Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is the Aviva going to be near allowed capacity? I've heard there are a good few unsold tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'm surprised they haven't shifted the 25k. Saturday evening, lovely weather, first game for fans to get back into the stadium.

Think a big issue might be the fact you can't buy a single ticket on its own. I was gonna go but had to buy a pod of tickets so said **** that I'll watch it at home instead.

I have two tickets for Blk 507. You're more than welcome to have both for the price of one (€40) and the you will have a spare seat next to you. I bought two but a mate ended up getting premium tickets so I've two spare tickets now.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Ramasun

I wasn't a fan of SKs appointment as I thought it was pandering to the vocal but deluded LoI fans.

He's not really qualified for the job comparáid to previous coaches but he has a lot less to work with.

The comparison with Michael O'Neill with NI is fair and I hope we see a similar improvement in the next two years.

It's going to take patience though. almost drawing with Portugal buys time as long as we stop losing to Luxembourg and drawing with Qatar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I'd rest Coleman for this one. We shouldn't need him to beat Azerbaijan, he was a real threat to Portugal for 60 minutes and I think we need need him as fresh as possible for the Serbia game. Doherty was knackered too late on against Portugal, but we need a fresh Coleman more than a fresh Doherty against Serbia and we don't have anyone else who can play RWB to rest them both.

I'd also leave out Connolly cos these guys are probably going to sit back and there'll be no opportunity for him to use his pace on the break. I'd go with Robinson or Parrott instead. Finally I'd also leave out Hendrick. Played ok against Portugal, but his main asset is his running and energy. Again, we shouldn't need that so much against Azerbaijan. Bring Molumby in for him, or maybe drop McGrath deeper and play with three forwards (Robinson, Idah & Parrott).

Cheers bud but I'm in Limerick, if it was a later kick off I'd have taken them.

I'd start Coleman but try and get him off early. He's still our best player going forward. We'll need him linking up with lads like Robinson to try create chances. This game is more important than Serbia.

Doherty apparently wasn't feeling well so probably added to him feeling knackered. So I'd start Coleman and look to get Doherty on early-ish. Kenny really needs to be more proactive with his subs today and get lads on earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

The ball's probably coming back toward the Irish goal either way, but at least knocking it long gives the team an opportunity to organise defensively. An errant pass at the back nullifies most defensive efforts.

That's not being nostalgic about the old days when Ireland kicked the ball up the pitch seemingly as much as circumstances allowed, but it's still a valid option when you're tired and playing against a team who can and will punish you for playing a sloppy pass. Pass it if there's a pass on, but don't go too mad trying to keep it on the deck otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't think teams should be writing off Qatar. They have been building a fake national side for a good while now and won't be as bad as people think come World Cup time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Glenn Whelan has signed a 1 year deal with Bristol Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

First time in a long time I have a bit of optimism going into an Ireland. Next step is too get a settled side - keep playing them and should be OK for next campaign. Beauty about this now is that there is zero expectations in this campaign now. The lads can just relax and play.

Once a team shows organisation and a bit of fight, there is not much else that can be asked of limited technical players.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

What a lot of people don't realise with Qatar is they're basically a club team. All of their players play their football in Qatar and most play for one team in particular.

So the Qatar national team often train like their a club team rather than meeting up every other month for a week. There's serious amounts of money being pumped into their set up and accusations of child trafficking even with the way they bring young African and South American kids over to live and train them up.

I thought you were talking about Bristol City there at first. I was well shocked never knew there was another team in Bristol

• Advertisement

I've heard that first paragraph a lot and always laugh. John Delaney didn't give two **** about the LOI or it's fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Shows how low the expectation is for the Irish team that we worry about beating Qatar. Today is a must win but I think SK also needs a good performance against Serbia, even if we don't a result, to get punters back in the stadium.

Training wise there is a touch of Honved or some of the other old communist sides.

Ireland are a team that have done nothing for years in terms of development and have had any money we made robbed. Qatar have been spending billions and hoovering up gifted children from around the world to form a team built in a top academy. It's realism not expectations

People need to stop judging Qatar based on their FIFA 96 stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Are Qatar that much different to Saudi Arabia? They also seem to play domestic league players but are one of the worst teams in WC history, like even we trounced them.

Very different for all the reasons have been pointed out already.

Also that World Cup you are talking about is 20 years ago so pretty irrelevant now. Interestingly though we were good back then because that team was built off of an incredible underage side

• Advertisement

Yes by a long shot. Reigning Asain Champions beating Japan 3-1 in the final and finished third in the gold cup losing one nil to the USA in the semis. Qatar are spending billions sportswashing their reputation.

They ain't a bunch of middle Eastern nobodies like Oman are or Saudi Arabia. FIFA letting them participate in different competitions like the gold cup, Copa America and having them play teams in our group in preparation for the next world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Qatar are decent enough. I've seen them play a few times and they aren't push overs. I'd certainly take an Almoez Ali in the Ireland squad to score goals!

Arter and Scales do not make the matchday squad.

Scales and Arter are the two that don't make the match day squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

as I don’t always trust people to do it themselves before commenting on what we should do or win by tonight…Azerbaijan haven’t disgraced themselves in recent years..rarely concede more than 2 goals..a one goal win is worthy of expectation..more would be great

they seem a team that performs consistently rather than one that is up and down.

Does RTE really need a one hour build up for this game?🤨

Would have had Robinson starting myself. Team looks very attack oriented.

-----------------------Bazunu

-----------Coleman - Duffy - Egan

Doherty - Molumby - Cullen - McClean

--------------Parrott - Idah - Connolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wouldn’t have McClean anywhere near the starting lineup.

My only thinking is Coleman is gonna be joining in with attacks even from CB and McClean is probably in just as someone to cover defensively.

McGrath, Robinson, and Horgan should be three lads brought on once Azerbaijan legs start to tire. Only worry is Doherty playing a full match and then being asked again to play against Serbia. I know the man is fit as a fiddle but hasn't been playing for Spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I hope it's not Doherty on the left again. Wondering who is on set-piece duty as I figured Hourihane would start for that reason.

There is a danger we'll have players like McClean, Brady and Hendrick loitering around the squad on the back of distant performances or experience over the next couple of years despite the fact none have delivered for us in years.

If it's a new era clear the decks.

Unless it's a back four then Doherty is more than likely RWB. Yeah I'm wondering who will take set pieces. Don't think there's anyone there I can remember taking set pieces. Possibly Cullen could be taking corners or long frees into the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Indeed he doesn't.

I'd wager Delaney saw Kenny as an affordable stopgap in the absence of a sugar daddy like Dinny. He probably hoped someone else would eventually fill that void and provide the necessary funds for another big name appointment to keep the fans onside. And keeping the gravy train on the rails, as it were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Doesn’t look like it will be - thought Doherty was excellent the last day though.

McClean is on the Left. Doherty on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Media consensus is that a poor performance and win will suffice now.

Interesting to see what we will do if we have the ball a lot. Hoping Idah plays as well today, as last week. He was my MOTM.

Early goal to calm my nerves would be nice - even off Connolly's arse will do me.

I can't believe he's starting McClean. Particularly after how bad he was when he came on the other night.

Let's hope Idah, Connolly, Parrott can link up like they did for the 21s.

The woman on the panel on RTE really slated McClean earlier for both goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Coleman in the back 3 apparently with McClean on the left and Doherty on the right.

Yup all creativity through midfield and on the right. Headless chicken stuff on the left.

(P.S I don't mean to be harsh on McClean, I know he works his socks off)

Who was our player drinking the can of Red Bull there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That Azerbaijan anthem reminds me of the Harry Potter theme.

A note to GAA fans watching. That's how you respect the national anthem. Stop acting like the last line is irrelevant. Always bugged me that they just disregard the last line in GAA(Munster hurling is worse than the rest but its widely ignored just higher percentage down south).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lol

not exactly the first post I expected to read

• Advertisement

Not overly excited to see McClean out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hopefully parrot and Idah can bag a few for confidence.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Unreal by Idah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

That was beautiful from Idah

Bright start, Azerbaijan standing off and giving us plenty of space to play in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement