Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,295 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

That will be an interesting one, recent years both can blow hot and cold on there day

Mount Sion will obviously be depending on Aussie

De La Salle would be very nervous if they were in a relagation playoff. Weren't they in one a couple of seasons ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

Saw this twitter earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

a lot of people talking about the 3-10 from frees like it’s a bad thing. What would be said if he was missing them? Serious scoring machine whether it’s from frees or placed balls it all counts the guy is a class above at that level, so don’t tell me he’s still not well up to it at intercounty.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭TheG0AT

Think Maurice is a great great club player but that is it. He had some decent periods with Waterford but those days are in the rear view mirror. He was never a consistent performer for the county and nailed down a spot. There's talent there and coming through so lets work with that. As someone rightly said he's had his off days on the free's so why would you take Stephen off them to bring in Maurice Shanahan. Stephen adds more from play.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I think I pretty much said all of which you said in my post, so not sure why you have quoted me?

I would be less sure about his impact at county level now. He was given numerous chances at that level (while playing at a similar level to last weekend with Lismore) down through the years. Bar 2015 & to a lesser extent 2017, it didn’t really work out for him. Discipline seemed to be an issue at various stages & I don’t think he would fit in with the current set up too well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

the thing with Maurice is that he needs to be the main man leading the attack, that’s why he’s so good for Lismore. When he’s surrounded by other forwards of his quality he finds it harder to fit in. It’s no coincidence he won his all star in 2015 when Patric Mahony was injured

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

What is the capacity due to covid for the MS v DLS match in Walsh Park tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Montys return

500 tomorrow, about 5,500 possibly next weekend. Restrictions eased from 6th Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭siyo

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

There's 2,500 allowed into the RSC tonight but no tickets available for the game tomorrow.

In all fairness that's some crock of sh8te.

• Advertisement

Yeah reckon skin and hair will be flying

The format is a little odd, Dungarvan winning last weekend could end up been knocked out on scoring difference if DLS win tomorrow and then Mount Sion beat Dungarvan

Other games this weekend

Ballysaggert vs Tallow- Sat 4th Sep Fraher Field 19.30pm

Ballygunner vs Abbeyside- Sun 5th Sep Walsh Park 13.30pm

Clonea vs Roanmore- Sun 5th Sep Walsh Park 15.45pm

Lismore vs Fourmilewater- Sat 5th Sep Fraher Field 18.00pm

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Montys return

Agreed but at least there will be some consistency to it from Monday and as far as I gather no crowd restrictions at all from 22nd October. Not going to have much impact on the GAA calendar but it will be great to see a capacity crowd on this shore when the day arises, whatever the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

The main talking point from last weekend’s first round club championship game was Maurice Shanahan’s haul of 4-13 for Lismore against Tallow. It is worth remembering that, in the corresponding game last year against Fourmilewater, Maurice hit 2-17 (1-3 from play), with many of the converted frees coming from fouls on himself (as was the case last weekend).

Some posters here have stated that Maurice was never able to reproduce his club form consistently in the county jersey, and that was why he only had a marginal role during Derek McGrath’s reign. However, you could say the same about Stephen Bennett and Patrick Curran who, like Maurice, had their self-confidence reduced to shreds by McGrath who had no place for out-and-out strikers in his game plan. Thankfully, Bennett and Curran appear to have made a full recovery under Liam Cahill.

I reckon that Maurice’s exclusion from the county panel has nothing to do with his hurling ability but, while it is a pity to see such a talent being sidelined, one must respect Liam Cahill’s judgement on this.

Tallow, who hurled a lot better than last year, were well in this game in the first half, but a series of bad wides early in the second half, followed by the dismissal of Ian Beecher, their best player, spelled curtains for their chances. Cárthach Daly was at full back for Lismore in place of the suspended David Prendergast and didn’t get much to do, but it was good to see his brother Iarlaith back, and playing well, at centre back. I was impressed by Oisín O’Gorman, who has filled out considerably since last year and was particularly good in the air (a very useful skill in intercounty hurling). Ryan Gray also had some good moments (especially in the first half) while Thomas Ryan gave an exhibition of free-taking.

The game of the weekend was that between Fourmilewater and Ballysaggart, with the latter missing out on a great chance to get their first win in senior championship hurling. FMW dominated the early exchanges, with Aaron Ryan adding to the good impression he made last year with unerring freetaking and three points from play. However, as the game progressed, Ballysaggart came more into it, but poor shooting (nine first-half wide) left them two points down (0-12 to 0-10) at the interval.

Ballysaggart dominated the third quarter, playing some very good hurling and showing a major improvement on 2020, their first year at the senior grade. However, poor shooting continued to haunt them, and it was ironic that the goal which put them into the lead in the 41st minute came from a shot for a point which came back off the upright to Chris O’Gorman, who fired home.

Ballysaggart had a great chance to put the game to bed in the 58th minute but failed to find the net with two shots from close range. The drama then switched to the other end where the Ballysaggart goalkeeper made two superb saves in quick succession before Dylan Guiry fired home at the third attempt to put FMW back in the lead.

This set the scene for an exciting finish as Ballysaggart fought desperately to retrieve the game, but FMW by then had greatly upped their game, and they saw out the ten minutes of added time (due to a series of injuries) to forge a scarcely-deserved victory. While FMW did hit a lot of poor wides in the second half, Ballysaggart’s total of 15 wides was ultimately the deciding factor here, with two superb late points from play and a marvellous long distance free by Aaron Ryan also proving crucial.

Dungarvan are the ultimate hot-and-cold club in Waterford hurling, and they chose last Sunday to have one of their better days to get their first ever championship win over De La Salle. Their enormous work rate meant that DLS – much stronger on paper – never managed to get a sustained foothold in the game, with Patrick Curran (1-12, 0-4 from play) providing the cutting edge for the Blues.

I didn’t see the Passage/Roanmore game, but it was interesting that Passage’s fine young prospect, Mark Fitzgerald, played at corner forward here and notched 2-3 from play. Another breakthrough player from last year, Mikey Cummins, hit 1-6 (1-2 from play).

I also noted that Darragh Fives turned out at centre forward for Tourin last weekend with his brother Gavin (another good prospect) at centre back.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭optiplex780

De la Salle in relegation final. Lost to mount sion. 2-19 to 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Ballysaggart v Tallow is being streamed free on this link https://t.co/kYYvkWWcxu?amp=1

Yep reckon all the big ex players will be in giving the team a motivational speech. Surely having 4 intercounty players in the team they will win it to stay up. Mount Sion will be delighted with the win and then to beat DLS knocking them out of the championship. Top of the table next week Dungarvan vs Mount Sion

Tallow and Ballysaggart having a right battle

De la Salle were very poor and hard to see what way they were trying to play. You'd imagine they'll get it together before the relegation play off but it'll be a nervous few weeks waiting for the game.

Sion really drove on in the last 20 minutes. I thought Owen Whelan, Stephen Roche and Luke O'Brien were exceptional. Iggy pulled off two fantastic saves and Aussie hit two unreal sidelines over the bar.

All the same it would take a big improvement from Sion to trouble Ballygunner but ya never know.

Abbeyside Vs Ballygunner will be interesting tomorrow. Abbeyside are a big physical side who have plenty of hurling too but you wonder will the focus on the football final a few weeks ago have blunted their hurling a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Saying De La Salle will get it together for the relegation play off is optimistic. They were blown out of it again this evening, hard to see them getting back to where they were in the previous decade. A drop down to intermediate would be a disaster for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭optiplex780

Unbelievable match in fraher field. Sickener for ballysaggart.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

thanks for posting that link, some game of hurling. how did ballysaggart manage to lose that game. second week in a row they seemed to throw away what looked like would be a massive win for them.

De la salle were poor again, hard to believe they're one game away from being relegated and with 2 teams going down they are in real danger of dropping down, their second half performance was abysmal today.

• Advertisement

Two weeks in a row they've been caught with late goals, they'll be absolutely gutted.

Shane Bennett's goal was unbelievable!

Is the abbeyside v ballygunner being streamed anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Fair play to whoever was responsible for putting out that stream tonight. Very good quality output and a really good game to watch.

Good win for Mt Sion earlier, they must have won 90% of the contested ball on the ground. I had heard rumours of problems in the DLS camp including a crisis meeting at 9 last Sunday morning and the two performances have been too hard to believe. By my count they have 6 county panellists ( O' Brien, Moran, McNulty, Dillon, Fagan and Douglas) Halloran is a current under 20 with the county and both Ryan and Barrett have been previously involved with the county. And they just haven't performed in either game.

Is Derek mcgrath and his sidekick Mark Cooney coaching de la salle? I know the bull and James quirke are managers but heard those two were doing the coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

I'd imagine the team who finishes 3rd in grp A (4 team group) will stay up and not be involved in the relegation playoffs ?

DLS finished 3rd in Grp C

In Grp D Roanmore could be in the relegation playoffs of they lose to Clonea today

Grp B could possibly be a winner takes all game next week between Abbeyside and Ballyduff Upper. Winner to QFs, loser to relegation playoffs

• Advertisement

Advertisement