Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It'll run some games decently, no doubt, but I could see it struggling massively with newer games as the next-gen hits its strides and minimum specs increase. Then there are the Proton complications (which already seems to be causing problems with anti-cheat software) and the fact devs won't be fine-tuning their games either control or graphics-wise for Deck performance (a benefit Switch owners do enjoy).

But I think people will be absolutely satisfied if they go in with the expectation that 'it'll play most games fine'. And the fact that there'll be some settings tweaking? I mean, it is a PC after all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's got about the same sort of performance as an Xbox One X, but it's driving a 720p display, so it has the same performance per pixel as an Xbox series X. I played Cyberpunk quite happily on an Xbox One X, so I'm perfectly happy that I pre ordered. Hell, it will even play Crysis.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like there'll be no performance boost from being docked;

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Hopefully they will showcase the dock, controller and any other accessories soon. Just to keep some hype going. It's not like it has any special launch games that are exclusive like a console release would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Phil Spencer talking about how well xCloud works on it keeps some hype going for me! If it works via SteamOS directly, I am even happier with my pre-order.

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/1426324572626845697

• Advertisement

I was planning on using this as a gaming laptop / living room console more than a handheld. Eg hooked up to monitor with keyboard mouse for FPS games but then connected to large TV to sit back and play other games with controller, eg FIFA or Forza etc,

Looking at the attached link and reading some comments on Facebook steam deck group, it seems the steam deck may not be great when connected to a large screen and is more focused on handheld experience?

Any thoughts? If you’re not buying it for handheld use, should you buy it?

https://kotaku.com/the-steam-deck-might-struggle-to-play-some-games-on-big-1847446128/amp

It's 780p, so not exactly intended as a living room games console. It 's main purpose is as a hand held games console/PC. Sounds like you would be far better off with an xbox series x, which is 4K at 60+ fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

If you're not getting it for handheld use then I can't see much point in getting it. It's expensive if you include the decent storage options. it's designed for mobile and 720p screen. Might as well get an Xbox Series S or X which is much better value and much much better performance and storage for a home console experience connected to decent TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It will run better docked than the Switch does and with older games like DOTA 2, Counter Strike and such, it will smash 1080p 60fps.

Something like Control will look fine on a 1080p monitor but really if you're buying it to play FIFA or Forza on a large TV, save yourself some money and get a Series S.

Thanks lads. I was really buying it for the hybrid of pc / tv gaming as my current basic laptop can only play very old games and I like playing FPS with keyboard/mouse mainly but then lounging back with a controller for games that are better with controller. No real plans to use it as a handheld except the odd occasion I guess. I thought this was too good to be true when I read it had better specs than a Switch but it seems the catch is that when docked, it does not boost performance where as a docked Switch does boost performance. So basically, a Steam Deck is a way better handheld than a Switch but when docked, the Switch performs better for newer cross platform titles due to the upscaling in the dock? (I have a 24" pc monitor 144hz + a 55" TV by the way)

Post edited by Jjjjjjjjbarry on

• Advertisement

No, I think that the Steam Deck will outperform the Switch in both docked and handheld mode, it just won't get the minor power boost that that Switch gets when docked.

Docked Steam Deck games will still look and run better than docked Switch games just because the Switch hardware is running off hardware that's nearly seven years old now. The Switch bump when it's docked isn't really all that significant in comparison.

But a docked or undocked Steam Deck will still only be (roughly) as powerful as a PS4 and if you're primarily going to play docked or tethered to a TV, then an Series S is a better option.

The other factor to consider is that a dock isn't included with the Steam Deck and will cost you extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

There is no docked boost so unless you are happy with the low resolution?. It will still be "fine" but unless handheld is the main reason with occasional TV use, you might be better with a PC and the Steam Link App on a phone for occasional handheld.

In saying that I thought my Switch would be plugged into a TV 90% of the time and to be honest I can't remember the last time I played it on a TV. There is nopoint when the handheld experience is so good. So don't rule this out as a handheld PC. which it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

I've always wanted something like the Steam deck. I loved the PSP and have a Switch, but it never really grabbed me the way the PSP did. Games made specifically for Switch are great, but ports are often disappointing.

If Valve work hard at making the Steam Deck work as seamlessly as a console, it could be as exciting as the PSP was when it launched. If they can get developers on board with creating optimised graphical settings for it like they would any other console, then it could be an amazing device.

If it can play older games like GTA V, Far Cry 5, Witcher 3 at ~60fps and newer ones like Far Cry 6 , Cyberpunk, Resident Evil 8 at 30fps I'll be happy. I'd be even happier if I get my hands on it before Q2 2022!

It's likely to surpass a PS4 as it's more complicated than just Terraflops: https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/687871-steam-deck-gpu-equivalent-video-card-comparison

I'm hoping to get mine in Dec, as I believe not having a delivery date with your order indicates an early first batch order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Homelander

It will also easily surpass the PS4 and Xbox One because they have bad CPU's which holds them back in many CPU heavy games.

Not sure where the docked Switch thing is coming into it, a docked Switch is still lightyears behind the Steam Deck performance wise, in both processing and graphics power.

The Steam Deck will generally be capable of running games at similar to PS4 Pro level visually, but at 60fps because it has a way faster CPU - or 30fps if you want to jack up the eye candy past those visual levels.

This is the bonus of the Steam Deck as well - you get to chose. Don't mind 30fps? Push the visual quality beyond PS4 Pro level and enjoy.

Prefer 60fps? Run the game at lower settings until you reach the balance between framerate and visual quality you want.

That said it'd be pointless to get as a console/PC replacement unless you were only playing older games. I've ordered one but for me it'll be for playing games like Fallout 76 on the couch or at a friends place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The switch docked comparison came from the person above saying they would use it docked. The switch gets a boost by using the dock but the deck doesn't. So they should expect the same performance in handheld as docked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I dunno, expecting performance above PS4 Pro levels seems very optimistic to me. PS4 Pro is targeting 4K resolution output, this is targeting 720p. Big difference there - I’ve switched from 1080p to 1440p and vice versa on my PC before and it’s a big change in visual fidelity, regardless of the settings. You might be able to dial up the eye candy or push frame rate on Steam Deck, but only because the resolution is low. That’ll be a lovely option to have for handheld play. Plug it into a tv and it’ll likely look significantly worse. And it won’t benefit from developers being able to focus on a single hardware profile and all the tricks that come along with that territory (albeit customisable graphics options will help make up for that).

Also worth remembering the limited power draw of the Deck. It may be a hardware gen beyond the PS4, Switch etc but it’s also drawing a tiny amount of power which will inevitably impact performance compared to a bulkier box.

Let me stress I think this’ll be a fantastic piece of portable hardware. But I also reckon plugging it into a monitor or TV won’t at all measure up to having a desktop or modern console attached. It’ll be a nice bonus feature to have for sure and will undoubtedly be handy in some circumstances - but you’re buying this for handheld.

Yeah I’m gonna cancel my preorder I guess, will have to decide whether I want a handheld. Someone may get bumped up to Q1 2022 now. ☺️ 😩

I was fooled (through my own ignorance) by the marketing into thinking this was essentially a gaming pc that would work as well connected to a monitor as any entry level gaming pc or laptop but seems now that it won’t. Pity cos I can’t justify the cost of a gaming pc where as this seemed to be perfect as I could use it as a home console too, making it incredible value.

thanks for all the info

An xbox series X is as powerful as most gaming PCs. It runs games like Assassins creed Odyssey, at 4K, buttery smooth at 60/120 fps while belng essentially inaudible in terms of fan noise, unlike a gaming PC. My son just spent €1,500 for a graphics card that has only about twice the graphics performance of the xbox series X. Both MS and Valve are selling these devices at a loss.

The mid-range Steam deck is more expensive than the recommended retail for the xbox series x; the latter is an absolute bargainin terms of price/performance.

>My son just spent €1,500 for a graphics card that has only about twice the graphics performance of the xbox series X.

That's like saying watches are bad value because a Rolex costs 10k.

• Advertisement

Luxury watches and computer hardware are not the same. One company makes Rolex. Price goes up, performance stays the same. Computer hardware, price goes down, performance goes up.

Hardware wise, even after a year, XBox Series X (and PS5 probably, but I've no experience of it) is still incredibly good value. Amazing price/storage/performance. And so quiet. I wish I could dual boot Windows or Linux on it. Then I could use it for work etc too and waste less space on my desk. It's just an amazing piece of kit.

My point was that you can't pick the highest high-end card that's 1500euros as any basis for comparison with a console. A 3090 or whatever is pure luxury.

Anyways, why don't you have a gaming PC if it would double up for work? Do you work on a laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Homelander

This is an extremely common misconception about the PS4 Pro. Almost no games run at 4K. Vast majority are 1080P, few are 1440P or dynamic resolution, and in most cases games are locked at 30fps as well. Many games that claim 4K are just upscaled.

Again the Steam Deck isn't really aimed at connecting it to TV's or using it in lieu of a console or Gaming PC outright, but it will definitely be similar performance wise to PS4 Pro. It's a new gen APU using extremely fast DDR5 memory.

Even as it is, basic enough current gen AMD APU's like in the Ryzen 5800H mobile aren't too far off a base PS4 and they would be a lot slower than what's going to be in the Steam Deck. They don't consume huge power nor run hot either.

Oh for sure, most PS4 Pro (hell, even PS5 and XBX) games use upscaling to get to 4K :) But the hardware is designed with that in mind, so will look pretty good on a 4K TV - much better than a Steam Deck attached via HDMI.

Ok. I getcha.

I have a work supplied Mac book Pro 2019 that I have to use. First world problem. But the fans spin like a hairdryer on it for the slightest reason. That's why I was thinking an Xbox Series X would be super cool and quiet as a desktop for a fraction of the price. Plus zero messing, console experience for gaming. Dual boot. Ie full Windows or Linux OS for work/ full Xbox OS for play. And xbox remote play for mobile !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so you should be able to buy something like this if you didn't get the top spec one but an SD will be easier to install and not much difference performance wise

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-WD-CH-SN530-M-2-2230-SSD-1TB-NVMe-PCIe-For-Microsoft-Surface-Pro-X-/334128620057?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Post edited by Skerries on

Wouldn't have the courage to do it myself but great to know that they're going to make spare parts readily available. Nothing worse than being stuck with a €500 brick because one of the sticks died.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I have an order for the middle spec deck for this side of Christmas according to Steam but finances have changed so won't be getting it unfortunately.

Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer a reservation for the steam deck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

No you can't transfer your reservation or opt for the cheaper model and keep your place in the queue. You can either purchase the unit you reserved when the time comes or cancel.

You could purchase on behalf of someone if they sent you the money, but it'd be messy and probably not worth the hassle.

Advertisement