are talking about Conor McGregor who has openly taken substances and is being held on a pedestal by this poster whom, did I mention(?), has called out by many, many poster in the thread and has been reported and blocked as a troll.

Beasty you have been the same for years, seeking validation through anonymity of the internet and asserting your 'power'. I left boards a few years ago as a result of 'moderators' like you who seem to believe in your own importance. Run back to your mammy and try figure out where it all came crashing down for you.

You really should try fulfil your empty invalidated existence in a better way."

What a bunch of turds.

Peace out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

You certainly seem civil.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

"You really should try fulfil your empty invalidated existence in a better way."

Oh the irony...bye now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

McGregor has to hope he wins a 5 round decision. Nate just turns up, gets hit but keeps moving forward.

I just don't think McGregor has the stomach for that type of fight at all anymore. He barely did in their second fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Neither do I FWIW.....I wouldn't know what to expect from him anymore but I'd be erring on the side of he's a busted flush as a top level fighter .......I think it's admirable in a way he's hanging on in there trying to still talk the talk when he really doesn't need any of it .........folly to some and unjustifiable maybe, we shall see

Boards mods filling in as McGregor twitter account mods would be great craic 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

not sure why my post was deleted it was fighting and mcgregor related

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

To fight Diaz on his return would be the height of grand delusion on McGregors part,

After a long layoff of not fighting or training lets fight a guy who's game plan is to take damage & take you into deep waters , not the brightest of idea's to fight Nate next,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

It wasn't MMA related..as per the thread title.

Advertisement