Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think we only played the 4-2-3-1 system once last season which was against Man City. The previous season there was regular tactical variation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Mane scored for Senegal in the world cup qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nabby had a really nice assist as well for Guinea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mane used to play on the right for us, then when we signed Salah he switched to left. Maybe we should be playing Salah as a No9 with Mane on right, Jota on Left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

F**K Ronaldo anyway.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I wouldn't be one to tell Jürgen what to do, but....

I'd have thought there was a place for the 2 boys to swap wings at times, even if only for a few minutes to mix it up a bit.

EG, on Saturday, we needed width, Mo and Sadio kept cutting in from either side, often into space already occupied, and effectively narrowed the pitch. We needed someone to turn out ans widen the pitch at times, even if only to freshen it up. Trent wasn't overlapping much , neither was Robbo, so we got very narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Feel we may be forced to sign an attacker in January. Why didnt we get one this summer, I dont think Klopp is 100% happy with the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Probably had a discreet meeting on a roller-coaster with someone, he tends to be patient, if not a January signing a contract for the summer, pogba will be going free 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Looking at last season, Man City are scoring with every 2nd shot on target and last season it was about every 2.6 shots. West Ham are also outperforming from last year, but they were also scoring every 2.6 shots last year.

We were at a goal every 3.1 shots last year, so far it is one for every 4 shots. So room for improvement to get to last year, but would like us to get close to 2019-20 really which was a goal for every 2.7 shots on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Styles matter in this we play against far more side playing a low block than West ham so id imagine we take more shots from distance ?

City pattern of play means they always seem to have them 2 yards taps in when someone goes towards the byline and pulls it back, ,Again i'd imagine we take more long shots than them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

West Ham were good last year as well, would be worried for them if the average moves away from 2.6 shots per goal as they don't create a lot of shots on goal.

You are right on City, their shots per goal should be low as they walk the goal in by design with that cutback they do. You know it is coming, stopping it is a different story with them. It is when you stop it that they run into trouble, as evidenced in the CL final and against Tottenham. Not sure how a striker that scores goals fixes this as it is creating chances that seem to hinder them rather than putting chances away in those games they lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

From memory, I can only recall one game where Salah played LW for some period of time and that was only about 10-15 minutes against Leicester a few years ago, when Milner scored the last minute penalty. Mane stayed RW all game that day , with Firmino playing LW for a lot of the day and Salah central.

Interesting timing when Chinese money is leaving football.

LFC International Academy launches in Beijing

Liverpool Football Club today announced that it will be launching the LFC International Academy Beijing with partners Li Sheng to deliver a new youth coaching project in China.

Aimed at providing unique coaching opportunities for youngsters, the Reds will now deliver ongoing coaching programmes to children aged five to 16 across Greater Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei Province to help them learn to play ‘The Liverpool Way’. 

The project’s mission is to develop the participants both on and off the pitch; encouraging them to get active and improve their football skills, while also improving important skills in everyday life, such as character, teamwork, confidence and integrity.

Li Sheng’s objective is to build 30 football centres in the region in the next five years, with the first Liverpool FC International Academy to be built and opened in 2022 at its Nanhaizi football park in the south of Beijing. From this flagship centre, with state-of-the-art footballing facilities and classrooms, the programme will be delivered to hundreds of children and coaches each week.

Once the 2022 Winter Olympics are complete, Li Sheng will have a facility at the Bird’s Nest national stadium, too, ensuring that the Liverpool FC International Academy Beijing has visibility at one of the most iconic sporting venues in China.

Players will improve their football skills and develop their technical, tactical and physical abilities through age-specific coaching sessions. Through the unique coaching methods of Liverpool FC, there will also be a focus on educating the young participants in the history, culture and traditions of the beautiful game.

Local coaches will also be involved and will benefit from a comprehensive coach education scheme, which will include the LFC International Academy global accreditation, to deliver coaching ‘The Liverpool Way’.

While the initial focus is to launch the project in Beijing, the plan in time is to expand the network of Li Sheng football centres and Liverpool FC International Academies into other Chinese provinces, to make LFC coaching experiences available to as many young players as possible. 

Dan White, vice president, LFC International Academies, said: “Our International Academies create many fantastic opportunities for young players around the world to improve their skills and be developed via our unique coaching methods. 

“We are absolutely delighted to be expanding our programme to Beijing to provide opportunities for young players in the region to be coached ‘The Liverpool Way’. This is also a key step forward for the UK and China working together in football development.”

Ian Rush, LFC International Academy ambassador and legendary former player, said: “We are extremely excited to be bringing the LFC International Academy to Beijing. The curriculum is based on the LFC Academy philosophy and practices; with an active and educational programme, that will provide excellent opportunities for local players and coaches in China.”

Mr Chunyu Zhang, vice president of Li Sheng, said: “Over the years, we have built a strong relationship with our English partners. We hope to combine their expertise with our local resources in Beijing, to provide an exceptional experience to the football community in China.”

Alex Arnold, LFC IA Beijing head coach, added: “We can’t wait to get started!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Should sell a few more shirts, nothing more.

Soccer in China is and always has been a hames.

Just remember our the next game is Leeds away, which was a draw last season

If we mange to win we would be 8 points up on last season's corresponding fixtures after just 4 games ,

Hopefully get everyone back from the international games in good order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

What period did last years fixtures fall in?? If the fixtures fell at the start or end of last season then great. If it was the fixtures at the start of 2021 then it would be expected we improve on last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Dissapointed to have not bought a striker. If there's one position we need, it's a number 9 to challenge Firmino. I love Firmino, but his powers are surely waning.

Origi is a good player but, for me, he has to play consistently each week to show his worth, and that's not going to happen at Liverpool.

I can only presume Klopp is looking for someone for January, once the dust has settled from the manic summer merry go round. Pretty sure a lot of our big signings under Klopp have landed in January, and Klopp likes to go under the radar a bit with signings.

Sure, Jota can play CF, and he has been good for us when played there, but I prefer him to focus on competing with Mane. Equally would like a RWF to compete with Salah, even if it's a younger player.

Elliot can of course play RWF. He may be a little slow there fot our setup, but he can still play well there given his football intelligence, movement, and his ability to make a few yards and retain possession. but good to see Klopp bring him into CM, and to see he can play that role very well also.

And it was great to see Klopp start Elliot against Chelsea. It's one thing starting him against Burnley for his debut, but quite another starting him against Chelsea a week later. Elliot was brilliant against Burnley, and played well against Chelsea. The trust Klopp is showing in him should massively build his confidence. The player has said himself that he is working to transition from being in awe of his colleagues, to seeing them as people he is competing with to start games.

Would like to have seen Minamino come on against Chelsea when we looked flat toward the end, and lacked a spark. He should also have a chance, having done well at Southampton and with a very positive preseason under his belt.

I think we are ok in midfield for a season. Henderson looks to be getting on a bit but can still push us on for at least another season. Fabinho and Thiago are just world class.

I think Milner is past it at this point and would put him behind those players pushing to make the team in Jones, Keita, Ox, all of which have a big season ahead of them.

We look good in defence but thought Robertson played poorly against Chelsea, and thought Tsimakas might have retained his place having played well against Burnley. Klopp bringing him on later was maybe recognition of that. Good to have competition.

We are very good for CBs for the forseeable in Van Dijk, Matip, Gomez, Konate, Philips. Im delighted Phillips signed a 4 year deal.

We need quality cover for Trent at RB though, I don't have confidence in Williams, and prefer Gomez at CB.

So, quality striker a priority for January, and following that, a prospect RWF and RB.

• Advertisement

Origi reported to be in talks with Fenerbache, Turkish transfer still open.

Fenerbahce wanted to take him on loan for last season but they didn't want to commit to signing him at the end of the season so the deal fell through.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a move for Raphinha or Bowen in January to be brought in when Salah & Mane go to the AFCON.

The AFCON players will only miss a couple of games I'd be more worried about them picking up injures there (nearly all of Naby's injuries have come on international duty) than missing a couple of games.

I do think Neto would have been a target this summer if he wasn't out with a long term injury, He isn't due back till the new year so I doubt he will be a target in January.

It could be the case that Pedro Neto is the player that Klopp wants and is prepared to wait until he has recovered from his injury. Bruno Lage said last week that he had suffered a setback in his recovery and that it was now likely to be December before Neto would be available for the team. He had originally been expected to return in October.

Haaland broke VVD's finger last night in their game.

No point in keeping him if he is not in Klopps plans, get the money in, buy a striker early in the jan window to hopefully cover for mane/Salah during afcon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Wouldn't call for it yet but Taki should get a run if things aren't clicking during the next run of games.

I think that's partly why Jota started so promisingly last season, as it was something new and defenders didn't know what to expect.

If Klopp likes playing with a small squad as much as they are claiming I don't see how he can't change things up more, whether it's Taki or Origi. There's no point in judging a player over a **** cameo run here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Think it was a missed opportunity not to send Kelleher out on loan, at this stage of his career he needs games, which he won't get at Liverpool unless Alisson is injured. He's likely to only get a few cup games, which really isn't enough for his development. He has also been overtaken by Bazunu at international level who's playing regular first team football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Allison was very injury prone last season and missed a good chunk at the start of our title winning season. While a loan would suit Kelliher's development can we really risk maybe playing a month or more with Adrian in goals?

There's always Karius!, it's a catch 22 situation for Kelleher, he really needs first team games to continue his development, as atm he's waiting for Alisson to get injured to play, if he only plays 4 or 5 games this season it's not going to benefit him much. I'd be willing to take the risk of having to play Adrian, he did play a significant amount of games in our title winning season and our defence with VVD, Matip and Gomez back will be more secure. The long term benefits of letting Kelleher get first team football elsewhere would ofar outweigh the negatives, we would get back a much better keeper who we could trust to step in or even challenge Alisson for No. 1. His development is stalling sitting on the bench week in, week out. The experience of first team football is much more beneficial than any training at Liverpool.

I previous would have said the same but from the time Kelleher played against Arsenal in the League cup a couple years ago until he played against Ajax & Wolves last season, he didn't go on loan and he only played 2 games in between. And I think he was twice the player in those Ajax & Wolves games than he was in that League cup game against Arsenal, and even Villa in the league cup.

Need to take into account the liverpool line ups in those matches, league cup matches were a bunch of kids, last season was with senior first team players, that's a significant difference. Also we don't know if he can sustain that level over a 5 or 10 game run or what happens if he has a poor game, is he able to put it behind him and bounce back for next match. Very difficult for a young keeper to learn their trade at a club like Liverpool when every move he makes is scrutinised, be much better to gain all the experience away from the spotlight where he can make and learn from his mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Isak doing the business again internationally. Be a brilliant one to go for in January if we can shift a few bodies.

I had this conversation in the Rep of Ireland tread,

Kelleher is 22 & only started goal keeping at 16 he is very early in his development & as a goal keeper has so much time ahead of himself ,

He is currently training every day with the best keeper in the world and also facing some of the best attackers ,He is also involved in match day squad for huge games including champions leagues games, He is further behind in his development than most keepers because of his late start ,

The time will come when he feels ready to go become a first choice goal keeper somewhere & he will have given himself a great platform to do so, You'd imagine in the Premier league or top end of the Championship

Bazunu is a different circumstances he was never going to be part of the City first team set up so his only option was to go on-loan or play reserve football ,so decided to go to league 1

It'll be very interesting in a few years to see who ends up the better keeper from two different routes ,

I feel both lads picked the right options for them given the circumstance they found themselves in ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I could only imagine if we let Kelleher go on loan and Allison gets injured people would be complaining that we should never have let Kelleher go on loan with only Adrian as back up!!

I agree with you with the current experience he is getting within the first team squad. Plus in the last two season Allison has picked up muscle injuries and could be expected to this season also so on top of getting the cup games Kelleher will be potentially required at some point for league and CL games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Mane said he's disappointed with last year and only scoring 16 goals. He's targeting 30 goals this year. Hope it clicks in to gear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

People writing him off after last season should at least wait until maybe Christmas before letting those knees jerk all over the shop. He's looked sharp in all games bar the Chelsea one where they stared him of the ball to be fair. I'm looking forward to a big season from him.

To be fair to him,he would have got a goal if it wasn't for a handball

Just a thought

I was racking my brain as to why after two impressive games against Norwich & Burnley why would Klopp drop Naby for the Chelsea game ,

Some have said he wanted to fit Hendo in but didn't want to drop Elliot which is possible but iv come to the inclusion that i reckon its because Klopp doesn't Guniea & Naby when he goes out on International duty ,

I reckon Kloop thought the game on Sautrdya ,Wednesday , Monday would be to much for him and Liverpool wouldn't be able to monitor him in between,

I could be wrong but i thought he was brilliant in the opening two games & getting dropped for Chelsea could have taken some steam out of him but maybe we where tyring to save him form injury

• Advertisement

It's probably that reason.

I just hope he comes back fit now again. He's a great option to have when fit, as the first 2 games showed, albeit against 'poorer' oppositions.

I was thing with Mbappe going to Madrid next summer that will set in place the transfer frenzy for forwards and PSG will need a a forward to replace him that will complement Messi and Neymar well I should say do all the hard graft for Messi and Neymar. Bobby would be ideal for that and as much as I love Bobby I think next season is the time for him to move on, PSG for a decent chunk of change would be a good move for all concerned.

Also if Bobby was to leave I then think a change up of formation, system and style of play could be done because without him and his thankless hard graft I don't think this 433 works half as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Pat_bottom

I think psg will be looking a goal scorer. Bobby wouldn't get near that psg team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Some people have a vivid imagination! Firmino has stank the place out for the guts of two years at Liverpool so his likely next move is going to PSG for a decent chunk of change! I wouldn't have thought so!

People are losing the run of themselves alot lately on here, see many posts saying we have the best XI in the league, then I look at Chelsea and Citys teams and squads and think wtf are people smoking round here!

Yo be fair, I think there's a difference between best 11 and squad.

I wouldn't swap our back 5 for anyone in the league (Alisson, Trent, VVD + one other, Robbo). Same with Fabinho. Salah is the best wide player in the league, if not the best forward. That's 7 players already that I'm not swapping.

While the likes of Hendo is not going to be the first name on others lips, he works in this Liverpool team. The midfield collective with Fabinho & him together and the way he works in tandem with Trent & Salah just suits the team so much so I think it's pretty fair to include him in the list too. Sure there are better players than him that everyone can list out, but would they perform his role the same way he does? So I'm going to include him as the 8th.

And while Bobby & Mane are not the players they once were, and Jota is still emerging as a top talent in the grand European scheme of things, including one alongside Salah is not exactly the wildest thing to suggest. It's fair to say that on average at least 1 of those 3 should be on form every other game. So I'll just include Jota for arguments sake as number 9.

That's 9 players that I'm taking as one of the best in their positions in the league, give or take. So it think it's not that big a stretch to say Liverpool have the best 11. The big problem with Liverpool IMO is the quality behind these players, and that's where Chelsea & City win out. Pulisic, Werner, Mahrez & Foden are all better options than Taki & Origi etc. Bernardo Silva is more reliable than Thiago & Keita, irrespective of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Pat_bottom

In my opinion Liverpool have one of the best 11s under klopp that's all. You put another manalger in there and you won't get the same performance level from some of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

This place still a bit of a crock of sh1t?

Anyone able to see their post history?

Just logged onto to the laptop and none of the soccer threads show in "My Threads"

I generally use my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Bookmarks. If you are on your phone logged in, use the star icon in blue bar to see them. Go to any thread, and at the top of the page click on the star to turn it yellow to follow.

Boards has taken a hammering with regards to users probably due to timeframe to get to a usable state. Piss poor implementation of change. Most of the regulars appear to be still in this thread. Lots of others died a death.

post history all the way at bottom under discussions. You can bookmark a discussion with a checkbox right below this section when typing to follow. very handy and unfollowing is very easy also. Just click on yellow star in thread to turn it opaque and it’s gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

If PSG are going for anyone from us, it's Salah.

If PSG were to target a Liverpool player to replace Mbappe it would be Salah. He's a goal scorer and an icon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement