Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lee Carsley has plenty of underage experience (currently England U21)

Hes only been caretaker boss at club level but won manager of the month during a 6 match spell at Coventry (or maybe Brentford)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Is a simple answer for any future Kenny replacement not staring everyone in the face.?The underage football God. Good with media. Incredible football knowledge. And previous senior International experience. BRIAN KERR.

Harshly treated in his last stint as senior boss. Great win percentage few losses. Kerr is the obvious answer for me his talents are being wasted in the TV studio.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

And he won't touch the FAI with a barge pole after the way they treated him before. Plus why would you walk away from the U21s job after just getting it and walk into our senior job when you could be unemployed again in 12 months. If he's smart he won't consider us for another few years.

What's Kerr done since his last stint with Ireland? Why hasn't any rushed out to bring him in if his talents are that obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Don't agree. The hunt for a new manager isn't something that's going to happen in days or weeks, especially given the season has just started. We also have games in October and November. I can't see us getting someone in place this year. Also, if we sacked Kenny, we'd have Crawford as interim manager, someone who would almost certainly be worse than what we have.

I would leave Kenny where he is until the end of the year and give him the chance to finish out this campaign. International football throws up a lot of strange results, only need to look as Israel hammering Austria yesterday. There's still a slim if unlikely hope Kenny can finish out strong.

• Advertisement

Someone said it was up in November, I thought it was next summer. Only way he's getting a contract extension is if we actually finish third with results against Serbia and possibly Portugal IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

too inexperienced and has just taken a job with great prospects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nah, that excuse doesn't wash I'm afraid. Let's compare the team that played Wales vs the team that played Azerbaijan:

Randolph; Christie, Duffy, Clark, Ward; Arter, Meyler, Hendrick; Brady, Murphy, McClean

Bazunu; Coleman, Duffy, Egan; Doherty, Molumby, Cullen, McClean; Parrott, Connolly, Idah.

By my count, half the team that started yesterday can be described as 'experienced Premier League and Championship players'. Furthermore, there could have been more experienced options, but the coach left them out, which was Brian Kerr's point. Kenny left out Randolph altogether, while on the bench he had Hourihane, Browne, Hendrick, Manning, Robinson, Collins.

We are seeing a revisionist history being written now. We've gone from 'we need a coach like Kenny that allows our talented players to express themselves' to 'well, it's not Kenny's fault as he doesn't have talented players'. When are there going to be question marks over the supposed talent of the coach, who can only muster 1 win in 15, and is winless in 11 competitive games?

I assume the who scored site based it on the number of crosses McClean put in. But they do not factor in that many were miles too high, or hit the first man. Same sort of guff said about Adama Traore at wolves people going on about ‘underlying stats’ . But the guy can’t shoot with composure, cross or pass when you watch the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Literally every manager who’s come before him has done better. Staunton was better ffs.

• Advertisement

What’s the haha for? You would swear it was the dark ages. I assume 1993 is your DOB which might explain it? He managed Ireland about 16 years ago. Mick Mc first stint was 20 years ago.

Kerr has an encyclopedic knowledge of world football and the Irish scene. I think you are just being ageist to be honest. You would swear Kerr is a old man, Yet in the history of football there have been many much older successful high profile managers in football. Research it if you do not believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think that’s a big question should they look to replace Kenny.

In 19/20, the average championship manager salary was £878k(might be a little less now since Leeds were promoted)

Since there’s no way to compete with Championship wages, how on Earth could you expect to convince someone of that caliber that the Ireland job right now is a good career move? It’s a young, inexperienced squad that will take a lot of work to maybe, maybe get to a euros in 3 years. It’s a huge time commitment for something that is going to be a hugely difficult and financially uncompetitive.

I think if we get rid of Kenny, we will have massive trouble trying to get someone nearly as motivated to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,127 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yep thats a big part of it. Fellas throwing names around as if coaching Ireland is a hot ticket but the truth is most coaches would not go near the job and even the top international sides struggle to find managers. You might get lucky and find a guy who is about to retire and has coaching his country on a bucket list

There’s a lot less work in being an international manager than a club manager so wages offered should reflect this.

plus the prize money figures for success in the championship are larger than international prize funds

Right so it dribbles that bumped up McClean’s ‘Influence’ interesting. Proof to me that stats can lie.

Have to say, I agree with most of that.

There is a bit of a strawman argument being put out by some that the players are just not good enough. We know this isn't a particularly talented batch, but there's no way they should only be winning 1 in 15 games.

The average often gets inflated because of managers that drop down from the Premier League. Similar to average wages because of the big earners that come down. That same report were reporting the highest paid manager was supposedly getting 3.5m a season. Four times the average wage.

The point still stands though. If you were a young manager with championship experience would you commit yourself on relatively low wages to an uncompetitive national team for 3 years or wait for a club job to open up?

The only people you’d interest are managers nearing the end of their careers looking for a handy payday.

He enjoys the quiet life, He went to the Faroes and improved them. Also does not seem to be massively motivated by moolah. Also his history with the FAI meant he would never be in the running until certain people had left.

• Advertisement

I’m not totally disagreeing with you.

there is potential in the Ireland job over the long term. We have young players who are inconsistent but over the next 3 years we should get better. Kenny has taken us from 32nd in the world to probably about 60th next time around so expectations are low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dont get this mindset. What benefit is "starting young players"? If they arent ready to start then whats the point in starting them for the craic.

Might aswell just call up the U18 squad next time since young=good for some.

It’s a match rating based on all aspects of a players contribution.

And Steve Cooper had a ball of experience before a championship team with promotion aspirations gave him a job. The hysteria from some before Kenny even stepped foot in the job would have been a million times worse if you had suggested that the England U17s manager as the Ireland national team manager two years ago

To give them experience in international football, which I’m glad Kenny has been doing.

Previous managers had no interest in youth, just looking for players in lower leagues getting regular minutes. Don’t totally blame the managers there, Don Givens seemed to do a great job of dismantling our youth system. Still, it was indicative of the lack of long term thinking we’ve had in recent years.

Players only find their feet at international level after 15-20 caps. Best to get them in because they are the future

I think mick or Oneill would be giving youth a chance personally. It’s the percentage smart call.

Yes the Ireland job is not the next progression for the England under 17 manager.

Mick and O’Neills job was to qualify us for major tournaments at any cost, so giving youth a chance was out the window for getting the most match fit defensively sound team out on the pitch.

O’Neill specifically had chances to give Rice a senior competitive cap but decided against it.

• Advertisement

McClean is average, but so are all of our players. He’s no better or worse than anyone.

And that's all Steve Cooper was until Swansea gave him a job, a more important job than the Ireland job IMO because it's a day to day job with financial consequences much bigger than us.

Because there were better options than rice at the time. Now the young players are actually better options. Who has Kenny discarded from international selection? Randolh maybe that would be about it. He still selects Shane long FFS, god love him.

this idea that Kenny is bringing in a new broom to sweep out the old doesn’t stand up to analysis. Kenny is selecting the best squad for now. If you think mick would be doing differently than you must have missed mick giving debuts to Cullen, Parrott, jack Byrne, Aaron Connolly and Lee Oconnor

Indeed, good for Swansea. The England under 17 job is not preparation for the Ireland senior job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

People seem to be defending McClean because they think he is getting a hard time, rather than actually looking at his performance.

Was at the game yesterday, sat right behind the dugout so McClean was right in front of us for the majority of the first half. Pretty much every time the ball came to him any attacking momentum was lost. Idah was consistently making good runs looking for the ball to feet or in behind and McClean wouldn't play the pass, instead choosing to hold the ball before turning back or passing sideways or backwards.

The second half saw him with plenty of the ball but seemingly only interested in trying to kill the Azerbaijan defenders by blasting it against the nearest one.

My expectation is that Tuesday will see us go close again, with some nice football played. But until we can start putting the ball in the net when we get chances then we won't be winning games.

Callum Robinson, in great form for WBA, had an almost identical chance yesterday to one he had against Qatar, and he fluffed it in the exact same way as he did against Qatar. As I said at the time of his miss against Qatar (which came just before his hatrick against Chelsea), you can't really legislate for that. That's on the individual player rather than the manager.

Who was a better DM for Ireland than Rice at the time?? We had an ageing Whelan I believe, and Rice is just in a different class than him.

And Kenny is of course making wholesale changes. The average age of the team under Kenny is several years younger than previous managers. He’s just not changing everything immediately.

He has his problems and might not be the man for the job but he’s putting far more effort into refreshing the squad than anyone since Mick the first time.

• Advertisement

I thought MON called Rice up for friendlies. But when it came to competitive games Rice ran for the hills and was still ‘deliberating’ his future. He made the right choice, Ireland was always a fall back option for Rice. Let’s be honest.

That’s because they are players there to refresh the senior side. Under Oneill in particular the well ran dry.

rice was playing occasionally as a center back for west ham when that Moldova rolled around, we didn’t need a center back. If Oneill ignored anyone greviously it was john Egan but our center back options were good as performing very well.

Grealish was far more hesitant to move to the senior team, but I could be wrong. O’Neill did have a habit of changing players and formations in friendlies before reverting exactly to the same players and formation in qualifiers.

Any anyway Declan rice is an English man with English parents and good luck to him. I don’t cry about these things personally but that’s just me

I still think it is flawed has no substance or context to it. Stats have a place but have to be used with watching a game as well. McClean is busy but where is the quality. I would have him impact sub at best.

• Advertisement

That makes it somewhat more understandable I suppose. Even still he was highly rated and could have easily been locked down by being given a few minutes but O’Neill wasn’t interested.

But it worked out well for Rice as he’s part of his preferred team so no use dwelling on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭floorpie

What's up with Jack Byrne? He's over his injury, is he training with the team even?

McClean has little quality and wasn’t great yesterday, was he deserving of singling out as a terrible performer. Not really. Was he worst or more wasteful than Doherty on other wing back slot. Not in my estimation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

What players is Kenny not picking that would dramatically improve the team? It's the same with asking what would a new manager do that would dramatically change it?

We haven't been competitive in years. If a new manager was beating Lux/Azerbaijan 1-0 playing turgid football and still losing to Portugal/Serbia we still don't qualify but we also have zero hope for the future.

Kenny at least offers me hope. If by the euro campaign results are still as bad then I'll be calling for a change as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Whatever about individual mistakes, at half-time Azerbaijan - ranked one place above Mozambique - were leading us on possession and shots on target. That is 100 per cent on the coach since the entire point of bringing him on board was to inculcate his much hyped brand of football that we were told would see us unleash our talented players. By the end of the game - when we actually had them on the ropes - it was actually the style of play of previous coaching regimes, i.e. get the ball in the box and rattle them. It was an aerial assault at the end which would have made Tony Pulis proud, following the game against Portugal where our goal came from our old friend, the set piece.

So I don't get this 'give him more time' argument. As time goes by, we see that our biggest threat remains one of the defenders getting on the end of a cross.

McClean didn't have a great performance, he wasn't the only one, yet he seems to get 90% of the stick. Kenny fans in particular are especially eager to put the boot into him, but yet they often don't seem to question the tactics. If so many of our players are more comfortable with the ball at feet, why are we trying to create most of our chances with crosses?

Kenny got it wrong yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

He was one of the worst performers alongside Parrott, Connolly, and Doherty imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

He was worse, he was in more dangerous areas with the ball and continuously delivered either overhit crosses or failed to best the first man with them. He took maybe three or four awful set pieces too, big looping overhit things. He's also been consistently poor for a long time. As someone posted above, you get the same thing every time with him, bust a gut headless running around, lose the ball, foul, yellow card and fail to deliver a pass or cross when needed. He maybe has a place as a last ten minute, last ditch sub when you need a hail Mary. That's it.

I remember Mick getting slagged on co-comma for sky for saying Ireland need to cross it more.

our football intelligentista had their say in an abusive way towards Mick on that.

fast forward to yesterday…

there’s nothing very different in how we played football yesterday to anything seen under mick and Martin. We we’re more susceptible to attack through the center of our midfield. After that…not sure I saw big differences.

that’s just yesterday, Portugal match held more encouragement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,127 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Because we don't have any 20/30+ year olds who are any better.

All these "minnows" that we are crying about when they beat us have copped this and are further down the road to building good international sides which is why they are beating us. They spent on building a team we spent on building John Delaney a new patio

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement