Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Kearney looking game for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

If that doesn't sap whatever positivity anyone had for the season, then I don't know what will.

A lot of the same stuff - we pound at the line but teams that are bigger/can defend competently will deal with us easy enough. Looks like a lot of our tries will come from lineouts imo. Lots of silly mistakes in attack and defence that I can't really be bothered listing.

Obviously it's only a preseason game and quite frankly saracens are that far ahead of us as a squad it might as well be a different sport anyway, so this was sort of expected.

Liking Callum Reid so far outside of the scrum, other 'prospects' not going quite as well tbh.

Agreed not very promising looking forward ! Though in context that is basically an academy team fielded.

Doak is growing on me, few small errors and decision making. But he definitely years a head of were he should be.

Reid has been good and physically, little concerned with his scrummaging though.

Rea Jnr is struggling, not sure he’s an open side.

Also think Kearny will do well for us. Basics and grunt, just what we need!

Why aren’t we using Sextons speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

For some unknown reason sexton cuts in every time. Hasn't tried the outside once.

Just cut in again even though up against a fwd.

• Advertisement

I don't quite think Rea jnr has what it takes to start for Ulster, he looks more like a third choice backrower to me.

There's no doubt sexton has speed but he doesn't always play with it from what I've seen unless he has a lot of open field in front of him. He looks a little panicked and hesitant at times which affects the speed he plays at - hopefully that will improve with time, but you can see why Dan put the brakes on the hype around him.

Bradley Roberts has been a right wee find, looks like a nightmare to tackle.

Postlewaite looks huge!

Conor Rankin has had a shocker of a few minutes.

Same old! no forwards to give go forward, so go wide and get turned over!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I'm not too concerned by that. Thought Reid showed up well, as did Doak. Thought that Sexton got no favours from his wingers or centres, but showed some good nuts and bolts. Positioning good, decent kicking.

But we finished with a raft of U20s on the pitch, everyone got a run out. We didn't play smart in the first half, but we adjusted. All I really care about is no injuries.

• Advertisement

Did Marty Moore leave injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I wouldn't worry too much about that. It was a friendly and I think Saracens were much closer to full strength than Ulster. Arguably no one in the starting XV would start a European match...maybe Carter and Matty Rea. Although that said having pulled it back to 26-21 and with Saracens down to 14 it was disappointing to capitulate like that.

Bradley Roberts was very good. It was difficult for the young lads...Sexton was a bit of a mixed bag, but I just don't think we will make the most of his pace at 15, but I think we need to be patient with him. We missed a punch in midfield (i.e. McCloskey) Doak's kicking is very good, but I'd like to see him shift the ball faster though. He is very Conor Murray like.

Postelwaite is an interesting one. Hopefully we see more of him. He had some nice touches.

I thought Shanahan's distribution was much quicker than Doak's. Good. It'll show Doak that he needs to play the game to the Ulster gameplay i.e. speed.

Thought McCann showed some good touches as well. But we were miles off a first team, certainly in the first half. Missing McGrath, O'Sullivan, Herring, Henderson, Treadwell, Izuchukwu, Murphy, Timoney, Cooney, Burns, Lowry, McCloskey, Marshall, Hume, Stockdale, Baloucoune, Lyttle, Addison, McIlroy,

We capitulated because we had absolute greenhorns and less vaunted Academy players on the pitch in the last ten/fifteen. There's a reason the last few tries were scored on the right wing.

He started the second half but wasn’t on long before Warwick appeared, didn’t see why he left.

Also thought Bradley Roberts is putting his hand up, for the size of him he’s a handful.

McCann definitely looks our best young back row. Good to see Allison finally get some minutes, Hopefully not the last for the season.

U18 Schools

Very entertaining game but Leinster far too good for Ulster especially in the backs.

Ulster 4, 7 and 8 were very good.

Leinster 7 tries. Ulster got 2 tries at the end when Leinster had emptied the bench.

U18 Clubs

Again, very entertaining but more heat than light.

Ulster 8 and 12 were very good. 10 got injured quite early on.

Leinster too strong but the clubs side kept fighting which was encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Leinster were good value for all their wins. Felt like the u19's played well enough at times, but knocked the ball on so many times while leinster never looked like giving it up. Both of our 9's played very well, Irvine did well in the lineout.

Yea, every time Leinster schools went wide I expected a score tbh, there was a huge talent gap in the backs. A couple of the forwards definitely threw themselves about, the 8 in particular had a few good hits and carries.

I'm not a fan of the clubs team having so many schools players but they had a few talented players in the backline. Would've liked to more of the 10 but ended his game with an intercept and a bad injury - he'll have better days. 15 has a very handy left boot. I agree the 12 looked good, both centres probably looked better in attack than the schools team, but their defence wasn't any better.

Disappointing results obviously, but thought there was plenty of promise there.

U18 clubs

L 13 was super. Not the biggest but great feet and hands. Scored first try with an interception.

L10 got all his kicks I think.

Sorry but I didn't get forward numbers as my mate's son was playing so I was more focused on him but some tidy players.

U18 S

Leinster back row and back 3. Particularly L15 who was the best back on the pitch. A threat every time he touched it and passed well off either hand.

• Advertisement

Can't disagree with much of that. I caught most of u19 game as well. Uster were in the lead a couple of times and with the wind at their back I thought they might have held out but as usual SID isn't there. There were three changes that mattered IMHO:

1. Ulster had parity (at least) in scrum (unlike u18 schools who were in trouble at the scrums) and lineout until the hooker was subbed. New hooker overthrew at his first lineout on U22 and Leinster scored off it. Leinster took the lead.

2. Whilst I agree the sub 9 played well, one kick aside, he didn't control the game like the starting 9. It seemed to me that the game got far too loose when the starting 9 left with balls squirting out of rucks and one off fwds picking in the green zone. U had a couple of chances in the last 10 and messed them up whereas in the first half they only got one but 9 controlled pace and they scored. Fast and loose is fine if you have the outside backs which U didn't.

3. Huge difference in benches. L9 scored a nice try when the subs were on and game was loose. Until then he had been quiet enough.

L 10 and 13 looked good.

I agree re the knock ons but I counted 3 in the first half which were the result of the 10 firing the ball into the runners from a few metres away very unsympathetically. Pity.

Yea the 10 had a habit of firing passes, some weren't really going to hand either. He had an okay game but the leinster 10 stood out more to me. Thought some players struggled taking the ball in just at the point of contact as well, almost like they were too focused on the incoming tackle.

I think the early standouts for an academy place from that squad based on what little I've seen would be Wright and Irvine. Would need to see more of McKay, but he's better than average for an age-grade 10 I think. Browne seems decent as well, then there's McNabney you mentioned was highly-rated and Telfer who was mentioned by someone.

First time watching any of the u18's so not much point guessing any of them yet.

Nah, he wasn't. Just mentioned him and Telfer for the sake of including them with the other academy prospects as others have brought them up

Marty sustained a thumb injury and was withdrawn earlier Telegraph saying.

Also Ireland internationals be back for Thursday game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Watched Canada vs USA in RWC qualifying 1st leg on Premier Sports on Saturday and Peter Nelson looked quite impressive.

• Administrators Posts: 53,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I see we took a good humping at the weekend there, albeit with a weakened team.

The decision to not bring in any players is likely to be a very costly one, especially so if this season is basically written off within the first few months. It's not really a decision I can get on board with, letting our most influential player leave early and then not replace him is mad stuff.

This narrative of "we'll only sign someone who'll improve us" is absolute scutter. Take a look at our squad, we are far from a team of galacticos, it wouldn't take much to improve some positions!

Given the league is traditionally of a very low standard, we may still do ok in it, but the addition of a few decent SA teams means that's not the certainty that it usually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

He did but in fairness the standard was probably lower level AIL. If MLR is supposed to be improving the USA team, it sure as hell didn’t show in that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes, so we hear every single season.

I am not really looking forward to this season, as it is somewhat depressing to know in September that we almost certainly are not good enough to win even the prowhatever.

Advertisement