Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Do you have a problem reading? I can spell it out for you and maybe use some flash cards or something, but it may take a while to get them. So I probably won't.

Not my problem if you got lost somewhere, try retracing your steps.

I don't have to

Your tail is already in between your legs along with everyone else peddling this today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The damage from the twitter mob with their lies has already been done.

Many now believe he used the plane.

What an age we live in.

Lies and propaganda.

Fake news even.

So you have a problem with him picking his nose?

Is that why you said nasty habits?

As for the personal insults about me reading etc, just proves my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,620 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If I had accepted this as fact, you might have a point. I didn't though at any point.

You've tried to insinuate I did, just like you tried to say I mentioned Electric Picnic earlier. As you saw, the actual posts didn't support you on that and you dropped it. I have no idea where your tail was though, when you did.

More of the same with your latest angle.

• Advertisement

The nonsense you come out with, homophobic, angry, misogynist, racist etc.. It has been proven impossible to actually have a debate that would in any way lead to a mutual point or close to. So blind defending Leo, I find it pointless and time wasting.

Yes, I find nose picking quite disgusting, especially when somebody is having a good root. I don't even want to know where he wipes what he finds up there.

But that isn't where the issues lie with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

What are you rambling on about? Any recent sightings of Leo tonight you can use as an another anecdote to push your narrative?

Would it be too much for you to roll back and acknowledge your posts earlier were nonsense and apologies for accusing the Tánaiste for using the Government jet now that you know it was transporting a sick child?

I tried to say no such thing

I identified your strategy early in play of applying more veracity to an unsubstantiated rumour than lack of veracity

Faced with the actual facts you held out to the last with saying 'if true' to the facts

I'd be a right eejit to entertain anymore of your crap on the matter at this stage

Back to nonsensing amongst yourselves, this one backfired badly on ye

It did lay bare as I said the sheer zealousy of the vacant hate though as if the other side didn't already know

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If you can find a post of mine that "accused the Tánaiste for using the government jet" (even among the numerous ones where's I stated I found it literally unbelievable) throw them up here and we'll discuss them.

Yet another barefaced lie. They're fairly clocking up this evening.

You wanted me to think the same as you? Is that the point you are trying to make?

I never accepted this as fact, I actually said I found it hard to believe, asked for official statements when a poster said they existed (they didn't) and accepted a journalist's tweet if it was true.

You aren't doing very well fabricating something out of that. No wonder you are once again opting out.

• Advertisement

So you were not one of the first posters this morning to throw up a Twitter link this morning about the non story with a comment about popcorn?

You are fooling no one here. Check your stories before posting them would be my advice. I think it was yourself who posted lies from Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

I don't think posting a link to a tweet is a lie, if the tweet is unverified at the particular time.

I'm not sure if that poster Mc Murphy is the same journalist that the tweet originated from, but to the journalists credit, they at least acknowledged their story needed the clarification they gave it, when the facts emerged about the story.

A lie only becomes a lie, when the one telling the lie has been proven to be telling a lie after all. Something you yourself have been found wanting on a few times this evening (to be fair). I have no dog in this fight, but you've been posting deliberate and provocative misrepresentations this evening on numerous occasions.

It wasn't 'his story' or anyone else's here.

It was a breaking story on twitter posted here for comment and discussion.

Like hundreds of news topics are. It's the lifeblood of the forum actually. Twitter didn't exist I doubt this place would or certainly wouldn't be as active.

He wasn't on the plane, everyone accepts it.

Breaking news story on Twitter? Proves my point. You didn't take long to jump on it in fairness.

Again don't let the facts get in the way of a good story as someone said earlier.

Well it was fascinating to think that he might have been stupid enough to do it.

All you need to do to accept that is to imagine what would have happened if he had.

And the problem for FG is that trust in the leader is at an all time low ebb. I've never known another FG leader so roundly distrusted tbh.

But the upset that this story was discussed is the enduring outcome, given stories like it are discussed all the time about numerous politicians.

Four paragraphs of nothing. Do you agree yet the government jet story was pure nonsense and fake twitter outrage you got caught up in?

If the journalist is correct, no problem accepting it. Nowhere (and I challenge you or anyone else for that matter) did I comment on it as fact.

You don't have a gotcha moment there.

If you are saying people shouldn't be commenting on stories appearing on twitter or newspapers that are speculative, that's a big ask of almost everybody here.

As I said, the reaction because Leo was the subject of a speculative story was gas. Take a look at an awful lot of what gets discussed here with an open mind, it's not as big a deal as you are making out.

Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Well, lots of SF politicians went to the UK to enjoy a concert too. Are you going to condemn them equally?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Well they're not in government, so I don't think it's the same...unless they were calling for EP to be cancelled?

A busy day many people had. You could sense the glee and joy from some when this 'story' about the jet broke. It was as if at long last the enemy was caught and there was no way out!

"We GOT HIM folks, we actually got him" High fives and back-slapping thus ensued.

But of course, the story about the jet itself that made people almost explode with excitement was completely and utterly false, and we still have posters throwing it out there as a means of attack. The old LBJ trick.

This is the culmination of when people obsessively follow someone 24x7 both online and the media and listen out to any and all criticism of them. Like the blow by blow account of each interview on Sunday mornings, for example. Leo lives rent-free in many peoples heads

Now, at least the 'journalist' in question has apologised for the hurt this story has caused that dragged a poor child into a social media fake news storm. Will any poster here do the same after they spent the best part of the day pushing this stories veracity?

Of course not! It's all 'bantz' at the end of the day, am I right? Doesn't matter if an innocent child gets caught up in the 'bantz'

I guess some people need a hobby.

Some people play football, collect stamps, do some gardening, and some follow Leo Varadakr day in day out.

PS: Why would ANYONE today become an Irish politician is beyond me, well done lads on being part of the problem.

• Advertisement

They are still legislators are they not? So again, why no fuss about them but all the fuss about Leo.

Like, no one batted an eyelid when they went to the UK for a festival. Did anyone if FG give out about it? Nope!\

Yet if Leo does it. OUTRAGE!!!!

And again, for clarity's sake, Leo was very much for EP going ahead and work to try and get it over the line and it wasn't even his brief, that was Catherine Martin.

It was Laois Country Council that stoped it in its tracks because of the locals. Check the facts. It's all there. Leo is not a dictator that can snap his fingers and make things happen

Who gives a sh*t if Leo was 'all for concerts going ahead'? Seriously. What does he want for it, a bar of chocolate and a pat on the back? Why was the statement from the Tanaiste's office the same?

Many people are all for it. They don't go on about it looking for some sort of reward or gratitude.

Leo however was directly involved in making the regulations that stopped anything from going ahead, and yet there he is, sitting in a concert in the UK with his fingers up to the rest of us.

No idea who the other TD's were that you mention, and tbh, it wouldn't matter, unless they too have been telling us all that we can't do one thing, but they do it anyway, while under criminal investigation and still in the media for their recent bullsh*t that flew in the face of the general public.

This blind defending will come back to bite you in the ass.

It was Laois Country Council that stoped it in its tracks because of the locals. Check the facts. It's all there. Leo is not a dictator that can snap his fingers and make things happen

Laois Coco were following the guidelines that were made only a few weeks ago - guess who was involved in making them. Once they followed them, they couldn't legally find a way to go back on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

One thing he can definitely be pulled up on is attending a festival with such a dire lineup. 16 year girls would balk at it.

Have you any standards Leo?

Leo however was directly involved in making the regulations that stopped anything from going ahead, and yet there he is, sitting in a concert in the UK with his fingers up to the rest of us.

Ah, good ol' Irish begrudgery! Do you put every other Irish person in the same boat, or just Leo? Are all Irish people who went to festivals in the UK sticking his fingers at the rest of us?

Laois Coco were following the guidelines that were made only a few weeks ago - guess who was involved in making them. Once they followed them, they couldn't legally find a way to go back on it.

Again, check the FACTS!

Laois County Council could have played ball, but didn't. The locals who at the best of times are not a fan of the festival stood their ground over health concerns because they didn't want tens of thousands of people congregating around their small town and potentially spreading covid

I am aware of the facts, you may want to double check them yourself, because your misinterpretation of them is horsecrap.

As for 'begrudgery'. That the best you can come up with? A made up Irishism for people to defend their undeserved status in the big bad world?

How exactly am I misrepresenting them? I'm not the one trying to blame Leo for the fact EP didn't go ahead.

You didn't answer the question either.

What question, the one that was already answered when you quoted?

I never said misrepresenting, you need to learn to read properly. Stop being in such a rush to scream from the mountain tops that Leo does all good.

From this:

https://www.thejournal.ie/electric-picnic-2021-cancelled-5514730-Aug2021/

The statement reads: “Laois County Council has today made the decision to refuse a licence to hold the 2021 Electric Picnic event at Stradbally, Co Laois.

“The decision has been made following the most up-to-date public health advice made available to the Council from the HSE.

“Furthermore, it is noted that under current government measures for the management of Covid-19, events of this nature are restricted to an attendance of 500 people only.”

Remember those guidelines that they were following? Who was making the guidelines then?

And then when Leo was pretending to do all he could and even made the very unusual attempt to get the AG on board, Laois coco released this (Don't worry though, Leo will still get a free ticket next year. ) :

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2021/08/25/laois-county-council-release-statement-following-calls-to-reverse-electric-picnic-refusal-decision/

“There is no provision in law which enables Laois County council to revisit that refusal or reconsider that application.

“Not withstanding the comments emanating from yesterday’s press briefing from NPHET, nothing has changed as regards advice from the HSE, nor has there been any change to the government Public Health Measures in place in respect of hosting of outdoor events, from the position that pertained on the August 4.

“The Planning Authority, Laois County Council, further notes that even if a new application for an event licence is made, the statutory timelines do not allow for the processing of a new application to facilitate the event on the dates as intended in the application previously submitted.”

Cherrypicking quotes. How about some context.

On Monday, managing director of Festival Republic Melvin Benn said he was confident the event would go ahead. He said he based his optimism on the fact no one in Government had told him it would not be allowed.

The original dates for the festival were pushed back to the end of September in the hope that the vast majority of the population would be fully vaccinated by then.

and the local perspective.

Local councilors Paschal McEvoy and Aisling Moran both said it would have been “irresponsible” to hold the event. 

Speaking to The Journal, Fianna Fáil councilor McEvoy said: “The local community as a whole will be happy with this decision but I would be of the opinion that most of them will be happy with it.

“There will be a loss to the local economy but money is one thing but your health is paramount and that overrides any other concerns.

“We have suffered 18 months of a pandemic and we can’t afford to have 70,000 people descend on a small community and possibly suffer the consequences at a later date. We will welcome it back with open arms next year – we love our Picnic, we have enjoyed it, and we look forward to it coming back next year.”

Leo tried what he could do, but he isnt a dictator unless you think that he alone could reverse a decision made by a county council?

According to Independent.ie, Tánaiste Leo Varadkar will be urging his government colleagues to intervene in the decision – and allow the festival and other live outdoor events to go ahead.

This is in contrast to the Government's position that the decision is up to Laois County Council and Electric Picnic's organisers.

Earlier this week, Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan renewed hopes for Electric Picnic, by stating that he had no major concerns about large outdoor events like Electric Picnic going ahead for fully-vaccinated people. Despite this, Laois County Council issued a statement yesterday noting that there is "no provision in law" to change their initial decision.

Again, look at the facts. Laois County council refused to host the festival. The EP organisers tried to push the date back to the end of this month to facilitate the paperwork, but Laois County council simply refused to budge on their decision.

As many of you are aware, we asked Laois County Council to reverse the decision on EP being cancelled this year. Unfortunately, they have not yet done so and we have now run out of time.

https://www.electricpicnic.ie/news/an-update-on-electric-picnic-2021/

But, its all Leo's fault am I right? His fault too Ireland lost to Portugal and barely scraped a draw against the mighty Azerbaijan

• Registered Users Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of people with egg on their faces this morning, you know who you are.

All ready to ‘pile on’ with their cone caps on.

Should be ashamed of yourselves especially some hacks who swallowed the story.

Some media need to take a hard look at themselves.

• Advertisement

This is the age of twitter.

SF supporters here love it and swear by it.

Some random lads in their bedroom quoted as the gospel with news stories.

Many gullible and naive swallow it up.

Af Donald said, the age of fake news.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement