Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Minor issues? It looks dreadful and there's no fix for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

The site is running well?

Now you're just telling fibs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Well, you got 297 posts in the ‘Late Late’ thread in the “Television” forum here and a handful of posts in the one over there. Even the users of that “other site” would prefer to use this one.

This site is, certainly, working well enough. I’ve been using it easily enough the last while.

Granted, I do have a life so haven’t been stuck glued to a screen, in a dark room, cursing the lack of “dark mode” or whinging about the bookmarks but neither of those functions interested me on the old site anyway.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

297 posts?

Woah.

The old site would run closer to 1000.

That's quite the drop off... Why do you think that is?

Yeah the drop off has been shocking. I know I check in here and post here a fraction of what I used to pre-Vanilla. It seems its the same for a huge amount of other users.

The in-group mentality is amazing though. The whole Stan culture apparently extends to some Boardsies too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭John mac

any sign of the back to top button reappearing .. i remember it took ages to get it .....(many moons ago )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

So the site's ok for you because you don't use those features and anybody who wants those features doesn't have a life?

Hmm #bekind indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭mossie

There's so many thing's missing it's crazy after 5/6 weeks, hopefully it'll get there in the end......

It's an absolute **** show still and the main issues seem to be just things that are baked into bad software and can never be fixed.

Like you can move buttons around and people will find them, or have different icons across mobile and desktop sites and people will get used to it, and all that visual stuff. But when you don’t know where in a thread you’ll land on pressing a title, or where you’ll land when you press the back button, or a thread/list constantly jumps vertically multiple times during slow loading - they’re all things being ignored for fixes but are making for the worst user experience of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I know most here won't agree but I find it fine here now. I didn't even know what dark mode was until people were looking for it and having seen what it was I wouldn't use it. I can find my posts and the topics I'm interested in just as quickly as before. Traffic on the subjects I like is well back. The other place is stagnant with 20 posts in 12 topics over a 5 hour period last night when Boards had posts in over 50 threads in just over half an hour. And 30% of all the posts over there are from 9 members out of over 500 members.

It's not perfect here yet but it's certainly now useable and has a bit of traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Talk about curtain twitcing! 🤣 I've seen very little to no actual bile on the other site but people are free to express their opinions and be challenged on same, as it should be. There is no political / social agenda unlike those that have permeated Boards over the last few years. Anyone that is clearly a troll has been called out on it by genuine users.

Just because you disagree with someone or their opinion on certain matters doesn't mean their opinions are vicious or nasty, some people, myself included, simply do not sign up to the particular views that Boards tries to ram down people's throats by over moderation and censorship.

You are apparently aghast with the other site yet continue to view it, says more about you looking to be offended about something than anything else tbh.

🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I was a regular multiple daily check in user. Glued to certain forums.

Now I barely look once a day. Which is good in some ways as I was too addicted. But why? I think the old site facilitated a much easier "quick glance" setup. Vanilla just seems clunky on the phone.

Bargain alerts is one of my main forums and the activity has really plummeted. And it's not due to no bargains anymore.

I’ve had a look at the site, that’s all. Hardly “curtain twitching”. I was going onto the site not peeping like some sort of “sex pest”.

You lot keep going on about how great the site it, a true “alternative”, no moderation, free speech and how it’s all harmless content but when you actually go in there all you see is users, usually banned from here, railing against this site and it’s moderators.

Yes, mistakes we’re made with the “upgrade” here but Trojan work has been done by the team to get it working seamlessly now, bar a couple of “cosmetic” issues, such as dark mode and the likes.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Mate, you are talking waffle. There was one thread, literally one thread discussing the future of the site and its potential and that had comments about boards but that's it. Someone else started a "let's bitch about boards" thread near the beginning and that was quickly shut down.

There are people posting over there that have been banned from here but being banned from Boards these days is not exactly surprising if you involve yourself in contentious topics and dare to question the direction certain users and mods push their own agenda and viewpoint.

Many of the posters over there are well respected and long standing members of Boards.

You are railing against something you clearly know absolutely nothing about in an effort to censor. That of course is your right but you should expect to be challenged by others that disagree / know you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I stopped posting in bargain alerts because you couldn't be bothered to mod it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

I have to admit, your mention of "you lot" just made me think of someone starting off a sentence with "you people..."

And the only person who referred to you being a 'sex pest' is yourself...

Methinks the lady doth protest too much!

Look, it’s great you’ve all found your “tribe” and have a place where free speech and lax moderation is paramount but you’re deluded if you’re thinking boards.ie should be supporting and, actively, promoting this place.

Granted, it would be a clear opportunity to off load some of the, more, “problem” users but it does seem to be a place where those banned from here can be relegated to.

Again, as the fixes roll in, I’d expect the normal users, who’ve ventured over, to take their toe back out of the water and return here. But that doesn’t mean the “other site” won’t continue so no need to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Any chance you could all take this shite elsewhere, please?

Fair comment man, I'll not comment further on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Shilling me arse.

I don't know why I'm bothering with an explanation to someone who seems to have both an abundance of bitterness AND time, but anyway...

I am a member of both communities, and I started BOTH threads, the LLS thread is a bit of a tradition at this point, and, as with the Liveline thread, is quite popular.

Various forum members have taken on "minding" it over the years. I just happen to be the latest user to do so.

I asked on both fora whether people wanted one this time around, as the season commenced last night. Having met with varying responses but nothing resembling a resounding no, I went ahead.

As it happens, the thread here was quite busy, albeit nowhere near the peak for a season opener-I was pleasantly surprised

As the post takes a little time to put together, I simply copied it to both platforms. The other site, or any of its members had absolutely no hand act or part in it.

Do you think this site has a monopoly on discussion or something?

• Advertisement

This is the nail on the head. I logged into the desktop yesterday and on the splash page the number of posts there had been posted over the course of 60 minutes or so. Pre changeover, on a Friday afternoon, there would have been 5 minutes worth of posts to fill the front page.

While there have been some improvements since day 1, the site overall is still not close to being as intuitive as it once was. Clunky is as apt a description as any.

Like yourself, old boards was a massive time sink for me but today, it's primarily a cursory glance on a few forums I follow with the odd post here and there.

It's simply not fun to use anymore and no amount of future gloss or features will be enough to bring back what made the site magic in the first place.

Boards is dead, this is a bastardised and watered down version of what was once a great site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭antimatterx

So can we get bold / unbold for My Threads on desktop, or is that never going to happen? It's making desktop very hard to use.

Also I'd love pagination for viewing my own comments / discussions instead of clicking "more".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

I wouldn't put all of the blame for decreased traffic on the new platform. No doubt it plays a part but this is the most open the country has been since the pandemic began, people are out doing things. Especially on Friday nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

It is something that makes the site usable and something that has been DIY'd by @28064212, you can find it in the enhancement suite thread but it doesn't come as standalone. You'll have to use the suite and all the other enhancements made unless you know a little about coding you can just copy and paste the lines of code needed for unbold and place them into a script with a few script injector plugins like tampermonkey or User Java Script and CSS, not the only browser plugins available though.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058202721/boardsie-enhancement-suite

It's genuinely indicative of how horrid this 'revamp' has been that usability and user experience has been degraded to the point where forum members have had to code features just to have the site feature something it already had.

It's like upgrading the family car, only to realise that one family member has to find a steering wheel for the new car, while another family member needs to build a new gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,408 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

well I had that conversation and it has only made things worse. They stand over the deletion of the posts despite the fact that they clearly haven't read the deleted posts. by their replies they also haven't read any of my messages to them. a complete shitshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

When I use the search bar to find something, the first result is from 2014. Am I doing something wrong? I was searching for Netflix btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Only problem with that is family members are going out looking for a steering wheel and building the new gearbox when their neighbour already has a spare steering wheel and a gearbox built, there is also a big massive sign in their window advertising that they have what their neighbours need they only need to knock and ask for it. So really what it comes down to is stubbornness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭archfi

Yes, same here.

Very aggressive tone and what I believe is an accusation lying about it against me. There is more than a touch of amateur hour going on here.

I'm sorry this is polluting this thread but Niamh inexplicably brought the subject in here with the swear filter of another site which now knocks out a four word Irish political phrase!

For clarity - some mod deleted posts with the full phrase which otherwise is known by the initials in a thread in context.

Post edited by archfi on

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Neowise

The phrase grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre and unprecedented was paraphrased from a comment by then TaoiseachCharles Haughey, while describing a strange series of incidents in the summer of 1982 that led to a double-murderer, Malcolm MacArthur, being apprehended in the house of the Irish Attorney GeneralPatrick Connolly.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement