Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

New study published in the Lancet points to Vaccines reducing the risk of getting Long Covid by half

Breakthrough infections were almost twice as likely to be asymptomatic in the fully vaccinated, the researchers found, and these patients were half as likely to develop long Covid, the debilitating, lingering illness that can persist for months or years after infection.

Vaccines Slash Risk Of Long Covid From Breakthrough Infections, Study Finds

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2021/09/01/vaccines-slash-risks-of-serious-illness-hospitalization-and-long-covid-for-breakthrough-coronavirus-infections-study-confirms/?sh=2affd7286a20

Well that's another big positive in the vaccines column imo

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sure we do boosters for kids but there's a not unreasonable thought process in some people's minds that we could end up with a series of multiple boosters for this whether we need them or not. Personally more in favour of giving it to those who actually need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The latest report from the HPSC puts the figure at 493 per 100,000 people up to 1 September. Just over a week ago, it was at 532.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Just heard an interesting quote from an infectious disease expert being interviewed “ The description of Covid as a pandemic must now be qualified, it is a pandemic in the unvaccinated, they are now the people getting sick, dying, and spreading the disease”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

That seems to be a false statement given the amount of breakthrough infections, sick and dying amongst the vaccinated too- granted we are told infections in the fully vaccinated are mild but when everybody was unvaccinated that was still the case- most people had mild infections. Couple of months ago we were comparing India to Israel, if we make those comparisons again today it tells a very different story. Would be interested to here the above mentioned infectious disease experts view on that. Seems the more we learn about covid the less we know.

Personally I feel natural infection is the best type of protection going forward- unfortunately that method leads to big spikes that wipe out the most vulnerable and overwhelm health services.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

So, let the virus spread, overwhelm the hospitals and people die is the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Actually you posted in response to me. And I did not "make light" of anything despite you claiming three or four times that I did. I did the opposite. I expressed my deep hope that the few vocal vaccine hesitant people I know (thankfully very few) are not going to follow a similar story arc as the picture I posted. This is not making light - it is expressing the hope that a tragedy reported in the media is not one I see repeated in my own life. I hope I trust we all share.

I also did not make the implication you have put into my mouth either. I literally said no such thing at all. In fact I agree with you about "being cocky". But the only person who was unfortunately cocky was the person who died in the aforementioned tragedy with his "Lab rat" comment. It was a petty throw away judgemental comment that was entirely unwarranted and unbecoming. The man certainly did not deserve to suffer or die for it however. I wish his remaining family and friends all the best.

I too - like others - would like to see your workings and figures and sources here though. Whatever the source is for your comments I think the most important word in your claim is "present". A word I would hope the source(s) normalize for. Because I do not assume - nor should we - that one presenting group is the same as the other when we evaluate the "proportions" of terminal cases.

If vaccination reduces viral loads and as such transmission rates and power - and it reduces cases of presentable illness and the veracity of that illness - and it reduces the time it takes the body to fight off infection - the fact that despite all that a Vaccinated person is still "presenting" suggests that their cases are more serious for whatever reason (unknown) than an unvaccinated person "presenting". So if 1000 vaccinated people presented and 1000 unvaccinated people presented - then my guess from the outset would automatically be to assume there would be more deaths in group A for that reason alone. Put another way - if two people presented with identical variants - symptoms - and severity and the only difference is one is vaccinated and other not - then I would not consider it a safe assumption at all to treat the two cases as identical. And if for some magical reason I had to choose which one to treat first - I would be going with the vaccinated one for this reason if I had no other data and had to make a call.

There is also the idea that at risk people may be prioritized for vaccination too. That will skew the data. Because the aforementioned under 50s who are vaccinated will contain a higher proportion of those risk patients than the aforementioned under 50s who were not vaccinated. Again therefore for this reason too if 1000 vaccinated people presented and 1000 unvaccinated people presented - and I had no other data to work with - then my guess from the outset would automatically be to assume there would be more deaths in group A. Unless your source normalizes for that.

So basically if the vaccines are doing what the people supporting their use are claiming they are doing - I would actually _ expect _ the statistic you are offering rather than be surprised by it. But there is a lot to normalize for there before the statistics give a true picture so I would need to evaluate your entire source myself before I really comment either way.

So at the moment looking at the death statistics solely among the "presenting" population would strike me as a red herring statistic from which we can garner little usable or relevant data, conclusions or even mildly interesting talking points. In isolation it is an entirely useless data point. It might become more illuminating with significantly more context and up and down stream data points - but on it's own I see no utility or relevance here.

I do not think it is a "huge coincidence" at all. Things like this certainly look like huge coincidences when you focus in on one single solitary anecdote. But the fact we humans are so easily fooled by single anecdotes is precisely why we have a science of epidemiology. It is the same error in cognition that humans made when they believed that vaccines caused autism based off single anecdotes.

A certain number of people in a population will develop autism in a given year. A certain number of people in a population with experience a blood clot in any given day. If said population happened to be vaccinated within that time window therefore then the statistical fact is that these things will coincide and that is not "huge" but entirely normal and expected. But if you take any one single anecdote within that data set - then the human mind has a tendency to ascribe undue and deep relevance to it.

That is not to say that vaccines do not cause blood clots. Perhaps they do. But we can not simply make that assumption about any one single case.

As you say though, condolences to the family and any similar family who loses anyone. I hope their obvious suffering is not compounded by false conclusions or bad data. They have it hard enough without that to contend with too.

• Advertisement

Yet Donnelley said the last day that it was 50/50 vaxxed/unvaxxed in hospitals, so you might as well give out about those who are vaccinated spreading the disease too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

If close to 90% of the adult population are vaccinated that stat shows how well vaccines work?

But those still ending up in hospitals is 50/50 vaxxed/unvaxxed, so blaming the 10% who aren't vaccinated for the cause of this is bullshit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭el diablo

Yep, the jabbed are variant factories. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in the coming months (flu season etc).

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

The 10% not vaxxed are mostly young. The numbers not vaccinated in age groups susceptible to to hospitalisation are minuscule. That they make up 50% of hospitalisations is a powerful testimony of the effectiveness of vaccines.

It must also be pointed out in the very old and extremely vulnerable, many people are now actually getting the chance to go to hospital whereas previously their chances were so slim they were kept in their care setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

If the vaccines didn't work then you would expect the numbers in hospital to reflect that and be 90/10 (or whatever it is). The fact that 10% of the population make up 50% of the hospital admissions is clear evidence that they do work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

All the variants so far have come out of unvaccinated populations so I'm not sure which idiot convinced you that the the vaccinated are variant factories. That idea has been going around the daft bits of the internet but it's completely made up and aimed only at stupid people. Here is the data of the origins of the main variants and you'll notice that all of them came from unvaccinated populations. The lambda and mu variants aren't on it but those are from Peru and Colombia respectively which are still a long way from even being 50% vaccinated, meaning that they were even less well vaccinated when these variants came about.

So now you have a choice. You can choose to believe that the vaccinated are variant factories despite the evidence or you can wise up and stop talking shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭el diablo

So why are countries such as Sweden and Portugal banning travel from the most vaccinated country on the planet (Israel)?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

It sure as fcuk isn't because they think that the risk of a variant is higher among Israelis. Also, Israel isn't the most vaccinated country on the planet. Even we are better vaccinated than they are. They did well early on but topped out at a little over 60%, in part thanks to their large antivax population.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The Israeli data will be skewed now due to some having 3 doses and others 0 doses (even Ireland has a small % on single dose Janssen which makes it hard to compare), they could reach 200 doses per head but still have ~65% population vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

The rubbish posted here sometimes :(

Israel are antivax now, jesus

They topped out at 65% because they have a very young population

25% of Israelis are under 12 and get can't a vaccine, did you know that?

100% - 25% = 75%

75% - 65% = 10%

Means they vaccinated 90% of the eligible population

How is 10% a large antivax population

I'm not sure which statement is incorrect. Ireland's age structure has us at around 19% under 12 (from the same site) and can't get a vaccine. Plugging those numbers into your algorithm:

100% - 19% = 81%

81% - 74% = 7%

7% < 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

What do you make of reports that the vast majority of hospitalisations due to Covid are in the unvaccinated?

See this CDC article -> https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7034e5.htm?s_cid=mm7034e5_w (from end of August)

It's a bit of a dense read, but here's one graph from it that paints a clear picture (ie. that the unvaccinated make up the vast majority of hospitalisations).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There are 3 reports today from the US CDC https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

“Those who were unvaccinated were about 4.5 times more likely to get Covid-19, over 10 times more likely to be hospitalised, and 11 times more likely to die from the disease,” Rochelle Walensky, CDC director, said on Friday.

It's 50/50 here according to Donnelly, probably has a lot to do with the fact a lot of American's are overweight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Is it 50/50 Vaxxed/Unvaxxed hospitalized with covid or 50/50 in hospital, who are covid positive?

CDC state hospitalized, What does Donnelly state?

In a 100% vaccinated population, 100% of all admissions, those in hospital and deaths will be vaccinated, doesn't mean the vaccines don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

What makes you think it's just overweight people who are unvaccinated, and so go to hospital?

Why aren't the overweight vaccinated being hospitalised in the same numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Advertisement