Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

The very reason why she hasnt said there was a cop in her that night was because she is terrified of the gards. She has said this several times in both the podcast and Jim sheridans documentary. She says she gets panic attacks even if she is coming up to a checkpoint still to this day. She refused to name this individual even risking prison because of it. Why oh why would she do that? Why would it be so important to keep this individuals identity a secret? She said because she didnt want to disrespect his family but she had no problem in doing it to her own. Why didnt the gards properly follow up with this individual? An absolute key witness in the case.

No one here is suggesting a widespread garda conspiracy. What they are suggesting is that there were a few gards in senior positions in the west cork who lead the investigation in the direction they wanted to go. Being a junior gard is a lot like being in the army, you do what you're told and you dont question so I wouldnt even attempt to blame the majority of them.

There was a sighting of a blue fiesta and this has been corroborated by more than just Gemma O'dohertys account of what happened in a time when she was a respected investigative journalist before she lost her husband.

Valid reasons why people think there was a cover up or at the very least serious corruption.

1) Loss & disposal of vital pieces of evidence. (Gate with blood smeared all over it, bottle of expensive wine not common in the area, refusal of removal of body to Cork general hospital amongst many other pieces of evidence)

2) Intimidation, bribery, co-ercion of vulnerable witnesses sometimes with addiction issues to paint an innocent man as a murderer.

3) Refusal to co-operate with GSOC'S investigation into the crime by the vast majority of gards involved in this case.

4) Looking to pin the blame of the murder on an outsider who was a good fit for a crime like this. Even at an early stage, they refused to consider any other possible suspects.

5) Pages ripped from the evidence book.

6) They have form for it, there has been many instances of garda corruption of the last number of decades where they even have tried to paint the whistleblower Maurice McCabe as a pedophile. Absolutely disgraceful and immoral.

The list goes on and on.

Only an idiot or someone extremely naive would discount the possibility that the gards have skin in this game. All the real evidence points towards it. You don't get severe incompetence like this from a police force in any country without a very good reason, you dont get the fact there must have been a pile of dna evidence left at a scene like this where not one scred of dna evidence from someone other than Sophie was found. Where so many factors ended up protecting the perpatrator. Sorry, it just doesnt happen.

Completely agree with you Jim 👏👏👏👏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

Maybe the gardai lost the blue fiesta

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭DivilsAdvocate

Can anyone PM the name of the detective that was given on here earlier please? Long since tried to find out who it was rumoured to be but never seen it mentioned before.

• Advertisement

What if Marie Farrell actually had the killer in her car that night unbeknownst to her at the time? I know she never revealed the identity, but is it known what time she picked up the man and from where? Has someone scared her that she could be seen as accessory to murder..

She has claimed before that the man who was in the car is now dead, has anyone ever researched if the dates match up with the dead guard.

I know she never revealed the identity,

has anyone ever researched if the dates match up with the dead guard.

How would they?

I'll have to listen back to the West Cork podcast, but she may have given a time period of when the person died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

Hmmmm......... a bit rich coming from someone who earlier named and associated a dead Garda with this crime based on hearsay based upon hearsay based upon more hearsay. And there is proof of a fire and shoes or boots burned by Bailey in the fire.

• Advertisement

I went back and listened, she doesn't give a timeline beyond the person being dead. She did however say that her mother told her this man was dead in 2000.

Thoughts on Jim Fitzgerald?

He was the 1st man to go talk to Marie Farrell when guards realised she was the anonymous caller and pressured her to change her story to fit Bailey in..

Accused by Martin Graham of supplying him with drugs in exchange for trying to get Bailey to say something incriminating..

Accused by Marie Farrell of stripping off naked and lying on a bed in a house Marie Farrell was cleaning, backed up by the Bandon tapes..

Pretty suspect behaviour.

On the Bandon Tapes: Ms Farrell said to Mr Fitzgerald: “You are a pervert.” He replies: “I f***ing am not... if I am, I’m talking to another one.”

This sounds like the kind of language two people who had a past sexual relationship would use IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Some people like to walk around naked, at home.

Traces of this John Reilly could never be found, probably a made up person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

On the LL Sophie's son seems to be saying that there is new testimony about the murder?

Strange enough interview. Pleading for extradition of Bailey under the pretence of France helped us during the financial crisis, we should do this in return.

Lots got lost in translation. Seemed a pointless exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭optiplex780

Did it seem that they were very sure someone out there had info and that's who all this interview was for? Especially the piece to camera. Possibly (rightly or wrongly) thinking that jules has info and now that they're broken up she'll go to the guards with it?

• Advertisement

Well there was nothing strange at all about that pre recorded Late Late Show interview!

Even Tubs seemed a bit exasperated with it.

".... you Irish, need to .."

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CowgirlBoots

Does anyone here know how IB pays for his attorney? The prior court costs he was ordered to pay? And also his daily living expenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

I feel very sorry for Sophies son - he has his life ruined by all of this. His english is ok but there is a language barrier problem there as seen in the interview last night. I wonder how much this has impacted his views - information interpreted into another language can be interpreted in the wrong context and sometimes plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Which is exactly why there is the need for strict constitutional separation of powers between the legislative and judicial arms of the state. Politics should have no part in the administration of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

That could be part of it, when you translate 'I did it, I did it, I went too far' into French it comes out something like 'I did this thing, I did this thing, I went too far' whereas in Ireland it is often translated to 'I had nothing to do with this thing they accuse me of, I had nothing to do with this thing they accuse me of, I would never have gone that far even if I had done it, which I did not'.

Post edited by MoonUnit75 on

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Massive Berevement

Is everything you read or hear taken literally? Are sarcasm, satire or humour concepts you are unable to discern?

Can you provide any examples of people using sarcasm, satire or humour while being upset and crying while physically embracing someone they barely know?

“He just seemed to have it on his mind - he just seemed to be quite obsessed with it and he wanted to talk about all the different angles and what we thought about it,” she said, adding that they had decided to leave when Ian Bailey suddenly broke down.

“It happened in the kitchen where I was waiting . . . he ( Bailey) came out, he put his arms around Richie, he was crying and he said ‘I did it, I did it’ . . . It was very clear and succinct,” she said, adding that she believed he was admitting “that he had murdered Sophie Toscan du Plantier”.

“It was an immediate recognition that he was doing some sort of confession,” said Shelley, explaining she based her interpretation of what Bailey said on the fact he been speaking almost entirely about the murder before that but her statement was not read into evidence in France."

A 23-year investigation: What next for the Sophie Toscan du Plantier murder case? (theworldnews.net)

IB later explained he was repeating the mantra they had 'drummed into him' during questioning. That must have been a bizarre experience, a detecting standing there saying 'I did it, I did it, I did it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Massive Berevement

Was that from the couple who went drinking with him the following day? Drinking with a man that just confessed to an incredibly brutal murder. And they sat on that statement for how long? Says more about them than him. There's no telling for sure he even said it, why would we class what they say as credible? But lets presume he did say it, it doesn't prove anything. He could have been messing with them, putting on a show for his own entertainment. He could have done it to get them out of the house. So he brakes down and confesses in front of them but not under intense gardai interrogation or rigorous media scrutany spanning decades at this stage? And the guards would have come down hard on him no question, he was always their man after all.

When you say ‘went drinking’, that’s not what I’ve read. From what I understand they were drinking in the same pub and Richie said to IB that he didn’t believe he was responsible before the previous night but now he did. It does not sound like they intentionally went to meet him, there’s constant mention of just two pubs in Schull that were popular, the Galley and the Courtyard so it would be hard to avoid someone who drinks in the same places.

IB does not deny saying it, he says he said ‘they are saying I did it, they are saying I did it’ or something similar which would be hard for two people to miss hear several times in a row.

If you actually consider it a possibility that confessing to a notorious murder in a highly emotional state was a tactic to get them to leave after they outstayed their welcome, well I don’t know what else to say to you about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Caquas

The suspended sentence for Leo Bolger was extraordinary. Our judges are contemptuous of the 10 year minumum sentence law which they rarely apply and which a High Court judge has now decided is unconstitutional. Even so, a suspended sentence for a sophisticated and large-scale cannabis farm is completely out of line with judicial practice. The judge's comment that the defendant was “perhaps trying to survive in the magnificent peninsula of Dunmanus Bay” indicates that there was little to be said in mitigation.

The prospect of 10 years in jail concentrates the mind wonderfully allowing Bolger to recall introducing IB to Sophie many years earlier in an incident so brief and casual that mere mortals would have forgotten it a week later but the mind of a convicted drug dealer is a wonderful thing. And if IB was never introduced to Sophie, he has no possible motive for murder.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement