Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 officially saw a record number of $1 billion weather and climate disasters.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Maybe they did, or maybe Gaoth Laidir did a bait and switch. Record breaking Hourly rainfall indicates an extremely intense rainfall event. 24 hour rainfall totals indicate longer duration events. The consequences of over 3 inches of rain falling in an hour were devastating flash floods, the same rain falling over 12 hours gives the residents a chance to escape to higher ground and some of the rain to be channeled away.

These statistics have been widely studied in the literature and are summarized in the IPCC reports. If you’re interested please read the studies or the IPCC report.

Much better than randomly or cherry-picking individual stations

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Awaiting the top scientists to come out with guns blazing and condemn these media shenanigans...

What media shenanigans?

The 'false balance' of the media was a construction of the PR industry. It used to be that the press would read the report, and the journalist would report the facts as they understand them.

Step in the lawyers for the Tobacco industry, suddenly there are all of these so called 'experts' from think tanks and 'institutes' who are funded by the PR companies on behalf of their clients to write articles in the media casting doubt on the science and demanding that the media reports 'both sides' of the story

These same tactics, often by the same individuals, were employed again to argue that 'there is no evidence that CFCs were depleting the Ozone layer, and that 'It is not proven that sulphur Dioxide causes acid rain'

That 'there is no evidence that adding lead to petrol is toxic to humans' etc etc etc etc

They have been doing it for more than a half a century, industry puts out fake experts quoting fake studies and 'questioning' the real independent science in order to cast doubt on whatever issue their employers pay them to question.

Finally the media has collectively decided that they no longer need to add in the PR inspired line 'There is no way to definitely link any one weather event to climate change but...' and are finally attributing climate change to these increasingly extreme weather events.

The media reports the news, often in a sensational way because this makes them money and drives advertising. It is not the job of the Scientific community to police the media. The scientists publish the studies and review them. The IPCC goes into detail to outline how much of the increased weather extremes are due to AGW. If you want to know these figures, read the papers they publish, or the IPCC report. Do not just point at bad reporting in the media and use that as an excuse to ignore the mounting scientific data and the conclusions from those data.

Did you look at the twitter link posted by Oneric3?

If I were a highly qualified scientist looking at these churnalist twats sensationalising the message I was trying to convey, in fact I'd go as far as saying they're undermining the message, I'd be cutting them down to size. But then again when you've a guaranteed income from the taxpayer, PR doesn't matter - just go with cap-in-hand to the government and voila the bank account gets topped up.

It's an attitude problem with the climate change scientists, put out ludicrously false predictions and never get called to account over it, allow the media to pi$$ all over their message, subtly alter past figures (homogenised weather data) and still get funded regardless. This attitude of "we're untouchable" is arrogant.

You bring up big tobacco and big oil as if to say well, both sides are at it. So if you expect dishonesty to be part and parcel of this, expect kick back and people calling out the blatant dishonesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Akrasia wrote:

It is not the job of the Scientific community to police the media

Reality:

Media creates false balance on climate science, study shows | University of California

“It’s not just false balance; the numbers show that the media are ‘balancing’ experts — who represent the overwhelming majority of reputable scientists — with the views of a relative handful of non-experts,” UC Merced professor LeRoy Westerling said. 

Climate Feedback – A Scientific Reference to Reliable Information on Climate Change

WHAT WE DO

Climate Feedback is a worldwide network of scientists sorting fact from fiction in climate change media coverage. Our goal is to help readers know which news to trust.

It's Channel 4 so I'm not going to give them the satisfaction of a click but if it's about the oil industry then what do you expect? They will lobby and duck and dive just like the tobacco industry did. I'm not sure what that's got to do with the science?

Let's let you in on a little secret, the greens are just as dirty when it comes to lobbying. The truth is always somewhere in the middle.

You think big wind-farm green industry hasn't prostituted itself around the corridors of power?

RTÉ Investigates - Standards in Public Office (rte.ie)

I'm sure you remember that episode of Prime Time? One of the rare times the €160 licence fee was actually put to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Three politicians there were Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil and an independent, no Green Party politicians at all as far as I can see, so I don’t know what your on about.

• Advertisement

A 24-hr total does not eliminate the possibility that a lot of it fell in a short period within that 24 hours. There could well have been a very high hourly total in that 1882 event but I don't know if hourly readings were taken back then. I haven't found them.

I saw and heard media coverage claiming that New York got a hurricane this week but have not seen anyone correct that total inaccuracy. It was a normal extratropical cyclone containing remnant moisture from Ida, but of course the media propaganda will continue to list "Hurricane Ida lashes New York" as one event in the makey-upey list of events caused by agw, and nobody from the science community will correct them. The amount of clicks and revenue this flooding has generated for them is great for business.

You’re a great man for the speculation when it comes to downplaying climate change…

why don’t you just accept that the hourly rainfall record was broken

records only go back as far as they are recorded

before that we have either your speculation about what could have happened, or we can use model simulations to show how likely something was to have happened given the climate of the day.

Freak events will always happen once in a while, climate change is making those previously ‘freak’ events much more likely, and pushing the limits of what kinds of weather were previously impossible during the Holocene

in the case of NY we had 2 independent record breaking rainfall events within a week of each other.

btw, your grandchildren won’t thank you for your pathetic crusaded against the media for calling Ida a hurricane instead of an extra tropical depression when it hit NY

ffs. You’re angry about the wrong things

This post has to be a record breaking waste of time. It has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this thread and the link doesn’t show what it is claimed to show (corruption or lobbying by the greens)

I thought mods were supposed to stop trolls from posting random links that do nothing but waste peoples time and derail the topic.

I would report this but there is nobody to report it to

You should educate yourself. A lot of the results of this lobbying has seeped into your sub conscious, and most of the rubbish on the climate change ‘skeptic’ blogosphere has come either directly or indirectly from the lobbying and PR campaigns funded by these companies

Just because some scientists are doing this, doesn’t mean it is the responsibility of scientists to regulate the media.

Some scientists take on creationism in public schools. They’re no longer doing research, they’re doing public education and they are focusing on anti scientific movements trying to corrupt education to teach religion instead of science. In the same vein, some climate scientists have taken it upon themselves to take on climate change denial in the media, the goal is to challenge the media whenever they try to equivocate Corporate PR with scientific findings

Their voice will always be tiny compared to the volume of media published every minute of every day.

they started by correcting the scientific errors where they see them, but it has become clear that this was just feeding into the Denial strategy of creating doubt and a false debate, the PR companies don’t care if you disprove a claim, they’ll repeat it again anyway and invent a dozen more in the meantime. These scientists don’t typically challenge individual claims anymore, they just remind the public that the PR industry are not the scientific consensus and point people towards reputable sources of information

I didn’t see that Twitter link, I don’t usually click on Twitter links anyway because Twitter is a cesspit of echo chambers that rarely provides anything of value

The global scientific community publishes scientific research, and the occasional synthesis report that carefully summarises those research into one easy to read report. The latest IPCC report is less than a month old, and represents years of work by thousands of expert reviewers. Yet all of you so called skeptics refuse to engage with it at all.

instead you pretend to be mad because ‘scientists’ aren’t wasting their time arguing against Twitter links

The IPCC handed you the information wrapped up in a bow and left it on your lap in your choice of multiple formats with graphics and summaries and extracts and guides to make it as easy as possible for you to digest, and you haven’t referred to it once that I can remember other than to totally dismiss the reports for political or ideological reasons

you’re not a sceptic if you do not engage with the best evidence presented by the side you don’t agree with

Angry? I think you're the one who's angry, not me. I didn't deny that the hourly record was broken, of course I accept it. Where did I call it into question? I didn't. I merely replied to your comment and reminded you of the possibility that this weather was possible in the past too.

I don't let anyone influence my opinion on the science. I don't take my information from what the oil industry have to say about it as theirs is a vested interest. Likewise, I don't listen to what the media report on it because most of the time it's inaccurate and inflated. Theirs, too, is a vested interest. You won't find me quoting many media outlets or lobbyist blogs on a science forum, but unfortunately it seems to be acceptable to others. I note that you ignored the elephant in the room I highlighted in that paper you referenced about high WBT but that's ok, it's a tough one.

Post edited by Banana Republic 1 on

I'm not the one posting Exxon/Channel 4 links on here, I was just responding in kind to your partner in crime banana republic. Secondly, I've never claimed corruption by Green politicians, it was corruption/lobbying on the behalf of green industry was highlighted - in a similar vein to how br was showing the lobbying an corruption from big oil. It's actually sad I've to point this out - but then again, when presented with information you'll only pick and choose what you want to see. This has been a regular occurrence over this thread.

If you are so concerned about the modding of this thread may I suggest you seek to become one so you can censor stuff you don't like, I'm not the only mod on boards - there are hundreds others if you want to take it up with them. I prefer to let as much flow as possible as it helps the audience make their minds up.

• Advertisement

Danno said - “ Let's let you in on a little secret, the greens are just as dirty when it comes to lobbying.”

Then Danno said - “I've never claimed corruption by Green politicians, it was corruption/lobbying on the behalf of green industry”

Key differences in the first a second statement. #flip flopping!

I posted a link to the channel 4 news report on how green peace rumbled Exxon Mobil lobbying and misinformation campaigns regarding the primary cause of climate change. This was a response to GLs post in regards to what he says is media misrepresentation of the causes of climate change. If you were actually interested in anything other then disagreeing with me for the sake of it, like the Venus thing, you would have realised that and posted something RELEVANT.

I don’t know who Arkasia is and I’m certainly not a partner in crime on the contrary you’re the one pushing out nonsense and allowing others to do the same.

Apologies for not differentiating between industry and politics, it has been a long week.

"This was a response to GLs post in regards to what he says is media misrepresentation of the causes of climate change."

Are we not allowed to point out the blatant misrepresentation of climate change by the media? More censorship? It is unusual to see ones so highly certain in what they say looking for censorship of alternative view points. That to me suggests that climate change is more of a religion than anything else.

You didn't accept it that record, you replied by saying the media were lying and pointed at a daily record rainfall as evidence that they were lying about that record.

Ida was a record breaking storm, it broke lots of records, but when you point at records it didn't break when someone says it was a record breaking storm, you're just furthering the same exact obfuscation and denial strategy you claim to oppose

You claim to be open minded. And scientifically minded. Care to explain your avatar?

Co poo???

Why did you choose to upload this image and use it as your avatar?

You say you don't let anyone influence your opinion on the science. Well you certainly don't let scientists influence your opinion, that's for sure. Or even the findings of published scientific peer reviewed papers.

You must do your own 'research' and on your own, have independently assessed every single line of evidence relating to all of those strongly held skeptical opinions you hold. How do you find the time to post on Boards.ie? You're doing the job of 10s of thousands of highly trained experts devoting their professional and academic lives to answering these questions!

Gaoth, I can't remember the last time you voluntarily posted a scientific reference to justify your position. You're obviously too smart to need to reference peer reviewed papers.

You specifically linked to a prime time investigation into corrupt politicians as evidence that 'the greens' were just as guilty of lobbying as everyone else. If i was you, I'd just apologise for screwing up and take the hit. You were caught, And me and Banana wasted our valuable time reading your lengthy completely irrelevant link.

Or you could admit that your opinion is not based on evidence and maybe rethink if you're opinion is actually correct, or if you've been wrong all this time??

Your link was to an investigation into corrupt politicians. You're being completely incoherent now

And Channel 4 is a perfectly acceptable source for news. You can poke holes in individual stories or historically they have commissioned some god awful documentaries, but they are a reputable news organisation. But even if you don't like channel 4, there are many many other news organisations that can corroborate the Exxon story, as well as internal leaked documents that I have directly linked to earlier in this thread. Exxon, and all the other major oil companies are up to their eyes in deliberately misinforming the public and governments on the state of climate science. There are mountains of evidence that they knew a half century ago that CO2 caused climate change, and they spent vast sums of money on PR campaigns to prevent environmental regulations that would have cost them money and cut into their profits

My post about RTÉ was way before I saw your post about the records being broken. I actually then acknowledged those records and merely highlighted that Central Park had not broken its daily record from 1882.

Why should anyone have to justify their avatar? What's yours about? Or Banana Republic's. Does an avatar really mean that much? That someone's whole scientific approach can be undone by a photo? Sorry if it caused offence to you, but it's a mere rhyming play on words, as CO2 is seen as shít in the air that will cause the end of civilisation...

I didn't say I don't let anyone influence my opinion. Read it again.

I'll ignore your comment on my posing scientific references. Maybe your memory span is only a few hours, but there are plenty of reputable sources for everything that I post, as recently as the past few days. I don't rely on posting The Conversation or Channel 4 links.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

"btw, your grandchildren won’t thank you for your pathetic crusaded against the media for calling Ida a hurricane instead of an extra tropical depression when it hit NY" - Akrasia.

In other words, you approve of media disinformation when it benefits your agenda.

Didn't you tell us just recently that focusing on individual stations was a waste of time? Yet here you are, jumping on records being broken at one or two stations again yourself.

New Moon

I'm warming to fossil fuel giants. Because one thing they are not are status signalling hypocrites.

Question for you 'Banana', do you use fossil fuels? Do you practice what you preach?

New Moon

• Advertisement

What does 'Co Poo' mean? Only thing I can find on google is that it is a type of shampoo. GL didn't strike me as the type to be pushing the 'big shampoo' agenda, but you don't learn something new everyday.

New Moon

Advertisement