Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Further information = Looking for revised drawings with landscaping plan and clarification on the potential noise impact from the proposed substation.

Do substations get noisy - this site is pretty close to some houses but I can't imagine it being that noisy?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Substations is a no. The cars however are a different matter, once batteries hit 45degrees then there'll be some serious fan noise

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Re opening of SuC network, I parked perfectly when SuC Saturday, the cable was JUST long enough to reach the car, Tesla do everything to avoid charging losses so I assume this is the reason for very short cable (still the only provider that charges for DC taken on by the car, not output from charger so in their interest to avoid losses).

Can't imagine how non rear left EVs will even manage to hook up or even those rear left ports in slightly different layout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Maybe they will have just one or two units out of the whole hub open for generic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It will be a shít show. The guy from Tesla who fixed my seat agreed. All etiquette will go out the window. People can be ignorant enough at the best of times. Watch as someone parks lengthways so as to get the cable to reach their car and then blocking the other bay.

Even now the majority of Tesla owners know to take a separate charger if someone is on one already (if someone is on 2a then nobody will take 2b if possible).

The whole etiquette of charging will go and it will be every man for himself.

I presume the likes of Ionity etc won't bother expanding their network if Tesla opens up theirs?

• Advertisement

But a rear right EV would block the next unit charging space, gonna be interesting to see how this pans out.

Hard to understand Gov's stepping in and forcing private networks like Tesla to open up (that's whats behind the SuC opening up)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thats what I'm thinking... they might simply install different units at the SuC sites for non Tesla's, with wider spaces, and longer cables..

yeah but you'll have to faff about with an app or something.... when you could be watching Netflix...

So according to leaks from a call with Elon yesterday it looks like the network is opening up to other manufacturers next month and starting in Europe.

Congratulations to all you drivers from all other manufacturers. You now have to no longer rely on ESB/Ionity chargers in future.

Commiserations to all you Tesla drivers (myself included) who now have to pull up at TESLA superchargers and sit behind Hyundai's, Audi's, VW's, Kia's and everyone else while wondering what Tesla's unique selling points are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

At least you won't have any Leafs ahead of you in as you wait in your Tesla in the queue for the Tesla charger 🤣.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe Tesla will charge €2 per kWh. Wouldn't mind that at all, might get a good chance to talk to the owner of a Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo about my next car 😂

I drove by the shop in Sandyford few days ago and no sign of any movement ref SuC works.

Someone was sayng that for Elon everything happens in two weeks. I've never seen a more unrealistic guy when it comes to deadlines or timelines. He missed so many targets that I just blank anything comes that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Drove by? Isn't that a dead end?

Stalker or closet Tesla fanboy 😛.

(..........joking of course.....).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Nah, I'd say about 80c would be enough to keep most most away, similar to Ionity🙂. Surprised how quiet Ionity is apart from the few VWs and ETrons. We had a Taxi Driver today at Kill who was unable to open his charging door. Eventually we managed it, but had to explain to him that he would not be able to charge his car(Leaf) there. Told him a few places where he would be able to charge his car, but I don't think local knowledge was his strong point. Not sure if he was in the right profession🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If I ever pull up to a supercharger and end up queueing behind a Hyundai that will be me 100% done with Tesla. I really don't get it.

This.

Even if he charges €1 per kWh they will still be busy. People pay for convenience.

Well let’s not create an issue until there is one, my preference would not be a premium cost but treat SuC hub like destination chargers, two where anyone can charge and remainder Tesla only, I think that would work

I'm still not sold on it. I've used both birdhill and castlebellingham and have seen them both at pretty much full capacity. Even taking 2 chargers out will cause a log jam for Tesla drivers in the future.

Oh I’m not sold or a fan of it at all but if it’s coming then that’s my personal preference, I think Tesla owners are wise and if treated like destination chargers will use those ones marked “for all” to reserve Tesla only for fellow Tesla owners…….get me?

• Advertisement

This. Has to be the way they do it......

The layout and spaces will be the real issue though... unless they plan on doing remedial works to allow non rear-left charge port cars to get in and use the chargers without occupying 2 spaces...

Then how will the Audi's get in with their awkwardly placed charge port..? They'll need to park perpendicular and probably occupy 3 spaces!!!!

The only workable option I see, but cant see them doing it, is to install 1-2-3 new units at the SuC sites, with longer cables, and the units placed so they can reach the port on any car, but this would involve planning applications at every site for the modifications, and I just cant see them doing that!

Hopefully if they do open then up, the ensuing shitstorm on Twitter of multiple spaces blocked by VW's will be enough for them to back track...... 4 ID.3/4's could render a site like Ballacolla useless, and as a Tesla driver, I'd be fairly furious to see that, but as an ID.4 driver, I wouldn't give a flying fcuk.

I reckon I could swap my SR+ for an ID.4, with little cash involved in the deal..... so why shouldn't I?

Cables and charge port location a MAJOR issue, as you all know Tesla are only provider who charge based on what car received not what charger output. For this reason the cables are ultra short, if I don’t park 98%+ correctly in my S the cable will simply not reach.

Any EV that takes up more than one space to charge will create a sh1tstorm.

I was in Birdhill a few weeks ago and at 1 point, 5 of us were using the 6 available chargers... and in the time I was there, 3 ID.s arrived and were queuing to use the free AppleGreen chargers.... so if/when just 1 of those ID.'s takes the last available SuC, what happens when Sean arrives 2 minutes later in his Model 3 needing a top up to get him down to the Tralee SuC...

I fcuking LOVE being able to plug in the car literally 10 seconds after putting it in park, so not a single second is wasted at a services stop. If I love that ability, I'm done with Tesla.

My kids has some activity in the area and said lets check. Bult stalker sounds better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Mission statement

“create the most compelling car company of the 21st century by driving the world's transition to electric vehicles,” while its mission is “to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass-market electric cars to market as soon as possible.”

when the super charger network is opened up the transition to electric vehicles will be made easier for the world

Mission nearly accomplished

All well and good but if shareholders react then that will dictate

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If this does happen (unless it's done like the destination charger network and only 1 of 3 opened up) then I'm done with Tesla.

I've sold my S and am currently in herselfs ioniq28 for a while while I consider our next main car. Luckily we have the luxury of waiting to see what happens but there's no way I'm spending 100k on an X only to find my exclusive network access is gone!

If you're gearing towards a new X you'd have to wait anyway. I bet you could get an Y before an X here in Ireland.

Est. Delivery: End of 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes I know, gives plenty of time to see what happens. I'm lucky that I can wait as long as I want while still using our/her ioniq28.

Not sure I'd be interested in a Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

I got a Tesla because I wanted a Tesla. The SuC network was just an additional benefit. If the SuC network is opened up to others would I buy a Tesla again?

.....Hell yes.

Advertisement