Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini-ITX 4k/UW gaming build

Options
  • 05-09-2021 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 31,063 ✭✭✭✭

After last years successful Portable gaming rig build (thanks for the help on that one) I think it's time for me to go again, this time for my own use.

I've little interest in competitive shooters as I'd be beaten by a one-armed ten year old, so I'm aiming for maximum eye candy at 4k/60fps in action/adventure and RTS games.

I currently have a 4K OLED TV and a 4K monitor, neither of which will go higher than 60Hz, but I might get a 42" LG OLED (which will do higher refresh rates) if and when they arrive in 2022. Or an ultrawide.

Priorities: fast, quiet, small but not cramped. Can't be bothered with overclocking, and I might even undervolt the GPU to reduce noise and heat if necessary.

How's this look? https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/list/N9Mb7X

Here's my reasoning, does it make sense?

• Case: NR200. Inspired by Optimum Tech's Ultra Airflow, Zero RGB - 1440p ITX Gaming Build, it apparently has more GPU space than the TU150 case I used before despite being smaller, and I don't need the carry handle of the TU150.
    • CPU: 11400f is reportedly good bang for buck, and I don't expect to be CPU limited with 4k gaming.
    • Motherboard: only supports 3200 memory but is much cheaper than the MSI MPG B560I I was looking at as an alternative, and I've read that RAM speed doesn't matter so much on Intel.
    • GPU: I've specced a 3080 Ti as it "only" seems to be a couple of hundred more than the insane prices for the 3080. I picked an MSI Ventus in the parts list as they're reportedly decent, but I'll probably take what I can find.
    • Storage: I've gone for a very fast 2TB M.2 as seems a bit more future proof (I might upgrade the mobo and cpu in a couple of years). I definitely need 2TB with the size of modern games as my broadband is quite slow so I don't want to be uninstalling/re-installing games regularly.
    • RAM: I've gone for 3600 even though the mobo only supports 3200 as I can carry it over to a future upgrade. Is it true that 2x8 is faster than 1x16? I don't think I need more than 16GB for gaming, do I?
    • CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B. I used it on the last build and it was so pretty. Is it overkill for a 65W TDP CPU?
    • PSU: the Corsair 750 seems popular, and as I don't expect to running powerful CPUs I'd have thought 750W would be enough even with a 3080Ti.
    • Fans: dunno. How many fans do I need? I used 3 x ARCTIC P12 PWM before, but those were with a different case and a smaller FE GPU which blows out the back of the case. Will I need (slim?) fans under the GPU?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The RAM isn't really limited to 3200MHz, that board can handle RAM at much higher speeds through XMP profiles. It's just the official Intel spec only supports 3200MHz, which everyone just ignores. 3600MHz stuff will provide a small performance benefit.

2x8GB will provide more memory bandwidth, as it'll use both memory channels, as opposed to just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,063 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ooh, this Lian Li Q58 looks tasty. Seems to support ATX power supply with full size GPU. Not sure whether ATX PSU will give me better noise/thermals than the Corsair SF 750W though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Why the need for an ITX case though? It'll make cooling awkward, especially given the 300W power usage of 3080Ti. Have you considered an AIO for the CPU? It'd cool more directly to the outside than the Scythe Mugen would.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,063 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I want an ITX because they're cute and I hate towers. I appreciate that they're functionally better, but I've spent decades around ugly equipment at work and I don't want stuff in my private life that reminds me of a 1990s office. 😀

I think the NR200 can take an AIO. Are they really much better than a bunch of case fans though?

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

I built an ITX NR200P build recently. Originaly a Ryzen 3600 & RX6700XT but upgraded to an RX6800XT. Image's are on the image heavy thread. No thermal or heating issues, infact it's thermally a better performer than my MATX Fractual Design Node build.

There's a new range of the NR200P coming out with new colours, I'm considering downsizing my MATX build to one of the funky new colours. It's a great case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Consider the Phanteks P200A too.

It's not true SFF (29.9L) but can more easily fit big components.

Review: https://hardwarecanucks.com/computer-cases/phanteks-p200a-review/

An AIO would shift a lot more heat, and quicker than a simple heatsink. Given the small space involved, and somewhat low level of case fans that tend to be possible on an ITX case, I'd be inclined towards it. But I tend to go overkill on cooling stuff, so bear that in mind.

Advertisement