Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

McCLean wasn't the worst of them in fairness. Still think this week should be his last involvement with Ireland though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

if Kenny is sending out a team where McClean is entrusted to take set pieces then it begs a lot of questions, more of the quality of our players but also the manager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Yes but you have to put it in the context that he has been terrible for us for a number of years, hence people are starting from a baseline of him being terrible and then producing yet another terrible performance. As opposed to done of the other poor performers who had an off day/are inexperienced.

Look it, McClean was a roll the dice player; consistently inconsistent. now he’s rarely rolling a 5 or 6

connolly, Idah, Parrott are the same. You pick them, you roll the dice but they are kids so that’s fine.

doherty is in his prime, has his 20 caps work experience and is also now a roll the dice player.

McClean doesn’t offer solutions but neither do most of the attacking options

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

So you're telling me that the fact that Coleman didn't bother to close down Mahmudov is 100% on Kenny? Incredible. You would swear Azerbaijan were some mugs who conceded a tonne of goals. The last time they conceded more than 2 goals was back in June 2019. Some results which standout since then include the 1-1 draw vs Croatia and the 1-0 defeat vs Portugal (which was decided by an OG).

By the end of the game they were camped in their box and it made sense to attack like so. Pretty much all teams would have done the same so it's silly to start mentioning Pulis or whoever. Portugal did the same to us on Wednesday night. Countless crosses coming in and 99% dealt with easily. You're conveniently forgetting other parts of the game where we created a number of chances (especially the first 15 minutes) not playing this way. It's almost as if the team can change it up depending on the circumstances.

International football isn't like it used to be and a lot of these so called smaller teams have caught up with the rest. Look at Scotland yesterday. Playing Moldova who are ranked 175th and they managed to scrape past with a 1-0 win.

Azerbaijan are mugs, they lost to Luxembourg last Tuesday …. Oh right sorry..my bad

Would agree with a lot of that. But I think our other attacking options are less likely to kill the momentum of every attacking opportunity like McClean does. I don't think it's any coincidence that he wasn't on the pitch vs Portugal or Serbia when we looked more capable of nice attacking patterns of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What hope is he giving us? Hope that we will be in the bottom pot? At the moment, it's a toss up if we will end this campaign the bottom of the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,127 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I honestly believe we would be in that situation no matter who the coach is.

Couldn't really care if Kenny stays or goes but the plan is the right one

• Advertisement

True. These mugs also held one of the WC finalists to a 1-1 draw in 2019 in the Euro qualifying campaign.

These are the worst results we’ve ever had under any manager in our history. By far

maybe we’d be in this state under any manager but it seems that unlikely to me. The squad is no worst than what mick had in 2019 in my opinion. Unless you really really rate David Mcgoldrick.

A 1-1 draw is a bad result vs these lads though yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Azerbaijan are 112th in the world and have had 1 win in their last 13 games, which was a friendly win over Belarus. They were beaten 2-1 by Luxembourg on Wednesday. The idea we should accept performances like yesterday's is absurd.

By the end of the game, Kenny had thrown on Hourihane and Collins, so it's obvious it was a change of approach because the previous 75 odd minutes had been dismal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,127 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

But don't you know that all teams from "little" countries like the former eastern bloc ones have no right to be beating the mighty Ireland.

A large part of the problem with a certain sadly large set of the Irish fans is that they still think international football is the same as it was in the late 80s 90s.

Lads talking about minnows and don't realize that to those teams we are the minnows too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Curtis/Robinson/McClean woud have been better options than Parrott yesterday.

We played a 3-4-3 with the one actual winger starting (McClean) playing at wing back, and a full back with plenty of wing back experience (Coleman) playing centre back. No logical reason not to keep the same back 5 that played against Portugal (obvs keeping O'Shea substitution)

And the front 3 he selected composed of 3 strikers and no wide player - although Connolly has at least cameo'd out wide for Brighton and with Robinson having covid maybe he wasn't ready to start so could see why Connolly started. But sticking Parrott left was an odd choice as he is either a striker or #10. We had actual left wingers in the squad (McClean/Curtis) rather than shoving Parrott (or McClean to wingback) out of position.

If Kenny didn't want width he should have gone 3-4-1-2, restructuring the front 3 to have Parrott in behind Connolly and Idah.

His own selection didnt fit his own tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭deadduck

I’d add Molumby to that list. A great prospect, but probably his worst game for Ireland, summed up with his hairbrained arse barge on their keeper, which turned what was going to be an attacking corner into a free out ☹️

And Ireland have had 1 win in their last 15 games. So it seems as if both teams are struggling to get results at the moment and a draw isn't the craziest result you'll ever see (again, look at Azerbaijan's recent scorelines). We were in good company as Luzembourg also beat us. There's nothing absurd about accepting the performance. I think they've played better in previous matches, and some of the team selections were strange (starting with McClean, switching Coleman back to RCB), but performance-wise they did well yesterday. Apart from getting that second goal. They created enough to get it but they're just not clinical enough.

Well yeah, I did say it was a change of approach because the way the game panned out changed. I don't know what you're trying to say here. Are you forgetting the chances created before those subs came on?

It's a poor result but I'm not as surprised by it as others here seem to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

I really don't think much is going to change for the Irish team unless the players spread their wings and go further afield than England to play each week, or else someone comes along to really invest some proper money into the League of Ireland. Otherwise we're looking at a team of Championship journeymen and the occasional Premier League benchwarmer from here on out.

Cullen a perfect example of what you're suggesting. Can see significant improvement in his game since he has started playing regularly in Belgium.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t say I’m surprised but Kenny was managing the 32nd team in the world when he took over. Now we are losing to the 90th team and getting late equalizers vs the 112th team. It’s horrendous results wise whatever else it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ireland aren't 112th in the world (then again if Kenny gets another contract, who knows what might happen?). Azerbaijan have never been anything in football, whereas we have been a team that have tended to, at the very least, be competitive for a play-off spot. As regards the end of the game yesterday, the approach changed because the personnel changed, not the other way around. That was an acknowledgement that Plan A had been a disappointment.

I notice there seems to be an attempt under way by those who will never say a bad word against Kenny to try to rewrite our history, and portray us as being 'minnows' as an above comment put it. This is nonsense. Whatever one says about McCarthy, he left us with a play-off spot, and we at least made Denmark work for their automatic spot in the final minutes of that Dublin game in November, '19. We are now miles off that, and currently sit 5 points adrift of Luxembourg. If we are indeed 'minnows' now, we know who is to blame for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think our general play is better than it has been under previous managers. But the results have been poor. But its not like we've gone from consistent qualifiers to the current situation.

So yeah I've hope that if results can come then we'll be in a better spot than we have been at any point over the last few decades.

Yeah and I guess Croatia weren't 112th in the world (or whatever Azerbaijan were back then). The approach changed once they grabbed the opener. I don't know why you're trying to say otherwise. Plan A or whatever worked in terms of creating chances. The problem was finishing those chances (and this is something we're well used to at this stage). The way the game panned out was an acknowledgement that Azerbaijan were trying to hold on to their lead.

I notice that you're forgetting that I said I felt he made a mistake with the team selection yesterday. It's like you're trying to rewrite what I'm posting. Are you blaming Coleman for yesterday's result or is it easier for you to just focus on Kenny instead? It couldn't possibly be a combination of both players and management, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Was watching an interview with Andy Townsend last night talking about Jack Charlton and style of play.

He said Jack Charlton told him the following when he first appeared for Ireland:

"I see you play tippy tappy football with Norwich, good football. If you do that in my team once you'll never wear the green Jersey again"

The point being we can play like that, knock it around, have a really good game but we will always lose. Previous managers understood that.

We lose because we are trying to play technically superior teams at their own game. It doesn't matter that games may be "close", we won't get results.

I just think it can never work and you'd have to say the results are as expected for a team trying to play better technical teams (which is basically every country on the continent).

I think we need to ask whether this new style is right for us.

He reminds me of McClean when he tackles. Usually ends up giving a free away and will look perplexed whenever a ref pulls him up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rumplestiltskin

These so called minnows also have players playing at a higher level than our lads. Azerbaijan have players who have played champions league and Europa league in recent seasons. When did we last have players playing in these competitions on a regular basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Gmaximum

Lads, saw a few posts with people offering tickets at face value. The little lad wants to go to his first match but only premium available on ticketmaster at €100 each and no schoolboy option. If anyone has 2 tickets they need to shift let me know cheers

Got distracted by food. But to finish

The fact that against Portugal Kenny decided Omabamidele was the most suitable replacement for O'Shea (which made sense as a like for like CB for a CB) but then when it came to Azerbaijan he chooses McClean to start wingback instead while also then having to switch 2 of the other 4 defenders to accomodate McClean was another move that didnt suit team or the players involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

A mix is the best approach but the foundation of a decent football is a team of players comfortable with the ball.

I think we need to play the 50/50 ball that forward more often then we currently do, as I think a lot of our play can go backwards too often.

But I'd much rather watch a team of players comfortable passing the ball around their own half than a team who's first thought is to punt the ball over the top in complete hope.

Theres a much lower ceiling to the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Will be more baffling if Coleman goes back to RWB and Doherty LWB to Serbia. Fair enough Coleman playing there back in March might have been out of necessity, Duffy was in poor form and Egan was injured. But there's absolutely no reason that Coleman should have been moved back into CB yesterday.

112th ranked nation, most recent game a loss to Luxembourg

Especially since Omobamidele actually acquited himself so well in the Portugal game. If he had had a mare then dropping him out would have made sense but he did well, and his reward was to just go back to the bench?

Sure our squad is limited but needlessly tryna squash square pegs into round holes while we HAVE round pegs is really not helping matters.

They haven't conceded more than 1 goal in over a year, and lost 1-0 to Portugal. They are no mugs and as I mentioned probably have players playing at I higher level than Ireland do. We have no right to expect to just turn up and beat the likes of Azerbaijan at our current level. That said if we had taken one of our early early chances the game may have turned out differently. If we are to dismiss Kenny where do we go next? Back to the days of hoofing the ball over everybody and waiting for the pressure to come straight back on us?

Surely Coleman is out? He pulled something with about 5 mins to go yesterday and could barely move for the remainder of the match.

They conceded 2 goals to Luxembourg on Wednesday

Fair enough that was the first time in over a year. Do you disagree that they have players at a higher standard than our players?

No, I wouldn’t agree. Most people will not agree.

It's also another 90mins of international football under his belt. He talks up young players but drops one after a good debut. There's no news about him picking up any knocks pre game so there should have been no reason why he didn't start and would love to know why he started Coleman at CB

Similar Jamie McGrath. Now I can understand if you didn't want to start him from the start but not to bring him on for Molumby who wasn't offering anything and letting him sit on the bench all night is another baffling decision after a good debut.

I really wanna see him succeed but he often does himself no favours with his odd team selection last night.

• Advertisement

You don't think that players who have been regulars in the Europa league and played in the champion's league group stage are playing at a higher level than the championship or league one?

Not sure and haven't seen anything online about it. Would have surely came up in his post match interviews unless we hear about it tomorrow.

No, I don’t.

112th in the world, achieved nothing as an international side, lost most recently to Luxembourg, rated on transfermarkt.com as having a total squad value of around the same as Matt Doherty’s transfer fee.

i wish you well tuning into Qarabag matches religiously to see their quest for CL and Europa league glory

Since you love rankings so much, Qarabag are ranked the joint 67th best team in Europe according to UEFA. How many players to we have playing for sides ranked higher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't know what to think about yesterday. Basically 3 players on each wing with the 2 DMs and Idah the only players occupying 50 odd metres in the middle. How are you supposed to break teams down with absolutely nobody who can get on the ball in the middle and play through the lines? A bonkers setup and I still can't believe it was persisted with after half time.

dundalk are ranked 126th in europe in a far more crowded field so Dundalk are as close to Qarabag as Azerbaijan close to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Duffy coming out in defence of Kenny, I think. That last night was on them as players.

Not the first time he's done that. And Coleman has said similar in the past. Yet there are some on here who think Kenny doesn't have their respect. Nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ive never seen us in this position before.

Out of qualification after two games. Winless in four. Beaten and held by lesser opposition at home already.

I just can't see us finishing higher than fourth. Tbh, to do even that, we'd need a result in Ajerbajan (sp) that I can't see.

I won't ever believe we don't have the players to beat Luxembourg and Ajerbaijan at home. That's the bread and butter and we can't do it.

We are playing a bit more in our own half, it's true. But it has led to dangerous moments and a needless peno.

They only goals we score are from crosses to big CBs.

I've never been so downcast. Yeah it's pointless sacking Kenny now because he has made the campaign unsalvageable but does that mean he should stay on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Duffy getting back to something like his old self has been one of the few consolations this week.

Well if his contract is up at the end of this campaign (does anyone actually know when it's up?) then I don't see the point of sacking him now if Jim Crawford is gonna take interim charge for the rest of the campaign. No point trying to rush in a new manager either ASAP just to give Kenny the boot.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement