Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021 US Open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Zverev certainly has improved in the last year, a lot less flaky than he was, but, still needs to improve. Tsitsipas still young enough to improve, but, his reaction to the FO loss has been poor (also within that match itself, but, that's another story). Medvedev looks to have an excellent chance of making the final as there's no major obstacle in his way, but, he's in his mid twenties, time running out for him to prove his worth, think he'll be overtaken by the younger guys (including Zverev and Tsitsipas in that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Kind of as expected so far in Evans versus Medvedev....pretty much one way traffic so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Thank you Medvedev, part one of shut the Brits up complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Looking a bit ahead and crystal balling, I think Alcaraz has a chance of making the final.

Medvedev could be caught cold in the semi, not having been tested en route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

That's if Alcaraz doesn't have a flop tonight against Gojowcyzk. Hopefully no comedown after the biggest win of his career coupled with playing on a smaller court.

• Advertisement

Fernandez-Kerber is a great battle. Fernandez down a set and 2-4 but took it to a tiebreak and won. Glad we're going to a decider, she totally deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Kerber isn’t enjoying this match as she was during the first set and a lot of the second. And she’s been broken in the final set and is now 3-2 down.

Leylah Fernandez has beaten Angelique kerber in three sets and it was nice to see kerber walk to her side of the net after she won to say something to her.

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

this is a very strange match

Alcaraz - Gojowczyk

Gojowczyk hitting net / wide or pelting away winners

Alcaraz serve not that effective

Alacaraz has won 22 games, Gojowczyk 17

2 sets all

Would be a waste to see Gojowczyk going through in the long term

Gojowczyk has lost his shot range radar completely it seems

Alcaraz just playing smart and letting his opponent miss

I think that it's done and dusted

• Advertisement

And..... youngest ever male US Open quarter-finalist in the open era is Carlos Alcaraz

Can't really see him troubling Medvedev if he gets through to face him but you never know.

So Carlos Alcaraz and Leylah Fernandez are through to the QFs with Emma Raducanu to come tomorrow. Between these three teenagers and the crowds being back it’s made for a very enjoyable tournament.

Felix AA favorite against Alcaraz.

Unsurprising after last night's matches.

Will be an interesting match anyway but Alcaraz's serve looking like an area for improvement even though he has apparently made progress there recently.

Medvedev hit a service return around the post vs Evans and the crowd didn't even notice.

Philistines

Garbine muguruza lost this morning Irish time to Barbora Krejcikova in straight sets but there seemed to be some controversy because Muguruza said to Krejcikova at the end that she was unprofessional because there was a medial time out called.

Pearl-clutcher Whitakker whinging about the Muguruza Krejcikova match being scheduled late

It's the US Open, they have night sessions ffs and the crowd want to see the American (Tiafoe) play really so that was always going to be on first on a Sunday night

Krejcikova may have won RG but she's never even been in the US Open main draw before and relatively unknown Eastern Europeans just aren't a big draw unless you look like Anna Kournikova. And Muguruza has never done much there either.

Alcaraz even if he loses to FAA would end up about ATP 40 so could get into any tournament going forward assuming he can at least maintain that.

With no points to protect he should be able to progress.

Hoping that Zverev Sinner later turns out to be a good one. Sinner looks a bit ungainly on court with those long skinny legs I always think. Makes him look like he has his shorts pulled up too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭klr87

It was only a matter of time that someone called out Krejcikova for her epic toilet breaks and dodgy MTOs. They had already played twice this year, (one win each) and in both matches, Krejcikova took an loong toilet break after losing a tie break. Colour me surprised - not!

Talking about the crowd these 4 were out to make an impression / "be seen" on AA last night

Some match between Bencic and Swiatek, 1 hour 20 minute first set which Bencic won. Rooting for Swiatek, aside from the fact she's already won a grand slam I think she's got the most future potential.

Will also be watching Rogers-Raducanu later, will be interesting to see how Raducanu handles an extremely partisan crowd.

I was utterly bemused by Krejcikova winning RG back in June but to be fair to her she's backed it up very well. Unfortunate that she still has quite a bit to learn about sportsmanship though.

Delighted Alcaraz got the win last night, would love him to get to the final to have a crack at Djokovic but he'll have his work cut out for him to get there.

Nothing too much jumping out at me ATP wise tonight, the Djokovic match is on too late unfortunately.

Just turned on prime video and Zverev is in control of the match.

zverev wins in straight sets but had to work for the third set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

"The first match on Arthur Ashe is done and dusted. The stage is set, the path is clear... it's Emma time."

🤮

I wouldn't hold that against her though she is hugely likeable...but yeah...British press...gonna do what they do!

Catherine Whitakker's fat head would explode if Raducanu makes the 1/4's and would probably get a new dog to name after her.

Ugh

The crowd doesn't seem overly biased towards Rogers, in fact it's somewhat reserved at the moment.

I think Alcaraz will run out of steam by the semi-final at the latest, but it's fun to watch the roller-coaster ride while it lasts.

Well after going 0-2 down early doors but she’s won five games in a row.

Emma Raducanu takes the first set 6-2 after a nervy start which isn’t that unexpected given the size of the court but she’s settled well.

Make that 6 and the first set. It's Rogers who is struggling at the moment, hitting way more unforced errors. Yet she is vastly more experienced at this level: QF here in 2020, and in the 2016 French.

11 games in a row. Rogers has folded like the proverbial cheap suit.

Embarrassing play for Rogers on the big stage.

11 games in a row now.

She gets one to take it over the hour mark.

Bit of a tightening up from Raducanu but she gets over the line on the 4th time of asking.

Bencic will offer more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Rogers is brutal

Rogers looked wrecked....Raducanu very impressive no doubt....won 11 games in a row, for two matches in a row!

6-2,6-1

but...and it's a big but...she has got to the last 8...without beating a seed...

Hopefully she isn't a flash in the pan like Laura Robson.

A tight last game from Raducanu, but does it on her 4th MP. She had not really been put under pressure in any of her 7 matches so far (3 qualifying, 4 MD). So that test is yet to come (against Bencic).

The biggest cheer from the home crowd was when BJK made an appearance and gave her blessings to the crowd. The stadium DJ responded with (what else?) "Philadelphia Freedom".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Barty had no business losing to such a player.

I don't mind the UK press going silly over Emma, we do the same with our few sports stars.

Bencic is flying though so she should get through that match , but still Raducanu looks a special talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Raducanu looks like a special player to be fair. I don't mind the brits getting excited , can't blame them on this particular occasion. I think she will beat Bencic.

She definitely looks like a special player....but Bencic is a serious step up in quality, the first seeded player she has met...I think class and experience will tell, she will beat Raducanu imo.

Raducanu has (understandably) had a wobble in this and last march when serving for the win.

• Advertisement

Raducanu is now up to 74 in the live rankings, with 1001 points. In normal times, that would get you to about mid-50s on the WTA rankings, but a lot of other players are still holding on to points from 2 years ago because of COVID-19. So once those old points go (and they will), Raducanu's "true" ranking will be evident.

That is some jump...she was 343 for year end 2020...

Yeah she's had a kind draw but she's breezed through her sets. It should be a good match anyway. It's cool to see the teenagers doing well!

She definitely has and it's brilliant to see her and the couple of other seriously young players breaking through.

But I just think Bencic will be too good she is in great form going by the olympics performance and results so far (Swiatek is a seriously tough opponent)

Hardly fair to call her a flash in the pain, she suffered incessant injuries to her wrist that ended her career. She's tried returning multiple times and always ended up needing more surgery.

• Advertisement

Yeah to be fair she is definitely rightful favourite. I just have a feeling Raducanu will get the job done , I can see Bencic bottling it because of the expectation on her. Raducanu is in that sweet spot of not having pressure on her and being the unknown quantity. Although that won't last long haha.

That provides a reason....but..two 4th rounds in 2 majors....and nothing really of note since then, it's tremendously sad don't get me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

It was a kind draw for sure, but Tormo last round on paper was tricky. She is coming of a pretty good year and had just beaten Muchova so that was a more impressive result for Emma.

Bencic won the Olympics which should give her a serious boost and clearly in form, as good as time as any for her to finally win a slam.

Well saying flash in the pan implies she just faded away out of poor work ethic/laziness akin to say Bouchard, but fair enough if you didn't mean it that way.

Robson at 19 had made the 4th round of Wimbledon and the US Open with numerous wins in grand slams against the likes of Clijsters, Li Na and Kvitova. So sad what happened, don't think she was ever going to be a consistent figure but I do think she had a couple of grand slams in her.

Emma Raducanu played well after a nervy start but Shelby Rogers gave up in the second set a bit. And yes she’s probably had an “easy” route in the competition but it’s not up to her or any player, she can only control her own game and just play what’s in-front of her.

Otte is injured for sure

Can barely chip slice the ball back at this point

Bummer

Berrettini really looked like possibly the most limited player in the ATP top 10 in this match

Has anyone seen some of the tweets that Sloane Stephens got after her defeat?

https://twitter.com/SluggishLuca/status/1434198525139689477/photo/2

Ugly stuff.

In UK/ Ireland you'd be in court for that like the teenager in Kerry and Ian Wright who got offensive Instagram messages after the eejit lost some computer game where Wright was a character.

The police over here pursue things like that more than some other types of infringements that are harder to solve.

I'm sure that a lot of sports people get it from idiots unfortunately, especially where sports betting is involved.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Djokovic had a very tough match last night

I watched the first 2 sets

The Brooksby guy started off hitting with perfect depth and was making no mistakes - getting everything back

Took the first set 6-1 with a total of 1 unforced errors.

Djokovic wasn't even playing badly

There was a near half an hour game on Djokovic's serve in the fifth game of the second set!

Unreal. Almost half as long as the entire Rogers match. Different sport.

Djokovic eventually "broke down" Brooksby (said hip began to effect him) but it was it was a battle for sure.

If he can reproduce that form regularly he can be a decent player. Will get a rankings boost here also to get into more events. He has gone from the 300's at the start of 2021 to well into the top 100 as he had other good results this year.

Berrettini looked limited to me against Otte - would be a big step up to prove as much of a challenge.

He has the serve but that will really need to be on target - didn't seem great against Otte.

"Thanks Andy, I take that as a compliment," Djokovic said as it was brought up on court after the match.

Crowd even seemed to be be appreciating Djokovic pretty well.

Some have copped on how tough an achievement he is going for.

Still, Djokovic has given up a set in 3 of his 4 matches so far.

Medvedev hasn't had a wobble.

Zverev has only lost 1 set.

It's not as if Djokovic's matches were any tougher than the other two.

Is Djokovic doing rope-a-dope that he's often accused of in the early stages of GSs?

Or genuine lapses in focus, that might be better exploited by Berretini, Zverev or Medvedev?

(I don't expect Berretini on current form to beat Djokovic, but it would be presumptuous to assume a foregone conclusion nevertheless)

• Advertisement
Advertisement