Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Like most of these studies, they're talking about "under a perfect fit condition" (as in laboratory conditions and not the actual real world experience for the majority of people) and particle sizes between 0.3-1 μm which is larger than many virus particles.

Ok, so say primary school children get issued those air tight masks. I fit them to my kids in the morning and send them on their merry way. What happens when they have to remove them to eat their lunch or drink something? Or when they go to play outside? Will the kids fit them back on correctly afterwards do ya reckon?

Some of the stuff posted on here makes me wonder if wearing masks for prolonged periods have an effect on people's cognitive abilities. Any studies on the effects of huffing your own carbon dioxide I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,317 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's a wonder they can tie their own shoe laces and dress themselves after going to the toilet from how you have described the situation. Some of them seem to be able to play hurling, with helmet and shinguards on.

I'll include a link below explaining why there's no carbon dioxide risk:

https://www.thejournal.ie/factcheck-face-masks-children-safe-oxygen-covid-19-5526541-Aug2021/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yes, clothes and sports equipment and their purpose is exactly the same thing as masks alright.

And you do know primary school children includes 4 year olds, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Once again, your missing the point of masking as we have been mandated to do, we are wearing masks to filter our output.

Our eyes are not known to shed virus into the air.

• Advertisement

The most interesting part about that study was the wash/dry study of cotton masks.

Two very important caveats freely admitted by the authors: We only looked at inward filtration efficiency (protecting the receptor, not reducing transmission from the source) and assuming a perfect fit condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭brickster69

Emergency situation in Stockholm. They must of totally run out of masks.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

I guess you may have forgotten that there never was an outside mask mandate, because aerosols disperse quickly outdoors.

I guess you may have forgotten that transmission happens almost exclusively indoors.

I guess you may have forgotten that no virologists or epidemiologists recommend outdoor masking.

Or - you're fully aware of that, and are just trying to build a straw man or something similar idiotic.

Ok, so say primary school children get issued those air tight masks. I fit them to my kids in the morning and send them on their merry way. What happens when they have to remove them to eat their lunch or drink something? Or when they go to play outside? Will the kids fit them back on correctly afterwards do ya reckon?

Let's deal with your makeyupey scenario and just ignore your cheapshot dig at "people's" cognitive abilities.

I'd imagine they just take them off by using their hands, poss the fingers, maybe even a thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

So, a video on an insane Twitter conspiracy feed that suggests treating Covid with Hydroxychloroquine, Ivermectin and Vitamin D, claims that vaccines cause severe morbidity, moans that the demon sperm doctors are 'censored' on Twitter, blah blah blah.

it's literally one lie after the other.

Hey, @brickster69 - do you know why all these people feel safe without masks indoors? Because they realised that when you combine vaccination with a 5 day course of Fentimans Curiosity Cola, it completely de-activates the magnetic nano particles in the vaccine, and counter-acts the demon energy.

What's the "makeyupey scenario" I posted? The part you bolded, that kids need to remove masks to eat, drink or play outside?

You're the one who posted kids masks which create an air tight seal. My very reasonable query was what will happen to that airtight seal when kids need to remove them during the school day and fit them again, especially consider the age range we're talking about for primary school.

Look, we're making progress here I feel. We've gone from suggesting cloth and surgical masks (which best case scenario under lab conditions with a correct fit stop about 10-15% of particles above a certain size, so about as useful as a chocolate fireguard) to accepting that you would need masks that have air tight seals. I'm just pointing out how impractical that would be for young kids.

What's the "makeyupey scenario" I posted?

Ok, so say primary school children get issued those air tight masks.

Hilarious you do a makeyupey scenario and then go into denial that it was makeyupey, it's almost like your two people, your jumping on the wrong horse.

YOU: "Ok, so say primary school children get issued those air tight masks." That's as makeyupey as it gets.

I posted those air tight masks as "1 example" of the advancement of childrens masks since the start of COVID-19 and how that advancement has reduced the arguement that children will not wear them properly as being out of step. That was the context and you took those masks out of context for your makeyupey scenario.

You have missed the point of why we are being asked to mask up and why primary school children may be asked to mask up. To reduce the risk.

Nobody is in favour of having the children wear masks in school, on public transport or in shops but the question is "does the current level of risk justify it"? YES. This answer will vary depending on a persons ability to balance emotion with the study of risk and the efffectivenesss of masks.

Youv'e lost me at chocolate fireguard.

So reducing particles from 100% to 90% (again based on different studies both you and I have linked to here, which have similar results) by wearing cloth or surgical masks are worth it to reduce risk? 10% reduction, in lab-type conditions for particles over a certain size. We'll agree to disagree that the reduced risk is worth it, given use of masks in the real world.

You and I both know HIQA can't turn around in their recommendation and say "masks are essentially useless". Of course they'll say instead that they won't be worn properly or it will affect learning, both of which are true to a certain extent.

At the end of the day, there are countries not wearing masks at all and they are doing just fine. As we were last summer before the mask mandate.

The world is not going to end if we stop wearing masks. Even if they saved some lives, I still don't think its worth the huge inconvenience to millions of people.

Masks can reduce our "cognitive abilities" and "effect learning" but are "essentially useless" when it comes to COVID-19 🦄

Like I said you lost me at "chocolate fireguard."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

How are masks a huge inconvenience? Is wearing any other type of clothing an inconvenience as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

Can we stop with this disingenuous argument, please? Wearing something over your face is quite different from wearing a t-shirt. Many people are only slightly bothered by it but others feel uncomfortable or even claustrophobic. Unfortunately I’m in the latter category and masks have lowered my quality of life. They were an emergency measure but the emergency phase is ending and the mandatory nature of this measure should come to an end.

It's all in your head at this stage. You have had a year and a half to get used to it.

And after a year and a half I haven’t been able to get used to it. Saying “it’s all in your head” is just a rude way or disregarding the concerns of others because you don’t share that concern. I could easily say the same to anyone who wants to continue to enforce mask mandates despite wide-scale vaccine uptake: “If you’re vaccinated then you’re protected. The basis for your concern is all in your head.”

• Advertisement

To be fair, it works both ways. Posters here saying people are in fear jumping off footpaths. So off course it's all in your head and nothing you say will change that.

Cool, so you’re saying that since the concern that is leading people to want to continue the mask mandates and the discomfort caused by being forced to wear a mask are both in one’s head there’s no point in even discussing the topic?

No, I don't think he is but your the expert on your own condition and I don't see you discussing it much at all. I recall posters being told early on in Part1 of this thread to examine their underlying fears and deal with them instead of all of us having to wear masks.

Could you clarify which it is that has "lowered your quality of life", feeling "uncomfortable" or "claustrophobic"?

Mike Ryan saying what Govt aren't willing to.

The Irish doctor leading the World Health Organisation’s (WHO’s) response to Covid-19 has warned the wearing of face coverings will likely continue for a "very long time" as he warned Europe is still seeing a million cases of Covid-19 a week.

I read this. It makes sense really. We're all getting covid and being infectious before showing symptoms means we should be protecting those around us. Not just the vulnerable but everyone.

Those that want to wear a mask then fine knock yourselves out.I can’t wait to burn mine for all the use they are any way

Firstly, I wasn't one of the posters in Part 1 disregarding anyone else so I don't really see the relevance in bringing it up.

Anyway, when I say "claustrophobic" I mean claustrophobic. As in anxious, panicky and I have to make a conscious effort not to rip the thing off my face. I have gone through the entire pandemic getting into and out of the shop as quickly as possible as a result. That would arguably be considered a positive thing when most of society was locked down, of course! 😅

At this point however I'm arguing that masks should disappear as a requirement along with social distancing and time and capacity limits. They are a restriction imposed upon the population and they've served their purpose. The vaccines are taking over from here and there's no good reason to continue with a mandatory mask mandate. I'm well aware that there are many who would like to voluntarily continue wearing masks and I honestly don't understand why anyone would have a problem with that.

Vaccines have dropped the hospitalisation rate from around 15% (numbers vary but at the start I often read 20% became seriously ill and 10-15% needed hospitalisation) to around 2%. This will lower further as even more of the population is vaccinated and as boosters are rolled out to the most vulnerable. Furthermore, this is by definition not a novel virus anymore. As a result most people are experiencing minor, flu- or cold-like symptoms. At this rate we will soon be able to honestly say that the risk is similar to the flu. At what point do you ever think masks should be optional again if this scenario isn't good enough?

Edited to be more specific with the numbers requiring hospitalisation.

Covid is here to stay, why do you want to go around spreading the "cold or flu"?

• Advertisement

Can you please answer my question? Do you see any scenario in which masks are not mandatory again?

Advertisement