Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Biggest mistake club ever made was leaving the greyhound stadium, it was up for sale recently for 700 odd thousand, would have been unreal long term for the club to be back there but probably never happen.. Still training in Kildare yeah, have been since the late 90's when Kenny took over, bar the odd change... It is always the same faces give or take involved, and the people in charge have done great work regards debt etc, because we have f all, own our ground and have the underage set up out the back, so solid foundation there, just the disconnect between local clubs needs fixing, but that's always been there unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

I'm not arguing with you about the lack of locals in underage set up, it's not right, and hasn't been for a long time, and good players leaving the town to go play somewhere else isn't right, but it's always been the case unfortunately... Can think back to the teams I played on, 6 years there up to the old under 21 level, from 16s to 21s,and with some success, we had on the 20 of a squad I'd say at most 6/7 from Longford, had 2 from cavan, 2 from Leitrim, one from sligo, 3 from mayo, and 4 from roscommon, 2 from westmeath then as well.. Its always been the case.. Was on a Kennedy cup team that finished 7th,we had 1 from westmeath and 2 from cavan on that as well, were they not local? More needs to be done, completely true, but it's not a new thing, just the scale has gone completely lopsided and that's wrong... I would like to see it fixed because

the talent is there and I believe that things are in motion now to address the issues, we just have to wait and see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Europa Conference League draw a bit of a kicker for Rovers, Flora drew Gent, Partizan, and Anorthosis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Tallinn were third seeds . Would rovers have been fourth seeds ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Another great night for Harps😍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Pleased to be in the quarter finals but that performance for the 90 was bad. Our very makeshift backline held up ok but our midfield and forwards were dreadful until McCormack came on. Coughlan in particular was really bad. Cork really put it up to us and in fairness they probably deserved their equaliser. We controlled extratime as Cork's fitness ran out but didn't create much however we dealt with the penalties a lot better than Cork did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Johnny Dunleavy particularly enjoyed that if anyone seen him celebrating after.

From no wins in 8 to 5 in a row

It was Hickman's first start since May and only his 2nd appearance for us after 30 minutes against Harps last week. I thought he did fairly well considering he was up against a tricky winger in McGlade. Crossing needs a bit of work but I didn't think he was exposed much defensively. He also lasted very well considering his lack of match practice. He made a great pass in extratime to Lambert that the Cork defender did a fantastic job of blocking. It's hard to know about Nwako so far as he's only been thrown one when we badly need a goal and the ball is generally hoofed at him. He looked ok against Harps but he didn't do a huge amount tonight alright.

Cork were very solid defensively anyway and Coffey looks a very shrewd loan signing. Coleman was excellent also, covers every blade of grass on the pitch similar to when he was with us in 2019. There's a decent core of young players down there, if they keep them they should be in the hunt next year anyway. I think this year would be too soon for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Some sad news this morning with the news that former Limerick and Galway player Sam Oji has passed away at the age of 35.

Post edited by johnnyryan89 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

8th and 9th in the PD win 4-1 and 5-1 against non league teams in the cup...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Mannus made two mistakes over the two legs ok but still made some great saves, he’s still good for another year.

Hindsight is 20/20 vision but looking back at the first leg we would have been better off playing 4 4 1 1 with Gannon and Kavanagh full backs with Finn and Scales in front of them.

Would be nice to see more from the academy coming into the first team, instead of going to inter, pats etc.

Team age profile is getting old now, need to freshen up next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I don't think it's a bigger quality gap, fitness levels are really showing. These days now you have teams who are at the bottom of the PD who are full-time professional, it's been evident in recent years that Intermediate/Junior teams are leaking far more goals in the 2nd half of games against LOI opposition

Fitness is a big part though. Longford finished mid table in the FD, but their fitness has got them results at Dalymount and v Dundalk and pushed Rovers. That level of fitness is a pre-requisite for competing even midtable in the FD

Maynooth edge past second bottom 10 man Cobh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Another awful performance from Rovers today. Bohs deserved the win, two cracking goals, but it nearly would've been a surprise if they didn't win with the team rovers put out. Again I will say it feels like Bradley has no plan B. He persists with that 5-4-1 formation even if it means playing several players way out of position.

We're lucky that there are no other serious teams in the league this season as I feel it's going to be a stumble over the line in the next few weeks.

the formation is what has driven the success of the last two years. Before Flora, they won eight in a row and four clean sheets, top of the league. You can't say it doesn't work. But it isn't right now. No left side is a huge issue given Burke insists on playing left footed on the right clogging up that side and Greene isn't a left back or winger and neither is Max Murphy.

I'm also absolutely sick of the poisonous theatre and atmosphere around Bohs Rovers games now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

wouldn’t surprise anybody if Rovers signed Michael Duffy for left wing. still going to win the league. Easily. No double this year though. Or 2019... or 2020 ....come to think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

There have definitely been coaches who have very recently switched from Kevin's to Shels , not too sure about a proper link up though .

Ive heard through a Belvo coach that they might be linking up with Shels ,however, I've been told by someone involved with Shels that they want to stay on their own so God knows what's going on .

Regarding the Bohs/Kevin's situation , I had heard of discontent within Kevin's last year about the link up . If the situation arrises that the link up is cancelled will Bohs have to set up their own academy for their underage loi teams ? Is that part of licencing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

• Advertisement

you get €110k for winning the league . Plus guaranteed 2rd conference league money but really champs should probably qualify for more. Should really get to group stages with current set up ( champions path).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How much does Talbot get for his call up? I would say he is cursing the equal pay announcement today. 🤣

Oriel is poor. But it has 3,300 seats. Finn park is poor but does it have 3,300 seats? Maybe someone can enlighten me why Oriel was confined to 500 last week and Finn Park was allowed 850 ( same as Dalymount, which is also poor) ❓❓

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think it depends on what you ask for and whos on the other end. Technically anything over 200 is a test event.

thanks,

sees very arbitrary alright. IMO Oriel could take 1,000 comfortably. Always hosted 1sr round champions/Europa/ conference round matches- with seating for 3,300.( I know the Newtown match wasn’t attended).Tallaght and the Aviva were used for later rounds.

50% capacity at outdoor sports grounds from September 6th apparently, should be good news for the League of Ireland! I'd imagine outside of Bohs and possibly Dundalk, most other clubs would not regularly get crowds bigger than 50% for a league game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Barry Cotter signs for Rovers after playing just 8 games in England non league over the last 2 seasons. Disappointing that there’s not more coming through from the academy.

Also it’s strange that Dylan Watts contract apparently ends this season when older players are getting long contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

According to Kilduff, Maynooth University Town were interested in joining the LOI but were told not to bother because their home ground wouldn't be up to it. Bit hard to understand when you think where the likes of Cabo are playing out of.

Maynooth Town FC and the University merged a few years back, hence the name. The university have a top class set up and they've used Carton Houses facilities in the past. So their training facilities would be up their with the very best in the league.

A bit of joined up thinking with Klub Kildares LOI underage set up and they'd be a very strong prospect.

Bit out of date (still better than the one above though some are questionable) 50% would be great (don’t know how to delete on this Shute new site

//www.balls.ie/football/power-ranking-league-ireland-stadiums-235489?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=web

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

How come they had to play their match in St. Francis ground for their FAI Cup game?

• Advertisement

As a Kildare man I'd love to see it, but having heard that myself over the weekend it got me thinking - would I even support a team from Maynooth? I guess if they were named something to represent the county, but I would struggle to get on board with Maynooth Town in a passionate way.

Joining up with a Klub Kildare side would be a very interesting prospect alright. Just where to play the games would be an issue!

Dundalk now have 6 matches in 28 days. 5 away.I’m no Vinny Perth but I would play a weakened side against with the rearranged Sligo match 3 days before the Finn Harps cup match. Nothing to lose.

perhaps somebody with more knowledge (!) will enlighten me. I thought with 2 players called to their national teams ( Latvia & Faroe Islands) our match with Waterford would br postponed? But it’s not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That is a GAA mindset tbh. Football is generally a city/town game with a few exceptions. Rarely do counties come into it. Athlone for example. Longford is another one albeit that the town and county are called the same thing. No reason why someone from Leixlip, Lucan, Celbridge or Kilcock couldn't support Maynooth

That's only for matches with players called up to the Ireland and Northern Ireland u-21s or Senior squads. Seems a strange one to me and should really be changed for next season.

Thanks just seems a bit inward looking in today’s world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

It's very easy to understand why Maynooth UT were knocked back if they don't have floodlights and adequate spectator/media facilities in their ground for a First Division license. Cabinteely at least have this at Blackrock though the rugby pitch is terrible as doesn't do their young players much favours

Might have been mentioned here before but is it true that Rovers are getting a payout every time Bazunu makes an international appearance?

Scales called up to the squad this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

True, the potential stadium isn`t in Maynooth, its in Newbridge where Station road is walking distance from the town and beside the train station.

Maynooth/the university has a big part to play with top drawer training facilities and scholarships but another university team in the league playing out of a campus in a relatively small town would be a disaster.

Also debatable if the interest is there among the locals in Kildare no matter what the team was called.

Typical league of ireland/irish football story with all the parts probably being there but it`ll take co-operation to make it work.

• Advertisement

Supposed to be 100k per cap up to 10 caps. The whole deal will be worth E1.5 million+. Presumably there`s add ons there as well if he makes appearances for City. This and the clause in Dohertys contract by Bohs was very good business.

Hopefully these are standard now for LOI clubs and the days of future internationals leaving the league for buttons are over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Its true, as it stands Rovers fee will ultimately look like being a total of c.2m (assuming he makes a minimum of 10 competitive starts for Ireland)

If he goes on to play for the Man City first team there's another clause for that too.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Good negotiating there by Rovers. Do they get a cut of any future sale price aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Given League of Ireland clubs don't typically offer long term contracts so the initial fees usually are quite low or even just compensation fees for development when players are out of contract I really hope that all League of Ireland clubs look at the transfers of Doherty and Bazunu and make sure they have clauses that reward them if the player makes it at the club they move to and also if he ends up being sold on at a profit. Could provide some much needed revenue to finance improved facilities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

UCD doing a free online programme this year - the September issue is up now and features the LoI being postponed to help avert famine, a rugby international on target in the LSL, the earliest known "Students Taught Lesson" headline and random other stuff. Downloadable at https://t.co/bxsu3yiZ8E?amp=1

UCD 2-0 up on Bray in a decent game, while Cork are 2-0 up on Athlone, so that's us looking good for the playoffs as things stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

6 wins in a row including the top 3 and Derry in the cup...take that.

2 great team goals and thought we were the better team.

Very strange card at the start for a shams player after 3mins. seemed to be complaining the ball was flat, on camera McNamee seemed to agree who passed it to the ref... Who throws it back and after barely any talk back, card...

Also.... Shams fans destroyed the toilets in the portacabin over that end, well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Mustoe’s goal was brilliant, and Tunde’s wasn’t half bad either, great play by Seymore and Webster in the build up. UTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's some result for Harps.

Ollie working wonders with that team.

Should be a good game this coming Friday night, NW derby again.

• Advertisement

Great to be back in Richmond tonight. Longford fought hard but we were just better than them. Some great goals especially King's in the first half. Darragh Burns is a super player, we'll have a hard time keeping him soon enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement