Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Kenny would resign if he had any shame.

He is completely out of his depth and cursed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Stephen Staunton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think she's excellent, really clear she understands the game and sees just what's happening out there.

Kenny isn't fit to lace his boots.

Unfortunately the bar is incredibly low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

And all the BS he brings with him. Not the place to discuss but a lot to be said for someone who does their job and keeps the head down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thepogues

You'd have to say there's a reason a lot of these players aren't getting minutes with their club. Outside of our manager there's a whole lot of work to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

After a few games of Big Sam longball people will be calling for his head as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Normal service returned - We are so far of the standard required , see little hope , from someone who grew up with quality Irish teams, cant see those days returning anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Why would he want the Ireland job? What are the FAI going to pay him with? Leave Kenny in for this campaign and the next one then revaluate after that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's the sad truth of things. I don't think any side in Europe is gonna look at the squad and be too worried.

None of these players are even the top man at the average sides they play for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Caught the last 35 minutes of the match. Embarrassing.

McClean - it's puzzling how he is even in the squad, but for him to be starting and playing 90 minutes is absurd. All he is a burst of energy for 5 seconds followed by a blocked cross attempt or a pass back. Truly the worst player in our squad currently.

Horgan - constantly gets away with criticism, but he is another conman like McClean who has no business playing international football.

Hourihane - lazy, uninterested, combined with the inability to pass a football.

Bazunu - a liability at present. Not ready for international football. Needs to be dropped.

I enjoyed the performance against Portugal but even on a bad day we should be beating teams like Azerbaijan at home. We're a laughing stock in world football right now.

Kenny out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Qualification over? Why do people keep going on about qualification. We had all but no chance of qualification before the group started. Of all the things to use to beat Kenny I find this of the stranger things. Did people actually think we'd finish ahead of Portugal and Serbia? Genuine question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

Idah speaks well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What planet is he on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ireland played with a bit of nous against Portugal, but it's now looking like that result was one of those unexpectedly good away performances that the team sometimes musters, and they still lost that match. But, true to form, they deliver a listless home performance to accompany that, except that where that was once a 0-0 against Slovakia or other average European opposition, it's struggling to get a 1-1 against a minnow who scored first, and needing Duffy (once again) to rescue the situation. I had expressed some optimism after the Portugal game. It now seems that this expression was premature. Kenny will be feeling huge pressure after this. He has to give us some indication that he can deliver a result by the time this campaign is over or else he's gone. No problem with him staying 'til the end of the campaign, though, as the campaign is a complete write off. Never seen it anywhere near this bad in all my time watching Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Chris Hughton will likely be gone from Forest soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I can't believe people here are seriously suggesting Sam Allardyce.

Enough Boards for me for today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Acosta

I'm not anti Kenny, but I couldn't understand the clamour in the media on Wednesday morning to give him a new contract. At this stage let's just see where we are at the end of the group in terms of progress. We're going nowhere fast though and only seem to play well when we're not expected to win. He got his selection badly wrong tonight I think.

We can only hope a few of these young lads can kick on for their clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

we will have a great game against serbia. we play better against decent teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Are you trying to compare the England squad to the Irish one? Gareth Southgate is a limited manager who is blessed with a very talented squad. Completely ridiculous comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Chris Hughton will likely be out of a job soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Good week for the Taliban!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Stan had a decent squad at least. for the rest of the qualifiers I'd rather keep Kenny to see how things pan out. I'd hate to see get Big Sam or Lennon get the job

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And this is because of the dinosaurs we have had as managers.

Declan Rice should be on that pitch, but MON couldn't even trust him against f*cking Moldova.

Same old nonsense of not trusting players and going with the same tried and tested failures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The stone age where would win more than 1/16 games?

Perish the thought indeed.

This progressive aimlessness is the future. Until Kenny remembers Egan/Duffy headers are our best tactic to actually score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Expect to finish above them? No, but we expect in this country to give it a go, as we have done in previous campaigns.

Trap went because in his last campaign we weren't even close to a play-off spot.

We're 5 points behind Luxembourg for pity's sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Former underage coach Paul Clement is out of work.

Big Sam & Tony Pulis are out of work and are hardly going to get another club job.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Kenny is probably a nice fella, but he comes across as having the personality and charisma of a head of cabbage. He is obviously having no effect on lads that are used of having stronger characters in their club managers. We dont have the players Portugal or Serbia have but do we honestly mean yo say we dont have better players than Luxembourg and Azerbaijan!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Didn’t guardiola say he wanted a go at international football management ? Could be worth giving him a call ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Is there any level of performance/results where you would stop supporting Kenny? Would you be happy enough if we finish 2nd last in group or is even last good enough?

I want us to play better and get results here and there but I don't even think Kenny has a clue what his starting lineup favoured formation after 16 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Just so I'm straight, the case for him staying is that he's a League of Ireland legend, who is 'progressive' and promotes youth, despite being incapable of getting a win at this level, even against dross?

The FAI has to answer for most of the state of the national team, but Kenny is out of his depth. It's clear.

Portugal was superb in a sense, but there's been nothing else encouraging bar the simple fact he has young players in the team.

It's all John Delaney's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Mother of christ.

What the f**k has Paul Clement ever done apart from get Jose Mourinho his coffee in the morning? He failed miserably at Reading and Brugge. His Brugge team was rancid to watch.

As for the other two suggestions, just shoot me now before I have to see Big Sam or Tony f*cking Pulis in the dugout.

You have to question how much football some people actually watch with the takes they have on the Irish NT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I’m liking Lisa Fallon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Same old same old. Where does the goal come from?

Answer: Duffy if we're lucky. If not, nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Ooh, that's a difficult competition question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The way Kenny was celebrating after Duffy's equaliser is embarrassing. It's Azerbaijan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Fatigue???????

fcuk off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Kenny is probably gone I'd say but the last thing we need is a Big Sam type. We need an Irish coach that actually gives a sh!te about the national team. I don't think a change is going to do anything though being realistic. We have the worst calibre of player we've ever had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I like Kevin Doyle's funeral attire. Apt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Really don't want want to be too overly critical of Kenny & the players but it's becoming harder.

There is definitely some progress that we can see and reasons for optimism but I fear that it's not enough.

I like what he is trying to do with the culture shift and the young players etc but football is a results business and the home games especially have been very poor.

Definitely let him see out the campaign at least anyways and see how things progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Whats up with Kenny's haircut , it looks like something out of the Young Offenders.

He could try to look the part anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was mostly joking about Allardyce, but Jesus there's a massive lack of realistic alternatives to Kenny.

• Advertisement

Idk if this is meant to be a joke, but as a totem to represent the FAI's general disregard for developing the domestic game and the effects that's had on the quality of player coming through now that the English system isn't developing them for us anymore, Delany's actually quite a good shout.

It's very typical of an Irish team, complete underdogs, to get a moral victory, like against Portugal.

But put the favourites tag on and it's a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Question management all you like, reality is we should have won that game but poor finishing has cost us again. Kenny can’t stand on the pitch and put the ball in the net himself, it’s been the same in every game. We have no finishers in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I don't know what to think but I am still on for Kenny staying.

Results have been pretty poor but I'm starting to enjoy Ireland games for the first time in a long time.

For so long watching Ireland was a chore.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement