Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭mcgragger

Dublin were clueless.

Well beaten by a team that wanted it more

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Meath were head and shoulders the better team... they were excellent...

over the course of the game from the throw in Dublin never led even once.

an excellent 60 minute plus performance from Meath...Dublin never recovered from that blistering start from Meath, 5 points ahead after 6 minutes... that’s a pretty nice platform... they played pretty intelligent football, minded the football and worked for each other...not to take away from their victory but awful lot of tactical fouling, forearms and rugby style tackling by the Meath girls again towards the end with Dublin going forward outside their 45 ... GAA and officials really need a clamp down going forward, it’s becoming a bit of a tactical blight on the sport...it’s not good but that said, Meath fully deserved their victory..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Did it bother you when your 6 in a row were at it for years, or is this just a new gripe the last couple of weeks?

We achieved victory through skill and scoreboard dominance.. :)

Have you anything to add about the game being discussed or just more whataboutary... about what you have convinced yourself happened but outside of your disneytime, didnt ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

i suppose with the clock counting down the team ahead has nothing to loose by stopping their oppenents by any means getting in for a goal if time was added it might be different did not see the end of the cork meath game so do not know how cork let that happen .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,784 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

One of the best matches I was at in a long time male or female. Meath movement and pace damn impressive nonstop stuff. Plus you could see the level of training Meath did in their moves. Twice Troy (the corner back) pointed in the same rehearsed move.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I thought Dublin got away with a lot in the first half. On 2 separate occasions the ref could easily have sent a Dublin defender off for 10 minutes. One was a clear forearm to the chest in a 'thou shall not pass' style tackle. Another Dublin player made clear contact with the face of a Meath player and the ref gave a free to Dublin. Vicky Wall was clobbered with an arm over her shoulder, bringing her to the ground and the ref gave Dublin a free, saying she over carried.

I find it rather Incredulous to then see you posting about how the GAA should clamp down on tactical fouling because of......Meath.

Ive plenty of comments on this forum and its not because of Meath ... you are simply making stuff up sadly..but its a tactical trend that is infecting the sport now... for the sport it needs to be addressed..

dublin ladies won their last 4 championships with an ‘average’ 7 point margin of victory across the games.. spending 60 plus minutes hanging out of people a la Meath won’t enable those margins of victory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Yes....of course....I am making stuff up....its not because of Meath ...." awful lot of tactical fouling , forearms and rugby style tackling by the Meath girls...."

It's glaringly obvious that you only see what the other team do and not what your own team does.

Making stuff up......indeed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

You literally called out Meath in your post! As ShamoBuc said, Dublin were absolutely blessed not to get at least a couple more yellows, especially after Niamh O'Sullivan got clocked in the head in the first half, referee didn't even give a free. But of course, everything goes against Dublin in every single game according to you, right?

Commiserations to Dublin and fair play to Mick Bohan for being so gracious in defeat.

• Advertisement

I was of course discussing Meath but the malaise of refereeing in general...but today hmmmm

the problem isn’t players benefitting from the odd oversight... but the inability or unwillingness of referees to be brave enough to clamp down on teams shutting down games and stopping the opposition by tactical mass fouling especially around or before the 45... it’s becoming a cancer..players have never been fitter in general, more fast and skillful... those attributes need to be enabled. No matter who is playing or the score.

also certain referees I’ve noticed, depending on a game situation, tailoring their refereeing style to suit a particular team...a team winning by 8 points, but their player gets hauled to the deck inside the rectangle with a minute to go, penalty, you’d think, lots of refs just let that go...’be tough on x loosing team’ mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Better team won but that very avoidable goal cost us

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

I don’t know what game you were watching. As a neutral watching on, Dublin did some amount of cyncical fouling in the first 15 mins to prevent goal chances. I thought the referee was far too lenient on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The problem is your inability or unwillingness to look at your own teams behavior. Every team is at it to some extent except for Dublin according to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I missed this when it was posted; and yeah, damn right!

If they never win another for another 60 years, this year will be worth it. I remember 2011, I didn't give a shoite about a legacy or a dynasty, I just wanted to win that one!

I've mulled over declarations of it being "the best day of my life" on here a few times, but I can't think of much else (especially in a non-sporting context anyway), but the sheer joy and relief and happiness that I and those around me and the other million and a half of us, around the country and around the world felt that day, can never be calculated, just like if the Green and Red prevail next week. The 2022 season will rock around soon enough, but just enjoy it for what it is.

8 days on and I still smile that Tyrone won. God I love been such a bitter fúcker sometimes.

Hard luck to the Jackies today. But I was not expecting the Mordoreens to do what they did with such aplomb.

Some run that both our senior football teams have been on. Hopefully both defeats are merely the beginnings' of the next chapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Strumms - You're going mad. I watched most of the first half and all of the second half. The ref was giving free after free to Dublin for a large portion of the game, whilst penalising Meath for overcarrying. One play stood out completely - I think it was the Meath number 12. Going through with the ball, great determination. bumped into the Dublin player, and Ref gives a free out for presumably charging. Ridiculous stuff. Maybe others would agree, but there is no way I could see how someone could watch the match and think that Meath got the rub of the green in the match yesterday when it came to refereeing decisions.

But then again, you were saying that Conor Lane practically gifted the match to Mayo in the gents game against Dublin. So, who knows what your though process is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mattie Kenny staying on as Hurling boss.

Not sure how I feel about it, he's a good manager, but the last few years have seemed like a missed opportunity more than anything else. I suppose it's hard to go anywhere with the current crop when there seems to be a mental block or something on taking the next step. We have the players to do better I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Shows the level of ambition that the county board has for hurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Ah that's a bit unfair. Mattie's not a no hoper filling a gap. He has decent pedigree.

Having said that i would have preferred a change.

I despise the man but someone like Davey Fitzgerald, a man with infectious enthusiasm, is what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

So Jamesy gets a one game ban and J Small nothing. It’s the correct decision, as James did strike back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, that would be my choice too, despite my dislike of him. Half of the work that he does with teams is turning around their heads, and that's precisely what our guys need. Still though, Kenny might come good next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Would love someone like Davy he annoys the hell out of me on occasions but he would be the type of character that I feel would raise us up a notch .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,865 ✭✭✭billyhead

If only Anthony Daly could have been persuaded to return. Eddie Brennan may be a candidate in the future. Is he now the Cuala manager or is it still Willie Maher?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Keeping Kenny is the right move for me. For the first time in a long time we look to be making moves in the right direction. I think without the players lost to COVID before the Kilkenny game we would have gone very close to beating Kilkenny. And doing playing some bloody good hurling as well. Let's see if he can bring them on next year.

As for Davy, thanks but no thanks. Wouldn't want him within an asses roar of the team.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd say Jrant isnt thinking about Dublin hurling today 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

And you'd be right 😆

Tyrone were well worth the win today and looked like they didn't have to do a whole lot during the game to win it either.

Mayo, as is their want when not playing us forgot how to play football.

Now that the dust has settled on the championship I can safely say it was mostly dross. We were muck all year and still somehow nearly managed to get into a final.

The football is in need of a huge shakeup as it's gone awfully stale. A league format with a grand final might put some spark back into it. If they continue on this path, well, best of luck to them but it won't be for the good of the game.

Feck it, maybe Mayo could get Davy in with his 43 backroom staff.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

if you think it’s stale now, imagine a league format.

where there is less value placed on a victory. Look at the actual league competition...hmmm

knockout football you have one or two bites at the cherry...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Gael85

Advertisement