Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Fiber Broadband - should I switch?

Options
  • 01-09-2021 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hello,

My current internet provider is Virgin Media(250Mb).

As usual with Virgin Media they increase prices every year. My current monthly payment for broadband is 62.24€.

Going to call retention service to negotiate a new contract, but I don't think they will agree with a 50% discount for 1 year

The other option is to move to Vodafone - SIRO broadband 500MB for 30€/month

But before contracting their services I have a few questions which existing customers can answer better that customer service.

• Do they provide IPV4 IP addresses?
    • Do they have any restrictions for open ports? Are all ports opened and can be forwarded?
    • Are there any restrictions on protocols you can use? Like VoIP, P2P, UDP, running a VPN server, TCP for some ports
    • Do they enforce their FUP policy(1000Gb/moth)?
    • Do they install the fiber cable for free? or this is extra?

Any other limitation worth mentioning from people using their services for a longer period?

And last, is there a better provider withing same price range(30€)

P.S. SIRO fiberlink is available in my area an there are neighbors with vodafone services(but not technical to answer my above questions)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kodi

The customer service is atrocious. Everything takes hours to get the call through and weeks to resolve. They will scam you if they can (they moved their call center to Egypt, and CS/sales work from the script). If you want to get that price DO NOT contact sales, switch online.

• Do they provide IPV4 IP addresses? You can get the static IP - it's extra.
    • Do they have any restrictions for open ports? Are all ports opened and can be forwarded? No restrictions. Just configure the router properly - default FW on it drops a lot of packets if you are a heavy user.
    • Are there any restrictions on protocols you can use? Like VoIP, P2P, UDP, running a VPN server, TCP for some ports - No. However, they do have a QoS.
    • Do they enforce their FUP policy(1000Gb/month)? - Usually no.
    • Do they install the fiber cable for free? or this is extra? - They can install it for free or they install it for payment upfront then deduct that amount from your bill. Or they force you to pay an installation fee. If you switch online it's free AFAIK.

Be aware this price is promo only - regular for BB + landline is 75/65€ (1Gb/500Mb) or 105/95€ for BB, landline + TV. They WILL try to force you to get the TV package.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭serox_21

Thanks @kodi for your answers, exactly what I wanted to know.

To add up to your responses.

• I won't need a static IP(even if that would be nice, with Virgin Media I have the same IPv4 address for over 4 years, no extra costs). Dynamic IP will be fine.
    • I expect their modem/router to not perform well, so the plan will be to change it after a while. I always reconfigure any provider equipment with my own setting.
    • Noticed that customer service are not any help. They could not answer my above questions.
    • I won't setup any contract over the phone or in store. All is going to be online as BB is what I want only. One year offer will be enough for now. Next year, switch again

Time to have a chat with Virgin Media!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Lots of providers resell SIRO , why Vodafone?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have SIRO and had Vodafone, their customer service is non-existent, really is terrible, if anything goes wrong you'll be on hold for ages and then you'll be told an engineer will look at it. I'm currently with Airwire, they supply a decent FritzBox router and have a good support team, the only problem with them is they are a 9-5 organisation so if anything goes wrong at the weekend you've no-one to contact, they had some outages last year at the weekend and the lack of updates were annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭serox_21

Because is cheapest for similar services(1 year contract), has IPv4 IPs, I can run my own services at home and no restrictions on protocols and port forwarding.

I'm not aware if other providers have similar offers as above.

e.g. I'm currently with Virgin Media(at least for next 30 days) and had to contact their support in order to be switched from shared IPv6 to IPv4 4 years ago.

I'm looking for a stable connection at least 100Mb down/10Mb up, not over phone line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 stephen.dunne

If you ever see yourself needing incoming connectivity make sure Voda don't use CGN.

Advertisement