Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Coleman is probably our best player - he plays for my team Everton - the reality is he just makes the team - Was a great player, but never the same after Wales game - It's rather sad to see how far Ireland have fallen - Kenny is not the right man , but Pep could manage us and we'd still be **** , the worst Irish squad I can remember - when I grew up iver half the team played for big clubs and were starters - bar Coleman we have no one today - Shefield united and Norwich reserves - dark days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭deadduck

I really don’t think it’s that bleak (although I’m not saying it’s good either)

there has been some really good play, and lots of chances created in (some of) the recent matches, the issue is finishing/goals

Idah looks like he will be a very good player in the coming years, if we can find a pairing with him that clicks, it will be huge. Connolly could be that player, but he needs a move badly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

...and exactly why it's not SKs fault.

He can only work with what's available, and it's not much. I don't see how any other manager would get us playing any better for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The reason why Kenny gets a handy ride from the media is because most soccer journalists in this country have a grá for LOI and basically he is their man. When Kenny got the job it was seen as a vindication of LOI, that their guy could mix it well with the big boys and their League was coming of age.

To acknowledge Kenny as a failure would also come with the acknowledgement that the LOI is a league of low quality (not the up and coming one it likes to see itself as) and that the best they can produce is only a match for the mighty Andorra.

Post edited by MrMusician18 on

It shouldn't matter where Kenny has managed to gain respect from players.

What would lose players respect would be weird formations, tactically inept and an out of depth manger. Kenny ticks these boxes for sure.

Also, his achievements in LOI shows how far away from international class that really is. The gulf is massive. As a Irish manager he's the worst ever in my lifetime. I honestly didn't think we could get worse than Staunton, but Kenny's on another level unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

Should we give Jim Crawford the job instead then?

He has managed 3 wins in 5 games this year, actually winning a qualifier too.

I worry that sticking with SK could do long term damage to the morale of the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

People keep pushing this love for LOI nonsense but if it was true then the national papers would have tons of pages dedicated to LoI which they don't have.

There is no massive pro LoI bias in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Crawford should certainly be considered in the future.

Promoting from within the system has certainly worked for England, France and Germany

He's damaging the team long term too. Our seeding will fall further for upcoming tournament qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I guess that might explain why some Kenny fans still excuse him and want "patience" and "long term plan"

If Kenny is succesful in tanking our ranking/seeding good enough we will then eventually end up believing a late equaliser against Azerbaijan is our best ever result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Let's not let stats get in the way of an agenda.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

McClean could score a hat-trick and he'd still be criticised more than anyone else. He's took over the panto villain role from Whelan. The fact Hendrick didnt start either meant McClean got the full panto treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

There certainly isn't. I remember one time I was watching Ireland AM and they had this sports journalist on, he talked about conor mcgregor, the Irish rugby team, man united, horse racing . He failed to mention the FAI cup final that was on later that day. Have a look on youtube for a any 2 hour clip of off the ball, they will talk about the premier league for 90% of the video, the Irish soccer team and maybe 3 minutes about the league of Ireland. When they do talk about it, you can tell they don't care about it and are only doing it so LOI people don't have a go at them for not talking about it. we need to start following our own league. You are not from manchester or liverpool, so grow up and follow a soccer team from your own country. if you prefer watching man united on tv over going to an actual live LOI game, you aren't a real football fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

First I've heard of Whoscored. No idea how they arrived at their rating for McClean but I wouldn't pay too much attention to it as when I clicked on Coleman's score it doesn't factor in his error that led to the goal.

McClean had a stinker yesterday. I don't know why Kenny started with him (or brought him on Wednesday night). I've been mostly happy with his teams up to this point but yesterday was probably his weakest selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yeah Roy Barrett said back in March they'd consider a contract extension if there was signs of progress but it seems like one step forward two steps back.

Just hope whoever they consider we don't end up back with a set up where the senior manager ignores the underage set up. This must be the first time that we've had a set up where all managers from U15s to seniors actually communicate with each other regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

"Not a real football fan". Get over yourself.

This victimhood of LOI is the reason it's the way it is. If it's not plastic fans supporting English clubs instead of their local team (not every town or county has a LOI team), it's the GAA's fault for getting more funding. Never anything to do with FAI making a bollix of everything themselves of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Are you trying to claim McClean played well yesterday?

The very people always calling kenny a rubbish manager and slating the Irish football team are the ones who would watch man united v burnley over Ireland v Portugal, if the games clashed. Or pay 40 euro to watch bohs v man united pre season friendly over 10 euro to watch an FAI cup final in the Aviva. Then they wonder why our team is so poor and slag off the LOI even though they have never even been to a game, or maybe went to one 10 years ago.

I travel 2 and a half hours to watch my LOI team, its easier than booking a flight to manchester, booking into a hotel and paying 80 euro for a ticket to watch man united v brentford.

LOI is actually a good watch but imagine how good it would be if all the premier league nuts supported their own league.

Most LOI supporters hate the FAI by the way, I am going to the serbia game tuesday, I boycotted Ireland games the last 10 years because John Delaney was involved and I didnt want my money going into his pockets. The FAI have neglected the LOI for years, its not like the FAI is the LOI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Fair play to you, genuinely, for your commitment to the team you follow. But you can't tar every person who favours PL over LOI with the same brush.

It'd be like condemning someone for going to the West End or Broadway for the world-renowned, critically-acclaimed plays or musicals, when there is a perfectly functional am-dram society locally. Can't help that people prefer the superior product.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, he created alot more than Coleman on the other side but with McLean the negatives are always focused in on and the positives dismissed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

LOI fan here - as my post history will show I've followed Limerick FC around the country for the last 25 years, apart from when I was living abroad. I don't see why this should be framed as a LOI vs non-LOI thing at all. There's no hive mind on either side.

In my opinion,Kenny should resign or be sacked, asap.

He is utterly out of his depth, and has no idea whatsoever about breaking down even the poorest of teams.

We can go on and on about how poor this set of players is, and I'd agree, but Kenny has no clue about how to maximise the resources at his disposal.

We earned 1 point out of 6 against teams ranked 96 and 112. Enough rubbish about how we are building something, or going in the right direction. We are going absolutely nowhere under him, nowhere.

500 grand is absolutely enough to attract somebody better than him.

It is different though, the local soccer team v the local drama society. If Irish people spent their money on the LOI games, it would improve the league enormously, we would have Irish teams qualify for europa league every year, maybe even the champions league, we could develop players here instead of sending them to English clubs. watching a play is just for enjoyment but giving your money to Irish clubs will have a knock on effect on Irish football and improve our teams. It is interesting how english clubs send their young players here now to play first team football, while we send our players over there to play u 18 and u 21 football.

A lwb should be creating more than a rcb. I don't see the comparison really. It's like saying he created more than Bazunu.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

The FAI have done a terrible job at promoting their league, though, and most improvements needed on and off the pitch are mostly just left to the club to sort out.

The FAI should be the ones setting targets for their teams to increase European qualification, and providing assistance towards that goal. A lot of clubs are badly in need of renovations too which the FAI should be going to bat for to try and secure grant money.

I completely agree with you that a stronger local league can only benefit the national team long term, but the league being weak isn’t because of Premier League fans, it’s because the league administrators have been treating it like they don’t really want it because it can’t generate PL money. If they start pushing it as a cheap family day out, then you’ll see people go. And it’s a shame that they don’t, because I firmly believe we could have a cracking league here with some investment and support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He should resign, but you get the sense from the interviews that there is a lot of self righteousness there, a perception of being wronged and unlucky.

He isn’t going to be renewed so the question becomes whether retaining him as a lame duck through the end of the campaign is helpful. I would argue it is not. Further time bedding in his “vision” is wasted time and counter productive for the players.

He should be sacked ASAP after Serbia and the FAI bring in someone who can get more out of what we have.

Sounds like you didn't watch the game as Coleman wasn't on the other side. Nice try though.

Crawford should be nowhere near talks for the job and I say that as someone that wanted the FAI to actually go out and appoint another manager to the U21s from outside the association rather than an FAI employee already on the pay roll.

Until we actually take football serious in this country then promoting from within is only going to be a pipe dream. Lads have to go abroad to learn their trade because there's nothing here for them.

One of the best young coaches I've seen working is now down in Cambodia managing full time, and actually doing good because there's no football industry here for lads. Pretty sure he didn't even want to go for his pro license because why spend that money when there's no work here for you to justify the cost.

Who do you think they'll get in if that happens? Who will be able to teach Coleman how to close down players threatening to shoot?

McLean was creating as much as anyone problem is we've strikers who wouldn't even score in the league of Ireland.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

But you thought Coleman was on the other side. That's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I’m not a McClean fan but I defenitely think he is being slaughtered unjustly on yesterday’s performance.

this forum, and general fan sentiment was slaughtering Coleman for a while and now he’s back in the good books, then it was Duffy who got slaughtered by fans and some elements in the media who said he should be discarded and now he’s back in the good books. Now Connolly is the one getting slaughtered who will likely be important for Ireland in the next few years.

I laugh at Irish fans who see Coleman for instance as the problem in previous years and that he should be discarded. As if Ireland with our great player resources are in any position to discard anyone of that PL standard quality…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

do we really want that bitter bigot as manager?

We had an xG of just over 2 from 21 shots, and the 1 goal was from a Cullen cross. McClean looked busy as he always does, but as he also always does, he wasn’t creating any chance of note.

He gets stick because he’s always in seemingly good positions and then he wastes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

I'd be from a GAA background, but probably watched every Ireland game on tv, with a few exceptions, since I was 6 or 7. I'd watch a lot of club games and international competitions on tv.

Around February 2020, pre Covid, I took my 11 year old nephew to play an indoor football match in his league. They were bawled at to hoof the ball up field all the time. Shouted at when they tried a bit of skill or passing. They were a goal up at half time and got a lecture on 'what we have we hold'. The other team were receiving similar instructions. There was zero emphasis on enjoying themselves and being skilful on the ball.

Was I just unlucky or is that coaching attitude prevalent underage? If it is we're at nothing.

The most memorable player in a good crossing position who completely wasted it was Doherty in the first half

The most impact McClean had on the game was the bruises on the thighs of the Azeri defenders every time he clocked one with an attempted cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It doesn’t matter, any manager at a Championship level should be capable of making us better organised and effective. Kenny may yet manage successfully at that level after Ireland, but I have my doubts. He is failing to hit very minimal standards and expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

There'd probably be a lot of anecdote in any answer you receive, ranging from 'yeah, my young lad did a superb football camp during the summer where they concentrated a lot on possession football', all the way to the usual kids being shouted at in a wet muddy field. All we can truly go on is the standard of player being produced.

Yes, the fact that we only created enough to be in a good position to score 2 goals over 90 minutes at home against the bottom seed tells you the entire team was bad.

With McClean though, it’s not a surprise. Over the last few years you know beforehand what you’re going to get. A lot of energy and a lot of frustration. He will put in crosses that hit the first man, he will get booked chasing down a ball he lost himself. So when you’re watching yet another game where he’s playing, and he’s doing the same things he always does, it’s not surprising that people get frustrated with him specifically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

That's it I'm sure. Same as any sport. Just got a shock as felt this fella shouldn't be let near coach youngsters.

I saw a youth "coach" last year and he was a disgrace, horrible little man who started fights with anyone around, cursing and going on like he was jose mourinho, the man shouldnt have been let anywhere near coaching kids. coaches should be paid professionals who pass tests to manage/coach teams and not some amateur local nut job who hasnt a clue about football.

Well I can’t agree , he is inarticulate in any interview I’ve seen him in I.e. he seems to know what he is trying to say but he finds the words hard to come by and things that should take 10 seconds, take a minute. He’s an awkward speaker with woeful unassertive body language , we are expected to believe he is a transformed presence in the dressing room.

Probably unlucky, but you still get a lot of win at all costs. My junior club in Limerick was like that. Had no underage teams because no one cared about it anymore. One the lads got a team going at underage and I got involved with him. After a few years (2011 - 2014) you had teams at all age groups from U8s to U16s.

Which then attracted older ex players who now wanted to get involved because someone did the work of assembling an underage. He left Christmas 2013 and I never bothered going back a few months after that. Within two years the underage teams were gone because lads were being screamed at to get rid of it.

Two of the biggest Kenny advocates in the media are Dion Fanning and Ken Early. There’s others like Conan Doherty.

these lads wouldn’t have attended a LOI game in their lives with the possible exception of Doherty.

I think most people who are Kenny advocates are a fan of what he wants to put in place(myself included).

I want to see a direct path between the underage and senior teams.

I want to see an Ireland team that is always looking to improve rather than see qualification as the end goal.

I want to see Ireland compete in games instead of just trying to not concede.

While the results make it almost impossible to argue for his contract extension, I’d prefer to keep him in place if any replacement is given the brief to simply qualify for a tournament, and to not continue the philosophy that Kenny is trying to create, even if he’s not capable of doing it himself.

If Kenny's out of a job soon, or come November, I'd like the FAI to consider Steve Cooper. Coming from his background of youth football and having worked with England's underage teams he'll surely be someone that would continue on with some of the changes, but could add more stability to our senior team.

But are you even gonna attract someone like Cooper who had Swansea up in the play offs. I doubt young League One managers that are doing well would fancy international football at this stage of their careers.

He’d be good. Why Swansea got rid of him I don’t know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Is his contract up in Nov? Surely they won't consider extending that? Surely not. Probably not worth sacking him at this stage but no way should they consider extending the contract, despite the OTB lads thinking he's the messiah after the Portugal game......

• Advertisement

He left cause Swansea are fooked financially I think. Probably didn't wanna go through the hassle of constantly rebuilding a team as Swansea would need to sell players to bring money in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement