Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021 US Open

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Very good match in the end. Saw a bit of a nasty side to Osaka in the end too, trying to stall Fernandez when she was serving it out. Not good, happy she's gone after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭klr87

Well, that was a shocker to wake up to, If I'd any inkling it was going to be that close (never mind a shock result), I might have stayed up to watch, although I was dog tired before it even started. Osaka is now going to take another "break" from tennis: https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/58446098

Those $50 million per annum sponsors must be loving their return on investment with all the breaks.

Not sure that much fitness and training has been put in. Bit of a Ned Kelly on her.

Between 10 to 15 lbs out of shape seems to be the consensus. No surprise when she's played so little in the last 5 months or so: Only 13 matches since she lost in Miami at the end of March. She also seems to have problems against lef-handers. Her last 3 defeats have been against lefties: Vondrousova in the Olympics, Teichmann in Cincinnati, and now Fernandez here.

There are no challenges at the US Open this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If tennis is making Osaka that miserable she should just quit. No job should do that to you, no matter how much it pays or how good you are at it. I'm sure she's made enough by now anyway to do something else with her life without ever having to work a day.

Wow Alcaraz coming out there yesterday and absolutely blowing Tsitsipas off the court for the first set and a half was one of the most exciting things seen in tennis in years.

Especially when you consider that Tsitsipas was actually hitting 72% of first serves in in the first set but he was broken 4 times in his first 6 service games.

Guy is a returning beast player - like all the very elite-level ones are - it's the most important ability in tennis.

Then to be able to rally back after his game going off target in the second set and from 5-2 down in the third set to take the breaker and again, after he couldn't even serve properly due to a cramp or injury to win the match in the fifth with groundstrokes and all-court inventiveness.

To be able to do that and win 2 tie-breaks in the biggest tennis stadium in the world on your first appearance there against the world number 3 who had gotten into his full game rhythm.

Has it mentally also.

If he's not injured Alcaraz has a chance of getting to the semi-final here if he can back up that performance.

A star is born.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What a night of tennis was last week. Nadal said back in March that Alcaraz was going to be a star. It was some game of tennis he played yesterday.

As for Osaka, I was thinking last night that she could walk away from tennis. No point in playing if you can't handle the pressure of the game. Tennis is a mentality game and anything off mentally you are going to be in trouble. I thought she didn't look fit out there last night and in the last set she was tanking those first few games with not taking time between serves. Probably best for the girl to walk away. She has a enough money to live a quiet life. Quite how her sponsors will feel will be another thing.

Actually Alcaraz is now favourite to win his quarter

No pressure.

(ignore legacy Tsits odds)

Yevgeni calls it.

Can't disagree.

Youngest player to reach the US Open fourth round since Michael Chang and Pete Sampras in 1989.

Just as some old goats are gone out to pasture, the new kid takes his place on the court.

The future of men's tennis looking bright with this guy who really has it, unlike what some were scratching on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looking forward to the Raducanu match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As am I. I’ve caught the end of her two games but now I get to watch the game in full. That Djokovic match could go on a while if the first set is anything to go by.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

First blood to Nishikori. Now how many games does he win after this?

That second game took a while. Raducanu is 2-0 in the first set.

She is hammering her so far!

4-0 playing some lovely stuff

Emma Raducanu is 5-0 in the first set.

Make that 6-0 and she takes the first set. It’s nuts she’s only 18 years old.

Djokovic not fluent here

Lost the first set but a break up in the second

He wiped the floor with Nishikori in the Olympics

Sorribes-Tormo will have nightmares over this match.

• Advertisement

Raducanu wins...6-0, 6-1

Wow some performance!

Relentless

Good thing that the UK media are restrained and level headed and doesn’t overhype their sports people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Had to turn off Prime Video there after her match. Nauseating.

Wow, I expected that Raducanu match would be in full swing when I got back home just now. She should be in the top 100 after next week. I smell a wild card for the delayed Indian Wells tournament in October. As the deadline for that has passed, she wouldn't get in directly no matter how well she did here. Speaking of which, she probably plays Barty next.

In fairness on the WTA side there have been 7 first-time GS winners under 18 over the years.

3 have won first slams as 16 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Looks like Raducanu's run at Wimbledon wasn't a flash in the pan, not bad getting to the second week in her first 2 slams, by Wimbledon next year the hype around her will be insane.

Alcaraz looks like the real deal and probably the best prospect to emerge since the big 3 themselves, could well be the guy that takes over from Djokovic. Looks like Medvedev, Zverev and even Tsitsipas could well be running out of time to take over from Djokovic with the likes of Alcaraz and Sinner coming through snapping at their heels.

• Advertisement

But not since they tightened up the age eligibility rules to reduce the chances of youngsters burning out.

One of those 3 was of course Seles in the 1990 French. I still remember her reaching the semi-final the previous year at just 15 years old, losing to Graf in 3 sets.

Anyway, Novak looks like he's going to win, but not without a fight. Nishikori has always been able to get at the Djokovic serve, even though the last time he beat him was the SF here in 2014. Since then, 17 losses in a row (cue obligatory Vitas Gerulaitis reference ...)

Christ the commentary after on Amazon prime....

A bit of perspective...she has played terrifically well...but she hasn't even beat a seed yet!

This monfils vs sinner match is fun!

Yeah it was fairly over the top but it’s not like it’s new. Well whatever happens on Monday I hope she isn’t embarrassed by presumably Ash Barty(although in sport you never say never) on a big court but it’s a good story.

last sixteen-year old GS winner was Hingis

Capriati got to a RG semi-final at 14 which is a joke really.

• Advertisement

Pliskova - a demon off the court no doubt.

vs Tomljanović

both not exactly all-around players but effective.

Pliskova going to smash-serve her way to the first set here.

Ash Barty hasn’t had the best start and is 3-1 down.

Shelby Rodgers is serving for the first set at 5-2.

Shelby Rodgers takes the first set 6-2.

Ash Barty levels it up at 1 set all after winning it 6-1.

Jenson brooksby wins in five sets which is amazing given when I last saw it, he was hobbling around.

jaysus ash Barty had match point at 5-2 in the third and it’s now 5-5.

Ash Barty is out. So Emma Raducanu will play Shelby Rodgers on Monday. Barty was 5-2 up in the third set and lost.

Is it really an upset?, if we've learned anything about the women's game over the last few years, it is to expect the unexpected, pretty much anyone left could win it. The men's is the total opposite, anything other than Djokovic winning will be surprising.

• Advertisement

Shapo goes out in 3 x 6-4 sets to Harris (ATP 46)

Seems like his game is more suited to the grass really

Shapo had a break ahead in set 2 but lost it back

Some DF'ng in there

Harris has had a good year and faces Opelka who beat Basilashvili

Opelka is huge but has a groundstroke game to some extent beyond the serve

Opelka fined $10,000 for carrying some of his stuff in a carrier bag from a Belgian art Gallery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Djokovic to play 20 year Jenson Brooksby next.

He shouldn't expect much crowd support for that :)

Well not as if he's not used to it.

If Osaka had a bit of cop on she'd phone up Djokovic for a bit of tough love advice.

As it is she's taking another break to fill up more on Ben and Jerry's

Osaka could well be finished at the top level, she has the talent, just doesn't seem to have the mentality to deal with the off court pressures, also seems to have lost the hunger/ love of the game. Even though she's young, she's had a good deal of success and also financially secure for life so doesn't really need to play again. I think she'll probably continue for a couple more seasons, go through the motions if only to satisfy the sponsors and then call it a day by 25/26.

you're right - doesn't seem to be able to handle it on a few different levels

and aside from issues you have to have the desire - essential pat of being a player

I was reading there recently about a young woman in Ireland who made a suicide attempt and only 90-something days later did she get a first appointment with a mental health professional

Osaka's issues are minor in comparison and also in comparison to the young Irish woman she has unlimited resources to address it

I think desire and hunger is massive at elite level sports, with the odd exception there isn't a huge amount of difference in skill levels at elite level, but, having the desire and hunger to dig in when things aren't going your way that's what often makes the difference. I think it's part of the reason the woman's game is so unpredictable, players get a bit of success, become financially secure for life and their desire and hunger drops off.

It's the main reason I'd always back Djokovic against the younger guys, as well as being a great player, most don't have that desire, hunger and drive to the same level that he has. We even see it with Nadal and Federer, even though their bodies are starting to fail them now, they are still refusing to accept defeat, lesser players would have just retired considering what they've achieved. Until the younger guys at least match Djokovic's desire, hunger and drive, they cannot hope to overtake him, especially at the grand slams.

Evans vs Medvedev prob ko roughly 615 this evening.

I get the feeling Medvedev will blow him away but we will see!

might be a little early but I really do see something of that nature of Djokovic in Alcaraz (as well as the talent and the application)

Hopefully he has it and it doesn't get diminished as he becomes successful. The men's game certainly needs someone like that to emerge for Djokovic to pass on the baton to. To me the likes of Medvedev, Zverev and Tsitsipas while having all the skills are lacking in the desire and hunger to win when it really counts, it's often why we see them fall against fairly average players at the slams, they don't consistently have that force of will to turn things around like the big 3 did over the years. They are essentially hoping and waiting for Djokovic to drop to their level, it would be funny after waiting this long for the big 3 to go, if the likes of Alcaraz and Sinner come along to overtake them and takeover from Djokovic when he does eventually go.

• Advertisement

who knows Alcaraz could get injured, run off with some crazy Spanish model or whatever.

Him, Sinner and Mussetti in order of decreasing ability imo are the young guns coming through.

Alcaraz spectacular in his rise as all the very best do.

Showed a lot of qualities, both skills / ability wise and character / mental strength in that 5 set match

Zverev took a long time to develop but it getting there.

Tsitsipas will be back also.

And Medvedev

Advertisement