Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

We know covid is still out there, covid "still being out there" is what partly has this story where it is now, had it not of been the absolute uproar of people abiding by covid rules, when they learned that Varadkar and co were hobnobbing in the Merrion while the rest of us were (until the AG intervened) not allowed, is what shone the light into this murky affair, and has resulted in spoofs from FG leader, and deputy leader, one of which is currently under criminal investigation, the other could be due to breaking FOI rules.

The story has pretty much been rumbling on since it broke, the only folk I see as wanting it to go away, and describing it as "nonsense" are FG zealots. Even FFers are now wanting a scalp over this.

Could not disagree with most of that,but varadkar did likely save several fg seats and steadied the ship with last leaders debate in general election

(admiteldy his leadership put in that place to begin with,buti n terms of debate etc,he is quite good at getting point etc across,which makes his repeated stupid lying puzzling)

he is undoubtfully a liability and its utter messing by sinn fein to not seek his removal for sake of the country...they are putting him shedding votes and repeated controversies driving voters towards em,over well being of state and integrity of the dail/oireachtus

Him damaging coveney has given sinn fein its biggest political win,since charlie flanagan went on tv to call those opposing black&tan commeration 'sinister elements"

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Indeed, some of the restrictions because of Covid crumbled because the AG intervened in this in an unprecedented way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,451 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Why do you think that? I didn't make the claim.

I just asked you to back up yours. Unlike you I don't have 18 hours a day to be putting into this just dislike seeing posters post misinformation and conspiracies based on what I imagine are based on Twitter posts they read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Well said McMurphy. I have been isolating since March 2020 because of health issues. I had the vaccine earlier this year and it did not work on me so I will have to continue to isolate until a solution is found. Meanwhile as I isolate, I note this is the third time Leo has given 2 fingers to Covid legislation. I would love to be able to go out and meet friends in a similar setting to Leo and Co's shin dig.

• Advertisement

the regulations were set at 50 outdoors with no mingling between tables

All of a sudden ffg found emselves in bother and released (unprompted) AG advice,interpeting the law at 200 outdoors,even catching bord failte and vinteners association off gaurd.....thus causing covid restrictions on outdoor meetings to evaporate overnight (well from 50 to 200)

To best my knowledge,this is first time in several years the AG advice was published,usually being regarded as strictly confidential

What deflection? What did I try to deflect? It's a discussion thread you just pumped out "The FFG supporters on here" line.

Fine Gael had previously said Mr Varadkar and other Fine Gael Ministers were first made aware of the appointment on July 27th, just before the Cabinet meeting that approved Ms Zappone for the UN role.

Texts show Varadkar knew about Zappone envoy job earlier than claimed (irishtimes.com)

What deflection? As I said you have some Chutzpah. Deep down you know Leo and Co did wrong and when this is officially recognised, you will still be denying it.

• Advertisement

Frances Fitzgerald misleading the Dail comes to mind.

What is chutzpah? Never heard the word before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The sad truth is that Katherine will have her beak wet one way or another.

Keep an eye out for directorships and consultancy work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

FG did not want the election on Feb 8th 2020. It cost them massively. They were forced to go for a winter election by Maria Bailey who indicated she would not support the confidence motion in Simon Harris who was following in Leo's footsteps in making our health system worse and worse.

Leo wanted the election in April/May.

I personally think Coveney is very like Enda. He is coached to say the same lines over and over. He did it for Brexit ad nauseum. He was a poor minister for Agriculture. I don't think he can think on his feet. The caliber of politicians in FF and FG is very poor now.

AGRICULTURE Minister Simon Coveney took a government jet flight costing more than €26,000 to attend ribbon-cutting events on a trade mission in the North African country of Algeria. The Irish Independent has learned that among the functions lined up for the trip at the end of September was the opening of a supermarket in the small coastal city of Oran in the north of the country.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

What is Chutzpah? Now that is major deflection. You must be the only person on here to have never heard of this word.

Chutzpah is a Yiddish word meaning "impudence or gall." Bravery that borders on rudeness is chutzpah, which rhymes with "foot spa." If you have chutzpah, you say what you think without worrying about hurting someone's feelings, looking silly, or getting in trouble.

Not fluent in Yiddish I'm happy enough to admit. Enjoy your weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Coveney should be fired ASAP …. His lies, changes in stories … getting the likes of ag in…His enquiries regarding pensions etc on behalf of zappone… he’s got mud all over his hands and continues to dig deeper … no shame …any time any digging Is done on what he said it’s found to be a lie! Varadker on the other hand… cute enough … can’t see a reason to fire him really as he covered himself well.. anyways I feel it was coveney at work tryin to get the makey uppey job rather than varadker

in regards to Michael Martin… a scumbag that I’ve hated for years … smug shallow person who’s screwed the middle class worker every chance he could throughout the years… shallow rat … I hope Cowan manages to get the rest of ff behind him and eject Martin from leadership of ff as I and lots of others out there will not be giving any votes for ff while Martin there in party

Now that I have supplied the link and dates (you didn't seem to be aware of) do you accept you had some chutzpah getting involved in this debate at all?

You've accepted he knew when he was texting Coveney which means the FG statement was a lie. A statement they could only have made if they asked Varadkar if he knew.

So we know: either FG lied on Varadkar's behalf or Varadkar lied to FG. Lies were told, you have admitted it yourself, even if you won't say it outright, your lack of knowledge tripped you up.

What's your opinion of that? Are you folding the tent and 'leaving us to it' as another poster used to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

If we are in an age where the word 'nope' is turned into a recognition of the fact that 'nope' means actually 'yes'... then all hope is lost.

Political opposition is not a hate campaign.

Varadkar himself has no love for Sinn Fein, is his criticism of them a “ hate campaign too”

Katherine Zappone needs to explain the circumstances around her application for this position, we need full details of the job and not some reference to it only paying a salary of 15k per annum.

What perks came with the job, what was the travel allowance and is all travel first class,is a diplomatic passport part of the deal, what other expenses were to be paid, is there an upper limit on the expenses, can the taxpayer who is funding all this see the contract relating to this post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This absolute Farce is in fact becoming quite surreal.

We've gone from a makey up job to makey up stories. It's now pretty clear, Shenanigans went on re the actual job offer, anyone doubting that is quite deluded at this stage of the Plot. Instead of Coveney admitting what occurred, his breathtaking arrogance has finally caught up with him by what he foolishly believed "by way of an aside" while explaining himself at the committee hearing, namely he deleted messages from his phone has ballooned into quite an extraordinary state of affairs and has backfired spectacularly.

We've gone from #merriongate to #pigletgate to #smsgate to now #hackinggate in the space of a week.

The latest is "Criminal's" hacked the hapless foreign affairs & let's not forget "Defence" ministers phone, one would hardly think it was an order of nun's that allegedly hacked Coveneys phone. It would now appear other foreign ministers called Coveney to say they'd received communications from his number, this is beginning to sound like an episode of Liveline.

Whatever about the absurdity of the initial makey up job, Merriongate, this ALEDGED phone hacking and how Coveney addressed it, has become the story, Michael Martins tetchy response to it is even more remarkable, this is not melodrama as he put it, it is quite serious stuff albeit I seriously doubt it actually happened (the hacking, that is)

Are the foreign affairs committee to call on various foreign ministers to confirm this latest nonsense, I somehow doubt it. Coveney seems to be intent at digging a hole so deep, he could make his way to Europe without

the cost of a Plane, perhaps some good might come out of the Charade, Reduced Travel expenses 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Playback covered this charade very well. I imagine the FF meeting next week will be feisty. They are furious about the FG arrogance and double standards and how they have completely overshadowed the housing plan. The thrust of the housing plan seems to centre around an angry Darragh O'Brien saying "billion" a lot!

Love to be a fly on the wall at the FF think in 😁 FIGHT !!!!!!

But honestly FF leadership seem utterly tongue twisted on how to respond, I guess that's the nature of coalition government politics. The Decision ultimately not MM to make even he wanted to, its Leo's call (that's not going to happen, he's enough enemies within FG, including Coveney, despite the pretence) or Coveney doing the right thing (Definitely not going to happen, arrogance, Merc's & Perks), so to speak 😉

So, looks like more details are emerging, these were released last night.

The party was "to celebrate Katherine's time as a minister" coincidentally

The event was held on the day that Ms Zappone spoke to Department of Foreign Affairs secretary general Niall Burgess about her 12-month contract to become special envoy to the UN on LGBTI+ issues and on freedom of expression.

Strongly suspect the "celebration of her ministry" line as being a cover.

As predicted, more details emerging all the time.

Are we seriously being asked to believe that Simon, the man directly implicated in this Saga, didn't get one of these invites, and instead had to settle for a lowly "text message" instead?

Lol

The text messages were clearly 'reminders' about these invites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Targeting a party & organisation is not the same thing as targeting an individual as I’m sure you well know. The hashtags on twitter are not just ‘political opposition’ - is that what Sinn Féin call a hate campaign in which they’re trying to drum up violence and hostility against one particular individual who seems to live rent free in their heads. The same Sinn Féin promoting this who also opposed the Criminal Assets Bureau and seem soft on law + order?

I don’t give two dams about the Zappone affair - no one I’ve talked to from quite a wide age bracket does except the twitter mob, egotistical journalists and of course our esteemed Opposition whom I would have liked to support during Covid measures. But who disappeared off into the hide behind NPHET / Zero Covid cave. Only to emerge now not to talk about real issues going forward like Climate Change, housing, world conflict, post Covid repercussions, no to talk about the Zappone affair until the cows come home so they can try & damage Leo as much as possible. What a farce.

The 'poor Leo' angle again, everyone is out to get him.

Leo, the subject of a long running Garda Criminal Investigation because of his activities is the author of his own notoriety.

Now his activities have embroiled him in the latest chaos in government.

The questions keep coming. Why were obligations to inform the DPC ignored?

• Advertisement

I know, I've been in tears and traumatised over "Poor' Leo, the chap must be exhausted despite his "annual leave" with all this deflecting, leaking, investigations , his meeting with the DUP during the week must have been welcome relief and calming experience away from the horrible scrutiny he gets down south

Advertisement