Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

whelan2 wrote: »
    We were at our outfarm today. There's a fair hill in the yard. I parked my dads jeep on the hill as normal. He was driving the digger with a bale of silage on the front of it. I went on to open a gate, next thing I see the jeep coming down the hill. He drove into the back of it with the bale, he was looking at something else. No damage, old landcruiser, newer yolk would have been damaged.

Jesus - was it near hitting you?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Jesus - was it near hitting you?

No but it's how easy accidents happen

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Sooo is it yourself or the ole lad that’s the rooter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Figerty wrote: »
    Mini digger a great thing to have. Not great for feeding bales though.

my 2.8t will handle a bale no problem , and split it up with a 2ft digging bucket and push it along a few pens. not used a fork/graipe here in 3 years when feeding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

my 2.8t will handle a bale no problem , and split it up with a 2ft digging bucket and push it along a few pens. not used a fork/graipe here in 3 years when feeding

Not good for the final drives to have the weight of a bale down on the bearings.
    I have used but only in a pinch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Figerty wrote: »
    Not good for the final drives to have the weight of a bale down on the bearings.
    I have used but only in a pinch.

Normally bring the bales in with loader

remove the wrap and put the bales into the shed with loader and only push them out with the digger after 12hours of feeding,

But I have moved fulls bales if tractor was busy or away . Definitely considering a skidsteer or telehander here

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭bamayang

NcdJd wrote: »
    I was doing a job for my neighbour on Sunday morning in his yard and noticed he's got 20 gallon drums, buckets and old milk churns strategically placed capturing water coming from various run off / drip points around the sheds... they're everywhere and not a drop of water seems to go to waste even through he has a well pump and a backup petrol pump which I somehow have stored in one of my sheds, its a bit like offsite backup recovery rooter style.. the disaster recovery lads in the data centres would be impressed by this man.

Thats surely a good thing to be doing. Though it sounds on the extreme end in this case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You know you're dealing with a rooter when........

552193.jpg

the slats are getting stuck in the agitator.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

When their idea of buffer feeding is a single ring feeder in the collecting yard to serve 50+ cows. Then they ring you at 7.45 in the morning asking for a hand to free 2 cows stuck in the same headspace. I'm nursing a sore elbow after such an experience this morning. Of course one cow had a fine set of horns just to complicate matters 😒. Anyway managed to free one after a bit but the one with the horns was still collared and she lost the plot trying to free herself. A ring feeder tied to an excited animal is a dangerous weapon. She was like a bulldozer going around the yard and 2 lads trying to hold the feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Good loser

I open 9 or 10 bales for my stock once a week - and push closer to barrier as required. No rooting there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Good one today.

My father and uncle both have caravans. Uncle was over this evening and i presumed it was just a visit. I got home from training at 8.30 and they were still inside drinking tea. At 9.30 when it got dark they made a great burst to fix an issue with the uncles caravan. The great burst meant them holding a torch as i rewired stuff in the dark.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That reminds me of another sign. Caravan next to the dwelling house with the roof caving in on it.

Can afford new caravan yet somehow not house repairs.

See a lad with round bales of straw stacked in the corner of a field. Over the weekend he put a bull and calves in the same field. Straw everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

It's expensive enough without that carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Three bales of hay made in a small little field left beside a new road built over ten years ago left in the field all through winter and were pushed into the ditch this year before it was mowed this year again in a spot near here. Same fella got very scarce for fodder in the spring of 2013 IIRC, relied on us for silage that spring and wed be considered more of a rooter than him around here.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

A lad with a power shaft seized, tied it onto a tree and pulled the back PTO off the tractor done a few k damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

See a lad on Done Deal with a heap of rubbish machinery for sale. In one of the photos you can see a Fiat tractor tied to a bent shed girder, presumably trying to pull it to straighten it. He has the strap tied to the top link mounting point! He's a braver man than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

And the bull and calves were cursed to hell and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

But think of the fun day they had, tails on the back.

• Advertisement

Everytime I drive by I wonder how far the bales will be moved this time. I nearly want to go into him and say wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just in from pulling and dragging a cattle scales out of a ditch, its been returned in the morning and the auld lad was away today so he didnt want it to be stolen this afternoon. I cant understand why he wont just set aside a shed with some security about it is beyond me, welder hidden under the mower, socket set hidden in the bales and other bits and pieces hidden in the nuts tipped in an old dwelling house. Awful hard to deal with after working on LEAN farms.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Well his cover is blown now. Seriously though, he is being a bit extreme.

Yea definitly extreme to be fair, no such thing as a fence in the place but everything is strip grazed and strip grazed very well at that too sometimesbeing moved twice a day sometimes as well as working off farm too. Martyr for hardship. Mowed a field for him a few weeks back told him i was up at half two that morning ill do it if ye have everything set to go ill be back at half five that evening and ill start into it then, it was nearly half 7 when i got going as he wanted to change the blades on it as he had the day off but didnt pick up the blades till 5pm that evening 🙄 in fairness he went to pick them up in the morning in a spot i told him to avoid as they were unreiiable in the past and if he had to just drive 3 miles further up the road he would have had them that morning. Things just couldnt be straightforward around here at all.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

Not until you've been robbed yourself, then you'll see the folly of having one locked shed. Where the 1st place those scum turn to.... The locked shed. Must be something good in there if its locked!. Been there done that. Will admit hiding stuff around place now too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Father be at the same crack, in fairness its clever compared to leaving everything together. Think I'm becoming the same, hiding lawnmower etc behind trees last time I was on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭green daries

It's fierce annoying to be robbed of stuff that may have taken Years to build up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

It's ok if you've a small number of tools but becomes less practical the more you have. It will hardly lead to efficient workflow if you have to uncover hidden tools from all over the yard for every task.

• Advertisement

You have remember where you put them too

Advertisement