Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And you forgot the VRT. That will be based on what the Revenue deem the car to be worth in Ireland. If it costs €56k to bring a car in, it's quite possible that Revenue value the car at €66k OMSP, and you pay VRT on top of that. I think it is 7% now, with no minimum threshold for a car of that value, so another almost €5k in VRT...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

CCS is an optional upgrade you can get done by the service centre, in fact, the ranger can do it in your garden. The price for software, hardware and adaptor is about €295.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

It was installed by a professional and they gave us certification which we have to the insurer. There were no changes to the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

You could probably appeal that and get it back. But tbh the window for UK imports has closed. I would much rather go for something like this instead under 40k: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-s-70kw/28062991

Post edited by garo on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yeah, good point, the extra taxes have probably raised the OMSP now, last year a few of us brought ours in will full VRT refund.

As garo said, UK imports all but dead as even over there I've seen prices rises, the car I got last year is more expensive in the UK now and likely could sell it for a profit if I was so inclined (I'm not) to change

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Yes it's an expanding circle 😂

An ICE car that has shot up in value over here is the Porsche Boxster. Last year you could bring one in for very little money as the OMSP of a cheap one was about €6k. Now bringing one in even from NI (zero VAT) will attract €4k VRT alone because the value here is nearly double now according to Revenue. And bringing one in from across the water attracts 23% VAT on the cost of bringing it in. This tax is ALSO included in the OMSP (the value of the car over here) 😂

Because of the taxes of bringing one in (and the lack of much of a market over here), the market value has rocketed...

Yeah, our only hope is for Scotland to come back to the EU which is pretty much on the cards, fair Tesla presence there so more for us to import from

SoI got a Charging Device Not Recognized error on the car today. It stopped charging mid-day - was using excess solar on the Zappi. Tried a soft restart of the car and a restart of the Zappi. No joy. Then tried a hard reboot of both and blew into the charge port to clear any possible debris. Finally got it working after almost 20 minutes of faffing.

Most likely a problem with your Zappi. They are even less reliable than Teslas 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

If you can find one up North, that was originally registered up North, there's no VAT due in on import if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure someone on here can confirm.

It's still a very small pool of potential cars, but it's something at least.

• Advertisement

That's correct, it could also have been originally a Britain mainland car but once registered in NI by 31.12.20 also good for no VAT.

So I got the "12V battery must be replaced soon" warning today. I don't think it has ever been replaced on my 2016. What are people's thought?

1. Buy one locally and install myself - from youtube it seems to require a decent amount of work and is probably an hour or two of my time.
    2. Go to my usual mechanic.
    3. Call for the ranger.

Quote from Tesla first port of call, I'd tend to lean towards Tesla if under warranty and depending on cost.

Chatter is lifespan of around 2-3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Does that message mean you have to though? Is it peoples experience that the battery is shot at that point?

Maybe the battery just needs a good trickle charge from a smart charger that will run some reconditioning on it?

If you have one of those, just stick it on that for a day or so and save yourself the bother and maybe the message will go away and the battery is perfect? Just a thought, no experience of Tesla and its 12V battery woes.

If your battery is 5 years old don't waste your time trying to revive it. Been there, done that. Feck it out and for the sake of a hundred quid get a new one.

Can't remember now garo, is yours the facelift? If so, easy peasy job to replace it yourself. If pre-facelift - not so much, All of the frunk has to come out and then some. Still very awkward to get the battery out and the new one in and to re-attach all the connections. If you are going to do it yourself in either case, and if your car is out of warranty, I'd consider using a 4 cell LiFePo4 battery instead of the standard lead acid

No it is pre-facelift. If it was facelift I would have done it myself. But with pre-facelift it's a PITA. I'll ring Tesla. Obviously I can't be 100% sure its 5 years old but previous owner kept all records and I don't see a battery replacement in there.

It's out of warranty but from looking at US forums the going rate was around $200 with Tesla.

@KCross: The problem with what you propose is that Tesla make it damn hard to get to the terminals. If I was going to get at the battery I would probably just replace it myself.

If Tesla will do it for €200, then take my advice and let them do it. You will save yourself a good bit of blood, sweat and tears.

That is not true. You can get at the terminals by taking off the nose cone. 5 second job, no tools required ;-)

You need to go back to YouTube and educate yourself a bit more 😂

Oh yeah for a trickle charge I suppose you could do that.

The circuit is on a 50A fuse. That blows at about 90A. So yeah, you could charge the battery at 1000W no probs. That's a touch more then trickle charging it ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Got a black face-lift 2017 model s 75kw from tesla UK last October, with a 2 year full tesla CPO warranty and full self drive, has about 140,000 kms on the clock.

Got the ccs update and hw3 done also but its still on mcu1.

Am seriously considering selling and getting a new model 3 standard range plus

Was wondering what I'd realistically get for it if I was to sell it.

Asking prices on carzone seem to vary drastically from 45k to 65k

Any tips on how to sell such an expensive car, besides nice photos on carzone etc?

Hard to tell, there is a very limited market for these cars. ELM327 sold his facelift 90D late '16 earlier this year. It had a lot of work done, MCU2 upgrade, suspension refresh, CCS, CHAdeMO adapter, all new premium tyres and I think it sold for about €37k to a regular in here

FSD is very interesting, but not really useful here yet and it might not be for many years to come

Tips: good concise description, good photos, put it on DoneDeal, adverts.ie, CarsIreland and CarZone. Price it realistically. Best of luck with the sale and keep us updated! And if you don't mind me asking, why switch to Model 3? Have you driven one? Very different beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Thanks.

Yes driven one and liked it, is different alright but I do 99% of my driving withing dublin and think the smaller size (although still roomy), the newer tech and new warranties have me leaning towards a new model 3.

I've had things liek both electric mirrors and a door handle replaced under warranty but it's not a higher spec model, has glass roof but not electric roof, doesn't have air suspension or mcu2.

It's very hard to gauge prices, carzone has ones that seem to be priced as similar or more than a new model 3

Yeah Model 3 is an excellent car and the ones we are getting now are made in China, so the build quality is much improved over the cars that were sold here in the first few years. Also I'm a fan of the LiFePo4 battery chemistry and it looks like this is working out really well in the Tesla. And you'll get a brand new car with a fresh 4 year warranty. What's not to like there. The Model S simply is not a very well built car. There have been many improvements, but it will never be as good as a Model 3 that way. What is your time scale of selling here? I presume you want your new Model 3 in January 2022? Did you check what Tesla are offering for your Model S as a trade-in (usually crap as they don't really do trade-ins)

If your car was the performance model, I would have been very tempted to go for it myself. I really like the fresher look of the nose of the facelift model and I'm very interested in how the FSD will pan out.

It really depends. I would say those 65k advertisements from some of the car dealers here are ridiculous. But 45k is probably a bargain especially since you still have a year of CPO warranty left. Look at the UK where many more of these are on offer: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=price-asc&postcode=le168nb&radius=1500&make=TESLA&model=MODEL%20S&aggregatedTrim=75&include-delivery-option=on&year-to=2020

The cheapest 2017 75 is 36k GBP or over 42k EUR. I would add 20% and then some for the year of CPO warranty left. The more patient you are the more you are likely to get. ELM327 was in a hurry and had he been able to wait would have got more. Also post in the EV bargains thread here on boards. Used Model S's are hard to find now and since Brexit prices have gone up. So 50-55k would be a realistic range IMO but you might get lucky!

Agreed, the CPO warranty is a great sell factor but we really need another Service Centre or two as Sandyford now very busy and long waiting times

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tough choice.

when I was selling my 2014 P85+ I was torn between a 2016 P90DL or a brand new M3 SR+. Both the same price.

Ive had enough of the SR+ on loan from the SC so I knew what it was like.

I ended up with the 2016 P90DL.

it’s really a personal choice, there’s no right or wrong.

the only M3 that would have appealed to me was the M3P.

His car has 140k km on the clock. CPO warranty usually runs out at 100k miles. For someone doing above average mileage that warranty could be up well within months by next January when the car will actually be put up for sale by assumption (that's what happened to ELM327, he only had a few months of warranty). I wouldn't put too much value on that.

FSD is probably worth a few grand. But only to someone interested in it I suppose...

So should have value for anyone doing average mileage. Is that what you are saying?

• Advertisement

No, what I'm saying is that come next January there could well be 150-155k on the car, which means the warranty is nearly up for the new buyer, could be just a few months left. Not much good so not worth much.

Advertisement