Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden/Harris Presidency Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

When American hostages start being beheaded by ISISK or even the Taliban in the next few weeks Biden's already downward heading numbers are going to fall off a cliff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’s amazing where conservatives will draw the line on personal responsibility

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Only ~5000 of the nearly 120,000 people evacuated from Afghanistan over the last few weeks were actually US citizens and according to the State Dept , there are now less than 200 US Citizens remaining in Afghanistan at this point and they are in contact with most of them to assist them if they want to leave.

As other posters have said , it's not like those guys haven't been given multiple opportunities to leave the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

To mis-quote Kris Kristofferson, "Freedumb's just another word" for selfish stupidity!

Imagine what it took for those San Diego families to ignore warnings and still brought children to war-torn Afghanistan in July, placing them in such harm's way! Jesus wept!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If you like Biden or hate him, this still stands.

He is dealing with the double whammy of the pandemic and that everyone believes he intends to be a one term President.

He'll be occupied by Covid and his party will be occupied by jostling for position for the next Presidential election.

That's just political reality, his party or opposition do not matter to it. Internal Democratic party battles behind the scenes will be more interesting than anything the opposite do.

Once you compared escaping the tragedy in Kabul to a student flit throughout Europe you lost any credibility as a serious point maker here. Just more dross to be scrolled past without much consideraion..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

My point was 6500 is an absolute bargain for extraction from a war zone. My point was you wouldn’t get far anywhere on 6 grand. The only tragedy in this situation is that the Biden administration used Kabul airport instead of Bagram to organise the evacuation and they did this because they’re totally incompetent. Mr Prince is completely correct in his assessment and yet you expect him to work for free because of the tragedy or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

SNIP. No memes.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

• Advertisement

Mark Simone's Twitter feed was perhaps the source, among others such lowlife grifters.

Simone is known for attracting the more gullible and mentally challenged out there, among other less savory examples of human kind.

Overall he knows his audience and that they fall for any old crap, such as comparing trumps impeachment letter to Pelosi, to the Gettysburg address.

Much of the hypocrytical Afghanistan-related screeching and sQuaking from GQP Quarters has died down a bit of late. The House gets a chance today to get extract truth from propaganda through Secretary of State Blinken being interviewed by the Foreign Affairs Committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Seems Gen Milley may have engaged in some light treason leading up to the election. Be interesting to see the response to these reports

In other news, the Republicans are poised to take control off the FCC because Biden and the Democrats have failed to get off their thumbs to nominate someone to the 5 person council that controls the commission. Something that's easy to overlook, but which would have serious impact on a large swathe of the country. Republicans have worked hard to stymie improvements to internet access and upholding Net Neutrality. It'd be a serious blunder if Biden doesn't sort this out in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I see a lot of the Trump supporters on twitter screaming treason over this but you have to ask yourself, exactly how unhinged was Trump after his election loss that Milley felt the need to do what he did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Please qualify 'Republicans have worked hard to stymie improvements to internet access and upholding Net Neutrality'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

See the FCC order set up in 2017 and open internet order which is still in effect which was set up under Trump's government allowing broadband providers to segregate the speed of service at will (previous to that order they could not slow down any internet service specifically; all were equal).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think there is confusion on what AbusesToilets said and how it was written. At first read, it comes off like he said the Republicans were fighting for Net Neutrality; the sentence I think that was meant was that they were stymieing access and attempts to preserve Net Neutrality.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

His oath is to defend the USA not to obey any and all orders. It’s not treason to disobey an immoral order.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There also seems more info coming out today saying that Mark Esper as Sec. of Defense was also involved through intermediaries in trying to reassure China during the last days of Trump.

The feeling was that a combination of poor intel being received from China and the general rhetoric floating around was making China nervous that the US might do something.

Esper was basically saying to China - "Don't take much heed of anything you might be hearing out there , the US have no intention of doing anything regarding China at the moment" , he also delayed some Troop movements in the region to avoid any potential for misunderstanding.

So Milley may have been acting under some level of direction from the Secretary of Defense and not going on a solo run - Or at least he was continuing the directions from Esper after Trump fired him in January.

While I can appreciate the goal of trying to prevent Trump from doing something off the rails, contacting the US's biggest enemy in such a fashion is not acceptable to me. There's a difference between disobeying an order to launch an unwarranted attack, and conducting foreign policy negotiations behind the backs of the Whitehouse. The US military is apolitical, in theory anyways, and Milley has breached that pretty egregiously if these claims are true.

That's correct, apologies for mealy mouthed sentence there. Ajit Pai, the Trump head of the FCC, worked tirelessly to undermine consumer protections and block efforts to improve access and quality for telecom services.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would believe that there has always been a backchannel between the superpowers. What ever happened to the well publicised 'hot line' between the USSR and the USA?

There were several instances when activity on the hot line was reported in the media. The Cuba missile crisis and the Check Point Charlie stand off are two examples.

I see nothing wrong with Milley's action.

Is China the USA's greatest enemy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah its dire. You should be able to acknowledge Milley did wrong while also acknowledge that Trump was dismal.

Is it possible for a serving General to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom side-by-side with the Congressional Medal of Honor?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: A below standard post and some responses have been removed. Dumping memes and images is not what this forum is for.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Stop bickering please. Posts deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Next personal remark will result in a site ban.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Bearing in mind that we are working off the basis only of the limited information revealed to us thus far, I don't think the situations are equivalent. Those would have been circumstances where decisions had been made, they were followed through by the military, but at the same time there were also efforts to de-escalate the situation. In this case, to my knowledge, no orders were ever issued which would have raised the tension, be they followed or not.

There is no particular concern with back channel communication as long as policy is not being determined independently. The US and 'rival' countries are known to communicate often, witness the deconfliction efforts over Syria as an example, even whilst ground troops are running each other off the roads. As a result, I think 'treason' is an overly strong word, but it does seem that Milley may have overstepped his bounds (emphasise 'may', it depends on what was actually said) even with good intentions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

In theory, yes. The MoH (Not "Congressional"), however, has rather strict criteria involving risk of life so awardees are rare as it is. A general officer being in such a position today is almost unthinkable. The award to MacArthur in WW2 was an aberration I find unlikely to ever being repeated. Even Eisenhower never received anything above a DSM.

Telling a Chinese General he would give advanced warning of an attack is not acceptable in any fashion, and if it came to pass in reality, would absolutely be treasonous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He didn’t say that though, he just assured that there was no plan to attack China and he’d give them the nod if this was changing.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement