Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

yes, this is it. And we shouldn’t ever be considering a return to any lockdowns in any part of the economy.

The way forward is i) sorting out or health system (never going to happen), ii) enhancing ventilation and filtration etc in our office, social, retail and public buildings (will happen eventually) and iii) personal responsibility in which people stay home if they don’t feel well (which could and should happen now and in perpetuity).

In the meantime rely on better treatments (improving all the time) and new vaccines (unlikely to ever end this). But, other than that, we just get on with our lives

Since June Israel have had 250,000 cases and 600 deaths, up to the, prior to June Israel had 830,000 cases and 6,400 deaths.

For us to June this year only as testing hasn’t changed much it was 180,000 cases and 2,700 deaths, since June it’s 90,000 cases and 140 deaths.

Vaccines are working.

Also, the delta variant has R0 of ca.6. I don’t think anyone can argue that we are more than 50% restricted at the moment. You would therefore expect the reproduction rate here to be at least 3 at the moment. Yes it’s actually 1 or just under. So not only is vaccination preventing deaths in those who get the virus, it’s also massively reducing the spread of the virus.

The number of lives saved by the vaccines thus far is easily 2,000 plus

The reality outside boards.ie is way different. People are getting on with their lifes, pubs are busy, people are attending sports and social events, meeting friends, holidaying etc.

Yes, it will linger for a while and some people will die unfortunately but for most it's essentially over, me included.

In town last night, no one was discussing it, it was the usual sports and family stories. We're vaccinated and we've moved on.

You assume it is over for you, but unfortunately not everyone who is vaccinated can move on as about 50% of those in hospital are fully vaccinated.

Yes the vaccines protect vulnerable people and have saved many of their lives for now.

• Advertisement

It has to be over, and if will be over shortly from a restrictions perspective. Personal responsibility (plus better ventilation pretty much everywhere) is the only, literally the only, way forward. And the vulnerable and those who can’t get vaccinated are going to need to come to an arrangement with those people with whom they interact (including with an employer). Those who won’t get vaccinated through their own choice, then little sympathy…..they’re along for the ride

We cannot restrict any aspect of the economy any more. As none of this is going to get any better

• Registered Users Posts: 86,191 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Given the numbers have some got it twice

Maybe from your perspective it "has to be over" buy unfortunately the vaccines we have so far are not going to get us all out of this as we can see in Israel and even here in Ireland now with about 50% of those in hospital fully vaccinated.

I didn’t say vaccines would get us out of this. They will not. But nor will restrictions. We are just along for the ride now and hopefully treatments will continue to improve, meaning that those admitted to hospital are discharged sooner. And vaccines will continue to limit serious illness.

As for case rates, they will be what they will be from here. Hopefully people, if they don’t feel well, will stay home…..that’s part of our work culture that has to change

What's annoying me is the organisations that should be doing more, notably schools and the department of education, aren’t.

They haven’t even got the CO2 monitors in place in my niece’s primary school, never mind air filters or ventilation systems, and there are already cases a week into opening.

They had 2 to 3 months of summer holidays to put this stuff in place. Instead they are relying on magical thinking that it will all just go away.

I notice that the UCD architect who’s bringing this up on Twitter just gets attacked by various people too.

It’s like people just want to wedge their heads firmly into the sand and hear no more about it.

If we took the pragmatic measures like this, then it would be much safer and easier to manage and we could avoid disruption and needing to take reactionary measures.

We won’t solve this by just not adapting to it. To live with it means to adapt stuff and minimise impact on lifestyle by making those adaptations.

Put the infrastructure in place so we can get on with it!

• Advertisement

That is true, you did not say vaccines would get us out of this, that was another poster.

I agree work culture has to change, not going into work feeling sick, we need focus on treatments and better ventilation. I would add we need to improve our health system. 400 and something ICU beds for a population of 5 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Am I missing something here with the co2 monitors in schools?

What on earth are they going to tell anyone about the air in schools unless there's a gas leak or a build up of co2?! Which has nothing to do with covid...or am I just not getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

I think Delta is getting us out of this 😉

It seems very mild in terms of fatality

90,000 cases and 140 deaths since June

Most of those cases are unvaccinated as we know and nearly all the deaths are unvaccinated

Thats a case death rate of 0.15%, that’s the flu, nothing to worry about

Previous strains had a 2% case death rate, that’s scary

Pre Delta 264,000 case and 4962 deaths

Honestly Delta could be a blessing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

A build up of Co2 indicates poor air flow. Co2 comes from people breathing oxygen and exhaling Co2.

A gas leak would not release Co2 (carbon dioxide), it would be CO (carbon monoxide)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Current vaccines will get us 80% there, it will probably need a nasal vaccine before sterilising immunity is achieved, these can be less effective for the individual but reduce spread significantly. Oxford are planning for this, there is also a trial just started in Cincinnati on a live vector vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They're used to detect air quality rather than alerting for dangerous CO build up, and they give constant readouts so you know to open windows, turn up the air con/filtration etc.

You’re missing something.

CO2 concentration is used to show air changes / build up of stale air. If you’ve an occupied room, as people exhale the CO2 is analogous to everything else in the air that’s being expelled from their breathing.

So high CO2 = poor air quality.

It’s an extremely simple and effective way of knowing when you need to ventilate a room.

There’s no practical way of measuring viral concentration in the air as the particles are so tiny they’re not easily detected, but you can use measures like this to show when you need to get air changes moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Also worth adding 299 detected cases in hospital this week compared to 337 last week.

Just on this - the UCD architect has been “attacked” (I’d rather say challenged) on Twitter as she is part of an extremist group (ISAG) who have constantly used children as emotional pawns in their bizarre push for extra restrictions, extra anxiety, and let’s be honest, extra airtime for them (masks in schools, wanting schools closed, saying kids will die).

She May be an expert in her field, but any credibility has been long lost as part of that group, given one of their self stated goals is to stoke anxiety and fear in people. Even McConkey distanced himself from ISAG.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

How many died?

Or we don’t report that anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Is our death rate higher than usual? The vulnerable passing by flu or covid? Obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Most of those who cant move on are very elderly, have serious underlying issues or are obese people of all ages.

Life will never again be normal for this cohort but for the rest of us life has returned to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is a danger of getting sucked into a never ending spiral on this. People are at risk from all sorts of pathogens all the time. Flu' will be back with us shortly and that too will kill people, vaccinated or not, so what exactly is it you want everyone to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

I wish this where true but it's not. Pubs are nowhere near as busy or as fun as they used to be. People are still talking about Covid constantly and yes whilst events are taking place it's nothing like before in Ireland with reduced capacity across the board. England for example as has full capacity at sports events for months now.

People are getting on with it yes but with the realist in me say's we aren't going to see a return to any kind of normal for years tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I think it depends on your age to be honest. Life for me is mostly back to what it was precovid. Kids are back doing activities and work is going on as normal for now. Bar the mask wearing. I work in a school so there are some slight differences but for now things are as they were. We wouldn't have been out much and our days of concerts etc were limited. So there is very little difference for us. We even managed to go abroad over the summer. However if I was 20 and in college or in my mid 20s life would be very different. Those were the days when we went out 3 or 4 times a week, to nightclubs, to concerts etc. Life is very curtailed for younger people at the moment. Which is very unfair as they are missing out. We now know that this age group is least at risk and they should be allowed to live again.

I think even if every restriction was released tomorrow we would not return to normality. The fault for that IMO sits squarely with the government comms strategy and RTÉ. It’s not necessarily the fault of NPHET and McKonkey/Staines/Ryan that they were given a disproportionate and unsupervised platform. It’s the fault of the government and RTÉ respectively. We were fed a daily diet or NPHET concern and RTÉ / ISAG scaremongering for 18 months. That will resonate with large parts of our population for months if not years. It’s RTÉ primarily who will be to blame for our slow return to normality compared to our peers

Care to hazard a guess at the age distribution of cases in vaccinated vs unvaccinated? And what that would have looked like pre vaccination?

People can talk about restrictions ending in Ireland in October but it’s not true.

Masks will still be mandatory in retail and other settings. The maternity hospitals have laughed off removing restrictions and more or less said they’ll do as they please.

Im going to a christening in early November that is apparently restricted to 12 people.

There are 2 forest/wooded areas close to me that are still blocked off with barriers since Covid started.

As others have said, normality may never return in Ireland after the severity of our lockdowns and the constant doomsday communication strategy.

People may have to leave this island if they want to live unrestricted lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

1,180 new cases, 362 people in hospital, down one from yesterday, with 59 in ICU, up seven plus we'll pass 90% fully vaccinated over 16s next week.

Advertisement