Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair ground handling

Options
  • 05-09-2021 6:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I'm curious, why does Ryanair do it's own ground handling at Dublin? If I'm right it's pretty much the only airport they operate into that it isn't outsourced.

I'm guessing with them it's a money thing? Or is there other stuff at play, such as them wanting to be able to show other ground handling companies how it's done/trial out new procedures here first/or is it simply their home turf and want to be in charge at Dublin?

Also if I'm wrong about it being the only airport they handle themselves, where else do they run their own operation?

For an airline that is so focused on the bottom line in truth I'm guessing the costs of running it themselves are the lowest in the business. Anyhow anyone with experience or more knowledge, please explain it all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Id imagine that because they have so many aircraft based at Dublin that it would be prohibitive to leave that scale of operations to an agent... it’s probable that not one of the single agents would be of the ability to handle Ryanair... without investing in serious numbers of staff, GSE, more office space... they might not want or be of the ability to do the gig.

Also self handling IS the most efficient way to operate.. having seen and experienced both sides of the coin....

example...

FRXXXX goes tech on stand, aircraft becomes serviceable 90 minutes after the scheduled push... captain calls for tug and pushback crew... X handling agent “ sorry, our crews are now dealing with flights operating to schedule, we don’t have anybody for you, we’ll be back as soon as we can”...

a delay of 90 minutes becomes 120 minutes very quickly...

self handling, the pushback lads are worst case a radio call and 5 minutes away. YOU rejig and plan to meet YOUR needs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I have a feeling they have their own staff in Knock too but can’t confirm. I’m certain they used to and I’ve never heard that it changed

"Id imagine that because they have so many aircraft based at Dublin that it would be prohibitive to leave that scale of operations to an agent... it’s probable that not one of the single agents would be of the ability to handle Ryanair... without investing in serious numbers of staff, GSE, more office space... they might not want or be of the ability to do the gig."

If that was the case, they'd also do it at Stansted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

They self handle in Spain to with Azul Handling, I think they took over at Stansted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

In late 2018 Ryanair appointed OmniServ as their ground handling partner at London Stansted, replacing Swissport. OmniServ would operate as Blue Handling and staff at Swissport were offered contracts with the new company.

I’m not entirely sure it can be classed as ‘in house’ but they definitely appear to work much more closely and under a single Ryanair brand.

I think the Blue Handling brand is very smart and goes a long way in creating the impression of a unified, single business looking after passengers at every step of their journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ro23

ok, yes, seems they're going that way at their big hubs with these more unifed partnerships. I wonder is it that they don't want the hassle of staffing/management etc to be running the thing entirely themselves, but as Dublin is home and they probably have it run like a well oiled machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ryanair are or were due to go self handling at STN. There is a reason. Seriously more expensive but seriously more efficient and effective.

agents in DUB would need serious investment in GSE to change Ryanair from self handling to contract agent like Swissport... the competitive nature of ground handling operations has meant in my experience agents scrimping on staff, equipment and various other operating efficiencies. Nothing safety wise but in terms of trying to get away on time, you are at an uncontrollable mercy.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Hopefully, with the passage of considerable time and several changes of ownership and management, things have improved at Dublin, there was a time when there were significant safety issues, due entirely to maintenance issues with everything from baggage dollies to high loaders and push back tugs and access stairs, and it was made worse by a complete lack of understanding from people in management about what was happening and the risks involved.

It makes a lot of sense for Ryanair to have a dedicated operation, they effectively only operate one aircraft type, so it is much easier to standardise everything, push back tugs, towbars, belt loaders, and several other items can be absolutely standard, they can have an absolute standard training for pretty much every procedure that happens, and there's no issues about other aspects of the handling, which is very much different from a general handler, who can be dealing with everything from a small 19 seater turbo prop to a 777-300 that's on a full turnround with catering, cleaning, toilet and water service, and a full load of cargo, and that level of difference requires a very different level of equipment, experience and training for the people on the ramp, and then something like a diplomatic flight with full formalities on the ramp, including a red carpet (which has to be literally nailed to the ramp) , and you are in to a completely different mind set in terms of how those flights are handled.

A Ryanair flight is very unlikely to have 9 battery powered wheelchairs to go into the back hold of the aircraft, which was the situation one morning after the paralymics when the Canadian team were going home. There was no way to put them up a belt loader into the back hold of a 767, so we had to get creative to even get them into the aircraft, and due to a total lack of communication from check in, the first the ramp crew knew about it was when the team were loaded on to the aircraft, and we were advised of the chairs in the airbridge. That was a disaster in itself, as every chair then had to be taken back into the terminal to get it down to ground level, before it could then be put into a spare container and loaded via a high loader to be put into the rear hold by opening the dividing curtain. The flight went late as a result, as the dispatcher also had to revise the weight and balance sheet due to the significant weight that was right at the back of the aircraft.

It's strange, the airlines spend massive sums training the aircraft crews, flight deck and cabin crew, and they all have to meet very high standards and be regularly rechecked, but those same airlines demand handling at rock bottom prices, and as a result, the ground handling providers are caught between a rock and a hard place, so something has to give. 20 or so years ago, the result was an unpleasant working enviroment, and fatal accidents happened because of a lack of appropriate managment involvement in critical safety areas, and the militance of certain unions did not help that situation. Things have improved some now, but it took a significant change of attitude from DAA before it happened.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement