Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Kennedys or Iveagh House both in Drumcondra are decent spots to watch a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Trouble is a few hundred Tyrone supporters will have the same idea. If it was me would be avoiding Drumcondra altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

It would be of interest to know how many of the Tyrone team were on the Tyrone panel that won the u21 All Ireland football final a few years ago when it beat Tipperary. The manager that day is the same manager for the current Tyrone senior team.

Tyrone u21s’ beat Dönegal on the way to the final. It was reported , at the time, and in relation to both matches, that the verbal abuse from some of the Tyrone players was something to behold - comments were apparently of a very sexual nature,about deceased relatives etc, etc and delivered using extremely uncooth language.

i did not see most of the match against Kerry but I understand that Tyrone tried to ‘kill’ as much time as possible via apparent injuries when one of its players got a black card - stop/ start can be a killer to knock you out of your stride.

In the last minutes of the match I say a Tyrone player actually down a Kerry player to the ground - the most blatant pull down I ever saw . The Tyrone player had absolutely no intention of even considering playing football. His sole intention was to bring a man down in such a way as if his life depended on it , kill more time , frustrate the opposition , etc, etc, etc. the ref should have added on another two minutes because of it.

i smelled ‘a rat’, as they say, immediately I heard of the Tyrone Covid plea. In my eyes , the countypulled a very fast one. The feature in the Saturday’s Irish Times on the Tyrone goalkeeper - before the match - was , IMO, a masterpiece of deception. Eg the Covid thing was so serious/bad that when I turned up for training I did not know whether only two others might turn up for training

it begs the question if there is an un written culture in the Tyrone GAA circles of such actions so as to win at any cost and no matter what it takes tacit approved by management by doing nothing about it. So the Mayo players/management should be ready for ANYTHING and brace itself accordingly - and not get ‘caught up’ in the games- other than football that Tyrone play

GAA Hq should now consider doing two things re rules in general:-

(1) with agreement of ,say ,three players per team , the wearing of mics to pick up on any abuse being thrown

(2) using TMO - like as in rugby, to check on fouls but most especially on throwingmmmmmmm on the throwing instead of hand passing the sliotarmmmmmmmmmm sliotar. Not related to the above but just availing of the opportunity to make the point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Would you need to have booked a spot in a pub by now? Or will it be walk-in on the day and hope for the best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

That’s quite the attack on Tyrone GAA and I’m not sure the Mayo GAA thread is the place for it.

I never liked Mickey Harte but there’s an edge to Tyrone football that has to be admired. They revolutionised football in the mid ‘00s and brought a work rate that we hadn’t seen before. All of the top teams play on or past the edge at times, Mayo included

• Advertisement

That's what I thought. I live in Dublin so might watch it in my local either, I'd imagine it'll be walk-in there as it's a bit away from the city centre. All over to mine after for hopefully the celebrations. The neighbours are probably praying Mayo lose, they know we'll go mental. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Agree with this. While there's no doubt that Tyrone have been highlighted as having an edge to their game it's not something that any of the other counties don't have and don't use.

As regards the rest of the post, I think someone may just be looking to start a fire that would be a bit unwelcome in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Tyrone supporter here, and I actually just dropped into this thread to get a genuine interest into what Mayo fans were thinking about the game and I come across this post, and had to respond. What a load of s*it from a supporter of a team who are going into an All Ireland Final in less that two weeks as favourites following a 70 year wait. And this is the tripe you come out with...

Few things:

1) It was a minor match where the alleged incident took place, do some research before making an ass of yourself

2) The incident was investigated and the conclusion was between Donegal CB, Tyrone CB and Ulster Council that although there were verbals in the match from both sides ( and lets not pretend all teams don't do it ) it was not directed at a player's deceased father

3) Of course we tried to kill time when we had black cards, doesn't every team? We were playing our heart out in a semi-final against the favourites and were down to 14 men. Again lets not pretend all teams don't do it

4) Absolutely it was a blatant pull down, and not nice to see. But I repeat again lets not pretend all teams don't do it in certain circumstance. Note Dublin ( can't recall exact year ) pulling down numerous Mayo players at the closing stages of an All Ireland Final. Cynical is the word used for it and rightly so. Similar to someone throwing a GPS at an opposing free taker at the end of a match...

5) I really think it is unfair and downright hateful to speculate in relation to an illness that has killed so many people in this way. You or I have no idea of the extent of it and wild accusations should not be thrown about. I really hope that the reports and medical reports and all the information between Tyrone, doctors, medical staff and Croke Park comes out and kills this sh*t about covid. Brian Dooher and Fergal Logan are extremely well respected and professional men and I for one have no doubt that they had the players welfare on their minds. I believe it when I heard that the players almost fell out with Brian Dooher when he announced that they would be unable to field. As it was put he was practically taking their Championship away from them. Let me tell you this, Brian Dooher did not make that call unless he really had to.

So why don't you park the b*llsh*t and concentrate on a novel pairing in the Final, which most of the country is delighted to see, and discuss tickets, tactics, celebration plans like every one else seemingly is and put a sock in it you muppet. I have a lot of time for Mayo and would not begrudge you an All Ireland, but your post has now made we hope we beat you of the park..

JB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

I agree with some not all but the win at all cost is definitely true they will do any thing to put there man off verbal abuse is only the start of it.

We will beat them in football terms and or strength and condition is miles ahead us getting to the allireland with this young team will stand to them on the day.its ours for the taking we just have to put the plan in action on the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Absolutely no need to be bringing up s***e from that Tyrone/Donegal/Tipp game years ago. Especially in this thread. Move it along

not sure the original posted is a Mayo supporter. Don't recall seeing them post here before. I could be wrong.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

They aren't.... so JB81 go away now with your tripe and at least understand who the poster is before coming in here with your own tripe.

This person does not represent all Mayo fans. Definitely not me anyways.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Poster is a Dub. The assuming that it was a Mayo fan because its a Mayo thread is the ass-u-me line of thought. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

lol....Fair point I should have maybe researched the poster,

I am in 'here' as I said for genuine GAA interest reasons, my post was fair, no tripe involved in it. And I will not 'go away' just because you asked me to. Thanks.

I'm not on here enough to know who is from where. Fair enough.

Can understand your response to the initial post. I reckon someone just wanted to stir the pot, which they did with some degree of success.

I think you can see how genuine Mayo fans and more regular posters feel about the initial post.

It's lining up to be an enthralling game and I still don't see as how we are coming in as favorites - I genuinely feel its a 50/50 game and its going to need a massive effort from all the players and their sidelines for whoever wins it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

The genuine gaa supporter doesnt give a damn if ye had covid or not, the facts are that each team had the same amount of prep time. coming out like pat spillane did reeks of sour grapes. if ye got a benefit and kerry got impacted by it, then fair dues. but i cant see how it improved one team and made another worse. of the top 4 teams, i wouldnt be concerned about cynical play from Tyrone. we've gone 2 decades through it from Kerry, and the last 10 years through the worst of it with Dublin. fair to say, whatever tyrone get upto, mayo will too. id be disappointed to see any less that 4 completely torn jerseys by the end of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

It has begun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭C4000

On the tickets, don't give up hope yet. I'm a Limerick hurling supporter and a week before the final it seemed like there were no tickets to be had anywhere and prospects didn't look good. However a good number of tickets seemed to come available in the couple of days before the match and I ended up giving a spare away on the day. I know a few others that got tickets on the Friday before the match also.

Good luck to Mayo in the match, if ever a team and supporters deserved one its yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just seen the Claregalway hotel running a Facebook comp for two tickets . It’s so wrong the way it was handled this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

This is a huge danger for Mayo which is why I always say Mayo need to go out and dictate from the off. Play direct and use your own talents. There is no doubt this is best Mayo squad I have seen. Tyrone dont quite have the team of 2005 - 2008 but they will be so well drilled. They can win a match with less than 40% possession. Mayo are so well conditioned they can dominate this game so much more so shouldn't let Tyrone get them into a battle. Discipline will be crucial more than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Conor Lane is as good as McQuillan or Deegan. He made mistakes in semi final but Dublin supporters would say the same. He did give very soft frees against both teams in semi.

Deegan is very frustrating waving his hands around like someone swatting flies of a cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

Re post no 754 and resultant opinions, etc, on it, I was not trying to stir up some s—-. I was giving my opinion . It was of interest that the Ulster council thought that the abuse claim , I assume by Dönegal, was worth following it up. From a Dönegal perspective the verbal abuse must have been seriously outside the norm.

Whether it be minor or u21 changes nothing . It’s a moot point.

its of interest that some posters try to shoot the messenger and ignore the message. Any of my previous posts or for that matter where I am from should have nothing to do with my posts - unless someone pointing out complete contradictions or thrilling.

When I read some of the posts , apart from shooting the messenger, ‘sweeping under the carpet’ came to mind.

just how some can be so wrong eg I am definitely not a Dub and have no connection to Mayo.

having said all of the above I am really looking forward to the game especially from a pure technical/strategy perspective and within the rules and fair play. I gave up watching the Dublin Mayo match at half time - I was dipping in and out as I was fixing something. BUT I replayed every second of it afterwards to understand how Mayo won

watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

While you are entitled to your opinion its probably more suitable to post that in the general all ireland discussion thread. It isnt of much relevance to us here.

Mayo Tyrone matches in the past have always been played in a good spirit and I dont know about others here but I have an admiration for them based on their tough tackling style and their ability to consistently put one over on Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

At least we know why the cairde maigheo and season ticket holders got shafted mayogaa selling corporate packages of tickets for big money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

They're all sold out apparently. It was €5,900 for 10 run of the mill tickets.

I'm sick over the whole thing. It's hard to stomach when you look at the allocation that the two counties got. Then we'll be expected to shell out for the season ticket in November like nothing happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ah don't give up yet.I'm hopeful I'll have a ticket on Monday.

Keep asking your contacts,I always ask anybody I know who is involved in GAA or in the know.

Entering draws etc.Put an ad up on Gumtree,keep your eyes wide open on social media.I got my ticket for the semi final thanks to a kind Boardsie.

If I didn't get a ticket I'd head up to the environs of Croker and press the flesh with the supporters of the 2 counties.

Sometimes real supporters have spares as peoples are a no show.Check with the garda outside Gills.I've got tickets for others and myself by such hard graft.

I know same because I've utilized all these avenues in the past.

Avoid the touts!

"Anybody buying or selling tickets!"

Best of luck as I truly believe my fellow Mayo Boardsies are hard core supporters.

The resumption of the season tickets can't come quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Good advice seligehgit. I won't throw in the towel but I have to say I'm not optimistic at all. I know some good supporters that are without and who are borderline desperate at this stage.

I'm leaning towards not travelling on the day. Simple fact is there's half the tickets out there and I can't see that many spares floating.

You've also got the issue of being in danger of not even being able to get a place to see it on the box with the restrictions in place.

We'll see how it goes though but it's the strangest buildup to an All-Ireland I've ever experienced not having a ticket in the hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Yeah, I'm withouta ticket and facing prospect of missing first final since 89 (excluding last year obviously).

Normally I'd expect a good few tickets to turn up in last few days, but given its 50% capacity thats much less likely.

I've hardly thought about the match at all, all the focus is on tickets.

I was at Leitrim, Galway and Dublin matches and i know people who weren't at any who have a ticket.

They're genuine supporters, couldn't make some of the games for good reason, but its still disheartening.

Could'nt get a ticket for the Meath replay myself.

Totally agreed.

I've great sympathy.

Same as.Attended all the games excepting the Sligo game which realistically was a non runner.I'd have walked over hot coals to get a ticket.

It's a sickener to see the FOMO brigade who haven't attended any games scoop up tickets whilst hard core supporters such as yourself may lose out.

The funny thing is it may be a good thing you haven't had too much time to focus on the match with the long run in and sheer enormity of a possible win when put in a historical context.

No extra time if the game ends in a draw.

I hate the idea of a replay.It's never the same buzz and it's emotionally draining.More ticket searching fatigue.

Get a result the first day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

The selfish git part of me would love a replay. Chance of getting a ticket might be better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

The new Mayo News podcast is great. Stephen Rochford giving some great insights into playing Tyrone, particularly match ups and how to approach their defensive system.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Vish81

Eerie silence so far in the build up.

Opposition fans and journos doing their best to create hype that isn't there.

Hopefully we get no news leaked from the inside ,as any news is likely to be bad news from here on.

I listened to the Mayo are back pod yesterday, good craic, anything to feed the excitement. They did make a very good point about Matthew Ruane, that he has eliminated the two or three "ah f**k ya Mattie" moments from his game that were there up to this season. I think hes in line for POTY if we win

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Newbie20

For those disheartened about tickets, I’m a Cork supporter and was in the same situation for the hurling final. I thought it was a lost cause. But on I think it was the Wednesday before the game, I got sorted and loads of people I know got sorted that same day too.

So if the hurling is anything to go by, they might start circulating a bit in the middle of this coming week. The weekend before the hurling, I knew nobody with a ticket and I ended up knowing loads with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I hope you're right. I know very few who have tickets with most already organizing where they are watching it.

I only know one person who is going up with the hope of getting a ticket.

I think he's mad but each to their own.

have to mention the Meath ladies yesterday. They literally had no chance, sounds familiar? Goes to show that all the experience and history in the world doesn't guarantee you anything. Incredibly similar to the U21, Minor and now senior championships. Covid been acreddited to some of it with the long midweek and weekend trips now not occurring.

Agreed on the hype, its quite around, flags yes but thats about it. Aside from a few media and our local Knockmore ***** its pretty calm.

Going to be hard work though! The podcasts are making it even harder!! And then watching Meath ladies yesterday just broke me altogether!!

Thats shocking re the corpo tickets from MayoGAA. One thing I learned over the weekend, true or not, that each senior footballer from all counties in Ireland get 2 AI final tickets. Whether they keep them or not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

That's senior intercounty footballer, i believe that to be true! In fairness they do play in the competition. I think that's fair enough, every club in the country makes no sense whatsoever though!

Agreed on that, regardless of what stage they exit they put as much time and effort in and in a lot of ways I'm happy they do, well I will be when I get a ticket! :D

Up on 22 draws entered now.... I think I will have to crack open the communion piggy bank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Hi All, Just wondering if there is a good pub in the Limerick/Ennis areas that would have a good crowd of Mayo fans to watch the match with? No tickets for the match so the next best thing would be in a pub with a good Mayo crowd. Tried to even get a hotel for the night in castlebar or westport but all sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Breaffy House have a room available on booking.com at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Thanks but need something more central as will be travelling with kids on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Lots of people have mentioned booking a place to watch the game. My plan was to hang around Fagans before the game, listen out for tickets and enjoy the craic, then worst case scenario to pile into the pub itself for the match.

Surely itll be easy enough to get into the pub when the match going crowd head down to the stadium - anyone disagree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭sugarman20

Anyone looking to swap a stand for 2 Hill tickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Oh to have the luxury of considering such a thing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement