Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Latest guest, perhaps a bit too high brow for our leftie friends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Either that or they're digging up nobodies again.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

An old timey actor with an amateur opinion to join the old timey darts player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Christopher Biggins, the openly gay yet slightly homophobic Christopher biggins? The anti semitic Christopher biggins? THAT Christopher biggins???

Also, can you explain what exactly he said in the clip you posted that you find to be "high brow"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I remember when Christopher Biggins was cool...

Well...maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

'We had to get out of Europe. They were taking us for a ride. They're still taking us for a ride!' Says Biggins, inadvertently outlining the nonsense/futility of Brexit.

Luckily for him GB News or its supporters never noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Biggins? Lmfao

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

GB News doesn't exist to challenge the viewer or to inform them. It exists to make them feel special and valued like any echo chamber.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

Many on the Left just cannot understand how a ragingly flamboyant homosexual in Christopher Biggins can support Maggie Thatcher, Nigel Farage, Brexit, and appear on GB News itself.

It's a positive thing that Biggins appeared on GB News. It demonstrates that what GB News represents is acceptable to a large number of homosexuals who you'd think - if you were to believe the opposition - would never touch the channel with a bargepole. Same with the many black presenters on GB News.

In fact, you could argue that GB News is more diverse, ethnically inclusive, and representative than many other TV channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I reckon his political outlook was formed through playing Nero in his youth...

And yet it's still tanking, Presenters taking extended "holidays" and the only guests they seem to be able or want to book are people who are anti semitic, racists, wife beaters etc

Erm, since when has Biggins represented a large amount of gay people? Like he was in the minority of gay people that opposed same sex marriage.... So he amounts to an outlier more than anything. Biggins isn't a draw for anyone btw. How are those viewing figures going? Some extra YouTube followers to speak of?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You could argue it, but you'd first have to at least back it up with stats if you're going to make such a large, demonstrative claim. Is gb news more diverse? I would say no, but by all means we should do the math, rather than speak in biased flourishes.

And the idea Biggins is somehow representative of gay demographics is also a fairly big swing. I doubt Biggins has been representative of anything except himself in years.

Again, if you say the LGBTQ community trends conservative, by all means show some stats cos the proof of this pudding is often in the resistance towards rights offered to each letter in that acronym. Especially the T of late. It's the demographics who GB News wants to speak to who are more inclined towards legislation against the rainbow flag.

I but Eskimohunt would say the exact same thing if he were here 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No. It demonstrates an exception to the rule. It's like Candace Owens or Dan Bongino shilling for the racist Donald Trump.

• Advertisement

GB "news" numbers tanking and Neil unlikely to return, it's just embarrassing at this stage that people still try to say it's not sinking.

"But with Mr Neil expected back next week, sources are now saying no such return is likely, with some claiming it is unlikely he will ever return to the channel."

"Figures from BARB viewing data now show the average number of people tuning in to GB News has dropped by more than 20,000 per day since the channel's launch.

A week after the channel launched, GB News had sustained a viewership of 38,000.

By July 16, this had dropped to 18,000, and by August 12, this was 17,000."

He doesn't even promote them on twitter.

"However, Mr Neil has found time to make an appearance on Friday’s edition of an online show produced by the Spectator, where he is chairman.

He also promoted it on his Twitter account, despite criticism that he never promotes GB News via Twitter."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Biggins clip, finally watching it, has me confused. The affected "oh you can't say that!" from Farage, that it's a career ruiner? Are they trying to make Brexit support part of the victim complex now? The side that "won" and continues to direct policy? The British press is almost universally Brexit neutral at best, while the infamous 52/48 vote split hardly ever suggested anything except a divided nation. But there's no doubt the narrative is pro-Brexit; it's not the non-PC thing.

I suppose it could be that Biggins is gay, that it might ruin his career for having the "wrong" views but then ... what career? I doubt anyone under the age of 30 even knows or cares who he is, and even someone older than that like me couldn't tell you why I know his name. One of those ooh matron types from the time of Don't Ask, Don't Tell if I had to guess?. Maybe he's a stalwart of BBC radio 4 but 🤷 again, the victim complex has to find something to worry about.

The irony is the liberalisation of Britain in the 80s,90s and 00s allowed older men like Biggins to stop playing coy about their sexuality, to drop the mincing, wink-wink act so common in the variety theatre background of British culture. Not that he owes fealty to a cause but the dreaded lefty liberalism has allowed the Biggins of this world to live an honest life.

Imagine being the talent manager or whatever the job title is that has to book guests for Farage.

Imagine him, bursting into the room where the production meeting is taking place and breathlessly announcing "GUYS, I've only gone and done it, I've only gone and managed to book Christopher frikkin Biggins!!!"

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I don't know who Christopher Biggins is.

For a brief second I thought they had got Christopher Hitchens

• Advertisement

He's one of those jobbing actors and entertainers who was all over British telly in the 70s and whose public persona was of the Kenneth Williams brand of obvious camp; the don't-ask-questions generation where people who knew, knew, and otherwise Biggins would play the mincing camp characters to audiences' amusement. Remarkably the station found a celebrity even less culturally relevant than a retired darts champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

He is far less interesting than a tracker mortgage for one thing 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

To be frank, gay people should be on their knees thanking the left for everything they've fought for over the 20th Century with regards to their rights, cos it's sure as shit wasn't ever going to come from the conservatives.

With regards to Biggins, the "what career" angle is correct. He hasn't had any kind of career to ruin in decades. I was actually surprised he was still alive in fact. But I suppose his appearance on GBeebies is a little bit of exposure for him. In addition, his career is certainly not going to be ruined in any way by expressing a support for Brexit. That very notion is utterly ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Infamy, infamy, they all have it in for me. No wait, that was Kenneth Williams.

I'm ashamed of you for not saying "Neil meets head" 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dunno why some GB News are lofting Biggins as an example of how GBNews definitely isn't homophobic and how Mercy as a presenter means they can't be racist.

Its the literal example of "I cant be racist I have one black friend".

And also ignores gay people can be homophobic and black people racist.

No, it's an attempt to whitewash the argument. Rather than accept that Mercy Muroki is simply just a conservative, you must diminish her existence by saying that she is somehow racist or abets racism. It's the age-old argument from the Left that "you're not really black unless you have the right opinions".

Now THAT is racist.

Calvin Robinson, another GB News host, received the same abuse on Twitter; that he could not be a black man and have certain opinions. He was almost in tears the other day on GB News because of this mentality. And yes, he described it as racist too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jaysus I could swear I read this exact post before. You remind me of someone.

It's the age-old argument from the Left that "you're not really black unless you have the right opinions".

What utter bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Of course; liberal thinking and empathy opened the doors for the very rights people like Biggins now enjoy. There should and can be space for economic conservativism and maybe that's Biggins' catchment, but social conservatism is fundamentally antithetical to the notion of equal rights, or recognition for those outside of "family values", as those in Hungary and the like like to mask their prejudices. I'd challenge anyone to name a social conservative leader who was an ally to those in the rainbow, or even just the female of the species in many cases. An ally in transformative, legislative ways. The name of the term itself is always clue, being inherently resistant to changes to any given social structure. To conserve the status quo, the familiar.

It's the "age old" part that has me tickled. Like Anne has seen this time and time again, tutting to herself wryly. It is, as you say, utter bollocks of the highest order - to a degree it almost defies parsing.

So GB News dug up some aul fella from the days when TV was in black and white. Suppose it would suit the theme of yesterdays' conservatism on yesterday's medium if nothing else.

Why do I get the feeling that if the guests present on GB News happened to reside on the opposite side of the political spectrum, we wouldn't be seeing the horrific levels of personal abuse and sarcasm levelled against them.

Simple. You're parroting a victim narrative as if conservatives haven't been culturally and financially gouging and denuding society for decades because you know deep down that conservative ideas beyond hoarding wealth and promoting bigotry don't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Have a look at stuff like the Blindboy thread going round and you will easily see how much of a lie that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well it was the Conservatives that legislated for Gay Marriage under Cameron which is a stat that completely undermines your point.

As for your point about Biggins, this is such a stereotypical lefty point. Noone is representative of the gay demographic and equally no one is not representative of the gay demographic.

Boris Johnson was voted in mayor of London which has a disproportionately large LGBT demographic. So if your are suggesting that LGBT largely vote Labour you'd be wrong, clearly.

That last paragraph is so incredibly daft. So LGBT people vote Tory because Johnson was elected mayor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_London_mayoral_election

Here are some stats ( I probably just done more investigative journalism than done by staff of GBnews through it's whole run )

It's shows that some areas with a high concentration of LGBT people voted Tory but certainly not the big biggies like Southwark and Lambeth. It also shows that the areas nationality with highest concentrations of LGBT people are also Labour (or Green for Brighton) voting areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Apparently advertising on GB News has dropped to the point where on some ad breaks they just have a screen saying "GB News will resume shortly" or something like that.

Edit: Found where I saw it

Going from strength to strength.

😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Ye are still talking about them, so objective achieved. Jokes on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Rawr

I guess it's now down to how long the investment cash will keep them going. I sort of expected the low-value bulk adverts to hold on for a little longer, (you know, the type of ads that are typical of niche channels at the far end of the channel list). Broadcast Television (outside the likes of the BBC) is all about the advertising cash, and without that there's barely any point financially speaking.

Of course, something might happen to bring them out of this, and there may even be investors out there willing to just burn their cash to support the channel, but really the chances of them avoiding channel closure are getting slimmer by the day. I'm more curious of what form the closure would take. Will they actually plan the closure and do a wind-down of their programming to an eventual end-day? Or, will they just keep running and then hit the wall when they start defaulting on all of their bills, resulting in a very dramatic and public closure? Option 2 seems more like the MO of some of their members. I would half expect the GB News brand to survive the closure and be used on their YouTube channel and potentially their own news website ala Brietbart News. However it would likely be a shell of itself.

*guy who falls off bunch of milk crates while doing a tiktok challenge and breaks his wrist*

"Ha! Joke's on you! You laughed at me breaking my wrist! Objective achieved!*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

their objective is to get people to watch their tv station. that objective has failed miserably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

I would have thought the objective would have been to have, at the very minimum, covered their costs, built a viewership and ideally make a nice profit out of it on top? No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

Sarcasm before midday on a Monday is a dangerous thing!

The trouble is most of the people talking about GB News are making fun of it or pointing out the trouble it's in rather than fans of it talking about how good it is. Because even the people who were supposed to be the target audience aren't watching it in nearly the numbers they had hoped, and many who watched in the beginning have dropped off. That's solely down to the quality of their programming not being good enough.

What was their objective, considering the money and reputation those involved both on and off camera put into it? Does anyone seriously believe investors put so much money into this to "trigger woke lefties" or whatever other buzzwords they use?

Even if they were happy enough to not make a profit in the hopes that the cultural changes they may affect would benefit them further down the line, they're not even showing they're capable of achieving that. Those watching already agree with everything they're saying, and they're just pandering more to that base to try keep viewership up.

"Objective achieved"? What the hell was their objective?

Edit: Ah, see your post above. But I'm sure there'll be some people along soon who'll be saying similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

So anyone who doesn't vote conservative is a lefty loon? Can I start calling anyone who votes right Mini-Hitlers?

It's the use of facile playground name-calling that is helping politics to sink into the cesspool that it is today.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement