Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Really saying that when a National Team loses a certain amount of games, their fans call for the managers head or he has the decency to resign, In ireland, there seems to be people who will defend kenny regardless of being winless in one of the easiest qualifying groups.

Enough is enough, we've to wait until 2024 qualifiers for him to go, nothing will change and he still probably won't have won a competitive game by then either.

He's a lame duck manager

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Why are you incapable of understanding that Kenny is being forced to bring through an entire new generation, because every other manager all the way back to Trap wouldn't give any player outside of the select chosen few a chance?

This is a complete rebuild. Yes these results are not good enough. However, there were more than enough chances to win that game today, long before we ever scored.

Who is going to make a goalscorer out of all of those players out there? Why do none of those calling for Kenny's head understand this?

It's not as simple as 'sack the manager and everything will be grand'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Depending on Wednesday goal difference could actually put us below Azerbaijan.

Some people really need to remember this isnt rhytmic gymnastics. You dont win games by style/possession.

So no matter how pretty and enjoyable Kenny's fans find loosing to Luxembourg or drawing with Azerbaijan the majority see it for the disgrace it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

He certainly has his fingerprint on this disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Firstly and realistically who would want the job and secondly the FAI is nearly bankrupt so who could they afford to pay to do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

He should indeed be happy. Just not jumping up and down like we've scored the winner in a World Cup final.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Pray tell, who is going to come in and revolutionise us with this current set of players?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

It's exactly what I mean. BS and hubris before basic development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Kenny has to go. He cannot give players belief to win or score at this level. It was same at Dunfermline. He relegated them and left them on verge third tier of Scottish football. This is what Kenny does. He drags teams down to lowest level ever. He cannot win or score outside of league of Ireland. Media are covering up for him. He is not good enough manager at this level. Martin O Neill gave the players the belief to beat Germany Italy Austria Bosnia Wales and draw with England and Sweden. Under this manager he doesn't give them the belief to win against anyone. He is not good enough manager at this level. That is reality. Kenny has to go. Chris Hughton manager with Lee Carlsey assistant with Stephen Reid as part of the backroom team. They are the outstanding candidates for the job. Let's get Hughton in and Carlsey to build for Euros. Kenny is getting away with murder because he is local lad. This is elite sport. Excuses after Excuses for him. It's not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

We have no finishers and a midfield featuring a premier league bench warmer, a lad playing in Premier League 2, an over-the-hill league one winger and Cullen who is the pick of a very bad bunch.

I'm gobsmacked that people still have not come to terms with how bad a place Irish football is in at the minute talent-wise and continue to put all the blame at Kenny's door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Showing a load of crosses now reminiscent of Big Jack’s side v Liechtenstein 0-0 1995 away no creativity. A lot worse players for Ireland now in fairness.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I'd agree with that but after 16 games in charge we need to be seeing progress but if anything we're looking worse.

We have introduce a load of players that probably aren't fully ready yet and to do that I think you need a defined system so players know what each role in the team requires but we're chopping and changing the system and players far too much.

I'd give him till the end of the campaign but there needs to be signs he is actually improving things by that point or he needs to go. No way we should be considering a new contract untill the end of the campaign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What is the actual argument for keeping him at this stage? All I can see is some people convincing themselves there is nobody that can do a better job. Really? No coach out there can come up with a better record than 1 win in 15, 6 draws, and 8 defeats. Win percentage of under 7%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Robinson has to start vs Serbia. We carried much more of a threat with him in and around the box.

Connolly and Parrott are very ordinary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

There are many valid angles to attack Kenny without resorting to "He's too happy when we scored an equaliser."

It's beyond minor, mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This is how I feel. Team is actually playing some nice stuff at times, that’s got to be credited to Kenny. The best thing about O Neill and Trap games was seeing the result but the football was like licking nettles.

But even as a rebuild , results need to improve before the Euros. This group of players are not “lose to Luxembourg, draw with Azerbaijan” level, don’t Care what anybody tries to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the manager is in hiding

pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Who gave a good game to Ronaldo, Bruno Fernandes, Jota, Ruben Diaz etc etc. Champions League final pedigree

And just like our players clubs doesn’t stop them performing against the big boys, the Azerbaijan lads are all playing domestically. So you can’t use that excuse either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

And Azerbaijan and Luxembourg have all these great players at their disposal? When did their leagues become better then the championship?

Im not calling for Kennys head but some of the stuff people are posting is silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Too many players in the squad are bit/squad players at their mediocre clubs. There was a time we had genuine international, and indeed world, class players wearing the green. Those days are long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Sam would definitely do it for the right price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

What really let us down was basic defending, which requires no serious skill. Closing down the shot for goal etc. That would kill ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

People can argue the talent isn't there all they like but the way we approach the games against teams of similar level and below is awful. Any time Azerbaijan where put under even a slight bit a pressure they gave us the ball but we pressed them maybe five times as a group. It's all too slow and passive against poorer and similar matched teams. That's on the manager, he doesn't set us up to be aggressive or press at all. It's 60-70 minutes of sideways slow football in possession (that doesn't work at any level) followed by 20-30 minutes of panicked crosses and punts into the box. He's been marketed well as a progressive coach but I've seen very little to show that he is one, he's a passive coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Pretty poor?!

Do you think any other manager would have survived this run of results? Losing to Luxembourg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,127 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I have been defending him but not because I'm madly pro Kenny it's just the only other options I see are big Sam types who will apparently "make us solid" but honestly what players out there do we have to form that kind of team.

I just really don't want someone who will pick a load of 30+ year olds and still probably not qualify

Lisa Fallon - Future Ireland manager after Kenny? Has the coaching experience and should be even cheaper than Kenny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

But sure we've been told for years including from Kenny that we have the players to play good attacking football and compete with the best in Europe so that excuse just doesn't wash I'm afraid.

We either have the players or they don't, they all criticised Trap when he said the players weren't technically good enough. The proof is in the pudding as they say.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Time to resign.

• Advertisement

Not going to pretend for one second that drawing to Azerbaijan or losing to Luxembourg are good enough, but to me there's no point in going back to Mick, or bringing in a budget Pulis or Allardyce (seeing as we likely can't afford the real thing). If we do that, all the **** results we've had to suffer for the Kenny reign will be for nothing cos we'll just revert to type, stick Collins up front on his own, sit back in our own box, pack the midfield with tried and trusted grafters who are getting a few minutes in the Championship and we'll go through another campaign without developing the team and watching 27 year olds pick up their first cap whilst younger lads who can play a bit of football are ignored.

If there's someone with some bit of ambition about they have their teams play, who we can get, then changing out Kenny mid-campaign is an option. I wouldn't object to Hughton if he became available. In any case I suspect he'll be sacked at the end of the current campaign, at the latest, unless results pick up from here. And with no source of goals, I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I think Dublin has as many GAA promotion officers as the entire country has FAI full time youth coaches.

we are not a football country. Until we face up to that we won’t be about much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

You think it came across well? Okay; you're perfectly entitled to your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It reminds of that last second equaliser against Cyprus at home in Euro qualifying by Steve Finnan under Staunton when Liam Brady was asked "why didn't Finnan celebrate the goal?"

To which he said "you wouldn't, would ye?"

That was back in the day when these results were embarrassing. Not anymore it seems.

I just think it shows where we are now. Rock bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,793 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Exactly.

answer to both is no one.

therefore Kenny stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I really wanted Kenny to succeed tbh, but this is not working.

There are good players there.

I think Hughton would do a good job.

Steve coppell be around the level we could afford.

we’ll just have to see how we do in the rest of the campaign but the new contract talk is far fetched and media driven from Kennyists

hughton is a contender alright if he’s prepared to do it for 500k a year.

the football will be pragmatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Anyone that starts Mcclean deserves the chop enough said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Well, you were right. McClean is done at this level, I think. Another tough day at the office. I'm actually enjoying some of the football but the results are just terrible. The lads have zero confidence.

• Advertisement

66 and hasn't managed a team outside India since 2010. That's depressing, but probably accurate unless the FAI get a cash injection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭SteM

Forest have 1 point from a possible 15 in the championship. Why do people think Hughton do well with this group of players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Replacing someone who was only experienced with managing at a much lower level with someone who is only experienced with managing at a much lower level is unlikely to warrant different results

Would be considered insanity I imagine

Decent (if not brilliant) record at Newcastle and Brighton. A manager is not just his last few months.

Although rather hilariously, I believe he currently has the same problem as Kenny - where are the goals gonna come from. But I think that'll be a problem for any Ireland manager at least for the next year minimum until someone out of Idah, Parrott, Connolly and Obafemi make major progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Have you seen Nottingham Forest this season? Rock bottom of the Championship with 1 point in their first 5 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Brighton also improved a lot after appointing him, as did Newcastle. Forest stint isn't going well but they've been a problem side for a long time. I'd be quite confident he would be a big improvement on a coach with 1 win in 15, and 0 wins in 11 competitive games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

northern Ireland seem to be be doing ok with their average manager. It is right to see who is out there before sacking Kenny but I just don't think he will ever get the best out of this group of players and to let our seedings sink further in another campaign with him would be the definition of insanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Big Sam anyone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Would i be right in saying even though all we hear is about the mangers style and possessions football and he's trying something different the fact is all our offical qualifying goals under him have been headers by CB's.... You couldn't write it could ye

• Advertisement

Defenders are alright , but the midfield has no technical players.

Forwards are brutal - ok Idah has a bit about him. But he needs someone clinical to work off. Connolly can’t hit a barn door - he just works hard and is busy. Robinson similar all pace no football brain. McClean no brain full stop, can’t cross a ball. Collins a journeyman pro. Parrott flatters to deceive and goes missing in games. Anonymous today as seems to be the pattern with him more often than not.

All means a defence under pressure, a midfield that can’t create, and busy forwards that can’t finish. Good luck to any manager working with that!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement